Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A passion for running and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Date: Thurs 28th
    REST - shattered, needed a night out to chill eat and get an early one

Date: Fri 28th
    Session: Easy Run
    Distance Ran: 8k/5miles
    Total Time: 38:00 (7.38p/m)

Nice handy run in general, threw in few quick 100m spurts and two half km intervals just to get the legs ready for sunday. hoping for under 34 and as close to 33:30 as possible.

YTD: 91.6miles / 16 runs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

well,

whats the damage ?

:) absolutely delighted with todays result. Only balls up was prob on my own part - starting too far back, didnt wanna be too close to front and blocking others but i should have been further up. spent the first 400m dodging in and out of people trying not to clip heels or be clipped. went through the first half k far too slow (about 2:10 - not how i would like) and panicking, thankfully things thinned out and i upped the speed significantly fore few hundred meters trying to make up time. went through in 3:59, so was happier. relaxed into nice pace then and constantly seemed to be picking off people ahead.

every k was much the same and the pace was very consistent. nice fast course imo, lot of flat or slightly downhill. funniest part was some old fart going mad with his horn trying to get out of his estate and some lad in a bray ac top whacking his bonnet and giving him the fingers - i laughed and shouted legend at the bray guy - the aul lad should have known the race was on (and/or been more patient).

tried to save a little for the hill but it still hurt. my stomach really didnt feel great in last 2k and was holding on for the toilet - badly.

Think overall my pacing was good - i did get a bit tired towards the end, but not as much as expected given how i went through 5k in just over 20mins. really think upping the mileage and consistent training has helped no end - so much so i didnt feel too tired or sore after. Managed a sprint at the end which is very unusual for me, passed about 6/7 people with it including just edging out a really nice lad id been running alongside. had a few words after with him.

splits were

3:59, 3:58, 4:06, 4:01, 4:05, 4:06, 4:11 (hill), 4:11, 0:11.

Was 32.48 on my watch - reckon 32:45 on chip (as i was trying to wait for map but still set it off early). 32:56 on clock crossing line.

Thanks to raheny for a great race, great family atmosphere and an accurate and fast course. nice goodie bag too. bloody freezing day tho -sort it out raheny!!

My OH ran too, ran 45:59 on clock (prob 45:40 chip), was delighted for her - a good 2 mins faster than i or her expected. she is flying and most importantly she enjoyed it and wants more.

I do too so its onto the my sport ennsicourthy 10k in 2 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

That's great running Kenny. Well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Well done kennyb - some great consistent running from you lately has paid off with a fantastic race result!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭messed_up

kennyb3 wrote: »
    :)
    funniest part was some old fart going mad with his horn trying to get out of his estate and some lad in a bray ac top whacking his bonnet and giving him the fingers - i laughed and shouted legend at the bray guy - the aul lad should have known the race was on (and/or been more patient).

I passed him just as he came to the junction and could see from the expression on his face that he was going to be an ignoramus and try to pull out while the race was in full flow. What an idiot!

Nice time too, by the way :)

225th in 32:42 per chip so another 6 seconds

nice one kennyb.

keep it going.

great time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Happy days Kennyb, well done mate. Totally agree with your comments about Raheny. Get a good vibe from the Raheny folk too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

nice one sham, well done

• Advertisement

Date: Sat 30th
    REST - took it easy before race

Date: Sun 31st
    RACE as above

weekly summary: 27 miles (due to race and took it as step back week)

weekly mileage this year:

6(sick)/34/31/27

Date: Mon 1st
    Session: Recovery Run
    Distance Ran: 5k/3.1miles
    Total Time: 28:11

Just a light jog to losen out the legs. right hamstring quite tight but should be grand in no time. did this mainly in the hope that i might be able to get a steady run in tomorrow night if the legs recover.

broke 100m on the way around.

YTD: 100.7miles / 18 runs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Great running kennyb3 - well deserved.

Date: Tues 2nd
    Session: Medium Long Run
    Distance Ran: 13k/8miles
    Total Time: 1:04:37 (7.53 m/pm)

Bit tougher than it should have been for the first part, as i was prob trying to run too fast only 2 days after the race, once i stopped fighting the body and dropped off the pace i enjoyed it.

took a few new turns and added in what hills i coud around malahide, which is like a pancake so they are hard to find, took a turn up by the grand hotel and there is a nice 500m of hill. i ll use this more regularly.

cant wait for the bright evening. dying for a run down by the estuary.

contemplating moving my sat long run around and hitting Alsaa for 400m intervals sunday evening as the gf is working and wanna get them in a full week ahead of the my sport 10k.

YTD: 108.7miles / 19 runs

Date: Wed 3rd
    Distance Ran: 5k/3.1miles
    Total Time: 32 odd mins

knee joints a bit sore and tired. legs still recovering fully from sunday. just took it easy again tonight after longish run last night.

will hopefully still hit 30 plus miles this week. torn between 12.5m long run on sat morning or cutting it short and doing intervals sunday night.

YTD: 111.8miles / 20 runs

Date: Thurs 4th
    Session: Mixed Interval Session
    Distance Ran: 7k/4.35miles
    Total Time: 38:38

Set off down the coast with the gf, but unbelievably windy and wet - no fun at all, so decided to head back and do few laps around the estate. actually turned into a great run.... something new and fresh and unexpected.

ended up doing a 4.2k warm up, first 1.5k handy, then she did 3 intervals around a 470m loop. 470m on, 470m off. i found them grand.

She warmed down and i started my reps. Did 400m on, 300m off (except 1st one i did 400m off as found 400m a bit too long resting). Did 5 overall. Could of done more but didnt wanna overdo it after sunday (im still very conscious about injury avoidance)

Reps were:

94/96/96/90/99

Recoveries were:

132/104/112/110

Have to say i really enjoyed it - must of looked like a nut to the neighbours out sprinting round the neighbourhood in the wind and rain. Loop contains 2 steep hills and downhills in between, great fun going down and not so much going up. makes for good workout tho.

will defo do this again. Still wanna get down to a track and do flat reps and even pace recoveries and see where im at.

YTD: 116.15miles / 21 runs

Date: Friday 5th
    Session: REST

Decided a night off would be of more benefit than junk miles

Date: Sat 6th
    Session: Long Run
    Distance Ran: 20.5k/12.7miles
    Total Time: 1hr 52

Did first 10k with the OH, in 62:40. Then picked it up and was aiming for 4:50 -5.00p/km for the next ten km. After slowly getting into it, i got a bit carried away in the middle section. end up doing about 5k at 4:30p/km. was just feeling easy, the difference in my breathing and legs lately is unreal - feeling really good. weight is down significantly also. did the 10k in 46:40 without too much effort. warmed down for half a km after.

weather was all over the place, got absolutely soaked to the skin first 30mins then turned into gorgeous morning. love running around malahide castle on a sunday morning.

over 31 miles this week, 1 day left but going out for a bit of a session later, so whether ill be up for a run tomorrow is very debatable.

YTD: 128.8miles / 22 runs

Date: Sunday 7th
    Session: REST

Hungover yesterday, no run, ate all around - fry, chinese, biscuits galore. thankfully i dont drink that often anymore. was nice to blow off some steam and enjoyed it.

Weekly summary: 31 miles

Date: Mon 8th
    Session: Fast Run
    Total Time: 35:50

Delighted to get out for this, thought id miss it. have taken up extra bookkeeping work outside of work in the quest to buy a house later this year, so this may get in the way with running at times. despit getting back late from clients i squeezed this in.

surprised i was able for the pace, given my weekend excesses and my muscles were still tight after sat (must do a recovery run on sundays in future). all in all a good run - slower first km, and 2*slower km's at end. middle km's were all 4:20's.

YTD: 133.8miles / 23 runs

good time to buy a house.

or at least much better than 2-3 years ago :D

good time to buy a house.

or at least much better than 2-3 years ago :D
    yeah just blessed i wasnt old enough, mature enough or well funded enough to buy a few years ago. prob be living in a €500k shoe box if i had been.

will try hold off as long as possible as prices still expected to fall another 10% this year and prob same again next year. will have to bite the bullet eventually tho. cant wait around forever.

a nice house near a nice park for running must be a must :D

• Advertisement

Date: Tues 9th
    Distance Ran: 7k/4.35miles
    Total Time: 34mins

nice handy one

YTD: 138.15miles / 24 runs

Date: Wed 10th
    Session: 400m intervals
    Distance Ran: 12.15k/7.55miles
    Total Time: Approx 59mins

Drove down to alsaa after work with a planned session. Went perfectly to plan. did 2k warm up - approx 12 mins incl some stretches. Then hopped into lane 3 and did 400m intervals 400m on, 400m off (as handy watch wise). 400m intervals (in seconds) and recoveries in brackets below.

- 96 (120)
    - 90 (120
    - 90 (121)
    - 92 (130)
    - 87 (126)
    - 87 (125)
    - 88 (127)
    - 93 (126)
    - 90 (125)
    - 85 (129)

did 10 mins warm down and stretches after.

so 11 reps and absolutely delighted with this session. approx 15mins around my VO2 max. recoveries prob a bit long but the 400m was handy watch wise and my main concern was doing all the reps at a good pace. will worry about recovery in few weeks.

achilles a bit sore during the 4th rep but not too bad and decided to continue on. think it was the different surface and the bend. it mainly hurt running round the bend on the reps. just praying to god it will be okay when i wake up in the morning as its the same one i struggled with last summer. seems okay now after tho.

YTD: 145.7miles / 25runs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

that's a great session kennyb3, I need to start going back to the track again

Thanks, was delighted with it for my first track session. enjoyed it too strangely enough.

yep the oul track session worth its weight in gold. imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Best of luck on Saturday Kennyb3 - you've been flying in training so go out there and nail it...;)

Thanks Rigal, it was all too good to be true - left achilles is a bit achy again today, was hoping yesterday off would sort it. will try an easy run tonight then make a decision whether to race or jog it with the OH.

Date: Thurs 11th
    Session: Rest

Date: Fri 12th

Total Time: havent a bog

god damn you achilles!its a tough one to tell - no worse but no better. sorer walking up stairs than running. if i was sensible i would take a few days off at least. im not so i ll prob race sunday and take it easy for week or two after.

I will be careful sunday and if it does get anyway sorer i ll ease up. I had something similar before xmas and got through it. its like a dull ache not the tendonitis i had before anyway.

YTD: 150.7miles / 26runs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

DON'T RACE YOU GAWBEEN!

I'm off with achilles tendonosis as you know, which is what you were off with for a while last year and it seems the same symptonms are recurring again in ya. read back your blog posts back then. As someone who is constricted to the bike and pool, im currently going mad and you KNOW THAT YOU SHOULD NOT RISK IT! thats why i am now laid up and you Know better than that!!! if you feel it ya know you shouldnt be running full stop. im off for another 6 -8 weeks because of it.

In saying that though, id be thinking the same as you if i was in currently running!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

Seems like a bad idea based on your history with this injury. I´d give it a skip and have an easy week and you´ll be back even better for the next race.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement