Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from eircom to smart

Options
  • 25-02-2009 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

Im planning on moving from eircoms 3mb package to smarts 4mb package but got a few questions to ask. 1. how long roughly should it take to cancel with eircom and have smart up and running? 2. will my phone be offline during the transistion period? 3. do eircom ask for the netopia router back? how unlimited is smarts package as unlimited broadband doesnt really exist in ireland, thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

I wouldn't go near Smart if I were you, shocking customer service and totally unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Why don't you ring smart and they will give you the most up to
    date information on all of this?

The reason you should ring them is because some of the advice here would be
    from people that have set up their connection with Smart a good while ago
    and things have changed a fair bit.

Unlimited = If you download more than 1TB in a month, they will send you a warning.:)
    Edit..
    totally unreliable.

Whatever about customer service, the above is complete bull****.

Smart are one of the most reliable providers in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

jobucks wrote: »
    I wouldn't go near Smart if I were you, shocking customer service and totally unreliable.
    You sure about that? ive heard nothing but good things about them compared with alot of eircom horror stories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Treade

I'm with Smart and we're happy with them. It depends on where your located though. The local eircom loop needs to have been unbundled to get access to smart

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Shiny wrote: »

Whatever about customer service, the above is complete bull****.

Smart are one of the most reliable providers in Ireland.
    +1
    Fantastic provider - could teach the others a great deal.

• Advertisement

paul150 wrote: »
    You sure about that? ive heard nothing but good things about them compared with alot of eircom horror stories

Same here.
    Never heard a bad thing about them.

Been with them more than a year now, not a single issue and
    always been able to max out the connection(no contention):).

In fact I have always found their customer service to be quite
    helpful in the very few times I needed to contact them.

I was tempted to change to NTL for a while to get the additional
    speed but the general opinion from all the threads about NTL is
    that its better to have the reliability than additional speed which
    you wont use half the time. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

Treade wrote: »
    I'm with Smart and we're happy with them. It depends on where your located though. The local eircom loop needs to have been unbundled to get access to smart
    ive put my phone number into the line checker on the smart website and it says my exchange is smart enabled so i should be able to get it no probs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I use smart and am very happy with the service.
    Smart broadband is unlimited. They don't throttle and there's no contention with other users.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gerkeo

eircom 3mb service with 48 to 1 contention = 62kbps ish at full usage

Smart 4mb service uncontented = 4mbps

hhmmm, let me see?

Also, i can run my Blueface number with no problems on my office smart line, but when I try to run it on my eircom home package (no smart where i live) the calls all mysteriously end after 10 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

I've heard nothing but good things either:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gerkeo

i hope smart have more backbone than eircom,

Eircom & IRMA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gadfly

I'm with Smart almost since the beginning. In that time there has been no problems whatsoever.

As far as I know, you get to keep the Netopia router. At least I did :D

I'm on the 6 Mbps package and get 5.4 Mbps via wireless which isn't bad. They are actually sending 6.9 Mbps down the line!

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

anyone got a link to smart? I too was thinking of moving back to eircom.. now I am not so sure

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

gubby wrote: »
    anyone got a link to smart? I too was thinking of moving back to eircom.. now I am not so sure

What do you mean with a link to Smart ? And why on earth would you ever consider moving back to Eircom ?

/Martin

gubby wrote: »

Link ?

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Have you thought about Magnet........similar to smart but lower price (for higher packs) and free PCTV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Rorser wrote: »
    Have you thought about Magnet........similar to smart but lower price (for higher packs) and free PCTV

Oh tut tut Rorser......Declare your hand at least.... :D

very naughty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

crawler wrote: »
    Oh tut tut Rorser......Declare your hand at least.... :D

very naughty.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57356286&postcount=63

:pac:

Onikage wrote: »

ehh....lads...i make very clear that yes i do work for magnet...its on my profile page. I dont apologise for it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=133528

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

ehh....lads...i make very clear that yes i do work for magnet...its on my profile page. I dont apologise for it.

Yes you do make it clear, however when pimping your employers product, its good manners to mention your connection in the post, imho.

• Advertisement

java wrote: »
    Yes you do make it clear, however when pimping your employers product, its good manners to mention your connection in the post, imho.

Fair point but with all due respects i dont know of any other poster who does that. I have been as honest as i can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Fair point but with all due respects i dont know of any other poster who does that. I have been as honest as i can be.

Most people have it in the sig (Watty, oscarBravo, myself, a few others.), that way, there's no misconception.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Most people have it in the sig (Watty, oscarBravo, myself, a few others.), that way, there's no misconception.

/M

Ok...will do. Where do I set this up? I dont want any confusion about this.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

And do you realistically expect boards readers to check the profile of everybody on here who recommends a product or even knocks one?:rolleyes:

dub45 wrote: »
    And do you realistically expect boards readers to check the profile of everybody on here who recommends a product or even knocks one?:rolleyes:

Hang on now.....this is not a witch hunt....Marlow will hopefully give me a hand on this so that i can right the situation.

Advertisement