Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A passion for running and cycling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

^+1

Great to see you coming through that autumn period of injury and out the other side. I think a healthy dose of positivity and determination got you through it.

You're now running consistently well in training. If you can continue to train sensibly (and wear your skins ;)) you'll have a great year's running I suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

thanks misty and rigal, appreciate the encouragement. no injuries and consistency are my key words at present. if i can achieve both i know the times will come down steadily. the extra few lbs are coming off too which helps, few more to go tho.

Date: Friday 15th
    REST

Date: Saturday 16th
    Session: Long Slow Run
    Distance Ran: 16k/10miles
    Total Time: 1.28.14 (8.52 p/mile)

Did the first 7.6k in 48 mins with the OH, then the last 8.4k in just over 40. Legs felt grand at the end, wore one t shirt too mant and sweated buckets.

delighted with how the running is going. legs stood up to a tough enough week back, will round it off tomorrow with an easy run. hope to repeat it over the next 2 weeks then run the raheny 5 and build it up little more.

YTD: 35.75miles / 7 runs

Date: Sunday 17th
    Session: Recovery Run
    Distance Ran: 6.5k/4miles
    Total Time: 32:22 (8.00 p/mile)

Nice recovery run, should have been a bit slower but i was stuck for time. half way through got freaked old foot injury was back but couldnt find anything wrong when i got back.

34 miles for the week, amazingly i think thats my second or third highest ever. hope to keep it up every week now.

YTD: 39.75miles / 8 runs

Date: Monday 18th
    Session: Tempo
    Distance Ran: 10/6.2miles
    Total Time: 47:40 (7.40 p/mile)

2k warm up

4k tempo with splits of

4:03, 4:08, 4:08, 4:08

4k easy after

delighted with this - told myself id do 5k, knowing full well that id do 4, next week i ll tell myself 6 and do 5!mind tricks eh.

cant believe how even the splits were - was aiming for 4:10. first half of the first one was well too fast and prob killed any thoughts of a 5th.

a really good workout and was actually on to break my training pb for 5k during the tempo which was a good sign, altho i ve run faster in races.

YTD: 45.95miles / 9 runs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Nice going kenny, your building steadily, it'll be good to maintain that pace while increasing it every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

good stuff, im not sure what to expect havent done 10k and i reckon it will be a tough distance to get strategy re pacing right. hopefully i could run 42:30 but we ll see how the raheny 5 goes first, any plans to do that?

Thought we better keep that 10k thread on topic.. ;)

I have planned to do the Raheny 5 for the past 3 years and always miss it due to something else being on. This year I'm heading to a stag in Liverpool.

I have done 3 10k races and none of them have gone well. It is a distance I struggle with but probably just because I don't pace it right. I ran the Blessington 10k in September and was hoping for sub 41 but went out too fast and never recovered. Ended up coming in around 42:30 I think.

Based on your training times you should be good for sub 42:30 I'd say.

A stag in liverpool will be way more fun! its a good spot havent been in years but use to go regularly for weekends away in college as all my mates were big pool fans.

yeah mcmillan has me on for about 41mins but i dont believe him! I dont have that kind of speed endurance, no way i could of ran a 21:30 5k after my sub 20 5k, so pacing will be key. I think i could possibly string 2* 21.15 5k's together (thinking is great doing is different tho) tho so i think i ll go for even pacing. im really just itching to try the distance its one i ve wanted to do for ages!

Really hope the ITB clears up for you, i know how frustrating injuries are - i ve glass legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

kennyb3, you asked a question about recovery and choice of intervals somewhere else on here. I think it depends what you are training for. If it's 10k I'd definitely be going with the 6-8 x 1k option over the 4 x 1k option. But I wouldn't just take longer recoveries for the 6-8, just maybe do them a bit slower. 10k pace might be about right with 90secs recovery.

kennyb3, you asked a question about recovery and choice of intervals somewhere else on here. I think it depends what you are training for. If it's 10k I'd definitely be going with the 6-8 x 1k option over the 4 x 1k option. But I wouldn't just take longer recoveries for the 6-8, just maybe do them a bit slower. 10k pace might be about right with 90secs recovery.
    yeah i was asking abhainn. trying to get my 5k - 10k times down. im relatively new to intervals so only feeling my way around what would be best. thanks a million for the help.

actually may as well ask you, im guessing above your saying 10k pace because thats what im training for but if it was 5k would i use that pace or is 6-8*1k too much for 5k and as abhainn suggested id should prob think about doing 8-12*400's for a 5k training program?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

kennyb3 wrote: »
    yeah i was asking abhainn. trying to get my 5k - 10k times down. im relatively new to intervals so only feeling my way around what would be best. thanks a million for the help.

actually may as well ask you, im guessing above your saying 10k pace because thats what im training for but if it was 5k would i use that pace or is 6-8*1k too much for 5k and as abhainn suggested id should prob think about doing 8-12*400's for a 5k training program?

6-8 1ks is fine for 5k as different sessions aim to tackle different aspects it would be a more strength based session where 4s would be a more speed endurance depending on paces and recovery.
    I bit of advice if you are finding sessions tough would be to break themup into sets so rather than all 8 straight through rather say 4 min ks wth 2-3 min recovery and after four take a five or six min recovery(example). This will enable you to get full distance while maintaining the quality of the session and from here you can develop to be able to keep up the entire session right through

great suggestion re the break ecoli, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

I think that doing any more than 5k at 5kpace would be too much. The same sessions for 10k as for 5k will be good, your 6-8 x 1k at 10secs slower than 5k pace or 10k pace in general but getting closer to the race, doiong some specific race pace work might be suitable. Say you want to run sub 18, maybe 5.40 pace. The aim is to be able to run continuously for 17.40 at that pace. So you need to get used to running at that pace, but not too often as it takes too much out of the system. So you might do 12 x 400 at that pace (85secs a lap, maybe 1min recovery), then progress to 6 x 800 at that pace, maybe slightly longer recovery, but not much, then 3 x 1mile at that pace. People often go from longer intervals to shorter intervals coming up to 5k's to sharpen up, but for most people speed endurance rather than speed is probably their limiting factor, so going the opposite way might be better.

great reply thanks RF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

sub 40 for the 10k is a biggiemilestone. dont rush it but looking forward to seeing u do it. any 10ks coming up? good luck.

sub 40 for the 10k is a biggiemilestone. dont rush it but looking forward to seeing u do it. any 10ks coming up? good luck.

Thanks for your continuing support MFA, plan on doing my sport 10k on 14th Feb, after raheny 5miler on 31 Jan. Dont think i ll be hitting around 40 or under until the end of the summer - I need more speed endurance. would be happy with 42:30 on 14th but i ll see how 5miler goes first

Date: Tuesday 19th
    REST

Date: Wednesday 20th
    Session: Medium Run
    Distance Ran: 13k/8miles
    Total Time: 1.10.48 (8.45 p/mile)

first 5.5k in 34:15 with OH (@10.01p/m)

next 7.5k in 36:33 (@7:50)

nice run after a kind of enforced rest yesterday - stomach wasnt well and was tired from lack of sleep. felt miles better today, run felt easy all the way.

rest tomorrow as meeting a friend for dinner and a drink so 5miles fri, 11m sat, 5m sunday.

YTD: 53.95miles / 10 runs

Date: Thursday 21st
    REST

Date: Friday 22nd
    Session: Easy Run
    Distance Ran: 9k/5.6miles
    Total Time: 52mins roughly

first 4.5k in 30mins with OH , second 4.5k at about 4.45p/km.

10/11 miles in the morning.

YTD: 59.85miles / 11 runs

Date: Saturday 23rd
    Session: Long Run
    Distance Ran: 18k/11.2miles
    Total Time: 1:37:44

first 8k in 51mins with OH (10.15 p/m)

Then 10k in 46:44 (7.31p/m)

Delighted with this run, gorgeous morning for it - lovely and sunny and really like taking the first bit slow with the OH then a fast finish. Great to have company and it makes the time fly in and helps get the miles up.

Mainly delighted because i found a lovely rythm for the last 10k, i wasnt pushing it at all and was planning on going a bit slower but it felt easy. felt like the day i ran the dublin half marathon, just didnt focus on the watch (which i do to much) and i ran controlled and lobbed along. think the consistent training, higher mileage and avoiding injuries and needless days off is helping.

would love to up this run to 12.5 miles next week but have raheny 5 so will prob do that the following week.

31 miles so far this week and recovery run still to come tomorrow to round it off

YTD: 71.05miles / 12 runs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

would love to up this run to 12.5 miles next week but have raheny 5 so will prob do that the following week.

Yeah races are great fun but they do get in the way don't they. Thats how I feel at the moment. I just want to keep things going as is. Nice goin Kenny. Will you take a day off on the Saturday? I'm thinking of doing a long LSR (no PMP) the day after.

Also, where were you running today? It was dead foggy here in north Kldare.

• Advertisement

yeah they do get in the way alright, esp when training for a marathon like yourself. thankfully none of that for me - they are what im training for altho im really not expecting to see the full results i want till mid summer.

i ll either take the day off or do a very very easy 3m. i ve intervals planned for monday and rest of the week will just be steady running so easy enough week.

i ll prob do a recovery the run the monday and maybe 10 on the tuesday after - legs dependant. bit more pressure on yourself tho to get the long runs in, thankfully your use to it and your legs can take it where as mine are only getting use to it now.

quality run this morning by the way dude!they were some savage miles at the end.

ran up to malahide park - i love it on a sat morning did few laps, dropped the OH off and then went down the coast to the bottom of portmarnock and back home. unbelievable scenery. howth looked class in the sun. very different to the snow filled top of it few weeks ago.

Date: Sunday 24th
    Session: Unplanned Rest Day

after talking about not missing days, i go get little drunk sat night while out for meal and drinks with OH and missed my run with a hangover. oh well:D

Weekly summary: 31 miles (34 previous week)

Date: Monday 25th
    Session: Fast Run
    Distance Ran: 10k/6.2miles
    Total Time: 43:24 (new training pb by 1min 18sec)

Wow is all i can say!! Cant actually get over tonight, absolutely oblierated by 10k training pb which id only set on the 14th- lot of improvement in 11 days. pretty stunned, totally unexpected.

After a really ****ty day in work i just decided to go out and run fast to clear the head. did the first 4k pretty fast, slowed down and just tried to settle stitch coming on, thought about jogging next 5-6 or so just to make it to 10, was surprised to see split next few k's were still ok enough given i felt i was taking it easy. then i worked out that if i kept it steady but not slow i could still run close to my old pb, so i thought id do that and train my body to run on tired legs after fast start.

got second wind and picked it back up. last 3k felt grand and prob show i took it a little too easy in the middle.

really think the faster start helps (but bloody make it hard)

splits are below

4.13, 4.12, 4.16, 4.18, 4.24
    4.34, 4,32, 4.25, 4.19, 4.10

anyway there are plenty of reasons i shouldnt have gone that fast including - ****ty diet and hangover over the weekend and windy enough

so where has the improvment come from

- extra miles for one, being able to pick it back up towards the end is great and totally down to mileage, normally id die a death. im only running 30-35 miles a week but this is 50% more than last year.
    - consistency, doing the same runs on same days week in week out for last 2 and half weeks. doing some intervals (really wanna do more of these) and tempos and consistent long runs and making easy days easy.

hope i havent left next sundays race on the roads tonight, but i ll mainly be taking it easy this week so i should be fine.

oh and maybe i should run angry more often

YTD: 77.25miles / 13 runs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

good stuff kennyb3,
    it's a really honest sport isn't it, in that it will reward consistency!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Date: Monday 25th
    Session: Fast Run
    Distance Ran: 10k/6.2miles
    Total Time: 43:24 (new training pb by 1min 18sec)

Ah sh*te!!!
    ;)

Fair play kennyb, good luck with the raheny 5 miler

Date: Tuesday 26th
    Session: Easy/Recovery Run
    Distance Ran: 7k/4.35miles
    Total Time: just under 36mins

not much to report, just a nice gentle losener @ 5.05per km. legs were stiff this morning but way better now

YTD: 81.6miles / 14 runs

Date: Wed 27th
    Session: Steady Run
    Distance Ran: 8k/5miles
    Total Time: 36:48 (7.24p/m)

things defo going the right way, few weeks ago this would of felt like a hard run, felt easy enough - just faster than a quick jog. legs rather than breathing more of an issue which is unusal. will freshen them up now before sunday.

YTD: 86.6miles / 15 runs

you doing the 5 miler on sun? do you know if there is a limit in entries and if its chip timed. not doing it btw.

you doing the 5 miler on sun? do you know if there is a limit in entries and if its chip timed. not doing it btw.
    yeah doing it, no limit on entries (but €10 extra charge on day) so if anyone you know is thinking of it tell them to register online before tomorrow night. its chipped which is good as i hear it can take a little time to get across the line. hoping for 33:30 now things are going well

how is your own running going?

unfortunately afer giving two great years consistent running - rarely went more than two days without a run - have had to take a break - bigger family etc -so havent done anything in 4 months now. hope to get back but prob only at a run per week max for the foreseeable future.
    yeah the 5 mile race is a nice distance - tough going but short enough that the end is always in sight. not telling u what to do but if youre anyhing like i was you wont be able to hold back the first mile which is so important. i made this mistake in the street of galway and suffered from mile 1 onwards - !! still did about 34:30 but if wasnt for a stupid 6:15 first mile approx i would have prob gone faster and more importantly enjoyed the race better. so....... pick a pace for the first mile and dont be tempted to unleash all the built energy ........my 2 cents worth not that i know much. good luck anyhow.

• Advertisement

Just do what you can and enjoy it! some running is better than no running and good to keep healthy and in shape.

Thanks for the tip, learnt that from my run on 24th where i got a stitch after starting too fast. i do like to go out fast and hang on but its getting the balance right. i find it hard to make up time later on, im more of a 'plugger on' so i still expect a sub 4 first km from myself. id be lying if i said otherwise. i ll calm down and sttle into arythm then and try hit as many 4:05's to 4:10's as possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement