Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A passion for running and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

7.9miles @ 7:19 pace. just ran over to skerries and back. flew over with the wind behing me. very tough coming back. there was a mile where i felt i was hardly moving and couldnt get a breath with the wind. never realised b4 today that wind is worse than rain, snow etc.

wont get out again now until tuesday evening which is no bad thing given some of the blisters i ve picked up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

decent pace anyways. yeah the wind is a killer. give me rain any day. in fact rain i'd say make no difference to a run maybe even more oxygen in the air with it. but the wind is a total killer. if youre doing the dub mara, look out for it on the 2-3 mile stetch miles 10-13 i think no matter the day always seems to be in your face here. ok i know its a bit early to be talking wind conditions when its 7 months away !! but still. u heard it first here. how accurate if teh footpod thingy? do you have you ran say 100m and measured or ?

decent pace anyways. yeah the wind is a killer. give me rain any day. in fact rain i'd say make no difference to a run maybe even more oxygen in the air with it. but the wind is a total killer. if youre doing the dub mara, look out for it on the 2-3 mile stetch miles 10-13 i think no matter the day always seems to be in your face here. ok i know its a bit early to be talking wind conditions when its 7 months away !! but still. u heard it first here. how accurate if teh footpod thingy? do you have you ran say 100m and measured or ?
    god hopefully it is a nice calm sunnyish day for the DCM this year. absolutely hate the wind after yesterday. was my first really bad experince out running, was doing 4:10 to 4:20 mins per km, then turned around faced into the wind and hill and did a near 5:00 one which involved serious exersion followed by a 4:50. at one point was in serious pain and felt like stopping, glad i didnt.

footpod seems to be accurate from what i can tella altho i havent tested it around a track or self configured it. will prob do this every 4 to 6 months. if its off by a few metres a km or something i wouldnt be over worried anyway

5km after football training last nite around my usual loop. never brought my watch but it was easy enough pace, prob 23 to 24mins. not much to report. diet is going well lately thanks to Lent. feel fit healthy and strong. hopefully get out for 10 to 15km tonight

Not a good week for me running wise. did nearly 60km last week with the girlfriend being on nites and not much else going on. this week i only done 15km - 5km tues, 5km thurs and 5km yesterday. going to get out for a few proper runs this week, feel very guilty!!

• Advertisement

Well its been a full week since i posted and in that time i ve done alot of drinking and eating out and no running - well except for this evening. between the gf's bday last fri, paddys day, a very (unusually) busy week in work last week and this weekend in cork running seems to have got lost. even football did too.

so hadnt football trained or run all last week. last exercise was sun 15th.

went out 2nite and did 5km in 22 mins dead, including a 20second stop to try get my footpod working - dam battery is gone in the pod or at least i hope thats all it is. packed in after 1.5km. thankfully was doing my usual route. watch still working fine so was able to time.

pretty happy for my first run back. prob a little fast and a little short.

by the way does anybody know the best way to get my hands on a battery for a footpod? pee'd off, only bought it a month or so ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Come on man, get your act together! Discipline is the key :)

cfitz wrote: »
    Come on man, get your act together! Discipline is the key :)
    your right, i could tell on my run that i ve lost about two weeks of work, gone backwards in fact. felt really tired in last km cause havent been putting in the work. i ll get back on track tho. really plan to crank into it this week and next. thanks for the encouragement/kick up the backside

didnt make football training due to work commitments, was quite late getting home. went out and did 5km tho. 22.37, took it lot easier than yesterday. no splits as footpod battery not working. plan to do 10km to 13km tonight

you've posted decent training times in the past. would be a shame for u not to give it a lash ( ie no excuses..........taking a week off and blaming it on the mot!!!!......only joking) until you can get a proper timed 10km race or similar run in.

ur training times suggest u could be handy at this mullarkey. and ya ive done the same many a time but as i say ur training times are decent.:

• Advertisement

Yeah i think i need to just get consistency. i just need to be aware of the situation which is:

what seems to happen is she works normal hours for 2 - 3 weeks, in which i run an average amount. she then does a week of nites once a month and i run way more (about 60km for the week). she then has the following week off and i end up seeing her most nites having missed her (dont laugh). So what i ve decided i need to do is run in the morning that week she has off and get the runs in.

thanks for the encouragement, didnt consider i could be any use really until i did that half in training in a good time. not sure my 5km or 10km times are anything to write home about in comparison to some others on here but i guess im only getting going.

I think last week was just one of them bad weeks and i aim to put it well behind me now and train on consistently now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

kennyb3 wrote: »
    she then has the following week off and i end up seeing her most nites having missed her (dont laugh).

Awh. That has to be the sweetest thing said in any of the training logs!

ha ha i knew i shouldnt of wrote it. also lets hope she doesnt ever read it or she ll be onto me!! id say i ve made a few stomachs turn with that comment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

ha ha i knew i shouldnt of wrote it. also lets hope she doesnt ever read it or she ll be onto me!! id say i ve made a few stomachs turn with that comment
    ah thats class, You have to wonder how many of our OH's actually read stuff here.. mmm scary..

she then has the following week off and i end up seeing her most nites having missed her (dont laugh).

awwwww mannnnn ! (looks for sick bag !)

are u sure you're up to keeping a training log ?

u could always keep a 'mot' log instead. I feel like i know more about her movements than yours.:p

im going for a run the minute i get home so as the other stuff is quickly forgotten. this is a training log, km and miles are all that will be discussed.

over and out

went out to do 10km in a reasonably decent time (46mins would of been fine as previous pb was 45:21).

basically i went out slightly faster than planned and got around the first 5km in 22:40. km 4 to 5 was quite tough as its mainly uphill and i was wondering how much id struggle on second 5km's. after a little breather courtesy of a nice downhill for 300 - 400m and an eay 6th km, i just decided to push on.

there was a particular reason for this - i really needed to use a loo. horrible feeling!! anyway flew the last km or so as was in a bad way - its amazing what the need to go will do to you. was very uncomfortable holding on.

anyway basically im well happy after that and can see myself going 44:30 or so in not too long. think the last time i did my 10km pb i ran splits close to 23:00 and 22:20 or something like that (i must look back), so id have to say going out that bit faster really helped.i tink im reasonably good at keeping up a good pace of around 4:30 to 4:40 after.

prob do a long run friday nite.

summary: 6.2 miles @ 7.14 pace

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sounds like time to sign up for a race!

yeah i really want to and keep saying i will but the big proble is football on a sunday getting in the way. was hoping i wouldnt have any so i could do the 5km in malahide which is nt too far from me (im in balbriggan) but no such luck. it may be the end of may before i get to race - its very frustrating but at least i ll be ready when it comes around

oh and fair play on the LSR marathon you did, id say your friend was chuffed with his time and delighted with your help

went out to do 10km in a reasonably decent time (46mins would of been fine as previous pb was 45:21).

basically i went out slightly faster than planned and got around the first 5km in 22:40. km 4 to 5 was quite tough as its mainly uphill and i was wondering how much id struggle on second 5km's. after a little breather courtesy of a nice downhill for 300 - 400m and an eay 6th km, i just decided to push on.

there was a particular reason for this - i really needed to use a loo. horrible feeling!! anyway flew the last km or so as was in a bad way - its amazing what the need to go will do to you. was very uncomfortable holding on.

anyway basically im well happy after that and can see myself going 44:30 or so in not too long. think the last time i did my 10km pb i ran splits close to 23:00 and 22:20 or something like that (i must look back), so id have to say going out that bit faster really helped.i tink im reasonably good at keeping up a good pace of around 4:30 to 4:40 after.

prob do a long run friday nite.

summary: 6.2 miles @ 7.14 pace

thats a good run keep it up. and not even a mention of herself !

• Advertisement

thanks. how are you getting on yourself? when you starting a log?

ah so so. went for a run this am 6am. 3.5 miles but felt tough and for me slow about 8:37 mile. dunno, if its just the early start but found it v tough. have done a 35.5 min for a 8km last year my best but that seems unachievable at least in the near term. did half mara last week 1:56 dead.training.

yeah i really want to and keep saying i will but the big proble is football on a sunday getting in the way. was hoping i wouldnt have any so i could do the 5km in malahide which is nt too far from me (im in balbriggan) but no such luck.
    There's a 10k at the start of May in Phoenix Park. Sounds like it would be right up your street (no literally, obviously, living in Balbriggan!). It's also on Bank Holiday Monday, so shouldn't interfere with your football. Link

ah so so. went for a run this am 6am. 3.5 miles but felt tough and for me slow about 8:37 mile. dunno, if its just the early start but found it v tough. have done a 35.5 min for a 8km last year my best but that seems unachievable at least in the near term. did half mara last week 1:56 dead.training.
    i did one early morning run a good few weeks back, think i woke up at about kilometer 3. not sure they are for me either. how many times a week you run? fair play on doing the half in training, i know when i did my one and only one i found it tough. what are your plans for the year? also get a log going!!

There's a 10k at the start of May in Phoenix Park. Sounds like it would be right up your street (no literally, obviously, living in Balbriggan!). It's also on Bank Holiday Monday, so shouldn't interfere with your football. Link
    sounds great. thanks a million for that, im going to sign up. signed up for the DCM today too just to make it official.

sounds great. thanks a million for that, im going to sign up. signed up for the DCM today too just to make it official.
    Think I'll be going myself, as a tune-up race for Edinburgh. Congrats on signing up for DCM. You're committed now!

Think I'll be going myself, as a tune-up race for Edinburgh. Congrats on signing up for DCM. You're committed now!
    cool, hopefully i ll meet yourself and perhaps a few other boardies there. how do you feel your set for edinburgh? i ve been keeping an eye on your log. few days off now and then what?

Not many days off for me, unfortunately! 11 Miles tomorrow, 7 miles with strides on Saturday, and 13 miles on Sunday. This is supposed to be a recovery week in my 24 week marathon schedule?! Might skip tomorrow's run though, if the legs feel tired from last weekend. No sense in over-doing it. Have 55 miles the following week, so want to be ready for that, but the next 4-5 weeks are the most difficult on the marathon schedule.

On the race calendar, Wexford Half in April, 10k in May, and marathon in Edinburgh at the end of May, and am considering doing the IMRA trail race, but that might be just a race too far!

5km pre football training. did it nice and slow in just under 25 mins - used it as a nice long warm up jog. wanted to keep energy for training

• Advertisement

13km's (8 miles) this evening. my first ever sub one hour 8 miles. done in 59:44. splits as follows in kms

4:34, 4:31, 4:38, 4:30, 4:29 (22:42)

4:36, 4,48, 4:48, 4:43, 4:32 (23:27 - alot against the wind)

(10km in 46:09)

4:37, 4:34, 4:24

Really enjoyed this run altho it was very hard against the wind at times. think i did a similar one when i first started and did 1:05 for 13.34 km's so delighted with the improvement.

also delighted as at the start of this week i d done nothing for a week or so and struggled in the last km or so of my first 5km back (prob ran too fast tho)

run summary: 8 miles @ 7:30 pace

miles this week : approx 23.75 (38kms)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement