Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A passion for running and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

Best of luck with the race. The thread was enjoyable to read as are a lot of the others. I'm just starting back running after a long lay off and it's motivating to read these. Think i'll have to start one to push me to train regularly. Enjoy the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Thanks Eco. What was the injury lay off? i defo find it helps. can look back at stuff and tracks your progress, state of mind etc. helps highlight where you can be going wrong too as i have too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

Ran the ballycotton 10M back in March and managed to keep up the training for a while afterwards but with the arrival of our beautiful girl in June training was put on hold for a few months. Waking every 2 hours during the night wasn't the best for energy levels but thankfully things have settled a bit and i'm starting to get out on the road again.

Had an absolutely brilliant day racing. This was only my second race ever, and a bit of a step up in distance from the 5k i did in May. I love races, makes the training worthwhile!

Yesterday was thinking id run it as a training run but realised that just aint me and knew when i woke up this morning id run the firs 5miles at a decent pace and take it from there.

Before i start into the race itself just want say was great to meet fellow boardies, in particular Gerard who came up and introduced himself before hand. we chatted for a while and that helped calm my nerves. was actually nervous the night before and didnt sleep great. he thankfully warned me of the hills.

Also want to say a big thanks to the organisers, i thought the whole morning was brilliant and well run. the goody bag after hit the spot - esp the bars and crisps - yum, yum.

there was a great atmosphere about the place for the whole race and after. also thanks to the support - everybody was unreal and great to see people like krusty etc out shouting for fellow boardies, i hope to return the favour some day

The Race

Jumped into wave 2 as thought id prob go round around 1 hr 40 or so as wasnt planning on killing myself 4 weeks before the marathon. also knew it would be better to be at the front of that pen than out the back of wave 1. Decided id run 4:45 per km or so for 8k and see how i was feeling - easy off and use it for training or push on.

Left Ger just as we started walking forward and manouvered around people who i knew would hold me up and close enough to the top. i like to get a couple of quick first k's in while the adrenalin is flowing too. anyway off we went, and i learned how to dodge in and out of people. first k in 4:22 (see full splits below). thought to myself - bit fast, steady on - 20 more remember. 2k 4:43 - maybe a bit too much steadying of myself.

basically i got into a lovely rythm, found a few people running around my pace for bit, ran beside or behind them. was going too well tho and found myself constantly dropping them. all i can say is i love race adrenalin, couldnt believe how easy and nice i was going for first 10k. i couldnt believe i was gliding along at 4:30km's or so. cvouldnt help but think this was too fast and id pay later! my breathing just felt great.

was even able to find time to relax and wave at krusty at miles 1 and 6 (or maybe 7). loads of boardies about and plenty of shouts from the crowd.

have to say starting in wave 2 was the best idea ever - spent the whole race going past people which is great for confidence. i was constantly catching and going past people. a few people went past me all the same but most i knew id be seeing later and sure enough i did.

skipped the first water station. tried a drink at the 2nd water station. Nearly choked!! how the fcuk do people drink on the run???

anyway half my water went down the wrong way and the other half all over me. think i ll bring a straw in my shorts on marathon day or something. seen woddle off the side of the road just after the 2nd water station - mad cnut doing it week after berlin :D, but seen in his log he finished and in decent time too - fair play.

had a bit of a pain in my hole running on the grass past people but not going to moan too much. that first hill not long after the 2nd water station was fun - lot of people seeemed o struggle - lovely - more passing people out. gwas delighted how well i was going. the ones round mile 10 and 11 werent so fun!!

round half way i remember think - great im on for 1 37 or so. have no idea how i got to 1:34. as havent posted the splits yet myself (they re below) i dont know - see now in a sec.

from bout kilometer 16 on i started to suffer bit more, think that was mainly tho cause i wasnt slowing my pace not even by a bit. and mentally i was preparing myself for these hills everyone was telling me about ahead. so it was surge up the hillls relax on the way down. round mile 10 i figured out my garmin 50 is bit out - but in good way, id less to run than i thought. lovely jubbly! think thats were i made up the time ( as compared to my own calcs). as it turned out i had 400m less to do than i thought - was delighted when i found this out when there was only mile left when i thought i had just over 2k left.

last 2k were really hard but thats cause i was pushing it. was glad to finish, there was no sprint finish, im ot the type. before i post the splits must say ouch my nipples. wear same top training but for whatever reason today it cut the **** of my nipples.

anyway most of the race is a blur scenery wise, but god that phoenix park is big. .
    so here is how the race went split wise. Like i say my garmin measured it at 20.8k but im told by the gps wearing guys it was spot on:

4:22, 4:43, 4:40, 4:38, 4:40 (23:03)
    4:42, 4:35, 4:34, 4:31, 4:30 (22:54) (10k - 45:57)
    4:27, 4:32, 4:35, 4:33, 4:26 (22:33)
    4:32, 4:37, 4:37, 4:30, 4:26 (22:42) (10k - 45:15)
    3:08 (800m)

1:34:20 by mine - 1:34:18 official.

anyway absolutely over the moon and been on a high all day - my poor girlfriend listening to me. this exceeded my expectations by at least 4mins. cant believe i ran the 2nd half faster - not like me at all. consistent enough pacing

only thing i can say negitavely is that i wish id ran the first 6k faster, that would be my way of improving next time. given i ve done no real long runs due to the achilles injury i had i can only be on cloud 9. main thing is i enjoyed it so much!!

so where does that leave me marathon wise? well 1stly im not getting carried away, there will be no attempt on 3:20 or so! i missed months through injury and am woefully short of long runs. but i will get two long runs in over the next 2 weeks and continue to up my mileage (been gradually going up lately). then on the day i ll aim for 3:35 to 3:45 and be strict about it - i was tired in last 4k today.

i feel if i slow the pace up, i ll be more comfortable and conserve energy, and hopefully teh lack of long runs wont catch up. pacing will be key tho.

my god i havent stopped eating since i ve been strict with my diet lately but so far i ve had:

1 mars bar, 1 star bar, 1 museli bar, 2 packs of tayto, a spar sandwich, a third of a pizza, a can of coke. oh and what feels like 65litres of water

and now thinking of a chinese later. thanks for listening all. what a day. hope to see you all again soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

kennyb3 wrote: »
    my god i havent stopped eating since i ve been strict with my diet lately but so far i ve had:

1 mars bar, 1 star bar, 1 museli bar, 2 packs of tayto, a spar sandwich, a third of a pizza, a can of coke. oh and what feels like 65litres of water

and now thinking of a chinese later. thanks for listening all. what a day. hope to see you all again soon!!
    Ah yes, post-race munchies... Mine today consisted of SO many sweets it's not even funny!

Congrats anyway, very good time :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

brilliant running, congrats kenny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Well done Kennyb, smashing time, look forward to meeting you at the next one. Congrats

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Now I want a star bar. :(

Good running Kenny, especially for whats only your second race. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Well done Kenny...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Well done Kenny, nice report. I bet a tener you go for 3.20 in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

kennyb3 wrote: »
    skipped the first water station. tried a drink at the 2nd water station. Nearly choked!! how the fcuk do people drink on the run???

Hold the cup about half an inch down from the rim with your thumb and forefinger pointing towards you. Pinch your thumb and forefinger together which will pretty much seal the cup and stop water from sloshing out, then drink from where your thumb and forefinger are, sort of creates a funnel effect and gives a slow steady stream of water.

Practice it, as it's a skill well worth learning. Get some of those plastic cups, fill them with water and put them on your car bonnet, and just run past a few times picking up a cup and drinking from it. You'll look silly, but it's worth it!

....and just after I wrote that, I find this picture of me doing this yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Well done Kenny, nice report. I bet a tener you go for 3.20 in Dublin.

+1, you actually have no choice BUT to make this your target, McMillan insists! Nice running yesterday, good to bump into you at the end

@ peckham, thanks a mill will try that

@ misty and christeb, ha ha lads thanks for the peer pressure :D, but to be honest i just cant see it. im too short on longer uns and will crash and burn if i even attempt it. want to make sure i finish it comfortably enough. there ll be plenty more marathons to really push it

@ christeb, nice to meet you too. hopefully meet you for a run at some stage post marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Peckham wrote: »
    this picture of me doing this yesterday!
    You should have shared that tip with the guy beside you, who obviously just got a lung-ful of water! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

fair play kennyb. that is some time - and we all know you went awol on the oul bike for a while in training !:)

Sunday 27th

Rest - should have done 3 mile recovery run but was lazy.

Weekly mileage (monday - Sunday) = 38 miles

Monday 28th

16.77miles (27k) in 2hrs 20mins (@8.20 pace). was quite stiff starting out and thought i was going to have to call it a recpvery run after 4k as my calves were annoying me. struggled through and gradually got better. happy with the time on my feet. prob ran a bit fast, given this included 3 toilet stops and 2 to stretch. Think 3hrs 30 is deffo on if i make there in one piece, which leads me to the next bit.

About a km from home my foot became quite sore and i hobbled home. was sore for the hour before bed. woke up this morning and its very sore to put weight on but not sore to touch, as if its internal. dont care if its bit of internal bruising and needs a few days rest, but just have myself freaked it could be a stress fracture.

not sure what to do, give it day or two and see if it eases? go to the hospital? or physio?

Delighted with the run, but totally tarnished by the sore foot

Just back from the physio, have a slightly inflamed peroneal tendon and a touch of Plantar fasciitis. very mild tho. got a good massage and some ultrasound.

its leg up for 3-4days, back to the physio and take it from there.

Clearly from overuse - my 30 miles in 3 days wasnt exactly the stuff of genius but i knew what i was doing and took a calculated gamble, as i was a bit behind on the long runs for DCM - didnt pay off, but i tried.

not annoyed or mad with myself at all i knew it was a risk and one worth taking in my opinion. i could be back running by next wednesday or thurs, so dcm aint out the window. i really want to do it after all the training and for charity. but i ll give it a week and see what the injury says. start off with easy runs back, no going mad.

if i do do it, i ll take 3-4 weeks off after, give the body rest and start a base building phase and do the whole running training thing the right way not the cramming way i ve done lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

At least its not a stress fracture, something to be glad off. A few days off isn't a disaster, just be patient, I know what trying to come back too soon can do. Even if you have to modify your DCM goals slightly- no big deal, there will be plenty of other marathons in the future. Good luck with the recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Tough luck, hope it heals in enough time for you. I'm feeling a bit behind with the long runs myself and I'm tempted to throw a few in, but I'll rethink it. Hope you're back to normal by next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

unlucky, but a couple of days might do you the world of good

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sorry to hear that, but agree 100% with gerard65. Most important thing is to heal/recover and worry about the goals after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Best of luck with the recovery kennyb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Sorry to about the injury Kennyb3. Good to see you're staying positive though.

Can you x-train (cycle) on it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sorry to hear of the injury. Hopefully you can still power through for the marathon. Take it easy the last thing you want is to aggravate it in the marathon and be out for even longer. Can you keep the fitness up on the bike/in the gym or anything?

Thanks all for the well wishes. going to let it recover and just see from there.

will most likely do some swimming (i think the gods are trying to turn me to tri), as applying pressure to the base of my foot through cycling would no doubt make it worse or at least hamper recovery time.

I will just ensure i give it proper rest as i dont want to end up with a re-occuring problem. Am half tempted to shelf the marathon anyway and do it right in the spring, but we ll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

Hope you sort it out. I've been getting sore feet from all the running while my body adjusts to running. I can second what people said on the thread about rollers and ice etc.

A physio told me after every run to ice my calves and its really helped. Thinking about doing an ice bath this weekend after my long run for a bit of self torture....

ha ha i know that torture, my foot has been an ice bath about 4 times a day for the last 2 days.

Hope the marathon goes well for you.

Think its back to building slow base mileage for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭wizwill

Sorry to hear of your injury. Something you might try when you are back to good health is rolling your foot over a tennis ball for a little while a couple of times a day, works wonders for my slight planters.

• Advertisement

wizwill wrote: »
    Sorry to hear of your injury. Something you might try when you are back to good health is rolling your foot over a tennis ball for a little while a couple of times a day, works wonders for my slight planters.
    exactly what the physio recommended and i ve been doing! thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement