Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A passion for running and cycling

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Look after yourself kennyb
    Surely it's no biggy, but you're right to be getting it checked out 100%

:p Anyway sure, doing what you're told to do makes life easier at home :p

Let us know when you're in the clear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Sorry to hear of that incident kennyb
    Take care of yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

That´s a pity kennyb because you´ve been flying it recently. It´s probably nothing but it´s best to get it checked out for your (and your oh´s!) peace of mind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

DustyBin wrote: »
    :p Anyway sure, doing what you're told to do makes life easier at home :p

Well said. Take it handy Kenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

hope your back in action soon. pay extra attention to the diet now dont let it slip.
    good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

You bumbed into me last Saturday morning in Clonard Court, Kenny, on my way back from a hilly session in Ardgillan.
    Just to echo what others have said here, hope to see you back adding to this thread soon! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

You bumbed into me last Saturday morning in Clonard Court, Kenny, on my way back from a hilly session in Ardgillan.
    Just to echo what others have said here, hope to see you back adding to this thread soon! :D
    ha ha good spot, how did you manage to piece that one together? I was actually thinking after you passed - i wonder how far he was running and what sort of pace he does. was also thinking you see so many more runners about these days. Thanks also.

I ve had a few PM's asking how i am etc - appreciated lads - so i figured id give an update.

Had tests in the Bons (got to thank my gf for that as they were supposedly booked out till the end of April*) on Monday - echo, stress test and 24 hr holter monitor.

Then went to GP tues and got bloods taken - TFT, cholesterol, lipid and glucose tests.

Anyway Monday is D Day have a consultation with the cardiologist and get the results back. probably (hopefully) nothing but no harm in getting a full check up as it was scary.

Anyway i let you know monday night - hopefully (fingers crossed) after a celebrator run after getting the all clear. ( I need to get out more, i know i know)

* = she knows well i never would of waited that long before running again and was worried. its been a week and a half sure and im restless, constantly complaining when i see others running etc - you all know what its like

Got the all clear yesterday from the cardiologist - bloods were fine and tests show nothing. she said it could of been any number of anomolies but my own thoughts are that it might be dehydration related (which she included along with stress, overtraining etc), so will be making a big effort to drink more water something im terrible at. anyway instead of a celebratory pint i went for a celebratory run - its been 2 weeks since i done more than a gentle walk and i ve missed it.

Date: Mon 15th
    Session: Easy Run
    Distance Ran: 8k/5m
    Total Time: 37 and bit mins

felt good to be back. first km i took slow and couldnt get myself moving. threw in a quick km in the middle to test things but overall it was a grand steady run. will hopefully run again wednes and will just focus on steady running for next week or two. need to shed a couple of pounds i ve put on (even though diet has been better).

good to be back. will still be bit nervous for next while i reckon though.

YTD: 236.75miles / 39runs (2 races)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

Welcome back running kennyb3. Might see you out in the castle over the next few weeks! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

foleyalan wrote: »
    Welcome back running kennyb3. Might see you out in the castle over the next few weeks! :D

+1
    Good news there, welcome back :)

foleyalan wrote: »
    thanks, no doubt you will, you ll generally recognise me as i tend to wear skins with shorts over and a black nike top if you want to say hi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Great news. Its such a relieve to get the all clear, hope you havn't got hooked on the soaps while you've had the evenings on front of the tele:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

good stuff kennyb3
    instead of a celebratory pint i went for a celebratory run

you've got it bad

legs were stiff last couple of days after first day back so did nout

Date: Thurs 18th
    Session: Fast Run
    Distance Ran: 10k/6.2m
    Total Time: 44:37

Did this way too fast. set out to do 13k but was cruising along at jus over 4:30 a km, tried to slow down a bit which i did but then there was a string of runners ahead so i just tried to get pass them all and up nearly running a 4 min km, decided to shorten it to 10k then and just pushed on.

mad that up to about 8weeks ago i couldnt run this sort of time, now i did it second run back almost unintentionally. glad i havent lost too much, but my legs do seem to get tired and stiffer. 10miles planned with a mate sat morning around the castle park

YTD: 242.95miles / 40runs (2 races)

Date: Fri 19th
    Session: Rest

Date: Sat 20th
    Session: Medium/Long Run
    Distance Ran: 15k/9.3m
    Total Time: 1.16.40

First 5k with oh in 31 mins and a bit, then 10k in 45:30. bit too fast and i was tired at the end.

Training a bit day on day off this week due mainly to social stuff, will get back some consistency this week without going mad.

Date: Sun 21st

YTD: 252.25miles / 41runs (2 races)

Date: Mon 22nd
    Session: Medium Run
    Distance Ran: 13k/8m
    Total Time: 59mins odd

still feeling my way back into things, this was a mix of everything really. mainly 4.40 per km but some slower and a couple of tempo k's to finish off before i warmed down to see how i felt.

aim is just to run 5 days (at least) this week, not feel too tired and prob steer clear of anything overly fast.

thinking of running the dunboyne 4 miler the follwoing weekend, will wait and see tho

YTD: 260.25miles / 42runs (2 races)

Date: Tues 23rd
    Session: Easy Run
    Distance Ran: 8k/5m
    Total Time: No idea

off work today - eye infection but still managed a run. 5m recovery, manged to tip my garmin off a tree avoiding a cyclist on way round and its just gone off - hope its not broke, will leave it in but not looking good. was only a tip so obviously not shock proof.

legs are tired

YTD: 265.25miles / 43runs (2 races)

Date: Wed 24th
    Session: 3k TT
    Distance Ran: 6.45k/4m
    Total Time: 11.32 for 3k TT

Decided to focus my training on the le cheile 5k in 6 weeks time. been reading the P & D advanced road running book and decided to hop into the 20-40 miles schedule with 6 weeks to go on 5k plan. my longer runs would be longer than those prescribed so will cut them back slightly to circa 10 miles - the focus will be on the tempos, VO2 sessions and strides in the plan.

so tonight called for a 3k time trial - tough. 1.5k warm up then blasted off (too fast). splits were 3.46, 3.50, 3.56. (3.51 average). i started off bit too fast and was really hurting on the second one but the 3rd one was just bit slower cause its hilly. 2k+ warm down .

will do the same TT in 4 weeks time, and see how i go.

happy enough as i remeber doing a 2k TT before xmas and managing about 8mins just for the 2km's - its always harder to go fast in training.

aim is to break 19mins (hopefully) but im going to train for 3.45 average KM's - 18.45.

calves have been tender since i started back, will just go for a recovery with the OH later.

YTD: 269.25miles / 44runs (2 races)

dont tell me its nearly a yr since your 5km le cheile run where u did a good time :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What's the advanced road running book like? Are the plans specific to distances, or more general?

yeah it i ll be a full year in 6 weeks time. hoping to take 40 seconds off that time at least - not a huge huge amount for a full year but its hard to take time off over such a short distance. id say my 10k time is at least 3 mins better (even though i ve only ever done one 10k official race) which more shows the improvement.

i ll focus on the 5k, then on breaking 40 which shouldnt be that hard if i can break 19 and then i ll pick a half marathon and train for a 1.27 -1.29.

krusty,

Its split into different race sections as follows:

- 8k to 10k
    - 15k to half's
    - marathon

It gives plans and talks about the psychology and physiology of each one. I like it alot myself.

For me i like to read it from time to time to remind myself of what i should be doing when focusing on shorter stuff, its very hard not to get caught up doing longer workouts as alot of what is talked about on here is re half and marathons and the majority of training logs are based on training for same.

Like i ve realised i ve been missing basic speed workouts (strides) and doing too many tempo's and not enough VO2 max intervals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Looks like the training is going well.

Im finally getting over the achilles tendonosis. Man that was a horrible injury. I figure ill stay off my feet until next month. Focus on the cycling and stuff.

Current plans on bringing down shorter distance times, gonna go foe a marathon again or is that way off or not on the agenda?

ULstudent wrote: »
    Looks like the training is going well.

Im finally getting over the achilles tendonosis. Man that was a horrible injury. I figure ill stay off my feet until next month. Focus on the cycling and stuff.

Current plans on bringing down shorter distance times, gonna go foe a marathon again or is that way off or not on the agenda?
    glad to hear your near back UL - its a horrible teasing injury, wouldnt wish it on anyone.

how is the cycling going? i was only thinking the other day i must get the bike back out it need a new tyre and a service though.

marathon might be on the agenda in sept/oct but its only a might at this stage

Date: Thurs 25th
    Session: Recovery
    Distance Ran: 4.35k/2.7m
    Total Time: 30mins

Meant to be my day off but just went out with the OH and did a little bit to losen out the legs.

got up this morning to do a tempo but it was bleak and i was tired so i crawled back into bed. will do it later instead.

YTD: 271.95miles / 45runs (2 races)

Date: Friday 26th
    Session: Tempo
    Distance Ran: 9.6k/6m
    Total Time: ???

1.5k warm up, followed by 6k at half marathon pace (4.16 p/km)

splits were

4.18, 4.16, 4.15, 4.16, 4.19, 4.13.

happy with that. it was tough enough - it aint really my HM pace after them two weeks off. training times are generally 10secs p/km slower/harder anyway

2k warm down

YTD: 277.95miles / 46runs (2 races)

Date: Sat 27th
    Session: Recovery
    Distance Ran: 7k/4.35m
    Total Time: 49 mins

recovery after fridays tempo with oh

Date: Sun 28th
    Session: Long Run
    Distance Ran: 16k/10m
    Total Time: 1 hour 16 mins

glorious morning. took it easy enough for first 11k and let loose for last 5k.

its been a great week - 40 miles including a 3k TT, a 6k tempo and a long run and 7 days running.

take tomorrow off and then plan calls for 7 * 600m on tuesday so it will be down to alsaa

YTD: 292.3miles / 48runs (2 races)

Date: Mon 29th

took a rest day after 7 days running in row.

Date: Tues 30th
    Session: 7 * 600m
    Distance Ran: 8.5k/5.3m
    Total Time: about 40mins

Plan called for 7*600m so headed down to alsaa. wasnt looking forward to it given the weather and was a bit nervous as last time i hit the track i ended up with achilles niggle.

arrived and the weather was grand enough apart from cold - very little water on the tarck.

set the watch up for 7*600m with 2min rest in between. aim was do do 2.15 for the 600m (3.45 p/km pace). splits were as follows:

delighted with that. A few seconds too fast for each - its no wonder i felt like crap doing them. They were tough - much tougher than 400's id done before. have no clue how they ended up so consistent as the fr60 gives you an average pace but it was up and down a bit - but there is no time for each split (id normally check at 300m and adjust if slightly fast or slow).

after the 4th one i walked for 30 secs of the recovery then jogged the other 90secs. i generally started the reps a bit too fast and slowed down after, i ll try make it more even in future.

i think its 2 weeks to 5*1km - cant wait - not!

The bright evenings are great but i defo felt less like an athlete with no lights (way more glamirous)- more like an idiot splashing around a wet track.

YTD: 297.6miles / 49runs (2 races)

• Advertisement

I'd say they're the kind of sessions that will stand to you for a 5km race.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement