Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A passion for running and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

So after 2 trips to the physio and 2 weeks rest i tried a run this evening, but foot still aint right. did 3 and half k, foot was grand for first 2k but then got a iittle sore. nothing serious and can walk around no problem, unlike 2 weeks ago. but need at least another weeks rest. worst part is i ve absolutely no patience and when im not running im eating and drinking.

so cant wait to get back. feel real stupid for inflicting this on myself. lesson learnt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

at least kennyb3 your on the mend. Best of luck. Hope your not going too mad

bit mad yeah. at least in the summer when i was injured i was able to cycle for hours in teh evening now its too dark. thinking of trying swimming - feels like im meant to have a go at tri's. btw , quality training from you, and i think you ve the right approach - aim for 2:50 and not just 2:59. best of luck with it. i ll prob go watch the big day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Sorry to hear the kennyb, it's terrible getting so close to just miss out, a great half marathon time though, so you know you have a really good marathon in you, enjoy the base building

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

misery loves company :)

hard luck on the injury, i don't know about you but it actually feels a little better to kill off the marathon idea than go from week to week hoping it's better. Pressure's off now; heal properly and come back stronger and wiser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Hey, sorry to hear that the injury hasn't cleared up Kennyb3.

Saw your post in Carb's log earlier regarding turbos. I'm picking this up in a few weeks -

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=149231&cat=all

It's cheap and basic but you don't need to change tyres/wheels which is a huge plus for me. I'll let you know how I get on with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

rigal wrote: »
    Hey, sorry to hear that the injury hasn't cleared up Kennyb3.

Saw your post in Carb's log earlier regarding turbos. I'm picking this up in a few weeks -

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=149231&cat=all

It's cheap and basic but you don't need to change tyres/wheels which is a huge plus for me. I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Was looking at some of them on wiggle the other day actually. Seem like a good option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Hey Kennyb, I see you got your turbo!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62532977&postcount=499

Defo tri for you next year

Good luck with the turbo, let us know how you get on

By the way, you know they're only gonna up the limit on your card

thankfully i ve a made up swim stoke and am pure sh'te, so thats my excuse for taking it easy and not training like you lunatic triathletes (seen as your joining that gang)

What you talking about gangs?
    One big happy family no?
    Anyway, two duathlons and a disasterous off road tri do not a triathlete make me thinks - must work harder

• Advertisement

Still your training is going well and you ve a log now to stop you slacking off. i on the other hand am injured, so hopefully this turbo will help keep teh fitness up

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Wilbury

Really tough luck with the timing of your injury Kennyb3, though I see you are not the type for lazing around, good luck with your recovery!!! (good log, by the way.)

Little update - got the turbo friday nite, did a quick 15mins - even more boring than i expected. took forever to put together - worst instructions ever!!

away all weekend -ate a mountain of food and drank quite a bit too.

tried a small run yesterday, got about 3.5k done before the foot hurt. still it was much better than the week before. only slightly sore after (as compared to hobbling around last week). another weeks rest so. not sure if its the peroneal tendon or what. its just sore on the right hand side halfway up the underneath of my foor. not sore when i walk only when i land on it running.

today, 45 mins on the turbo watching the champions league build up. buckets of sweat!! think i ll only be able to take 2-3 turbo sessions a week or i ll go insane. cannot wait to get running injury free again!! put on a good 4lbs i reckon - im useless when im not running its always all or nothing

well 50 mins turbo session on friday night, nothing sat or sunday (had to work).

happy to report i did my 1st pain free 5k yesterday. slow and steady. hopefully on the way back now, taking a precautionary rest today. softly softly

27th

Rest

28th

5k at a steady pace, took approx 23 mins with a fast last 750m. this was the acid test for the foot and it feels good! so far so good. precautionary rest day 2moro again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Nice one Kennyb3..

Just another 5k over the weekend, have a cold now so may be a day or two off but after that i ll be upping the consistency - i.e back to running 5/6 days instead of every second day and then after that i ll up some of the length of the runs.

not worried about racing or anything like that, just want to build myself up to decent level of miles for the spring. going to get up to 45/50 by xmas and join a club after. injury avoidance is a huge goal. i ve had 2 injuries this year which have severly hampered my progress. i need to get a long consistent running spell under my belt. i know i can make huge progress if i do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Just another 5k over the weekend, have a cold now so may be a day or two off but after that i ll be upping the consistency - i.e back to running 5/6 days instead of every second day and then after that i ll up some of the length of the runs.

not worried about racing or anything like that, just want to build myself up to decent level of miles for the spring. going to get up to 45/50 by xmas and join a club after. injury avoidance is a huge goal. i ve had 2 injuries this year which have severly hampered my progress. i need to get a long consistent running spell under my belt. i know i can make huge progress if i do

We're on the same plan so, base building, best of luck and are you not already in a club :D there's a Saturday session going on in the Phoenix park on Saturday mornings http://boardsac.blogspot.com/

Woddle wrote: »
    We're on the same plan so, base building, best of luck and are you not already in a club :D there's a Saturday session going on in the Phoenix park on Saturday mornings http://boardsac.blogspot.com/
    i figured i may get in trouble with you for that alright. i ll see what way im thinking post xmas anyway.

Think my building is bit different in that i need to do it for my glass legs. but in fairness i ve only myself to blame as i tend to push myself too far at times. going to try take a more holeistict long term approach now rather than wanting such and such a time by x date.

A week of inactivity due to a combination of a bad cold, work and a general hectic personal life was broken with a 5k yesterday. thisa will hopefully be followed by a few more in the next few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I also think i feel a cold coming on and i never really get sick bit of a cough too. Dang.

Nice log btw.

Another 5k last night. work is hectic so just happy to run when i get the chance. will quiten down once tax and company filing season is over at the end of the month and i ll start doing long runs then

well i was a sissy last nite and didnt go out in the downpours.

my god how theraputic is an angry run after a rough day in the office. after 12 hour very stressful day, thanks to it being income tax filing deadline on monday, i headed straight out the door the min i got home.

the plan was to hurt and forget it and not just jog along and think about it all.

well i certainly hurt anway, got to half way in 10:40 and had a serious stitch not long after it - knew id gone too fast. but i stuck at it. felt sore but good.

i know i ve lost bit of fitness after the foot problem, but this was a good time, my previous training 5k best time was 20:54, so not miles behind but that was a different course. im positive after that even though i know id be miles ahead of this if i hadnt got injured.

delighted that the foot held up fine to my first faster run back.

45 mins steady this morning in the phoenix park. about 5.5miles covered at a guess - have no idea really, garmin battery is acting up.

was tempted to do more but dont wanna over do it having had an over use injury. slowly does it.

get up to 10 miles by next sat or sunday hopefully

4k easy this afternoon, was planning 10 but never happened. use it as a rest/recovery day and do a longer run 2moro if not back too late from work.

28km this week, not a huge amount but only starting to get back into it

20 mins jog this morning, about 4k, as wanted to get something done in case i dont get out tonight although hopefully i will. couldnt sleep so figured id use the time. very wet and wild tho - probably my least enjoyable run of all time. im definitely an evening runner

little time trial this evening. think this is the first time i ve broke 35mins for this distance in training not that i ve tried that much. happy, but i faded badly towards the end - im definitely well short of miles after the injury but i know that already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Good stuff Kennyb and in that wind too.

Hi Kennyb
    Good to see you back doing good consistant running again - must be a relief to you alright
    How are you getting on with the turbo? I've been doing a good bit (by my standards at any rate) of running lately, but haven't been out on the bike in a long long time, just easier to run when it's wet and dark than cycle
    Good 5k time there as well btw

• Advertisement

DustyBin wrote: »
    Hi Kennyb
    Good to see you back doing good consistant running again - must be a relief to you alright
    How are you getting on with the turbo? I've been doing a good bit (by my standards at any rate) of running lately, but haven't been out on the bike in a long long time, just easier to run when it's wet and dark than cycle
    Good 5k time there as well btw
    Thanks DustyBin. havent had cause to use the turbo too much recently - i have to say i find it quite boring - but its a great back up to have, and im sure i ll use it when i pick up a slight niggle or when i fancy a change, right now though its great to be out running even in the wind and rain. I havent had the bike outdoors in months (i ve no lights and my back tyre is bald from the turbo) but once the spring comes around i ll try to cycle to work and keep up the running and maybe go back to doing a sat morning spin with the cycling club.

your making good progress, be consistent but dont overdo it or you ll end up injured (as I have twice). take a long term view and enjoy it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement