Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A passion for running and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Nice one - after a fast race I think it gets easier to run quicker in training. Keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

rigal wrote: »
    Nice one - after a fast race I think it gets easier to run quicker in training. Keep it up!
    agree and was exactly my thinking which is why im thinking regular racing for me! going to keep my long runs between 10 and 13 miles are worry about marathons later. going to race up through the distances first

skipped the aware given the farce. would of done it had it been 8k but 9k??why??

anyway did 12k @ 4:40 per km (7.47m @ 7:30). grand run, nothing spectacular but a good staedy run. wanted to do 16k, but had toilet issues again. stomach aint right last couple of days.

will make it up and go bit further tomorrow. need to get my long runs up. would of today just unfortunate. i should possibly slow them a little too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭bourne99

meant to say well done on the jingle bells run last week - your post was exactly the kind of one I wanted to be able to write! Nothing like a good old mental struggle to overcome any physical obstacles! Good time too!

6k recovery run today. left calf was quite tight and bit sore beforehand hope this will be more beneficial than taking the day off. done in 31:20, so lovely and gentle. plenty of stretching since

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

kennyb3 wrote: »
    6k recovery run today. left calf was quite tight and bit sore beforehand hope this will be more beneficial than taking the day off. done in 31:20, so lovely and gentle. plenty of stretching since

Take care of the calf, sometimes a rest day helps to recover, i ran for about 3 weeks witha calf that wasnt 100% and ended up missing 3 full weeks after so take care.

Date: 15th Tuesday
    Session: V02 Max
    Distance Ran: 8k/5miles
    Total Time: 36:55

Beenreading 'Road Racing for Serious Road Runners' so between that, and having done about 6 weeks base training i ve decided to change my training now to include the 3 main sessions each week: VO2, LT tempo and long run.

been dying to try this session but wasnt ready until now. took yesterday off to freshen up the legs. overall happy with how it went. almost 10mins running in and around my VO2 max (based on my race times).

2k warm up

1k in 3:49

.5k recovery in 2:30 (book recommends 50 to 90% of time at VO2 max so making it half a km and somewhere in the middle seems okay)

1k in 3:50

.5k recovery around the same

.5k in 1:55

2.5k warm down

happy enough for my first time trying this. had 2 small problems - had dinner in the parents beforehand (never good) and very windy when i turned around half way through second km.

will do this once a week. get up to 5 rep's from 2.5 eventually and shorten recovery.

legs feel grand after which is good. Think these sessions will really be of huge benefit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I have that book also, some great stuff in it.
    I used to do a similar session back in my buildup for Paris
    I ended up doing 5x1k with 2 min jog in between, very tough going but you finish the session very satisfied. You seem to be going well, will you race the 5k in the Phoenix park on NYD?

Woddle wrote: »
    I have that book also, some great stuff in it.
    I used to do a similar session back in my buildup for Paris
    I ended up doing 5x1k with 2 min jog in between, very tough going but you finish the session very satisfied. You seem to be going well, will you race the 5k in the Phoenix park on NYD?
    would be my aim to get up to that level of intervals. yeah brilliant book, im not training for a marathon so focusing on the 5k and 10k side of things in it. found before i read it was i was trundling out miles for the sake of it(kind of still in marathon mode). As i ve done a bit of base work im happy to step it up now. and also as im doing limited enough mileage i want to make the miles i do count.

id be lying if i said id be there. i would love to but i know i ll have a sore head so wont lie to myself!!

Raheny 5 miler would be the next big target, might do a few of their 2 milers beforehand.

Date: Wednesday 16th
    Session: Long Run
    Distance Ran: 16k/10miles
    Total Time: 1hr 17mins

My longest run in a while as not marathon training. got it up from 8 miles to 10 miles. did it tonight as wasnt sure if id get it in the weekend with xmas drinks and shopping.

felt grand all the way, only slight pain was the wind too easy going down bit more difficult coming back - so mixed it up and did 2 up and backs down around the cost and up into the village. 4.48per km average felt comfortable. started off around 5:00 and just wound it up.

no niggles or the like thank god, long may it continue

• Advertisement

Page 3 of the logs for me, tut tut who has been lazy! between xamas shopping and staff party didnt run until 8 last night. horrendous amount of bad food over the weekend

Date: Sunday 20th
    Session: Fit it in/Fast Run
    Distance Ran: 8k/5miles
    Total Time: 35:00 (7.00 p/mile)

It was fecking freezing so there was no hanging around. delighted with this run it was glorious, and i always felt in control. great night for running apart from a tiny bit slippery. love that cold crisp air in the lungs though. cant believe i managed that pace after the eating and drinking while still feeling comfortable enough - think the VO2 session plus 5k really helps with the pace.

only disgusting part was i havent broke 35mins in training for the distance and i got it wrong by a second here. i could of pushed on well before the last 250m that i did - idiot. will be no problem next time though as my first km was 4:38 which was well slow and id good bit left.

hopefully 4 more good days in a row now before the madness begins

Date: Monday 21st
    Session: Steady Run
    Distance Ran: 5k/3.1miles
    Total Time: 22:14 (7.09 p/mile)

just a standard 5k run. very cold and icy, was slipping loads so cut it short.bit too fast should have been slower. wanted to do 6 miles. hopefully weather picks up a bit

Date: Tuesday 22nd
    Session:Aerobic Run
    Distance Ran: 10k/6.2miles
    Total Time: 46:30 (7.29 p/mile)

got home late so was glad to get this done, so easy to just stay in in the warmth. think nights like this will stand to me. bloody cold in shorts tho. slippy in places but was just ultra cautious. looks slippery than it actually is in general but a few really bad patches around too. really looking forward to it defrosting after xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

think nights like this will stand to me. bloody cold in shorts tho.

Yeah, but running in shorts in nights like these make us look like tough guys.... or strange guys...or a bit of both.

Lots of pleasure to be got running in my shorts past someone who is out jogging wearing a heavy tracksuit, scarf, hat etc!

Peckham wrote: »
    Yeah, but running in shorts in nights like these make us look like tough guys.... or strange guys...or a bit of both.

Lots of pleasure to be got running in my shorts past someone who is out jogging wearing a heavy tracksuit, scarf, hat etc!
    ha ha i love the look you get - like a few i got from people outside a pub in portmarnock last night - when people think your nuts.

shorts all the way for me. once you get that first k or so in you heat up.

with hats and particularly gloves i overheat once i get past about 5k, so dont bother with them

Date: Wednesday 23rd
    Session: Recovery Run
    Distance Ran: 7k/4.35miles
    Total Time: 35:40 (8.11 p/mile)

well finished work wahoo!!4th day in row and hopefully tomorrow will be 5. im usually terrible for not stringing more than 3 days together. was grand night for it. god knows what it will be like once that rain freezes over - skating rink. tonight was nice and gentle. plan 10 miles tomorrow morning

Date: Thursday 24th
    Session: Long Run
    Distance Ran: 16k/10miles
    Total Time: 1:16:30 (7.41 p/mile)

5th day in row - lovely, well happy with that! started off nice and gentle around 4:55per km and worked my way down to a slightly faster pace. well comfortable all the way and didnt feel like i was stressing the body.

few other lunatics running around malahide park - had to run on the frozen grass as the paths were like an ice rink. after couple of laps it was down into portmarnock. got very cold coming back and i really got a chill off the sea breeze. delighted to get home to warm house.

hopefully make it out today for a losener and then take tomorrow off (maybe)

happy christams to you all and thanks to everyone for their help/contributions during the year

Date: Thursday 31st
    Total Time: 22:30 (7.14 p/mile)

Been off for a week, missed my xmas day run and a combination of drinking/going out, a trip to leopardstown and bad cold means i havent done anything. feel bit guilty but not overly - wouldnt of been able to train with the cold the last few days.

In fact think i went for run a day or two early as feel worse having run this morning. prob take a few more days off now, then start training proper for raheny 5.

run felt comfortable enough from a breathing point of view but legs were weak towards end from cold. extremely breezy, very easy going down, very difficult coming back

Well a little late but here it is:

The good

- Running up 5/6 days a week & improving my fitness no end, culminating in about 650 miles this year
    - Losing a few lb's and changing body shape
    - 19:40 for 5k in my first ever race
    - Running 1:34 for a half marathon, never guessed that would happen based on the limited enough training i did
    - Enjoying all 3 races I ran and feeling id ran well and given my all in them
    - The last few weeks pre Christmas I felt stronger and better than before, training was good and feel I was in better shape than ever before.

The Bad

- In a word 'injuries' - missed 3+ months all told between peroneal and achilles tendon injuries.
    - Not getting to do the marathon because of the above
    - Not getting weekly mileage as high as i should, again partly due to injury

And for 2010 here's the hopes:

- Not get injured
    - Break 1,250 miles and for most weeks to be at 35+ miles
    - Get to 11stone (6lbs to go)
    - Break 19mins for 5k
    - Run more races and maybe a marthon next autumn, shorter distances for now.

2010 has so far started out with a bad flu and spent the first 4 days of it in bed with a temperature but not the worst time to happen given the conditions.

Plan to start back on friday with an easy run and hopefully get back into it properly after couple of easy runs. Was hoping to go for sub 33 in raheny 5 (ambitious) but sub 34 would be good now as 2 poor weeks around christmas have really set me back.

Really looking forward to this year, I have a base and have learned from silly little mistakes that got me injured so now its time to push on!

Date: Sat 9th
    Session: Easy Run
    Distance Ran: 4k/2.5miles
    Total Time: 20:20 (8.10 p/mile)

Finally broke my 2010 duck. only 4km and i was wiped after it (needed a lie down) so obviously not fully over the virus.

Hi portmarnock beach - mad to see snow on the beach and some of the water from a stream frozen. very cold for first k or so and then i warmed up. only did 4k as didnt want to risk a relapse of virus by running myself down first day back.

tomorrows run up in the air, a day off might be best.

YTD: 2.5miles

• Advertisement

...... in that weather anyway

Date: Sun 10th
    Distance Ran: 5.5k/3.4miles
    Total Time: 26:40 (7.48 p/mile)

Well this was a horrible run - cold, extremely windy and too hard. wind was ridiculous. days like this i dont want to do it, but made myself go - its not often i have to make myself. just have to try get out and keep ticking over till the weather picks up.

YTD: 5.9miles

Date: Mon 11th
    Total Time: 47:25 (7.37 p/mile)

The ice has finally gone around malahide, very little slush even and no wind - thank you god!!. wonderful nite for it. got a bit tired from about 8k and even got a stitch, so have some catching up to do but really enjoyed this. cant wait to run tomorrow already.

YTD: 12.1miles

Date: Tuesday 12th
    Distance Ran: 7k/4.35miles
    Total Time: 35:00 (8.00 p/mile)

Only myself and one other nutter out in the monsoon conditions. got absolutely drownded, soaked through 3 layers - my all weather top aint so all weather really. and holy crap it was cold.

hardest part was getting out the door but even when i did i was froze solid from the lashing rain and unbelievable gale. i had to run bit faster than easy pace for the first km so as to not freeze. after that it was grand enough until the last 2k for home. at that point all the buildings and hedges disappear and its just you versus the irish sea wind and rain. seriously for about the first minute of it i was convinced i was getting nowhere - it was horrible. the rain was so hard it actually hurt and my thighs were frozen solid.

all in all no fun what so ever. will defo be remembering runs like that when im racing. kept thinking when i was out in it 'god i better race well this summer or i ll be pissed after doing this'.

anyway glad i did it, nice shower and feel good. legs have evn losened out they were quite stiff after last nights run

YTD: 16.45miles / 4 runs

Date: Wednesday 13th
    Session: Recovery Run
    Total Time: 30:48 (9.54 p/mile)

nice relaxing run with the OH, just a nice clear out of the legs which are bit stiff after previous 4 days in row after nothing for 2 weeks over xmas. harder and longer run tomorrow.

YTD: 19.55miles / 5 runs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

getting into a nice routine again kennyb3, there's a long year there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭traininglog

ha ha i love the look you get - like a few i got from people outside a pub in portmarnock last night - when people think your nuts.

shorts all the way for me. once you get that first k or so in you heat up.

with hats and particularly gloves i overheat once i get past about 5k, so dont bother with them

The bloody looks i get when wearing tights:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭traininglog

any races planned,think its good to get an early one in the new year.
    you seem to have come on leaps and bound last year.
    second year can be tough,keep your goals realistic and hope you dont get anymore injuries.the achilles is a tough one to get right after injury.

any races planned,think its good to get an early one in the new year.
    you seem to have come on leaps and bound last year.
    second year can be tough,keep your goals realistic and hope you dont get anymore injuries.the achilles is a tough one to get right after injury.
    hi traininglog,

initial plan is raheny 5, then mysport 10k and maybe some raheny races along the way. only did 3 races last year due to various injuries (so avoiding them is key) so i feel i ve a lot more to come. mileage never really got over 25 a week, it will be 35 most weeks from now on. feel my legs have now gotten use to the miles. also wearing the right runners seems to have sorted the achilles. trying to train for a marathon first year up was stupid though.

your absolutely knocking out the mileage yourself. do you run with a club?

Date: Thursday 14th
    Session: Hard Run
    Total Time: 44:42 (7.11 p/mile) - New Training PB

6th day in a row and a nice way to break the skins compression tights in with a 10k training pb - by 12 seconds.

pretty happy with this given its only my first week back after 2 weeks off and i felt wrecked after 10k at much slower pace on monday. ran pretty hard but still think i could take more time off this in training let alone the minute or minute and half id take off in a race.

skins felt good - definite placebo affect when i put them on. muscles felt better during and after the run. see how i am in the morning now. prob take tomorrow off then 10 miles sat.

YTD: 25.75miles / 6 runs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

sub 40 coming soon to a training log near you. Nice going Kennyb. May the consistancy last.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement