Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A passion for running and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Sunday: 5miles easy
    Monday: 6 miles easy
    Tuesday: Rest
    Wednesday: 10 miles easy
    Thursday: 5 miles easy with 2km tempo
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: 8 miles incl 10k race

Weekly total: 34miles

Running YTD: 430.4 miles / 73 runs (3 races)

13th Sept

6.2 miles easy in 49 mins. took yesterday off to look after the calves and achilles and took it easy tonight for same reason.

Running YTD: 436.6 miles / 73 runs (3 races)

14th Sept

I must be getting wise in my old age, took a 2nd rest day yesterday. realised after the run on monday that it was much harder than it should of been and i was wrecked after so a rest was in order.

15th Sept

11k in 51.35 (4.41 p/km). Included 4 tempo km's at various stages. Legs felt better after than before i went.

Running YTD: 443.4 miles / 74 runs (3 races)

16th Sept

8k in 36.30 (4.35 p/km). Too fast 2 days before a half marathon, but just kept with it as i was running easy and its the first time i ve felt good since i got back so i just went with it for confidence more than anything.

Anyway the half marathon hasnt exactly been a long term goal - decided last week to do it - and i wont be breaking the 1.34 i did last year, so where i want to be in 6weeks or 6months is more important.

So whats the plan for saturday? Well doing a half marathon off 2 weeks training should be an interesting experiment to say the least. Plan is to run sub 1.40, so prob first 10k in 46 -47 mins, assess whether i need to slow up or can speed up and take it from there. i know i ll suffer towards the end either way. Legs should be grand as its more the speedy stuff that causes my problems.

Anyway looking forward to it.

Running YTD: 448.4 miles / 75 runs (3 races)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

All the best for tomorrow.

I reckon your def on for sub 1:40 given the 1-k you lashed out last weekend. I trotted your time into Macmillan there and he says 1:33:47. Then again he doesn't take into consideration that you've only been back a fortnight but your cycling would have no doubt kept the run fitness up there so i think under 1:40 is a nice solid green goal to go for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

hope youre not expecting too much for 13.1 miles off so little training. partic the last 3 or 4 miles. hope it goes well. maybe take the first 3 or 4 miles real easy?

ULstudent wrote: »
    All the best for tomorrow.

I reckon your def on for sub 1:40 given the 1-k you lashed out last weekend. I trotted your time into Macmillan there and he says 1:33:47. Then again he doesn't take into consideration that you've only been back a fortnight but your cycling would have no doubt kept the run fitness up there so i think under 1:40 is a nice solid green goal to go for.

Yeah 1.33 if i had any sort of stamina, but to be honest even the 2nd half of the 10k i found tough as i was essentially running too fast. I was in sub 1.30 shape before i got injured though so thats why hopefully 1.40 should be okay.
    hope youre not expecting too much for 13.1 miles off so little training. partic the last 3 or 4 miles. hope it goes well. maybe take the first 3 or 4 miles real easy?

Yeah i ll take the first 10k easy enough, i did the same last year as 13.1 miles is a long way and i think thats the way to go for longer races. Hopefully my target aint too optimistic but i ve always had good endurance and found it easy to maintain 4.45 p/km pace. I did 1.39 in a training run last year after only 10 weeks running - although 10 weeks is alot more than 2 (5times more:().

Anyway it will be interesting to see what can be achieved off 2 weeks training. I just hope i dont suffer too much late on. Im very stubborn, or so the GF tells me, so that should help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Hey good luck in the half Kenny, I'm looking forward to see how you get on. Take it easy first half. Enjoy.

Hey good luck in the half Kenny, I'm looking forward to see how you get on. Take it easy first half. Enjoy.
    Cheers misty, best of luck yourself and dont be putting too much pressure on it after being on a stag last weekend.

1.32:46 for me. PB on last year by 1 min 34 secs - not bad off 2 weeks training. Actually started behind 1.40 pacers but was gone past them within a k. Will have to look at splits but i ran too slow early but was flying from mid way. didnt even feel too bad afterwards - was in cruise control most of the way around. bit shocked by it all really. Only slept 2 hrs the night before too and even considered giving it a miss.

Happy:)

Will do up a full report tomorrow and stick in some splits.

• Advertisement

fcuking hell - internet high five!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Nice going kennyb, that's a fast time with training, faster without ;)

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Will do up a full report tomorrow and stick in some splits.

Looking forward to that Kenny. Well done mate, thats excellent.

hi√25 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

Excellent stuff Kenny! That´s a great time off that training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

nice one kennyb3, well done sham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

holy shmoly.:eek:. you could be good at this mullarkey yet.

delighted for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

well done , solid preformance especially since the odds were against ya from the bad nights sleep and the injury

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Great going, congrats on the new PB. Goes to show how the bike fitness comes into effect. Well Done.

Cheers dude, hope the duathlon went well for ya
    DustyBin wrote: »
    Nice going kennyb, that's a fast time with training, faster without ;)

ha ha i might have to see what i can do next year off one weeks training. when are we going both going to be breaking 40 for 10k?
    Looking forward to that Kenny. Well done mate, thats excellent.

hi√25 :o

Thanks, seen you had a fantastic day too. fair play to the gf too. did she enjoy it?
    Excellent stuff Kenny! That´s a great time off that training.

And i see you had a great day yourself. fair play
    showry wrote: »
    nice one kennyb3, well done sham

Cheers showry, the bike helped lighten me up a bit which was a help
    holy shmoly.:eek:. you could be good at this mullarkey yet.

delighted for ya.

Again thanks, ah yeah if only the body would hold up for 6 months staright then we could see what i was made of
    Seres wrote: »
    well done , solid preformance especially since the odds were against ya from the bad nights sleep and the injury

Yeah was worried about both so as i say a bit shocked. hope your own injury woes clear up. anything pencilled in to make up for yesterday. waterford?
    Macanri wrote: »
    Great going, congrats on the new PB. Goes to show how the bike fitness comes into effect. Well Done.

Cheers, yeah the aerobic capacity seems to have improved as i certainly dont have the running done to feel that comfortable or to have any right to run that time. I was a bit skeptical as to much much would translate but i ve changed my mind now

Im probably a bit mental for trying this after only 2 weeks back but sure there you go, didnt expect anything like what happened. The whole thing was made worse though by only 2 hours sleep on friday night for family reasons - only slept from half 5 to half 7, alarm went off and seriously considered rolling over and giving it a miss. Anyway somehow made it out of bed, had breakfast and loads of caffine and made it to the park for 9. Met Gerard and Peckham briefly before the race.

Was still trying to decide tactics right up to the off. Decided id try get to 10k in 45 and see where i stood. i would of been happy with anything under 1.40 and hoped for 1.37 or so. Started well behind the 1.40 pacers as i like passing people and having targets.

Splits are below, and given my finishing time i think they show i might have started bit slow - easy to say that now but with 2 weeks training, feeling fecked on 2nd half of 10k race last week i wasnt to know. In fact for first 5k i was worried i might be going too fast (i felt great but just for later in the race).

Around 8k i realised i was running with the handbrake on and in cruise control, so i upped it a bit, then picked it up more. Breathing was effortless but just kept it around that as fear a crash and burn situation. It never materialised and although i was over the moon after and totally stunned i cant help but question whether i was hard enough on myself.

Nice negative split too which Im happy with on that course. Kind of backs up i might of started bit slow as its too much of a negative split for my liking. The 4.32 km (see splits below) was the kyber and i think this was lack of concentration and holding back in fear.

I think the main reason im so happy is not the time more how easy it felt all the way (bar maybe that last hill), I really was cantering along. Plenty of chats had and wasnt panting anything like some of those around me. I think the fact that the last km was my fastest by far shows how grand i was. Given how unbelievably crap i felt during 2nd half of last weeks race it was a huge improvement - especially as i ran 10-15km and 16-20km at around the same pace as that second half last week. amazing really.

Still scrathing my head as to how i beat last years time by nearly 2mins - i ve only done one run over 6 miles ( a ten miler) since april. Cycling seems to have helped alot im lighter and my LT seems to have increased significantly. I started at 4.30p/km as i thought thats where it might be but its somewhere around 4.15p/km.

Anyway i ll have to get some training done and go sub 90. Would really like to get 6 months injury free training done and see what i can really do running wise.

Have to say this was my favourite race last year and is again. I really love it the atmosphere, the crowds, the having loads of targets.

Splits:

4.30, 4.33, 4.34, 4.22, 4.24 (22.23)
    4.31, 4.26, 4.26, 4.22, 4.18 (22.10) (10k 44.33)
    4.19, 4.17, 4.32, 4.14, 4.18 (21.40)
    4.23, 4.16, 4.21, 4.27, 4.16 (21.47) (10k 43.27)
    4.05, 0.54

1.32:46 for 21.23km

• Advertisement

Sunday: Rest
    Monday: 6.2 miles easy
    Tuesday: Rest
    Wednesday: 6.8 miles steady
    Thursday: 5 miles steady
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: 13.1 miles (race)

Weekly total: 31.1 miles

Running YTD: 441.5 miles / 77 runs (4 races)

A -ive split with those hills. Brilliant stuff Kenny, well done.

You asked if my gf enjoyed it, yeah she loved it but wants to improve the 5km time before carrying on with the long races. Might be another hooked runner yet.

Now where did I put my bike?

You asked if my gf enjoyed it, yeah she loved it but wants to improve the 5km time before carrying on with the long races. Might be another hooked runner yet.

Great to hear, my gf loves it too. Bonus that she will actaully listen to me about it!

just read the report there , cant believe you ran that time on such low mileage , that must be a real confidence booster ? do you think the bike work contributed alot to that time ?

Seres wrote: »
    just read the report there , cant believe you ran that time on such low mileage , that must be a real confidence booster ? do you think the bike work contributed alot to that time ?
    To be honest i can only say that it must of been of huge benefit, certainly a million times better than doing nothing. I added it up earlier and i only did just over 60 miles since the middle of april.

I think the benefits of the cycling would be that it cuts weight quick, can increase vo2 and LT, and most importantly gives you good endurance and mental strenght.

Seriously hungover yesterday - trip to D2 with some of the lads i went to college with. Carnage.

Today did 5miles in 44mins. think thats the slowest i ve ever run on my own so good to be sensible for once. My quads are in ribbons and alcohol certainly slows the recovery. achilles was grand yesterday which is good news.

Considering 5k in rathfarnham on sunday and also going to try get a set of spikes and give some cross country a go this year.

Really enjoying being back running and racing

Running YTD: 446.5 miles / 78 runs (4 races)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done on the PB kennyb3, I've no doubt that the cycling stood to you. Fabulous result off low mileage

Iv been thinking about CC myself. There's a 4 miler CC race this sunday in Sixmilebrdige but i don't haveany spikes yet.

You doing the simon fun run in oct?

Iv been thinking about CC myself. There's a 4 miler CC race this sunday in Sixmilebrdige but i don't haveany spikes yet.

You doing the simon fun run in oct?

Hoping to buy spikes saturday, take a trip into town but it might be the following week.

Plan to do simon at this stage, but dont like planning too far ahead anymore. Do rathfarnham on sunday morning, and see how i feel.

• Advertisement

kennyb3 wrote: »
    To be honest i can only say that it must of been of huge benefit, certainly a million times better than doing nothing. I added it up earlier and i only did just over 60 miles since the middle of april.

I think the benefits of the cycling would be that it cuts weight quick, can increase vo2 and LT, and most importantly gives you good endurance and mental strenght.
    60miles since april , :eek: , that was a fantastic time on that bases alone !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement