Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In Melbourne

Options
  • 25-02-2009 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Im making this a "generalish" thread.
    Im heading to Oz in September for the year, and just looking for general info on Melbourne as thats my first stop, Hoping to stay there for 3 months.

Where to stay, hostels, cheap? Would it be worth renting an apartment for that time?
    Pubs, Clubs??
    Sights that aren't to be missed??
    Customs?
    Driving? Anyone have any info on the cost of buying a minibus or car?
    I dont know anything that you may think i would find interesting or important . . . anything

I have books on australia but looking for informal advice.
    Any feedback would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

do a search on the thread, all your questions are answered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

Driving in Melbourne is an experience. What with all the tram lines, trams, hook turns, left hand lanes full of parked cars, cyclists, suicidal pedestrians and unpredictable drivers. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

the dee wrote: »
    Driving in Melbourne is an experience. What with all the tram lines, trams, hook turns, left hand lanes full of parked cars, cyclists, suicidal pedestrians and unpredictable drivers. Good luck :)

Also what is the f*ckin story with the bus lanes also being car parking spaces. Defeats the point completely :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I think the car park spaces are in use when the bus lanes close but I cant be sure.

Melbourne is also a smorgasbord of speed safety cameras

Trams are like ninjas at sneaking up on you then they ring the bell,

And lets not forget cab drivers blind yellow gits

However at least everything moves any time I think I am in traffic i remember dublins M50 and i feel like i am driving though f**king disneyland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

the dee wrote: »

Cycling is lethal. I don't know how I haven't been killed/seriously injured yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

Cycling is lethal. I don't know how I haven't been killed/seriously injured yet!

I'm lucky, I have that great cycle path along Park Street to get me to work. Wouldn't have anything like that at home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I lived in Melbourne for 3 years and it was my favorite city to live/work in Australia (if not the world). They say Melbourne/Sydney is like Galway/Dublin...I prefer Melbourne to Sydney to live in but Sydney is a great spot for a holiday (loved Coogee)
    Loved everything about it. The markets , the night life , brilliant public transport, loads of cool little areas like China Town , the Italian areas , Greek etc...PM me if you need any details as I don't check this forum often...

Advertisement