Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A passion for running and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I'd say they're the kind of sessions that will stand to you for a 5km race.
    big time, its 5k specific training for next 5 weeks. been doing too many steady miles, tempo's etc and not enough basic speeed and VO2 max sessions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

kennyb3 wrote: »
    big time, its 5k specific training for next 5 weeks. been doing too many steady miles, tempo's etc and not enough basic speeed and VO2 max sessions.

I wouldn't worry too much about this. The fact that you getting a lot of tempo and steady miles in means that you are developing your strength which will stand to you not just in your ability to race but more importantly your ability to train. YOur body will be able to cope better with the intense intervals sessions and you will be able to maintain your paces better.
    Coming into the summer i feel that you can start speed work now and get some very good races in over the summer. I am the same myself i have only been back doing speed work the last three weeks after a long strength building block which began way back in september. Remember its a lot easy to tune the speed once you have strength than to get strength when you have only speed.

thanks ecoli and i do agree, i find that having done alot of steady training and builing since january that my body is now much better at handling the speed sessions and also recovering from them.

i do feel alot stronger and my legs feel better the day after a hard session.

i ll remember your last point tho, sound like good advice.

Date: Wed 31st
    Session: Recovery Run
    Distance Ran: 4.5k/2.8m
    Total Time: 23 mins

Went out for run with the OH who was doing a fast 5k and figured id tag on 3k to 5k. run got ruined by massive storm - hail and gale force winds. got soaked, had sore eyes and ears and had to even shelter at one stage. never seen anything like it. was glad to get home but i was frozen. think herself was more pissed ouff as she was on fro cica 26mins which is just short of her 5k race pb.

obviously by time i got out of the shower after the whole thing had cleared:mad:

Date: Thurs 1st
    Session: Steady Run
    Distance Ran: 8k/5m
    Total Time: 37:21

After yesterday i was keen to make a few miles up, its been a low mile week thus far, so i went for my 1st morning run in ages - and my last. absolutely hated it -first run in ages i aint enjoyed. just felt asleep, and not right at all. way too much effort for the pace i was running. anyway glad to get it done as i wont have chance later as my bro is home from austria for weekend.

YTD: 305.4miles / 51runs (2 races)

300.4 miles

split 97.6 / 128.8 / 74

I was sick for first week and half of jan, february went to plan but i missed two weeks of March with the heart scare.

Amazingly though i ve done nearly 50% of the mileage i did last year already.

2 races and 2 PB's also

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

i used to do some real early morning runs. times were always way down from typical evening running. the body was just wrecked/tired i dunno?

i used to do some real early morning runs. times were always way down from typical evening running. the body was just wrecked/tired i dunno?
    i wont be in a hurry to do one again anyway, im sure you get use to it but 5 more of this morning and id be off running for good

Date: Thurs 1st - pm
    Session: Speed Work
    Distance Ran: 5k/3.1m
    Total Time: 21mins

decided to do a double today as just suited. made it my 2nd V02 session of the week. did this around my old loop in balbriggan after driving out to see my bro.

Did 4.5k of this in 18.08, just over 4mins per km - was on to take approx 40seconds off my old pb (20.54 for 5k) for this course, been a good while since i ran it tho.

just warmed down a bit to make it up to 5k

will take it easy enough tomorrow, 2hard sessions now in 3 days.

YTD: 308.5miles / 52runs (2 races)

Date: Friday 2nd
    Session: Easy Run
    Distance Ran: 8k/5m
    Total Time: 39.11

5m recovery to easy out the legs which were sore after a double yesterday including a 4.5k TT. hopefully be grand for 10m in the morning and get home for man u v chelsea

YTD: 313.5miles / 53runs (2 races)

Date: Sat 3rd
    Session: Long Run
    Distance Ran: 16k/10m
    Total Time: 1 hr 20mins

did 6k with the oh, then 10k by myself - 8 of which were prob a bit fast at 4.30 a km. good spin tho.

finished up with 3 hill reps of 300m each.

think thats the hardest weeks training i ve ever done - not in terms of mileage but in terms of intensity. 2 speed sessions, a long run and some hills today. 31.2 miles so far - just a recovery run to come tomorrow.

5 weeks to le cheile

YTD: 323.5miles / 54runs (2 races)

• Advertisement

Date: Sun 4th
    Session: Rest

never got out for my recovery run due to family stuff/being tired after few pints night before - not the worst session to miss.got all my key sessions in last week

Date: Mon 5th
    Session: Vo2 Session (11*400m)
    Distance Ran: 9k/5.6m
    Total Time: 42mins approx

this was nearly not meant to be. headed to alsaa - closed. headed on to clonliffe - marking track, not allowed on. then remembered there was a track in gormanstown - bit of a trek but went for it.

when i got there found it was a muck track and not gravel as thought- lovely on the joints but was quite slippy. did my 1k warmup and then 400m intervals with 90 secs recovery (about 30 secs less than last time). times were:

85, 87, 86, 88, 85, 88, 88, 91, 89, 88, 82 (seeing what was left).

all in all it went brilliant. laps quicker than about 6 weeks ago, recovery shorter and also there was a serious wind and a sloppy slippy track.

my oh came with me and she did 9 *400m at 1.55 per rep and much quicker at timeswith 400m recovery. she seemed to really enjoy it too.

Date: Tues 6th
    Session: Medium Run
    Distance Ran: 13k/8m
    Total Time: 59mins (4.34p/km)

Had a bit of a stiff groin starting out but it eased out. started off at 4.40p/km - felt like a dwaddle which is good. just kept it steady until 9k when i picked it up for 3km at tempo. all done at 4.10p/km and felt comfortable (not easy but not hard just right). only did 3km as dont want to overdo it. planning intervals thurs night too.

training going well the intervals seem to be really helping. trying to space them out as best i can in order to not get injured but 2 speed sessions a week is really helping. in last 2 and bit weeks have done - 3k TT, 7*600m, 4.5k TT, 11*400m.

plan is to do 6*800m thursday, 5*1k the following week, then 3*1mile week after and then 2*2k. will also try get a 10k and 3k TT in into 2 of them weeks and maybe some 200's and 400's at some stage to keep the speed up. long runs will be 10-12 miles and 1 other medium run and the rest will be recovery. thats the plan up to le cheile anyway. enjoying training loads.:)

YTD: 337.1miles / 56runs (2 races)

good sessions there KB.

i was reading an inspirational article about a guy named steve way in this months runners world.
    he didnt start running till his 3o's. he was 5 or 6 stone over weight.
    he lost the weight afetre taking up running .
    he now runs every morning and evening now.
    his marathon times are amazing. he did 2:25 in last yrs new york. he's aiming to beat 2:18 in this months london marathon. and that would make him one of the top uk runners !!!
    not bad for a guy who only took up running 3 or 4 years ago.
    you should check him out in the mag or check his log on runners world forum or on twitter. i will be watching with interest this yrs london mara to see how he gets on.

anyways just thought i'd share that with you if you had'nt seen it.

will try get my hands on a copy of runners world. I have a few years on him but i fear i dont have quite the level of commitment to be running 100miles plus a week. if i win the lotto tonight id like to try tho:D

Date: Wed 7th
    Session: Rest

mentally i didnt want to rest but physically i needed it. stiff left calf and groin. good decision (for once)

Date: Thurs 8th
    Session: Vo2 Intervals (6*800m)
    Distance Ran: 8.5k/5m
    Total Time: 39 mins total

Went to alsaa but it was after half 7 before i could get there today - very very busy on the track so decided to head to gormanstown again. back to my mud track. must join a club to get use of a track (gormanstown is a good drive).

did 1k warmup, should do more but light was against me. then 6 * 800m with 2mins 15 recovery in between. splits were

- 2.54, 3.00, 2.59, 3.00, 2.57, 2.56

so all at or below 3.45p/km (5k goal pace). the middle ones i tried to concentrate on running form, being consistent with pace and trying to trick/get my mind use to thinking this is my 5k pace. very happy with the session esp given its on mud track.

can really see why doing these is important - ran 4.8k in 17.45 - obviously with gaps of recovery but really trains the body to get use to that pace over similar distance it.

will prob cut the intervals to once a week now, i love them (im a saddist i know) but mileage suffers due to not wanting to do too much the day before or after. will do 5*1k next thurs. have really trained hard last 3 weeks with all the speed sessions - can really notice the difference tho, i remember struggling to do 90secs for 400m with 2mins recovery, but now 3mins for 800m feels okay and my 400's are 85-87 and with 30secs less recovery. still all the intervals are brutal on the body hence i ll switch back to once a week now. body has stood up well tho just dont want to take liberty's.

YTD: 342.4miles / 57runs (2 races)

Date: Fri 9th
    Session: Long Run (well meant to be)
    Distance Ran: 11k/6.7m
    Total Time: 49.45

knew i wouldnt get long run done tomorrow so decided to do it today. headed up to the parents for change a scenery and because malahide castle was closed by time i got out.

legs didnt feel too bad walking around the office today so planned 16-20k , but the minute i started running i knew my left calf would be a problem. got 200m and quick stretch and off i went.

plan was to stay at 4.40p/km (which i did for the whole of 1km(the first)).

just got into a lovely groove, one of them nights we all have every now and then, was tanking along without much effort. went nicely up big hill which is about 750m long without much effort, then was going easy for rest of it, just cantering along breathing easily. actually went through 10k in 44.45 which is 1st time ever sub 45 on that course and barely had to try.

calf got a bit worse at 6k so said id call it a day early, so got to 10k then did small warm down. its just tight after yesterdays intervals - dont think its lasting damage/injury. will take tomrrow off and will be very hungover sunday so should be fine by mon.

feel in great shape, really cant get over how easy i went up that hill and how easy 4.30p/km felt.

YTD: 349.1miles / 58runs (2 races)

Well no running since friday, training had been going great but did my best to sabbotage my shot at sub 19 at le cheile in few weeks

Friday

medium pizza from pizza hut, half an easter egg, pack of crisps and coke after work.

Saturday

Chinese in the evening followed by plenty of miller washed down with some double vodka's and oj and a jager bomb (or two).

Sunday

Chicken and spicy wdge roll for breakfast then hit the pub at 5, had about 8 pints of miller, few vodka and redulls, few vodka and oj's then took a late night trip to apache pizza

Monday

Nothing too bad

Tuesday

GF finished nights so off out for 3 course meal and couple of pints of guiness

Wednesday

Punishment run planned.

Only good thing i can say is at least my calf feels better now. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Friday

medium pizza from pizza hut, half an easter egg, pack of crisps and coke after work.

Saturday

Chinese in the evening followed by plenty of miller washed down with some double vodka's and oj and a jager bomb (or two).

Sunday

Chicken and spicy wdge roll for breakfast then hit the pub at 5, had about 8 pints of miller, few vodka and redulls, few vodka and oj's then took a late night trip to apache pizza

Meh, that sounds like a standard weekend to me :eek::D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sounds like he's doing some serious carbo loading.

cop on man.

we might have to ship you out to isolated training.

Date: Wed 14th
    Session: Steady Run
    Distance Ran: 11k/6.7m
    Total Time: 54mins

Did the first 4k with the GF then next 7k myself. calf went from grand to very sore very quickly in last km. ended up hobbling home. will take some time off and go see the physio. its just tight mid way between the calf muscle and the achilles. dont think its anything majorly serious just a tightness.

will get the bike serviced this weekend and get out on that.

YTD: 355.8 miles / 59 runs (2 races)

• Advertisement

Went to the physio sat morning - have some inflamation in tendon beside calf - weeks rest neeeded. feels better already, can walk around pain free but think it could be longer than a week before im running.

Anyway got the bike serviced sat and got out on sunday morning

cycling

55km @ 28.1 km/ph. went out the backroads by swords which were in bits and the average speed on these was only 26ish but i was well able to keep 30+ on the flat main roads on the way back. was surprised by that. legs got tired toward the end. will try get out tues after work and might start to cycle to work again soon.

cycling

45km @ 27.5km/ph. speed was slower than the previous day due to spending some time in the hills. did a 9min climb up the five roads towards hollywood lakes golf course. remembered i can sweat from my eyelids.

legs were shot to pieces in last 5k tho from doing 2 nights in row after nothing for months. sitting down is sore and back is bit tight too. rest day today

good to be doing something while off running tho

21st April - cycling

40km spin in and back from work. speed irrelevant due to traffic lights etc.

will do a long spin on sat morning.

hoping to get back running by next monday

24th April - cycling

55k - very windy so very hard. did malahide - lusk- rush - skerries and back again. shattered now.

calf still aint right so going to miss le cheile.

plan is to mix cycling and running for the summer now and prob train for the DCM then

weekly summary

195k cycling, mainly flat tho. want to get some hills in next week - have the long bank holiday to really get a few good spins in.

calf coming right now too, so will be back with light jog soon

Cycling

30k @ 30.5km/ph. pushed it tonight and found a bit of speed again.

YTD: 225 km

Date: Mon 26th
    Session: Easy Run
    Distance Ran: 3.7k/2.3miles
    Total Time: 18mins 30secs

By doing the brick i knew it would make me keep the run easy. calf felt ok all the way through, i just went nice and easy and was extra tentative. hopefully okay tomorrow now. i ll run easy for a week anyway.

great nite out wanted to stay out longer - but was sensible.

YTD: 358.1 miles / 60 runs (2 races)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Give me a shout if you want to do a few laps of Howth (church side up!) on the BH weekend, I need to get the tri bike out before the Phoenix Park duathlon next week.

christeb wrote: »
    Give me a shout if you want to do a few laps of Howth (church side up!) on the BH weekend, I need to get the tri bike out before the Phoenix Park duathlon next week.
    sound i should be up for that. would love to do the duathlon myself, but tendon in left calf is a little stiff this morning - will be plenty more to do tho.

Cycling

45k @ 29km/ph. nice tail wind going out, was averaging 33km/ph, then headed up a steep climb and back again.killer coming back against the wind - tried to stay on the drops for as long as poss.

malahide - murtaghs pub - 5 roads climb - ballboughal - swords - malahide

YTD: 270 km

• Advertisement

Went back down to the club for first time this year, wasnt sure what to expect given i ve only been back on the bike week and half and longest spin has been 55k.

spun down the 15k to meet the lads, nice and easy (26km/ph) and then was very surprised to find i survived the 75k with the group at 30.5km/ph quite comfortably. more surprised with how comfortbale i felt all the way round which was great. (i got dropped first one of these last year and had done alot more at that stage but i was never even close to in trouble here). finished off with 15k home @ 28.5km/ph which felt handy.

delighted with that - 105km in 3 and half hours on a sat morning and home by half 11.

rounded it off by falling asleep on the couch for an hour after some lunch:cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement