Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A passion for running and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

nice staedy run. i really need to find a more sheltered run. ran down the coast to portmarnock, unbelievably windy going down - at times felt like i was going backwards. run felt harder than it should have as a result. suppose to be an easy run but really wasnt going down, no problem coming back.

okay so i let life get in the way a lot this last week, trip to brighton to see my mate and a weekend of drinking, all not good for my progress.

anyway headed out with the OH last night, 4 km with her and then 7km by myself. about 50mins or slightly more all told. didnt wear a watch, kind of getting use to running by how i feel and i know my routes and distances at this stage.

good run, key now is to follow it up after work

5miles @ 8min a mile.

Every km at as close to 4.45 as possible. (8.07m @ 7.35 per mile in old money). cool foggy morning for it. only one other runner in malahide park - thankfully she was a babe and i was happy to pass her a few times!

great night for it - prefer the cold to wind anyday. longer run really helped on sat, aerobic capacity felt so much better. found this easy enough, breathing better and no stitches - which i ve had a lot of since i ve got back training. well happy after. going to do a longer run every sat morning and if i miss it then i ve sunday as a back up.

not sure how im fixed for sat (jingle bells) tho have done very little speed work, really cant see myself getting close to 20 mins let alone under my 19.40 pb. still i want to know where im at

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

kennyb3 wrote: »
    great night for it - prefer the cold to wind anyday. longer run really helped on sat, aerobic capacity felt so much better. found this easy enough, breathing better and no stitches - which i ve had a lot of since i ve got back training. well happy after. going to do a longer run every sat morning and if i miss it then i ve sunday as a back up.

not sure how im fixed for sat (jingle bells) tho have done very little speed work, really cant see myself getting close to 20 mins let alone under my 19.40 pb. still i want to know where im at

I wouldnt worry to much about the time this weekend if it still early days just go out and run it. At the end of the day the race can actually benefit you more than a training day would have so it still going to stand to you. Best of luck

thanks ecoli, my thoughts exactly re the race being more beneficial. i ll race hard but im not going to beat myself up either.

rest yesterday

11.5k (7miles) tonight in 59 mins.

first 4.25k with OH in 25.45, and then 7k in 33 mins odd (7.38per mile).

lovely nite for it

4k (2.5miles) tonight. little warm up, then 2k as fast as possible to get some speed in the legs/see where i am. only managed 8:00 and i felt like dying after it, couldnt of even kept it up for another 500m let alone 3k, wont be breaking 20 mins at the weekend. will set a target of 21.30. still not to worry im not long back, have barely broke 25 miles any week as just been building up slowly and have done zero speed work.

just doing the race mainly to support the OH, its her first race. she has gone from smoking and only managing 2k to running 3 to 4 times a week. her 5k training time has gone from 33mins to 27mins in 2 months so i confidently predict a sub 26.

also i guess i wanna see where i am with my training. also thinking after tonight im going to stick to a plan, something like this:

Mon 6-8 miles steady
    Tuesday 3-5 miles steady
    Wednesday - speed session (about 5-6 miles - see query below)
    Thursday - 3 mile recovery
    Friday - 3 miles/rest
    Saturday - 10 miles (building up to 15)
    Sunday - Rest

query re the speed session. i ve a 2 k downish hill run into portmarnock (that i did tonight)

im thinking either 2k fast, 10 min jog back (2k), 2k fast, 10 min jog back (2k), 1k warm up.

or should i do 1k reps, 1 fast one slow?? what would be better?

also does anyone know if the alsaa track is open to the public? even for a fee?

anyway this is the new plan. might be switching jobs after xmas so things may change, but hoping to stick to this then up things again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Sounds like a plan for saturday. In terms of speed session, If you are thinking tempo, you could maybe do 1mile warm up, 2 x 2 mile at half marathon pace with 2 min jog recovery between and 1 mile warm down. That would be just over six miles. Or alternatively 3 or 4 x 1 mile repeats at 10k pace with 90 sec recovery with same warm up and down as above. I'd also try and spread your speed work over the up and down of the hill. You'll work harder but it will be worth it. :-)

• Advertisement

asimonov wrote: »
    Sounds like a plan for saturday. In terms of speed session, If you are thinking tempo, you could maybe do 1mile warm up, 2 x 2 mile at half marathon pace with 2 min jog recovery between and 1 mile warm down. That would be just over six miles. Or alternatively 3 or 4 x 1 mile repeats at 10k pace with 90 sec recovery with same warm up and down as above. I'd also try and spread your speed work over the up and down of the hill. You'll work harder but it will be worth it. :-)
    thanks asimonov, i think i ll do the second one as 10k pace sounds more like what im interested in. would you do the recovery jog in between as slow as possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

thanks asimonov, i think i ll do the second one as 10k pace sounds more like what im interested in. would you do the recovery jog in between as slow as possible?

an easy jog, no need to pace that bit. just catch your breath and get ready to go again. if you get to read this before the race tomorrow remember there is no easy way to tell your OH to HTFU. :)

i reckon if i tell her it and run off it will help her as she tries to chase me and ring my neck. thanks by the way

This may not be my best time over the distance (19:40 is) but this was way more satisfying for few reasons 1) was great to see my OH race and run a very good time of 25:23, as predicted well under 26mins 2) my fitness is nowhere what it was and more importantly my speed wouldnt be there or so i thought at least. i think i made up for my lack of physical condition with an unbelievable mental performance which is what was really satisfying.

I went out really fast and just kept going for as long as i could. there were times when i really hurt, really wanted to slow down but i kept myself up to it.

Issues with the start aside with the start, which i wouldnt moan about, a great race anyway i just want to say thanks to donore, i thought it was a great race - very well organised and marshalled. the atmosphere was friendly and the spread after a huge incentive to run fast and get back for that brack which i spotted beforehand. some feast provided. My OH felt the same and we ll both be back next year.

I think its just up to you to time yourself anyway and start your watch as you cross the line.

nice to meet Robinph, fair play to you for getting out with the camera, and gohardgohome (again) fair play on that sub 20 (by a long way) and the name is appropriate after wearing that vest. both very friendly guys, and nice to have a chat to kill some time beforehand.

As said above i ran 19:51 (i think had no actual watch - lent it to other half but girl ahead said 19:50, one behind 19:52 so 19:51 should be right and it was about that on the clock at the finish). with no watch i ve no splits but as per a friendly guy beside me i got to 3k at around 11.55.

delighted to break 20 again. Strangely this is only my 3rd race, 2 5k's and the dublin half - mainly due to two serious enough injuries. had no right to run that time given i ve only been back from injury few weeks, been only doing 20 miles a week and been away a few weekends boozing.

nearly died the other day trying to do 2k in 8 mins like. over the moon like, ran my heart out, way harder than my 19:40 pb last may. really really suffered in last 1k, my speed endurance and general endurance just aint there. that hill nearly killed me i went flying up past people, died and they all passed me out again on the sprint to the line. i had no sprint, in fact i felt like falling to the ground and rolling myself down the hill. 5k's hurt way more than long runs or half marathons. afraid to try a anything shorter but may drag myself down for a few raheny races.

19 mins is up next when i really get fit, thats the plan anyway. march 2010 - after i lose the xmas weight and more. lost a half a stone since i ve taken up this running lark last jan, plan is to lose more tho (about 8 pounds and i feel i ll be in proper shape)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Fair play to you Kennyb. You put in a tough shift there. Good work and well done to the missus. Mine bailed out tut tut.

nice follow up to yesterday. pace was grand, just admired the scenery - lovely day for a run and the run from malahide to portmarnock is full of class scenery. stepped it up a bit on way back home, partly as the wind was behind me coming back. legs okay, calfs a tiny bit stiff. take 2moro or tuesday off.

might race the aware next weekend, altho 30e feels like robbery and registering online and having to collect stuff in town is retarded!

22 miles this week, which aint bad given i unusually took off 3 days - 1 was due to race on sat.have consciously tried to push my shorter runs from 5k up to 7 or 8. didnt get a long run in due to race and may not next week, but love racing. looking forawrd to getting back up over 30 miles soon.

came into work this morning checked the donore website and seems i ran 21:39??? very confused. two girls beside me that i know i started near and finishe with made 19:50's on their watches. add to this the fact my oh's time aint even listed even tho it should be as it's in the 500's. :confused: dont know what to think but i really would be surprised if i was that slow given the effort involved, i could do a 22min in training like. but at same time i didnt take 1:50 to cross the line.

also having further thought about it further, 2 people said to me we were 11:55 for 3k, refuse to believe i lost 1:40 over 2k, at that rate i would be runnming just below my long run pace. added to that there was alot of downhill parts in last 2k.

anyway who cares, its run and done but it is going to bug me. lesson learned = wear a watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

came into work this morning checked the donore website and seems i ran 21:39??? very confused. two girls beside me that i know i started near and finishe with made 19:50's on their watches. add to this the fact my oh's time aint even listed even tho it should be as it's in the 500's. :confused: dont know what to think but i really would be surprised if i was that slow given the effort involved, i could do a 22min in training like. but at same time i didnt take 1:50 to cross the line.

also having further thought about it further, 2 people said to me we were 11:55 for 3k, refuse to believe i lost 1:40 over 2k, at that rate i would be runnming just below my long run pace. added to that there was alot of downhill parts in last 2k.

anyway who cares, its run and done but it is going to bug me. lesson learned = wear a watch

Lesson learned = never trust girls!!

Yeah, checking out the official results there and they've added over 2:15 to the clock time for me :rolleyes:
    Ah well, it was a bit of craic anyway, and was a very reasonable entry fee

You're right back into the thick of the running again - any upcoming events planned?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Even worse gap here - I'm down as 27:15 on the official results - but 24:04 by my watch! That's a bit messed up. Ah well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Don't worry kenny, i am sure your time was correct. It seems all the results are a shambles. i am not down as having finished. I just checked the guy's number who was just behind me on racepix at 4km, according to the results he finished in 21.10. That's ahead of you!! I am certain he didn't run past me and i certainly didn't slow down, so unless the time is wrong then you cannot have seen me finishing as you were still on the running!!

To be honest this is all very unprofessional and not what you would expect from a race like this.

• Advertisement

so relieved to find im not the only one (**** and all as that is), as i was absolutely disgusted when i seen that time this morning, but now it seems its just a mess up.

i was so bother by it i was planning a 5k time trial later just to prove a thing or two to myself. Actually looking back on my log i did 21.30 in training on 12/11, and id defo race a min and half quicker at least

DustyBin wrote: »
    Lesson learned = never trust girls!!

Yeah, checking out the official results there and they've added over 2:15 to the clock time for me :rolleyes:
    Ah well, it was a bit of craic anyway, and was a very reasonable entry fee

You're right back into the thick of the running again - any upcoming events planned?
    still trying to decide about the aware on sat. On the negative side its quite early and i havent registered yet too, plus on collection duty for the OH's xmas party fri nite so will be up late, €30 cost and would miss a LSR (and i could do with the mileage at this stage).

On the positives I love racing, havent done a 10k and would be interested in setting a marker for myself at that distance.

In all likelihood i ll miss it but we ll see. what about yourself, whats the plans? did mrs dustybin enjoy the race? will she do more?

Think my OH wants to do the Raheny 5miler next, which i ll be doing myself

day off yesterday freshened the legs up.

5 miles last night in 37:11 (i.e @ 7.26per mile). this was easiest 5miler i ve ever done at this sort of pace. this was meant to be an easy run and felt that way, so delighted. 19 mins going down, 18 coming back. delighted i did it as had a full stomach after dinner at the OH's parents. made myself go out when i got back when i so easily could of made excuses.

tempted to go to alsaa later and try jump onto the track and do my first ever track session. Anyone know how to work out what time i should do 400's in and how many to start with, maybe 6?

if i dont go, i ll prob to 6 or 7 miles steady

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

what about yourself, whats the plans? did mrs dustybin enjoy the race? will she do more?

Think my OH wants to do the Raheny 5miler next, which i ll be doing myself

Races on the horizon at the moment are Waterford Half Marathon this weekend, a 10k race local on Stephens Day (hopefully it will go ahead, is a very low key bit of craic organised by a bunch of lads in a pub), then the IMRA winter league in January - reckon I'll give that a shot, and also the MY Sport 10k in Enniscorthy Valentines Day.
    Mrs DB loved the race and is planning to do more all right

Hope you and your OH enjoy the Raheny 5 miler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Anyone know how to work out what time i should do 400's in and how many to start with, maybe 6?

http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/paces.php
    might help, I find it quite useful and a few ideas for sessions also.

thanks a million woddle, what a great site. invaluable as it gives you exact times/paces and rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

keep it goin kb. running on the back burner for me for a while. but i'll be checkin in here to see when you break the mighty sub 40 for a 10k. now thats a real target.

keep it goin kb. running on the back burner for me for a while. but i'll be checkin in here to see when you break the mighty sub 40 for a 10k. now thats a real target.
    family/life commitments or injury?40 mins is for next year. if i do aware 10k on sat id be hoping for 42mins. I think my fastest 10k in training is only 44 or 45mins but i race significantly faster. still some way off breaking 40mins. im happy with how im doing of circa 20-25 miles a week but i really want to get to 30-35miles but have to do it gently given my injury proneness. taking a longer term approach these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

family / work commits.

• Advertisement

well the fitness and passion is defo coming back. 9.5k in 44:20 might not seem like a great run, but i had one of them amazing nites you get every once in a while when you know its going right

basically having let life get in the way and missed my speed session (bad traffic on M1, house chores etc) i set out to do a 10 mile progression run tonight (part making up mileage lost and bit of speed). had to cut it short tho couldnt wait for the loo any longer, or i would of soiled myself! honestly!

so i set off nice and slow and plan was first 5k in 24:00, 2nd 5k in 23:30 and next in 22:30 with 1k warm down.

for 24, knew id need 4:48 per km, did 23:45 (4:45pkm) felt pedestrian and like i was out for a stroll - a great feeling, esp given about 3 weeks ago on a 13km run this pace felt tough.

after that i went through 7k in about 33:30 odd and 8k in 37:30/40 odd. felt great and as if i hadnt really started exerting effort yet. breathing, great legs great. had run both these distances recently in only 20 or 30 odd seconds quicker and felt alot lot harder. and tired after.

around 8k i knew i needed the toilet at all costs. 1.5k from home. pissed off i couldnt continue but hoping to make it home!!anyway picked it up a bit and got home. even running that bit faster, particularly in last 400m i felt so comfortable. was really stretching it out towards the end and breathing was grand.

know i would of made better than the targets for the entire run. just one of them nites. easy enough targets i guess but its the way you feel making them.4.30kms been lovely and really comfortable is good sign im not far off before.

wish every night was like tonight. a run to remember. dont even feel like i ve had a run actually. fresh as a daisy! cant wait for the next one!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement