Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A passion for running and cycling

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Take to the pool for a week will reduce pressure on your achilles while maintaining training. Aqua running can give you nearly same yields in terms of fitness while bring down the pressure to as much as 7% of you total body weight per step. I am the same with my calf at the moment but i hit the pool hoping to be back by mid week rather than 3-4 weeks out.
    Pain is a message to your brain that there is something wrong with your body and if we dont listen to it we are only making things worse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Well like the stuborn idiot that i am i raced this today and delighted i did- gamble paid off. thanks for advice guys tho - appreciated. absoultely delighted with how the race went, didnt think i was anywhere near this shape.

up early and hour and drive down, got there early picked up pack with nice t shirt. warmed up achilles felt okay so decided to race. weirdly its been sore walking but not running. not even sure its the achilles its more to the left of it, like a tendon from lower calf.

met dustybin before the race, really nice bloke. had a chat, he said he was starting out for 40 - i said id be leaving him too it and felt id blow up if i did. i always start fast and when we took off i did first k in 3:55 despite it been quite uphill, around then he came up and we ran together for few strides before i let him go on a bit.

really helped having someone to target. 2nd km was around same pace. got running with a few small groups, in particular one tall guy in grey, dusty just 30m ahead. at this stage i was worrying we might be going too fast and blowing up later was constantly in my mind (id regret that later).

slowed by about 5seconds per km for next 2km. big down hill, which i tend to run slower than most (losing ground) but thankfully i power up them better than most. that hill was tough - very tough and quite long. gave it good effort and about half a k up the road was another i hadnt been warned about - was a bit gutted.

was really surprised ho well i was going tho given the times on the watch. expected breathing to be worse and that i might blow up. decided to push on here and went by dusty on the second hill. he hung on for bit so i had to put in a surge then. i honestly felt great around then. plenty of quick km's between 5 and 8. last 2k were tough as i was on my own completely into the wind. passed all the groups i ran with at the start. next one was 300m ahead and i only closed them down to about 20m by the end.

all the way around i was aware i was well under 40mins for 10k on my watch but my watch was losing 20-30m per km on the course (my racing line or what i dont know, was perfect for raheny but i changed batt since shouldnt affect it but maybe this). around 8k i knew i was going to break 40 on my watch but miss out on the course - bit gutted. anyway powered on. broke my raheny time during this.

really bashed the last downhill k and came in to see the clock at 40:22. delighted:) raced hard and way above my expectations. really think training is paying off. achilles was niggly in last 2k but seems okay after. will have 2 easy weeks and get it right

actually ran 39:20 on my own watch for 10k, but 40:22 for 10.33k. ah well

i now know i can break 40 for following reasons (and feel i could of today):

- confidence to push on km's 3 to 5. i prob finished even bit too fresh
    - difficult hilly course today, defo not billed as fast
    - running alone for 2k with no help, no targets and into wind.

If id 1 or 3 in the things above today id have broken 40. still over the moon tho. off out now for meal and glass of wine.

great to run with you dusty, delighted to see you run so well also - huge improvement on crookstown. sorry i had to rush off after was really dying for toilet.

my OH ran 55:30 or so which she was delighted about. im delighted for her too. think she'd have been happy with under an hour. she broke her raheny time too during it.

:):):):):) mmm food and wine.

PS very well organised race and excellent marshalling. worth travelling down for. hills are a good test too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

congrats kennyb3, good stuff outta you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Great racing kennyb3. Sounds like you ran really well. Sub-40 here you come..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sounds like sub 40 is just around the corner. Great running Kenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

Great run, the plan paid off!

Date: Sat 13th
    Session: Rest

Date: Sun 14th
    Session: Race

Weekly summary: 28miles

Weeks mileages have been:

6(sick)/34/31/27/31/28

YTD: 157miles / 27runs (2 races)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭messed_up

Excellent time - glad to see that the injury held up

messed_up wrote: »
    Excellent time - glad to see that the injury held up

Thanks, sorry to hear about your own woes. hopefully it will clear up quickly for you. good running prior to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

well done on your 10k pb.. yep sub 40 next :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Well done kennyb you ran a very good race, defo 40 for you and hopefully me the next time out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Sounds that the course was a little long, t'is a bit annoying that they can't get the distance of the course right (by all accounts the cupid's dash 10k was a little short- so you would have deffo broke 40 there!!)

Great run all the same, i am jealous of your ability to speed up over hills!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

what was the race? was it certified / measured ?
    good time by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Banging down that door of sub-40. Good to read.

..and importantly - how's the injury feeling?

what was the race? was it certified / measured ?
    good time by the way.
    my sport 10k enniscourthy. im sure it was accuarate, prob just my racing line. its been on a few years and has a good rep.

Peckham wrote: »
    Banging down that door of sub-40. Good to read.

..and importantly - how's the injury feeling?
    thanks, cant wait to knock that door down! injury actually seems better than before i ran - weird!dont think its even achilles. busy workwise this week but must see a physio at some stage.

sorry to hear your own woes, but like others have said you might still be in good enough shape if you get back on the shorter side of the expected lay off period. maybe even shorten the taper further? (as your use to marathons at this stage). i do feel for you - your training had been going great guns.

Date: Mon 15th
    Session: Easy/Recovery Run
    Distance Ran: 6.75k/4.2miles
    Total Time: 33:11

After 2 hours bookkeeping post dinner i really needed to clear the head, so went out for gentle jog around. left thigh sore all day, nothing to worry about just from the. no hint of achilles at me (but again its sore when i run up stairs - must not run up so). legs felt better after the run but calves are tight. did some stretching altho not very much.

run was great for clearing the head and i love when its cold and crisp like that. was ruined tho by onion rings from dinner repeating. I honestly dont know how people eat dinner and go for runs an hour or two later, my stomach was in knots for 2nd half of this due to dinner. usually id have lunch at 1 or so and straight out the door sometime between 6 and 7 when i get home. I could never imagine trying to run anyway faster without 4-5hours of no food beforehand.

This week will be easy miles all week, im under pressure in work and with bookkeeping as im off friday and away for weekend. will be a step back week and will allow achilles to clear up fully so hopefully it wont be on my mind early next week and can do some sessions. 10k in newry possibly teh next race if all goes weel.

YTD: 161.2miles / 28runs (2 races)

PS thanks to all above for the supportive comments.

Date: Tues 16th

Unplanned rest - buried under clients books.

Date: Wed 17th
    Session: mid/Long Run
    Distance Ran: 16k/10miles
    Total Time: 75:02 (4.41p/km)

Decided to do a longer run as away the weekend so tagged 2 miles onto my midweek mid distance run. would of stayed out for longer but combination of 2nd half of champions league and race last sun in back of the mind made 10 a perfect run.

The pace was a nice surprise, things going the right way nicely now. felt easy all the way to be honest and legs were in good shape. on a really good note achilles seems miles better now (touch wood).

its amazing how grand my legs (and whole body really)feel after a 10 miler now compared to 6months ago.

been thinkin about heading down to clonliff or raheny for last few months, might bite the bullet soon. in way tho im worried about loosing the flexibility to do what i want when i want. the extra work i ve taken on only complicates this.

YTD: 171.2miles / 29runs (2 races)

Date: Thurs 18th
    Session: Easy Run
    Distance Ran: 8k/5miles
    Total Time: 39:11

took the day off work to do some bookkeeping for the day and catch up on some stuff. got a nice daylight run in. was lovely out but cold. nice easy run. bringing the runners away for the weekend and will run tomorrow also but not sure about sat or sunday

YTD: 176.2miles / 30runs (2 races)

Was away since friday with the OH but still squished some running in

Date: Friday 19th

Date: Sat 20th
    Distance Ran: 7k/4.35m
    Total Time: no idea

Nice trail run around the grounds of the glenview hotel with the OH, lovely spot, and around a few of the roads. having driven up to the sugar loaf earlier that day up a very steep hill, just beside the entrance to the hotel, i got the whacky idea to try see how far up it i could run (my OH officially thinks im nuts), i wasnt expecting much given its ridiculously steep and doesnt level off at all for a breather. got 700m in about 4mins, which i was happy enough with. was a good bit of fun.

Date: Sun 21st
    Session: Steady Run
    Distance Ran: 10k/6.2m
    Total Time: 48mins

did the first 3.5k with the OH, then sped up. finished with 5k in just over 21mins.

29.75miles for the week, happy enough with that

YTD: 186.75miles / 32runs (2 races)

• Advertisement

Date: Mon 22nd
    Session: Long Run[/B]
    Distance Ran: 17.7k/11m
    Total Time: 1:24:30 (4:48 p/km or 7.43p/m)

Decided to get a good start to the week as i expect to be busy for most of it. prob did this a little fast but it felt comfortable, i try run more to feel these days. legs got a bit tired towards the end after 6 last night with 3 fast. glad to have it done now tho.

YTD: 197.75miles / 33runs (2 races)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Hi Kennyb, are you from around Wicklow or just visiting? If you liked that run we could make a hill runner out of you yet :D I run occasionally across from the Glenview in the Glen of the downs.. some lovely trails.

unfortunately i was just visiting - lovely area, would love to try some hill running some day but living in north dublin it wont happen anytime soon. they are some savage trails you have, some amount of hills tho, really take it out of your calves.

Date: Tues 23rd

Unplanned rest at just had too much bookkeeping to do and not enough hours in the day. will run friday now instead.no harm done bar not loosening the legs after last nights long one

Date: Wed 24th
    Session: Short Tempo
    Distance Ran: 8k/5m
    Total Time: 38:30

Wasnt risking missing a run again so straight out the door at 5 in work and out for run when i got home (bookkeeping now tho- or meant to be:D). did first 3k with OH and then 1k to get up to reasonable pace. Then did 4k tempo. Splits were:

4:06, 4:06, 4:02, 4:00

Happy days - hard but good

YTD: 202.75miles / 34runs (2 races)

Date: Thurs 25th
    Distance Ran: 8.6k/5.35m
    Total Time: 45mins

First few km slow, then showed the OH how to do a few intervals, few half km's at pace, a couple of quarter km's and one full km. did a few extra km's at the end myself to stretch the run, nothing faster than 4:40 a km so didnt over exert myself.

YTD: 208.1miles / 35runs (2 races)

Date: Fri 26th
    Session: Recovery Run
    Distance Ran: 6k/3.7m
    Total Time: 31mins odd

Just a nice handy one to losen out the legs for a big one on sat morning

Date: Sat 27th
    Session: Long Run
    Distance Ran: 24k/15m
    Total Time: 1hr 51mins (4:37p/km or 7.26pm)

This went even better than expected. woke up early with the sun shining through the curtain and knew it was going to be a good one. started out at 4:50p/km and worked my way down to 4:20p/km by the end. Headed up to malahide castle (2miles) , did 6 loops x 1 mile loops around the pitch and putt course, the first 10k was steady enough then i spotted someone ahead of me and obviously i had to chase them down:D (4:35p/km for few km to close the gap and pass). towards the end of the loops my stomach was in bits and i need the toilet badly so had to hit a nearby pub. crisis averted and got back on the road.

9k left to do so headed down into portmarnock and gradually picked it up finishing the last 6k at 4:25ish per km.

surprised myself with how well the run went and the pace, as its my 2nd longest run ever and longest run in about 5months. feels good to be doing things the right way since xmas - have built the long runs up slowly and ran all with slow starts and fast finishes. no niggles and legs are really getting used to the mileage. thats 40 for the week and one day to go.

and no im not doing a marathon soon, but this should give me a good base for an autumn marathon.

malahide castle was glorious this morning sun shining, loads of people and dogs around, birds singing - really enjoyed it. the sea was in too heading down to portmarnock and it looked lovely as did howth head. great morning for it. ideal conditions.

YTD: 226.4miles / 37runs (2 races)

Date: Sun 28th

Should have done a recovery run but the day got away from me. bookkeeping, carling cup final and a few too many millers to celebrate the rugby didnt help

Date: Mon 2nd
    Session: Tempo Run
    Distance Ran: 8.6k/5.35m
    Total Time: 45mins

Did 4k warm up with the OH then cracked into the tempo plan was to run 5k at 4.10per km, pretty similar to last couple of mondays except they were 4km.

Did first 3 quite comfy at 4.06, 4.07 and 4.09, then cranked up the pace a bit to see how well i was going without going mad, my training pb for 5k is 20.54 so i would have taken circa 30 seconds of this without killing myself.

Anyway not good news, got very short of breath half way through 4th k and heart was pounding like mad all of a sudden. had to stop. no chest pain though. was a bit scary. jogged slow/walked rest of the way home.

As coincidence would have it my GF is a nurse in cardiac unit in the Bons so obviously she freaked when i told her. So she want me to get precautionary ECG, so as per her orders im off running until i get that done. kind of didnt want to post this up but figured people might be wondering where i got to. Anyway im sure its nothing (and maybe even its all a mind game) but no harm in getting checked up anyway.

just want to get checked and get back running as things have been going great lately. plus im addicted and moody when not able to run!!:D

YTD: 231.75miles / 38runs (2 races)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Something similiar happened to me last year, ended up in A&E and an overnight stay in hospital, turned out not serious but got a bit of a scare, but got a full MOT for peace of mind. But your right to take it easy until you've got the all clear - to be sure, to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

definitely right to get it checked sham, mind yourself. I know what you mean about addicted and moody though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Sorry to hear that kennyb3, scary stuff. Let us know how you get on with the tests.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement