Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to put a socket in the attic

• 25-02-2009 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I want to put a socket in the attic to power an amplifier for the tv aerial's signal.

I've had a look at the MCB and it seems that if I get a length, say 2 metres of cable, I can run the cable straight up into the attic (which is directly above the MCB) and then proceed to put the live into one of the existing socket RCD'S and wire the earth and neutral wires to their respective places on the MCB. Hopefully I won't touch the main power supply coming into the house as this would make the wife happy :rolleyes:.

Any problems with this approach before I become an ex-Boardsie???

BTW, since my previous experience with a registered electrical contractor, I have more faith in my own abilities than in the likes of him. I'm not tarring all sparks with the same brush but as I don't know any other electrician, I don't feel comfortable picking some one from the Golden Pages, even if they are registered with RECI or the likes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

If you remove the cover of the consumer unit (not MCB which is a miniature circuit breaker) you are exposing live copper busbars. You need to isolate the supply to the panel first by removing the main fuse, probably a 63A one. Even then the incoming cable from the meter is live. So be careful.

Use a 2.5mm sq twin and earth pvc/pvc cable, you might only want to plug in a small amp but somebody else years down the line might plug in a 2 kW heater, and the cable has to be able to take the load.

The consumer unit will have an RCD which supplies several MCBs for the sockets, make sure you pick one which is not already loaded to capacity. Also there are two neutral bars so you have to get the right one otherwise your RCD will trip constantly due to an unbalanced load. Don't forget to connect the earth, and insulate the bare copper earth conductor with a push on sleeve (green/yellow).

If you know what you are doing and take proper safety precautions there is no reason why you cannot do this, but if you are in any doubt get an electrician to do it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭enmac

I've had a look at the MCB and it seems that if I get a length, say 2 metres of cable, I can run the cable straight up into the attic (which is directly above the MCB) and then proceed to put the live into one of the existing socket RCD'S and wire the earth and neutral wires to their respective places on the MCB.

PD,

With all due respect, you don't know what you're talking about.
    Get a competent person to do the job - Electricty is not very forgiving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Please don't attempt to do this based on advice from an anonymous internet forum.

You'd be better getting a professional to do a proper supply to the attic on its own ring circuit with a new RCD.

On a practical note you will invalidate your house insurance as the original installer's certificate is no longer valid.

It should be illegal for amateurs to tinker in this manner, as it is with gas.

SSE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Please don't attempt to do this based on advice from an anonymous internet forum.

You'd be better getting a professional to do a proper supply to the attic on its own ring circuit with a new RCD.

SSE

A ring circuit for the attic??? :eek:
    (he only wants one socket)

A new RCD for the attic sockets??? :eek:
    (why a new RCD? maybe a new MCB, but no need for a new RCD)

Ummmm i guess this post demonstrates why people shouldn't take advice from an anonymous internet forum ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Get a qualified electrician in seems to be the advice. Well I've spent the past 2 years rectifying the mistakes of a registered electrical contractor who wired my house, e.g. live wires coming out of light switches that hadn't been screwed in properly, same problem with sockets. The cooker switch fused when a neutral came loose and touched the earth. The timer on the heating system also fused. Light switches and sockets placed at angles on the wall - should be square imo. Faceplates come off sockets when plugs are pulled out as the brackets in the boxes that take the screws were broken - the faceplates were held on with caulk!!!!!

Ok so I'm not a qualified sparks but I am a competent DIYer. I've also got a brother in law who works for the ESB and I'm waiting for his phone call before I try anything. If he tells me to back off, then I'll do so as arrogance and live electricity don't mix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Do as Pete67 said. Im sire your brother in law could also advise you if you got stuck. Its a simple job,,once you know what you doing. The crucial thing is do disconnect the mains incomer.

A ring circuit for the attic??? :eek:
    (he only wants one socket)

A new RCD for the attic sockets??? :eek:
    (why a new RCD? maybe a new MCB, but no need for a new RCD)

Ummmm i guess this post demonstrates why people shouldn't take advice from an anonymous internet forum ;)

Yeah I meant breaker.

My point is that, for a bit more cable and a couple of sockets, you can have a proper job done safely. You never know, you might need the circuit one day if you convert the attic. You're scrabbling around in the attic anyway. Better off looking at it than for it eh?

OP - just because one electrician was poor doesn't mean anyone can have a go. Just because your brother in law works for the ESB doesn't mean he's qualified. Your insurance company will be very interested if they discover unauthorised wiring after a fire.

However, after all is said and done, it's your house and your responsibility if you get it wrong.

SSE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Yeah I meant breaker.

My point is that, for a bit more cable and a couple of sockets, you can have a proper job done safely. You never know, you might need the circuit one day if you convert the attic. You're scrabbling around in the attic anyway. Better off looking at it than for it eh?

OP - just because one electrician was poor doesn't mean anyone can have a go. Just because your brother in law works for the ESB doesn't mean he's qualified. Your insurance company will be very interested if they discover unauthorised wiring after a fire.

However, after all is said and done, it's your house and your responsibility if you get it wrong.

SSE

I know the reference to using a RCD was a mistake, but it's probably worth pointing out that to use an RCD to supply a ring main would be dangerous as an RCD does not provide any overload protection. A suitably rated RCBO could be used which is basically an RCD with built in overload protection.

Pete67 wrote: »
    I know the reference to using a RCD was a mistake, but it's probably worth pointing out that to use an RCD to supply a ring main would be dangerous as an RCD does not provide any overload protection. A suitably rated RCBO could be used which is basically an RCD with built in overload protection.

Yeah my dad (semi-retired) was showing me some of these last time I was over there. Trouble with only having one RCD on the board is that it's like British Leyland in the Seventies, one out all out.

SSE

Advertisement