Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A passion for running and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

25th May - pm

22k @ 28 km/ph

traffic was woeful coming out of drumcondra, managed to get stuck at every red light. but the middle 6-8k were good fun as me and another guy had a good old commuter race. he turned off at boroimhe in swords and i just coasted home

26th May - am

26k @ 28 km/ph

legs were tired this morning (3 days in row will do that) and battling a headwind was not fun.

hit a big pothole coming down mobhi road - blew out and buckled my rim. changed tube but it went flat fairly quickly - maybe pinched it, maybe wheel fooked. prob get a lift home if cant find a bike shop nearby before lunch.

ah well.

Cycling YTD: 763 km

29th May

96k with the club.

was hoping the rain would clear up as we went around but was like a drowned rat.

only 3 showed with the weather and the ras (few talking about cycling to wicklow gap to watch) and we picked up 2 more along the way.

it was hard work with the driving rain, winds and lack of up and overs. i did a good bit of work for first half, but we picked up another stronger guy and himself and another guy really towed us around after that. really enjoyed the extra chance to chat to some of the guys

glad to get home tho. went and watch the oh run the malahide 5k on way home - she ran 24.30 and was delighted.

will go watch the ras tomorrow

Cycling YTD: 859 km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

fair play oh. if im not wrong she has improved no end.thats a decent time for 5km.

fair play oh. if im not wrong she has improved no end.thats a decent time for 5km.

Yeah she has gone from running 2k in 18mins and being wasted to that. She ran the raheny 5 at end of april in 44.40 or so and i reckon she'd be close to 40 now.

Its obviously her coach's influence:D

29th May

42k @ 30km/ph.

Feel much stronger on the bike lately and think im near ready to start racing in the club league - if only id done some winter training tho.

Got in a quick spin straight after work before going out for dinner.

Raised my saddle back to where it should be (had lowered it with due to neck pain) and it seemed grand.

Covered the first 10miles in 29.30 (or 32.7km/ph), which was good, wind assisted tho but i was taking it easy enough and that included negotiating traffic in malahide.

Then climbed the nags head, got a new odometer the other day (cat eye) so was able to time it - 6mins 50secs from cottage at start to house on left at the top. Prob not amazing but better than anything i ve done before.

Then descended back the way i came and home against an almighty head wind. Pace didnt drop too much which was good.

All in all very happy.

Meet Macanri now tonight for couple of climbs of howth, have to admit my legs are shagged today. I ll suffer later no doubt.

Cycling YTD: 901 km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

No worries - my legs are sore today also after a long tempo run last night. So easy spin ahead!

Macanri wrote: »
    No worries - my legs are sore today also after a long tempo run last night. So easy spin ahead!
    im kind of glad to hear that, i really need to get use to doing 2 hard days in row. my thighs feel shredded. sure we ll take a gentle spin along the coast for a chat first, cause i wont be able to hold no conversation going up that hill. should be a cracker later after the rain last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

A lot of good cycling going on there kennyb - hopefully the achilles will clear up soon enough and then we can get you back out running again. Maybe the kennyb3 -v- DustyBin rematch could be a duathlon ?:p?

Only messing with ya - fair play on the bike and good luck with the recovery

DustyBin wrote: »
    A lot of good cycling going on there kennyb - hopefully the achilles will clear up soon enough and then we can get you back out running again.

Thanks. The leg isnt clearing up at all really, jogged 50 yards into a shop the other day and was stiff next day so something seriously not right. forgetting about the running now for 2-3 months and going to focus on cycling for the summer (which i ll prob do most summers now, its hard to cycle properly in the winter so i ll prob go back to running then, keep the cycling ticking over at same time and when summer comes around next year focus on cycling again.) I ve already spent a few bob on physios so just a good long rest might do the trick. it doesnt bother me at all cycling anyway.
    DustyBin wrote: »
    Maybe the kennyb3 -v- DustyBin rematch could be a duathlon ?:p?

Only messing with ya - fair play on the bike and good luck with the recovery

That would be fun actually. might be sept/oct tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

kennyb3 wrote: »

That would be fun actually. might be sept/oct tho

3 rock tri club had a duathlon in April & Sept 2009, they've done the April one this year so presume that they'll do Sept again in 2010?

I did it in Sept '09, nice run on the old N11 north of Ashford, bike on the dual carriage way up to Newtownmountkennedy junction and back, run on old N11. Run & bike on out & back courses.
    The run was slightly short at 4.8k I think, and the second run was shorter than the first one, but a well organised day, with great marshalling throughout.

Let me know what you reckon closer to the day.

• Advertisement

1st June

40k @ 29.5km/ph. (approx as knocked speedo towards end fixing puncture)

Met Macanri at the bottom of the howth hill (long side), had a little chat and off we headed. he pushes a bigger gear than me and off he flew and already i was thinking, why am i doing this after last nights effort. but sure i was grand and we rode up together, me spinning him mashing. got to the top and nice quick decent.

off up to sutton and into clontarf. unfortunately i rolled over big load of glass and got a slow puncture and had to stop about 10k down the line.

we had a good chat and it was nice to have some company. great evening for it too.

along clontarf 2 guys passed us which i was having none of so i rode up to the back of their wheels, got myself together and pushed on to the front and gave it socks. macanri followed through and then took over. looked back few minutes later and we d dropped the other 2 lads.

had to pull up shortly after as i got a bit of cramp, defo not use to 2 hard efforts in two nights - both with decent climbs.

finished up coming up the malahide road were i had to stop with teh flat - pain in the ass - 3rd one in the week, may be to do with the rim or maybe just bad luck.

got home grand, was glad to be home, was gradually losing bit of power over last 10k after previous night.

all in all a good spin, good company and good weather. I think macanri underestimates himself as a cyclist.

Must get myself a set of clip on tri bars, they look fun.

Cycling YTD: 941 km

2nd & 3rd June

Took a rest day yesterday which was planned, and god was it needed - legs were tired but more importantly i havent been sleeping well and had a bit of a cold.

So after good night sleep last night the cold is nearly gone. going to take today off too, and just to some stretches, core work and weights.

might commute tomorrow but very easy - have 2 long days sat and sun planned circa 90k sat with club and then club sportive sun morning circa 150k. hoping to get out for both at this stage but herself might have other ideas.

Got my core work, stretches and weights done last night which was good. The not so good was eating a lump of madeira cake after watching dr. house with the gf.

4th June - am

18k @ 29.5km/ph.

felt fresh after rest last 2 days which was nice.

Cycling YTD: 959 km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi kennyb, sorry to hear the injury is still causing you trouble.
    As regards the cycling, would you be able to suggest any reading material for a newbie that wants to learn more. I was reading you had 3 punctures, I've yet to have one but I'd be fceked if I got one, would probably end up having to walk home. Also you mentioned your partner was pushing a different gear but that you were spinning, would be nice to know what this means and about different workouts. Do not expect you to give me a blow by blow but a good book recommendation would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Woddle wrote: »
    Hi kennyb, sorry to hear the injury is still causing you trouble.

Hi woddle, thanks.
    As regards the cycling, would you be able to suggest any reading material for a newbie that wants to learn more.

The cycling forum is my main source of information, if want to know anything i just ask or type whatever it is into search as its prob being asked before. I ve yet to buy a cycling book myself
    I was reading you had 3 punctures, I've yet to have one but I'd be fceked if I got one, would probably end up having to walk home.

I learnt from videos such as this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tm1wewekVQ&feature=related, there are loads - you tube is your friend. sheldon brown and park tool are 2 good websites only. try it before you get your first puncture and do it couple of times so your not stuck on side of the road for 45mins doing it.
    Also you mentioned your partner was pushing a different gear but that you were spinning, would be nice to know what this means and about different workouts. Do not expect you to give me a blow by blow but a good book recommendation would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Spinning - turning over legs quickly on easy gear (me)

mashing/grinding - slower revolutions on harder gear. (Macanri)

Its a personal preference, you ll find whats right for you naturally by just riding. just keep changing around your gears and see what feels right and fast.

Other main thing is bike set up - most importantly saddle - high enough so your extending your knee but not stretching and definitely not rocking your hips.

If you ve any other questions just fire away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Big help, thanks kennyb, I actually changed my saddle position based on what you said to Peckham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Do not expect you to give me a blow but would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    fook sake woddle......

4th June - pm

22k @ 31.5km/ph.

nice spin home, did 13k in the middle flat out (except for traffic), tiring wind against me coming down the estuary.

Cycling YTD: 981 km

5th June

82k @ 30.1 km/ph.

Great spin with the club. Seemed like there was going to be only a few from the start (was thinking lads saving themselves for club sportife) but we picked up loads going around.

pace was very up and down - which is what i love about these spins, you're not just going flat out to get highest average speed. it was very slack at times and others it got very racey. you d easily know there was no race this weekend. the big sprint started at the back of the airport and we were hitting 50 - 55km/ph. i got into the 2nd of 3 groups here and we rode across as a group to the first group who made the attack. all very enjoyable.

did 3 turns on the front on way round, including somehow managing to end up on the front for the 3 sisters (naievity). few lads said they were quite impressed with how i could ride after only few weeks down with them and they were encouraging me to try the club league races.

so i ll prob start wednes week. fully expect to get dropped firstfew weeks but hopefully i ll find my racing legs after that.

great morning for it and happy with the way the cycling is going.

Cycling YTD: 1063 km

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Thats great Kenny. That sounds a lot like the Sat spin I used to do with them. It is a good spin with a bit of pace thrown in. It is 6 weeks since I meant to start doing the club races. but I couldn't find the bloody sign on place!! Well I am doing my first race Weds night this week and really looking forward to it! Hopefully I will find the sign on spot this time!

• Advertisement

7th June

42k @ 32 km/ph.

nice fast flat spin by myself this morning. delighted with the average speed. there not being much wind made a good difference.

202k last week (sat to sunday), and 334km in last 10 days

Cycling YTD: 1105 km

9th June

up early this morning and did some work up howth. missed last night with work and house duties.

32k @ 27.2 km/ph.

this was all about the hills. went up howth from the the sutton side first then down into the village. then i discovered the steep climb id been told about. up to the church and right and boy does it ramp up. got 2/3rds of the way up then had to stop. heart was racing and i wore way too much gear, i was sweating like mad. quick drink and breather and off i went again.

continued on up and then came out at the pub.

legs were fecked now so just took it easy coming home. best part was passing some guy who then overtook me before i sat in and then exploded by him and lost him completely. bit like a commuter race really.

defo want to lose bit more weight for the hills

Cycling YTD: 1137 km

10th June

60k @ 28 km/ph.

Day off work so took advantage.

cycled out the back of swords to ballyboughal, up the hill at hollywood lake GC, into naul and through, over another decent hill and then into the back of stamullen, then into balbriggan via some minor hills at balscadden. Dropped into parents house, found flat tire changed it and then home along the N1.

nice sunny afternoon for it. wind on the way out was a killer.

legs tired this morning.

Cycling YTD: 1197 km

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

You are flying up that cycle table.. good stuff! Long before you can run again?

You are flying up that cycle table.. good stuff! Long before you can run again?
    Thanks. Probably the end of the summer to be honest. very niggly injury. pain in the ass really.

Spent this evening playing around with the bike. Changed both tyres over to conti GP4000 S 's and a few laps of the estate and notice a big difference already. the schwalbe blizzard sport ones i had on wore very quickly and werent great.

also took off mini pump holder and put on 2nd bottle cage and swapped other one over so i ve two matching ones.

purchased some co2 and an inflator earlier too as mini pumps are next to useless (or else i've puny arms).

looking forward to spin tomorrow now. chilled out now with world cup and pizza in the oven - sweet

12th June Club Spin

84k @ 30.2 km/ph which included 68k @ 31.4km/ph with the group.

Nice morning for it again. Relatively quick spin given the wind, plenty of time over 40km/ph at back of airport which is good for the legs. got a double puncture half way round due to huge pot hole, another lad punctured on it too. roads are in a mess. only saw it at last second. lads gave me a hand so only held us up for 5mins.

dying with hayfever now. plan is to chill out and watch as much world cup as possible - in my element!

Cycling YTD: 1281 km

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

It's a great Sat morning group spin that Kenny. I hope to be back doing it myself from mid July on and looking forward to it. Got a double puncture one morning with them myself in Feb. Enjoy the WC....watching it right now myself!

It's a great Sat morning group spin that Kenny. I hope to be back doing it myself from mid July on and looking forward to it. Got a double puncture one morning with them myself in Feb. Enjoy the WC....watching it right now myself!
    Thanks EL D let me know when your coming down, i ll be sure to introduce myself. hopefully the 3 o clock match will be better, no really good matches yet.

• Advertisement

14th June

42k @ 30 km/ph.

down over howth and around by fairview and home the malahide road on my own. decent spin and speed given the climb, lights etc.

measured the climb over howth as 2.6miles and covered it in 10.40, not exactly fast i wasnt flat out. need to get down near 9 mins tho (some lads can do it in near 7 mins - how i do not know!)

back was quite sore at the end, not sure why.

Cycling YTD: 1323 km

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement