Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A passion for running and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Hope to do the Sportive too man so I might see you there. Well done a solid years cycling so far!
    Cool, hope to see you there.

August 28th

Took a few days off as wasnt well. Gave the club spin a miss this morning as wouldnt of been up to it and fancied a lie in.

Just a nice steady ride with the ipod in one ear.

41k @ 29.5km/ph

Cycling YTD: 2538 km

August 29th

Fartlek of sorts - 6 x 15mins 5 a side matches. Got roped into playing a charity 5 a side tournie in tallaght. made the semi's but got whupped there.

Stiff and sore today, walking around like an old man.

30th August

Tried a run but quads were just too sore and tight, i made it 600m before turning back

31st August

Handy 9k in 47mins, first 2k were with the OH before i sped up abit, although not much.

Running YTD: 389.2 miles / 68 runs (2 races)

1st Sept

7miles/11.2km in 53 and half minutes around malahide castle. Felt harder than it should be but think it will be easier the next day now thats done. If it was that much effort every day i wouldnt enjoy running - thankfully that horrible yuck feeling tends to last less than a week before the breathing comes right.

Running YTD: 396.2 miles / 69 runs (2 races)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

yeah. couple of weeks and you wont know yourself.

In line with my wind down few weeks before i crank the running back up, only did one run and lots of enjoying myself. Thurs nitght was meeting friends and few pints, fri and sat were spent down on the shannon cruising between shannonbridge and glassen. Plenty of drinks each night and the nicest steak i ve had to date on the saturday night - absolutely savage feed. Now back to running..

5th Sept

10k in 48 mins, steady all the way with 2 tempo km's (approx 4.20p/km) thrown in just to losen up the legs. wet and windy but enjoyable.

Will be running most days now, just easing back into it. will still try make club cycling spins on a saturday but thats about it for the time being.

Running YTD: 402.4 miles / 70 runs (2 races)

c,mon kennyB. before you return to your true love ;)
    are you going to set out for a sub 40 10km . ?

i know in the past every time you were just getting going you got injured and didnt have much luck in that regard.
    on the other hand, if im not mistaken you achieved sub 20 first 5km race.

c,mon kennyB. before you return to your true love ;)
    are you going to set out for a sub 40 10km . ?

i know in the past every time you were just getting going you got injured and didnt have much luck in that regard.
    on the other hand, if im not mistaken you achieved sub 20 first 5km race.

Yeah 19.40 in first 5k race May 2009. I'm going to aim to smash sub 40 just before xmas or not long after it, i havent picked a target race as dont want to get ahead of myself.

I dont think it should be a major problem though as when i looked back on my log i realised i did 6 weeks of decent training after being very sick around the new year and ran 40.22 in mid feb, so shows what i can do if i go about it right.

As you say injuries have always been my big problem, namely my left achilles. In my heart of hearts i know it is always going to be a problem and i think about it every time i run no matter how hard i try not to. However this time i plan to take a alightly different approach in the hope it works:

Little or no track work. Short fast intervals on hard tracks are what brings it on. This combined with too many hard days together. When my left calf is tight I ll take the day off or do a very easy recovery run.

I plan to run longer but slower, I read over Misty's log again from start to finish and think his style might suit myself so i think i ll be using it as an inspiration. More running on grass too.

So plan is start at 20 miles a week build to 35 - 40 miles a week. One long run and one tempo, everything else easy.

I ll just have to manage the achilles and the plan is not to miss 2months+ at any time. Might need to give it a couple of days rest here and there but i have to be a big boy now and accept that rather than trying to push through it.

Anyway there's the plan i ve been hatching out in the open now.

long term plan do try sub 40 myself.
    but by christmas i would be hoping to be close to sub 42. maybe the fields of athenry on st stephens day? might be a target race for that.

i suppose whatever cycling you keep up over the winter will def help your cardio. and help take some pressure off the achilles.

• Advertisement

long term plan do try sub 40 myself.
    but by christmas i would be hoping to be close to sub 42. maybe the fields of athenry on st stephens day? might be a target race for that.

With a structured plan you should have no problems breaking 40. You ve a good base. Have a look back to my log from Jan to mid Feb this year. 10+mile weekend runs and a couple of 400m interval sessions and you d get there no problem. It's not half as difficult as you might think. If you can get speed into your legs to run 19mins for 5k backed up by decent mileage it i ll be no bother.

Best of luck with it anyway - just dont beat me to it.
    i suppose whatever cycling you keep up over the winter will def help your cardio. and help take some pressure off the achilles.

The cycling should keep the weight down and mean that i get a break from running. Also by doing a bit till mid feb when the weather picks up i ll have alot better base for it than i did this year. No reason i cant combine both.

6th Sept

Followed up yesterdays run with 5 miles easy today - 39.20.

Bloody wet and windy but glad to get out.

Running YTD: 407.4 miles / 71 runs (2 races)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

The cycling really helps with the running, doesn't it?

ULstudent wrote: »
    The cycling really helps with the running, doesn't it?
    With the right mix yeah. For me the main thing it does is stop me getting over fixiated with running. its nice to mix it up. plus it keeps me lighter. cycling is hard to keep up over the winter tho esp with days and nights like that today

8th Sept

10miles in 77mins (4.48p/ph av) longest run in a long time. very enjoyable. good patches and bad patches but went better than i thought it might. Finished off with a 4.15 last km to stretch the legs out a bit.

21miles so far this week, take it easy tomorrow and fri and do a decent run sat morning

Running YTD: 417.4 miles / 71 runs (2 races)

good decent training run. dont want to put the kibosh on it but hows the achilles? just wondering do you think cycling helps strengthen the achilles area or maybe it has no affect in this way?

good decent training run. dont want to put the kibosh on it but hows the achilles? just wondering do you think cycling helps strengthen the achilles area or maybe it has no affect in this way?

Achilles is fine - 100% at the minute, always in my head when i run but its grand. woke up this morning and no problem at all so happy after that.

Everything I do from here on will be based with it in mind and managing it so that it doesnt come back as a 2/3 month problem again - i.e not running when its stiff or when my calfs are sore (which is exactly what i did in April/May 0 I ran 44min 10k in training incl. v steep hill on already sore calf - im a retard), more running on grass (last night was 50% grass), less speed work, run longer rather than faster and any speed sessions - prob only once every two weeks will be fully on grass and so on.

Cycling doesnt seem to have made a difference either way to it, not that i ve noticed anyway. It has helped my weight which is now just over 11stone and i seem to have better lungs. Plus its good to have a break, try different sports and so on.

Im hoping to run the dublin half now but just with the aim of sub 1.40 which should be handy enough.

When are you targetting a 10k?

i have in mind the fields of athenry 10km on st stephen's day. always a good race. its certified distance and chip timed as far as i rem? and a good turn out >800 so thats the next main atrget race.
    (in the mean time if anyone knows of a 'downhill all the way 10km' let me know.:D)

when/where is the half on?

i have in mind the fields of athenry 10km on st stephen's day. always a good race. its certified distance and chip timed as far as i rem? and a good turn out >800 so thats the next main atrget race.
    (in the mean time if anyone knows of a 'downhill all the way 10km' let me know.:D)

when/where is the half on?
    Fair play to you, id be too stuffed after all the turkey to race myself. dublin half marathon in the pheonix park, sat week. did it last year and did 1.34, was in sub 1.30 form pre injury but now just going to run sub 1.40 which should be handy enough. Wont be going mad racing, i ll prob just enjoy it. Its paid for so may as well do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

yeah i personally don't think the bike has any effect on the achilles strength wise etc too. It kept me sane during my episode of tendonosis and now that im back to short runs i have found cycling has had a knock on effect and running at the paces i am now is much much easier than before xmas.

Still always plays in the head though. ****er injury for knocking the confidence.

• Advertisement

ULstudent wrote: »
    It kept me sane during my episode of tendonosis

I hear you there big time

9th Sept

8k @ 4.50 p/km.

2 middle km done in 4.15 and 4.23 as bit of a tempo. rest nice and easy.

26miles now for the week, should hit 35 for the week on sat which would be great.

Running YTD: 422.4 miles / 72 runs (2 races)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Well kb,

Good to see the running going well for you. You're dead right with the above posts and doing the training the way that suits you. The best of luck with it.

Macanri wrote: »
    Well kb,

Good to see the running going well for you. You're dead right with the above posts and doing the training the way that suits you. The best of luck with it.
    Cheers mac, its taken me a while to learn but im hoping by changing a few things i ll get it right eventually. hopefully i dont lapse!

42.09 for this (42.06 per my watch). Was very happy about this given the fact i ve only started training again since last sunday (i'm a nutter i know). Even more delighted now having read others comments re the wind (which was horrific). My PB is 40.22, so not a million miles away after 5 months off running and just focusing on the cycling.

Decided to do this as legs felt good yesterday (took that as a rest day), and just to put some decent pace back into the legs. what better workout than a race?

Managed to go to the wrong GAA grounds - had a nice wander around ballyboden st enda's wondering where everyone was for a bit. after i copped on and took a little tour i got there still with loads of time. 3k warm up in the rain showers and off we went

1st k too quick but thats how i like to start, then settled into it, the bit up the slope into the wind the first time wasnt too bad i took some sheltered and noticed the slope more than the wind. around 4k i knew the second half was going to be tough for me given my lack of mileage. I prob did the first half too quick (20.20 for 5k). 6k downhill and grand.

Then came the pain - 2nd time around the wind was blowing a serious gale up that slope and the pace slowed significantly. The field thinned out and it was hard to get much shelter. couple of times i was in no mans land. I knew if was proper fit this is where i would of picked up loads here but instead i was happy to just keep it steady and not blow up totally like a guy beside me who ended up walking. seen a couple of people step out too. The run from 6k to 8k was torture, no shelter and i felt like i was going to puke and bit dizzy at one stage. knew that when we turned left to go back down it would all be okay and thankfully it was.

Last 2k mainly consisted of getting home and looking after the achilles (i knew if i was going to feel it it would be when i was tired). I didnt chase people down, didnt speed up, didnt sprint over the line just kept it nice and steady. I guess i didnt really race the second half of the race really but not sure i would of been able to really.

Anyway i d done alot of what i wanted to do in first half and was happy just to get back injury free.

Splits were:

4.32 (spot the wind + dying)

Obviously i need miles, but i cant wait to go sub 40. The mysport 10k course was infinitely more hilly and i ran 40.22, even with todays wind if id been in that shape id have been well under that. All ifs and buts i know but just think on less windy day today and racing 2nd half a bit more i could of run 41 with basically no training. Hopefully stay injury free and get a good base now and just nail the sub 40 as its been a target then push on.

So plan is now to take it easy all week and do the half marathon next week and see how it goes. will have to start gently anyway to last out.

Met Krusty after briefly who was in good form after his pb.

Legs and achilles feel grand so mission accomplished. Happy:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Good running today well done.

shels4ever wrote: »
    Good running today well done.
    Thanks you too, think i spotted you after but wasnt certain so didnt get a chance to say hi.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done again Kenny. Great to be able to hit a time like that on the back of little training. Time to start thinking about hitting that pb, particularly if the achilles is holding up.

ah feckya , you go and do a 42.xx off little or no running.

fair play. keep it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Well done kb, thats a great time off little run training. You will demolish that with a good few weeks running and a little less wind:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement