Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A passion for running and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

nice going kennyb3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

180k cycling

3.8k running

calf still aint right so just going to give it two weeks rather than keep testing the water. enjoying the bike anyway and its a nice change

nothing since last sat for various reasons

Cycling

55k @ 29km/ph.

malahide - murtaghs pub - 5 roads climb - belgee - bog of the ring - malahide.

first 25k averaged only 27.5km/ph or so as bit of climbing and spinning. then through in a 10k tt - 33.5km/ph for that and then just spun home. nice night for it. i struggled on the hills tho heart rate felt unusually high tonight on them for whatever reason.

have some neck pain, dont think im relaxing on the bike cant find comfy hand position or bike aint right fit. must read the cycling forum on it tomorrow - in work obviously to pass some time:)

YTD: 430 km

well not having a good time of it lately, had to miss swords spin this morning with neck pain i ve been having since thursdays spin:mad: between that and my calf i feel crocked and cursed. cant imagine how sungod must feel - incredibly frustrating

anyway i went out for a light run this morning just to see where my calf is actually at - its a strange one, i can stretch it all day and feel nothing but its been stiff next day after some jogs. anyway this morning went okay but its all about how it feels in the morning. lashed the tiger balm on and gave it a massage after so we ll see

Date: Sat 8th
    Session: Easy Run
    Distance Ran: 5k/3.1miles
    Total Time: 24mins 42secs

YTD: 361.2 miles / 61 runs (2 races)

40km commuting on the bike yesterday.

Took a trip back to the physio on Monday, a different one as last one told me it would be about a week and its now 3 weeks. Got a different diagnosis too - have a bit of tendonapathy, basically my left achilles is far thicker than the other one.

now the achilles itself isnt sore but its obviously part of the problem - and the fact its sore next day and not when actually running makes sense. got a whole heap of stretches (alot of eccentric ones). Have been doing them religously since.

cycled yesterday as said above and physio said it was okay but i ll prob keep it to a minimum. take a trip to pool over the weekend and do some aqua jogging.

back to physio next thursday.

On plus note i ve been making a big effort with my diet which isnt something im good at (i ve a sweet tooth) and am hopefully going to continue on when i get back and finaly get down to a nice racing weight rather than eating what i want because i run.

also been doing some core work and weights - things i neglect bar the odd occassions so hopefully i can continue on after i get back running.

Cycling YTD: 470 km

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Not nice to read the recent posts on your log kennyb, you've had a run of bad luck on the injuries
    Hopefully you will be able to get things sorted out this time, and get yourself a decent solid stint at the training

On the plus side you have now taken to the pool, you know that if you wave your arms about a bit you may actually start swimming, and the tri deal is well and truly done at that stage :D

Look after yourself, take it easy and come back only when it's right

Some impressive cycling from you recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

yeah every time u seem to flying with the running you get injured. hopefully you'll get a good 6 months inj free and beat that 10km sub 40 i'd say you have in ya.

DustyBin wrote: »
    Not nice to read the recent posts on your log kennyb, you've had a run of bad luck on the injuries
    Hopefully you will be able to get things sorted out this time, and get yourself a decent solid stint at the training

Thanks, that is the major aim - a long unbroken stint of training - i ve very rarely had one the year year and bit i ve been running, with about a months decent training after xmas i went from about 43mins for 10k to 40mins so that shows what i can do.

The main reason I keep getting injured is because (and i need to write this down for myself for future) is because im so hard on myself mentally - always wanting to be better, im just that type of person and thus it impacts physycally. Its obvious that with this and the last few times i ve got injured i ve been doing too much - long runs too fast, too much tempo or intervals. I need to learn to relax enjoy running more and be easier on myself and let myself progress due to a long batch of training and stop pushing it so much. I ll hopefully learn my lesson one day!

I also have to accept that im the type of person thats susceptible to injury and my left achilles may always knock things back. i ll hopefully work around it and find a plan that suits myself (i.e less speed work).
    On the plus side you have now taken to the pool, you know that if you wave your arms about a bit you may actually start swimming, and the tri deal is well and truly done at that stage :D

My OH actually wants me to start swimming properly and take lessons - I think its cause she knows what a pain in the ass i am when i cant do anything, constantly moaning etc, but she says its because she thinks Id be suited to triathlon.
    Look after yourself, take it easy and come back only when it's right

Again thanks, that is the plan anyway. its a real niggly injury i can actually run on it but because its little stiff(only slightly) the next day i know im doing no good. id rather get it properly right.
    Some impressive cycling from you recently

Thanks, but again I think i tried to do too much too soon hence the neck pain, i ll keep tipping away at it and build up slowly now. I hope to keep the cycling up over the summer even when back running.

BTW, keep up the brilliant training yourself, you are going about it the right way and your progression is top notch. its still 1-0 tho:D (although u'd kill me now)

yeah every time u seem to flying with the running you get injured. hopefully you'll get a good 6 months inj free and beat that 10km sub 40 i'd say you have in ya.
    all my own fault really tbh, id say if i get 2 months injury free id whop sub 40 no bother. How you getting on yourself. Still finding time for the odd run?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

kennyb3 wrote: »

its still 1-0 tho:D

Hey listen, let me know when you're back fighting fit and we'll soon sort that out :D

Marathon training's been going good alright, thanks, just a little niggle with the ankle today - should be fine with rest. Abandoned this mornings run and hopped on the bike instead (it was either that or go into 1.5 hours early)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

all my own fault really tbh, id say if i get 2 months injury free id whop sub 40 no bother. How you getting on yourself. Still finding time for the odd run?

yep back after complete 6 mths break. hope to do street of galway 5miler in aug. was back at square 1 after starting back but slowly getting fitter. aiming to break 34:30 but race seems to be creeping up too fast. im just at 39min pace at the moment but seem to be getting fitter every week that goes by so hopefully................. 10km sub 40 ........thats a completly diff story. we'll see. but a long way off at the moment. i'd say if i was to do a sub 40 i'd quit and never run again.!:-)

yep back after complete 6 mths break. hope to do street of galway 5miler in aug. was back at square 1 after starting back but slowly getting fitter. aiming to break 34:30 but race seems to be creeping up too fast. im just at 39min pace at the moment but seem to be getting fitter every week that goes by so hopefully................. 10km sub 40 ........thats a completly diff story. we'll see. but a long way off at the moment. i'd say if i was to do a sub 40 i'd quit and never run again.!:-)
    glad to hear your back anyway thats the main thing, cannot wait to get back myself.

65km @ 29.5km/ph.

delighted with this today as i did it on my own and also it was very windy for the first half, 32k or so into a head wind is very tough. still i felt strong all the way through and i think im capable of 5o-60k at over 30kmph when its less windy.

I cycled from malahide up the old N1 and up to the huntsman pub and back again.

The other thing i need to consider is upgrading my bike - im on a defy 4 with very heavy wheels and puncture resistant tyres. Could really do with a carbon frame, some decent wheels and tyres. Costly but its something to think about.

Cycling YTD: 535 km

27km @ 29km/ph.

I absoultely buried myself last night. The cycle out the coast road to howth was horrible fighting a strong headwind, i gave it socks, then through sutton village and up howth the long way - 4km of steady climbing - first time over it this way and everytime i turned i thought it was over and it just kept going up. i was sweating buckets. anyway got up and over with my avergae speed at only 24km/ph.

Quick descent altho not as quick as i wanted as i got stuck behind a car and it was home. came home the coast road with teh wind and was averaging about 36km/ph for the 11km.

A good nights work and got in just before the rain.:)

Cycling YTD: 562 km

19th June - am

18km @ 30km/ph.

cycled into work this morning. pleased with the speed with having to slow down for lights and traffic. could feel the other night in my legs.

got caught out with the heat - too many layers, massively overheated - still trying to cool down.

Cycling YTD: 580 km

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Good man kennyb3. Doing some cycling these days - fair play - You'll have to rename this log!:p

Macanri wrote: »
    Good man kennyb3. Doing some cycling these days - fair play - You'll have to rename this log!:p
    ta, i know it was the same last summer (got injured then too) but have to say im really enjoying it. i see you went over over howth the steep way from the village, which do you find harder that or the long 4km uphill way by going via sutton side?

ta, i know it was the same last summer (got injured then too) but have to say im really enjoying it. i see you went over over howth the steep way from the village, which do you find harder that or the long 4km uphill way by going via sutton side?

That's a difficult one to call - one way is tougher but shorter lived and the other vice versa. That's only my second time going around Howth, the first was the 4km climb. We (and christeb) will have to meet for a cycle race one of these days.

Macanri wrote: »
    That's a difficult one to call - one way is tougher but shorter lived and the other vice versa. That's only my second time going around Howth, the first was the 4km climb. We (and christeb) will have to meet for a cycle race one of these days.
    Cycle yes, definitely not a race - well up that hill anyway that would just not be fun! was my first time over it the long way the other night, what killed me was thinking it was over and then i turned corner and up it goes again - torture. i ll have to get clip on aero bars at some stage its miserable cycling against the wind on that coast road when its really blowing.

if i dont commute tomorrow (or even if i do but you ll have to be easy on me) i might give you a PM if you're around as herself is working so must take advantage

Only kidding about the race. Last time I was talking to christeb about cycling around Howth he was speaking about a challenge! So that's were that came from.
    Friday evening is my brick of the week. Was going to cycle to pslc and cycle back. But don't mind changing that to my normal Fri bike/run brick. I will have to wait til the kids are snoozing so I'm not usually out til 8 or after. If that suits drop us a line.

• Advertisement

19th June - pm

20km @ 30km/ph.

grand cycle home, very warm, come home via the estuary (slightly longer) because of the traffic. strong headwind along the estuary

Cycling YTD: 600 km

22nd June

80km spin with the club, broken down as follows:

15k spin up to the lad @ 28kmph - just spun a low gear to warm up the legs

60k @ 30.4km/ph - started off very slow for first 10k but then picked up nicely. took a good 5min turn on the front myself, after the 3 sisters. there doesnt seem to be a mad sprint at the back of the airport this year which is a pity as it would really help me get ready for racing.

10k @ 26km/ph - just gentle spin home through the traffic

smashing day for it, tan lines coming along nicely, nice to have it done and be home by 11.

grand cycle home, very warm, come home via the estuary (slightly longer) because of the traffic. strong headwind along the estuary

Cycling YTD: 680 km

24th June

27k @ 28.5 km/ph

Didnt kill myself tonight, just a nice leisurely spin down and around howth, was nice to just go out and enjoy a spin.

really happy with my climbing compared to last week, again went up the long less steep side via sutton village, didnt need to get out of the saddle and felt faster and more controlled spinning up. it aint ever going to be easy tho.

will give the other steeper side a go next day

Cycling YTD: 707 km

25th June - am

18k @ 27.5 km/ph

nice commute this morning. low average speed as im way too lazy to clip in and out at lights so i try roll slowly up and balance on them before taking off when the lights go green.

could feel last nights climb in my legs too, no power in my thighs at all.

Cycling YTD: 725 km

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Great cycling KennyB3. Moving to the bike myself as this running injury wont clear up.
    Just one question. What month is it? ;) You had me worried for a second.

stmochtas wrote: »
    Great cycling KennyB3. Moving to the bike myself as this running injury wont clear up. .

Thanks dude. Did you get your bike yet? i seen you asking in the cycling forum, said id let those that know more answer it for you.

Just one question. What month is it? ;) You had me worried for a second.

ah fook, just kept copying and pasting and updating the number part, cant believe it wasnt said by now.

Thanks dude. Did you get your bike yet?

Yes, I ended up getting the Trek 1.5 in the end. Some upgrade from my current one. Flying it around the phoenix park these evenings but cant wait to do a bit of running again. Patience is important and even-though I am missing loads of races I planned there is more around the corner.

Yes, I ended up getting the Trek 1.5 in the end. Some upgrade from my current one. .

nice bike. im sure you have already but just in case you havent - get clipless pedals and cycling shoes.
    but cant wait to do a bit of running again. .

I hear ya there. what specific injury is it and how long befor you are back
    Patience is important and even-though I am missing loads of races I planned there is more around the corner.

I seem to be missing all the summer races, same ones i missed last year with injury. feel like i ll never get to run in the sun.

Least when you get back you ll be much better set for a good duathlon after the bike focus.

Tendon damage I am told on the inside of my right lower leg. My right foot pronates! The shin bone gets sore in one spot too which made me think it was some sort of shin splint. April was a stop-start month so I took May off. I was hoping to start back June 1st but wont rush it at this stage. Doing loads of strength & conditioning work too so hopefully when I come back it will pay off.

• Advertisement

Tendon damage I am told on the inside of my right lower leg. My right foot pronates! The shin bone gets sore in one spot too which made me think it was some sort of shin splint. April was a stop-start month so I took May off. I was hoping to start back June 1st but wont rush it at this stage. Doing loads of strength & conditioning work too so hopefully when I come back it will pay off.
    have something similar, except its the outside of my tendon. prob going to take next 3-4 weeks off myself. hope it clears up for you anyway. log your cycling miles sure, its always interesting to look back on these things at the end of the year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement