Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A passion for running and cycling

• 25-02-2009 3:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Well firstly I’m new to this whole running (properly) business. I’ve read quite a few of the logs and I think they are a brilliant way of tracking progress, the progress made in some of the ones I ve read is outstanding. Have really enjoyed reading them and hoping some people might enjoy this

A Bit about ME:
    Firstly I’m a 25yo male, work as an accountant which means been stuck behind a desk all day. Therefore I love nothing better than getting out of the house in the evenings – football, gym, and now running. Im about 5ft 9 and prob weigh about 11 and half stone (will weigh myself soon - was prob 12 stone after xmas and b4 i started this running) – would like to get down to 11 stone and lose the bit around my gut and firm up.
    Fitness wise I come from a football background. Played since I can remember (about 4) till I was 18 when I got a bad hamstring injury, which kept reoccurring. Back then I would have been playing match 3 to 5 times a week – local club, school team, and representative squad. I continued playing sporadically between the age of 18 and 24, but despite any amount of physio, orthotics the injury continued to reoccur. (Im quite Bo-legged and this was given as the underlying reason)
    Anyway I hadn’t played for a year and then I went back to it this September (agreed when I had a few too many). Since then I ve miraculously had no problems with my hamstring at all and continue playing away although at a lower (and more enjoyable) level. Train Tues and Thursday and play Sunday morning.
    I should prob mention that I got into a bit of a rut when I gave up football – drank too much, got involved in betting horses (not seriously), put on weight – prob got up to 12 and half stone, lost my self confidence etc etc. Loving been back playing football and this new found love of running is brilliant.

My Passion for Running
    Well basically I ve also liked the idea of doing a marathon and wanted to do one day. I probably always thought it was beyond me and anyway I never had the chance to train for it with college, work, and accountancy exams. Also the aforementioned injury was more than a little problem (few miles on the roads and it was tight for days).
    I decided id run a marathon for charity (Irish cancer society) after my granny died 2 years ago but could never really do anything about it for the above reasons. So as I got my accountancy qualification in November, and am back playing football I decided my New Year’s resolution was to run the marathon.
    So that’s the ultimate goal – to run the Dublin City Marathon in October.
    Since I started running in early January I ve completely fallen in love with it and obsessed (thanks woddle with that 1000-mile challenge) by it. I like the challenge, endurance and test of mental strength involved.

So Far
    Think im about 44th in that dam challenge which isn’t too bad. Hope to improve that along the way as I build up the distances. At the moment im doing a 5km run after or before football on Tuesdays and Thursdays, a decent run (8 to 10km) on a Monday, a long run (12km to 16km) on a Wednesday nite and a recovery/slowish run on a Friday morning. Saturday is a day off and Sunday is a football match.
    My longest run is to date is 16km in 1 hr 17mins, my best 5km time is 21:21 and I ve done a very comfortable 10km in 47:xx.
    I can feel I ve made a good bit of progress already – use to do the same 5km route in about 23mins. Had never run more than 10km before and have 3 times now. Recovery is quicker and can run reasonable distances 2 to 3 days in a row.
    Still a long, long, way to go though…………

<U>My Goals
      </U>
    • Train well for the next 2 to 3 weeks (I’ve missed Sunday till today with a dead leg)
    • Run in a race, then some more and so on
    • Get my 5k time below 20mins
    • Get my 10k time below 45 mins first then 44mins and so on
    • Run a half marathon somewhere (couldn’t estimate a time yet)
    • Maybe run a marathon pre Dublin (June, July or Aug) with no time in mind for the experience
    • Run the Dublin city marathon in under 3hrs 45 mins
    As always thanks to you all for reading. Feel free to leave comments/advise/constructive criticism or even abuse for the length of this dam thing (sorry). Questions always welcome too!
    I ll try update this every day or every second day at least and keep it going all the way up to October.

Brian

PS All my posts from here on will be much shorter!!!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Just reading your opening post in your log and it sounds so like mine, this time last year and the advice I would like to give is enjoy, be consistant and don't get caught up with doing too much too soon. My first race last year was the paddys day 5k and I did this just really to have a marker set down so I could see where I am and where I want to go. Don't be afraid to enter a race or 2. Look forward to reading your log and best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hi kennyb3
    you seem to have a very clear veiw of where you are and what you want to acheive, which is great.
    all i can say is be consistent with your training and all your goals are within your grasp.
    best of luck with your training and log

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Consistency seems to be the key word anyway. im generally good at sticking to schedules and training once i get my teeth ino something so hopefully that will continue. i ll do my best anyway and have some fun along the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Looks to me like 3:45 is well within your grasp. If you can stay healthy and keep training between now and Dublin I'd say you'll go much faster. Also, you'll probably go a lot faster in races than training so if you're doing 48 minutes for 10k in training now, you'll may well be able to run sub-40 in races soon enough.

cfitz wrote: »
    Looks to me like 3:45 is well within your grasp. If you can stay healthy and keep training between now and Dublin I'd say you'll go much faster. Also, you'll probably go a lot faster in races than training so if you're doing 48 minutes for 10k in training now, you'll may well be able to run sub-40 in races soon enough.
    Thanks. Always wondered about ths (what affect race conditions would have on my time). guess there is only one good way to find out....

• Advertisement

Well everyone's different, but I think most people get a lot more out of themselves on race day. Also, your body won't be able to handle 100% effort every day, it's not practical or sensible to run a time-trial every day.

Well everyone's different, but I think most people get a lot more out of themselves on race day. Also, your body won't be able to handle 100% effort every day, it's not practical or sensible to run a time-trial every day.
    Yeah i soon copped onto that. went out very hard for that 5km time on what is a hilly route, hurt more after that than i would a slow 10 to km run. actually dying to give the same 5km a real belt again soon now i ve good few more runs under my belt. can defo see races helping me, id be quite competitive and use it to hang onto someone in front of me. altho i guess you have to be sensible to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Welcome kennyb3. Great initial post. Good luck with your objectives. Its great to have this kind of network for support in your first marathon. I wish I had a similar support network for advice etc when I did mine. You're clear in your goals and they are very realistic if you build up progressively and don't overdue it.

Good to see all the logs on the go! 2 days of not updating and im half way down page 2. well basically i had a pretty nasty dead leg up until yesterday from my football match sunday so hadnt run all week. can see the football injuries being a hinderance to my running from time to time but i ll stick with it. i ll get a clear un in the summer anyway with no football.

so got out and did a very comfortable relaxed 5km which is pretty much a loop around balbriggan. did it in just over 23mins. hopefully get out for another 5km tonight then just relax up until my match sunday morning.

hopefully get ssome decent mileage in next week and get back up this 1000 mile challenge board - a few days off really sets you back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

kennyb3 you'll be top of the list for a moment anyway after this.
    Welcome anyway.
    You will probably find that keeping this kind of a log will keep you motivated also.

• Advertisement

This ended up being a weird mixed run. went easy on the first 5km as had planned on just doing a nice comfortable 10km in about 47mins. went true the first 5km in about 23 mins or so then decided i wanted to run bit harder for the next 5k and try get under 46mins. have only run exactly 10km once before, done 3 longer runs but not sure what time i went true 10km in (can and should check). best for 10km was 47mins odd.

anyway came home in 45:21, a new PB - not a huge thing given its only my 2nd one, but must say its good bit faster than i expected to be running at this stage- so very happy enough.Had the following km splits:

4:34, 4:31, 4:37, 4:38, 4:40

4:39, 4:25, 4:32, 4:24, 4:19

- this shows the second half was 41 seconds faster (I think:D). it did feel quite hard and was shattered at the end. grand now tho as was fresh before hand

As someone who usually goes out faster and hangs on i know i can defo break 45 mins soon (one of my first goals).

now for some pasta and water!! going to carb load later with plenty of beer, rest day 2moro b4 football sunday so may as well take advantage!! havent been out for a few too many in a while so looking forward to it.

talk to you all sunday evening. enjoy your weekends and good luck to everybody running races over it!!

:)

Felt fairly stiff and sore after a bruising (to include two black eyes) football match on sunday morning but was determined to go out for a nice long slow run. id say at least 50% of my motivation was the 1000 mile challenge (so thank woddle).

went out at 5min per km pace and kept it at that all the way round. legs did feel like lead at times, its tough going when you dont feel fresh but glad i got it all done. finished in 1 hr 24mins. actaully feel less stiff and sore than before i went for the run yesterday. Delighted after this its my furthest yet and now my fourth run over 10km in the last 3 weeks.

prob do 5km after footy training tonight, not sure what to do wednesday. 5km before football thurs. going to take a rest day friday and hopefully do a 20km run on sat. really just wanna get the miles into my legs this week after missing few days last week.

prob work a bit more on speed and times next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Welcome aboard kenny - this time last year I was starting back after a long absence from running and also targetted the dublin Marathon - i completed in 3:47 which is around your target time although I'd say your currently in a better position to do a much better time.

As has been said before build it up gradually don;t get hung up on the 1000 mile challenge the higher miles will come later in the year your body needs to get acustomed to it, don't treat every session like a race that way it will leave you feeling fresh when you do go for a speed session

Best of Luck!

ike wrote: »
    Welcome aboard kenny - this time last year I was starting back after a long absence from running and also targetted the dublin Marathon - i completed in 3:47 which is around your target time although I'd say your currently in a better position to do a much better time.

As has been said before build it up gradually don;t get hung up on the 1000 mile challenge the higher miles will come later in the year your body needs to get acustomed to it, don't treat every session like a race that way it will leave you feeling fresh when you do go for a speed session

Best of Luck!
    thanks a million ike. I have a tendancy to get caught up with things (such as this challenge). i feel like im in a good position now, main thing is to stay motivated and free of injury. going to get some shorter races in soon enough - 5m and 10k and later on a half.

p.s i really enjoyed reading your log along with a few of the others

5km after training. done in 24 and change. just took it easy and cruised around.

not sure what to do for tomorrows session, if feeling fresh migh try and smash my 5km or 10km PB on my usual route. if not might take a nite off and do a big one thurs (no footy training for once). or maybe i should run both nites and split the distance. any suggestions anyone? pros and cons.

also does anyone know if there is any races around leinster saturday or sunday (preferrably non xc) as i ve no footy match this week.

Thanks for listening

well absolutely delighted with this. 31 seconds off my previous pb over this route. ran very hard and was very tired in the last km, couldnt really quicken up like i wanted.

still when i did 21:21 wasnt sure how id take more than 10 to 15 seconds off that so to take 31 off is great and hopefully i can keep progressing. go out tiny bit faster and maybe be stronger in last km.

still going under 20 will be tough. thats one of my main goals. prob need a race situation.

getting plenty of running done this weekend with the girlfriend working nites. have to say im constantly hungry tho. missing my chocolate and biscuits which i ve given up for lenght.

must try smash 45 mins next for 10km

sleep time now!!!:)

should add that the splits were:

4:13, 4:10, 4:13, 4:07, 4:06 per km

There doesn't seem to be many suitable races for you on this weekend. I think there's a 3000m race in ALSAA on Tuesday night though.

There doesn't seem to be many suitable races for you on this weekend. I think there's a 3000m race in ALSAA on Tuesday night though.
    thanks cfitz, that would of been perfect but for god damn football training! trying to do both is proving difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

good luck with your log kennyb. you seem like a guy that likes to analyze your times/distances/mile splits. if u dont have one already could i suggest you check out the garmin forerunner 405 gps watch or similar. it tells u everything u might need to know about any training run and i find it a motivating device. being an accountant, i'm sure u wont mind evenings reviewing and analysing your training runsto your hearts content! good luck and keep posting.

• Advertisement

good luck with your log kennyb. you seem like a guy that likes to analyze your times/distances/mile splits. if u dont have one already could i suggest you check out the garmin forerunner 405 gps watch or similar. it tells u everything u might need to know about any training run and i find it a motivating device. being an accountant, i'm sure u wont mind evenings reviewing and analysing your training runsto your hearts content! good luck and keep posting.
    Thanks, yeah i bought a forerunner 50 with footpod when i started. kind of wish id gone the full whack and got a 305 or 405. want to get a heart monitor. and like you say i think its the accountant in me that loves analysing my runs. really think it helps me improve too. i use to go out way way too slow early b4 i got the watch. would love to have the gps version tho - a poor mistake imo. ah well

Well up to now id only gone as far as 17km, i know i should do the 10% build up thingy but really wanted to try run my first half marathon in training tonight - after all my ultimate goal is to run a full one. So wanted to feel what a half felt like.

Well i got it done in 1hr 38mins 49 seconds (approx 99mins). not sure how great a time this is, but well happy that its well under 5min km pace.

have to say the last 3km were very tough guess its into unknown territory (4.1km over my furthest beforehand). i hurt here quite a bit mainly with a sore calf

really enjoyed the run but a marathon is a long long way. i know that is stating the obvious and im in a good position at this stage for breaking 3:45 but it really is going to be tough.

im absolutely shattered now and my long run planned for sat morning is already cancelled, might do 5km or 10km instead. have a serious cramp like feeling in my left calf even tho it didnt actually cramp or hamper me going around.

anyway as always i like to put my splits here (more for my own analysis so here they are:

av lap = 4 41 per km

4:43, 4:42, 4:47, 4:46, 4:42 (5km in 23:40)

4:43, 4:36, 4:37, 4:41, 4:41 (5km in 23:18, 10km in 46:58)

4:45, 4:47, 4:41, 4:41, 4:44 (5km in 23:38)

4:39, 4:41, 4:43, 4:45, 4:44 (5km in 23:32, 2nd 10km in 47:10)

4:14, 0:27 (1.1km in 4:41)

im hoping that 99mins is a reasonable time for the distane, will check other logs and posts etc and hopefully be reasonably encouraged. if not i ll be well sad!!

now food agus sleep!! could eat for ireland after that run

looking forward to a day off 2moro (running not work unfortunately!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

that really is an impressive half time. and yourr splits are healthily even pace. well done. i would have thought u would be well capable of doing sub 345. just beware obviously the x factor that happens to alot (including yours truly) at mile 18+ when teh going gets tough. but that really is an excellent time for first? half mara attempt in taining. keep it up - could ya give an overall mile/min pace in future for the oul fellas amongst us ta.

that really is an impressive half time. and yourr splits are healthily even pace. well done. i would have thought u would be well capable of doing sub 345. just beware obviously the x factor that happens to alot (including yours truly) at mile 18+ when teh going gets tough. but that really is an excellent time for first? half mara attempt in taining. keep it up - could ya give an overall mile/min pace in future for the oul fellas amongst us ta.
    Thanks a million for the encouragement, was fairly pleased with myself. mainly that i was able to keep my pace going throughout. defo think i know what you mean by the x factor, cause last 3km (the unknown bit) were very tough - can only imagine what the last 6 to 8 miles of the marathon will be like!!(scary).

was just thinking i must switch the watch to miles from km. think i had it at km initially to help build confidence - 21.1 km sound so much further than 13.1 miles.

plugged it into calculator there and works out at 7:32 pace for the half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

That is great running. How are you feeling today?

When I did my first marathon (last year) I did the first half in 1:38, and went on to finish in 3:25. Yes, a positive split, and I was wrecked for the last two miles. Two months later I did Dublin marathon 4 minutes faster, but covered the first half in 1:44. Sometimes you have to go slower to go faster. :)

I found it handy to keep the watch in kms for 10k races, and in miles for half and fulls.

That is great running. How are you feeling today?

When I did my first marathon (last year) I did the first half in 1:38, and went on to finish in 3:25. Yes, a positive split, and I was wrecked for the last two miles. Two months later I did Dublin marathon 4 minutes faster, but covered the first half in 1:44. Sometimes you have to go slower to go faster. :)

I found it handy to keep the watch in kms for 10k races, and in miles for half and fulls.
    Thanks krusty, not feeling too bad today. right knee is a little sore and left calf is tight as it felt like it was going to cramp with bout 3km to go but nevre did. nothing a day off and some stretches wont solve.

wow that was some running for your first marathon. 3.25 is an excellent time (im jealous!!). my initial goal would be to break 4 hours which should be very comfortable but realistically id be wanting sub 3:45 for myself. doubt i ll push it too hard on the first one to break 3:30, but we ll see its along way off. see how training etc goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Don't undersell yourself (don't over-do it either though!). My Connemara half marathon time 4 months before that marathon was 1:44 (albeit a hilly course). Best thing to do is to narrow down your marathon target time over the months of training leading up to the race, and set (and stick with) a time two weeks before the race.

Don't undersell yourself (don't over-do it either though!). My Connemara half marathon time 4 months before that marathon was 1:44 (albeit a hilly course). Best thing to do is to narrow down your marathon target time over the months of training leading up to the race, and set (and stick with) a time two weeks before the race.
    Yeah sound advice and fair comments. just kind of dont want to build myself up too much at this stage. alot can go wrong (and a lot can go right i guess). way to far off to make predictions but i know i have the capabilities of going sub 3:45 now (and prob even close to 3:35) with the right training.

my big goal for next few weeks is to do a sub 20 5km. i want it so bad!! also like to get down to about 44 in the 10km. we ll see!!

If you're goal is to run a sub-20 minute 5k in the next few weeks then I suggest that your normal day's run should be further than 5k and at an easier pace (maybe 6.5km in 30-35 minutes). Then once/twice per week you can do some faster runs (maybe 2.5km in 10min) and/or some reps (maybe 4-5 x 1km in 4 min with 2 min recovery). The faster days should include a short warm-up and cool-down. Once a week you could do a longer run of 50-70 minutes (though I see you are doing more than this already!).

• Advertisement

If you're goal is to run a sub-20 minute 5k in the next few weeks then I suggest that your normal day's run should be further than 5k and at an easier pace (maybe 6.5km in 30-35 minutes). Then once/twice per week you can do some faster runs (maybe 2.5km in 10min) and/or some reps (maybe 4-5 x 1km in 4 min with 2 min recovery). The faster days should include a short warm-up and cool-down. Once a week you could do a longer run of 50-70 minutes (though I see you are doing more than this already!).
    thanks a million i think i ll put this plan into action and let you know how i get on. really gunning for this sub 20 now!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement