Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A passion for running and cycling

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Sept 21st

Minding my GF's sisters baby for the week so wasnt sure what running id get done this week or if id even get any done. So i get out, no plan and all of a sudden im running too fast and am doing 400m intervals on the road, 3 days after the half marathon.

Anyway thankfully i copped on and stopped after 2 intervals (which were done in 92 and 93secs for the record) and just kept it steady after that - well that is until I did the last 500m home at 3.30p/km.

Was disguted with myself when i got home but I got away with it as legs are grand today. This is why i need plans - not just do what i feel like. First time i ve been really retarded since i got back.

Anyway 7k in 32.30 or so

Running YTD: 450.9 miles / 79 runs (4 races)

A PB by 21 seconds on my le cheile time last year, but to be honest I was'nt overly happy after. Not disappointed, just not buzzing like usual. However dont get me wrong I am happy probably being over hard on myself. There were some big positives from it including

- a PB off little training (only 3 weeks with this week being pure crap training wise)
    - No speed work at all done
    - I've come on significantly from the 10k 2 weeks ago as above mcmillan time suggests (40.08 for 10k - i ran 42.07 two weeks ago)

However the negatives were:

- Once i knew i wasnt going sub 19 around 3k in i gave up a bit mentally. I knew i was guaranteed a pb once i didnt slow up hugely so i did way too much coasting for last 1.4k
    - Felt really tired at the end and my last km which is all downhill was only 3.55, whereas i ran the first one along same part of road in 3.36 (I think - im not at home so will put up splits tomorrow). I'd normally finish off fast but maybe this was partly re the point above.

As I said i ll stick the splits up later or tomorrow but the first km was a flyer as its downhill, like others i got a fright when the gun went off - came out of knowwhere. Despite been near enough the front there was the usual slow coaches in the way. pain in the ass! after 600m it spread out and i spotted Gerard65 maybe 30-50m up the road - he certainly started fast. I was worried id started too slow not taking full effect of the downhill part, but decided id pace myself.

I let a few pass me out and tried to get back from 3.30p/km average to 3.40p/km, maybe this was dumb not sure. I remember hitting a mile and 5.40 being called out - too fast I thought. However I just kept going and just tried to get into a slighlty more relaxed mode aiming around 3.50p/km. For a while I got running with a raheny runner who seemed to be going the same clip. After a km or so running together i left him behind and decided to push on.

I passed quite a few from mid km 2 to mid km 3 including Ger - however most of them would pass me back out once we hit the downhill. I flew past him and tapped him on the back to say hi. However at the top of the uphill before we swung left and back onto the downhill I began to struggle a bit, i knew i wasnt going sub 19 which was the goal - although i didnt really have one to be honest - but it was in the back of my mind.

Im not sure if i went off too fast, the lack of training, the half marathon and 10k of the previous two weeks, the no sub 19 or what it was caught up with me. but i just faded from here. i kept under 4mins p/km which was still pleasing and better than my last 5k race last year but i just couldnt push on and wasnt feeling the love.

Ger came up behind me and ran behind for a bit but im not sure he realised id slowed down a good bit (not pace wise but compartaively as it was a big downhill section). I was half tempted to tell him to get a move on as he was wasting time behind me for no reason. He eventually moved on.

Anyway i coasted home not feeling great despite the crappy last km pace. Im happy with a 19.19 but pissed off cause i know i should have been at least 10seconds plus faster on the day.

Anyway I think im suited to longer races, I thought it after last weeks race and I think it even more now. I think im good at holding a pace just below my threshold. My 5k time does suggest a faster half marathon than last week but i didnt have the proper training done for last week at all. I think time will defo show im suited to 10k+ races. Im just not sure i enjoy running flat out at my limit for 5k.

For example, as Ger alluded to on his log he beat me by 5 seconds today but i beat him 5mins in the half. id be sure he is better at the short stuff but i think its also a combination of me being better at longer races. Thats a huge difference especially given i didnt even have a base to run the half off.

Anyway the achilles is fine which is the main thing. I think thats enough races for a few weeks now, they ve brought me forward loads but its time to get some training done now and get the mileage up. I ve no doubt i can beat the above 5k time in few weeks but my legs dont take the speed work necessary to run shorter races well. So i ll run long and consistent and take the time down that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Your second last post, you called yourself a tulip for being sensible. You are being a tulip with the last post :D I'm joking........no I'm half joking. Thats brilliant going Kenny. You raced the half last week don't forget. It is horrible in a race when your not in control and trying to hold it together but don't be too hard on yourself.

I like the last paragraph there. Very wise and positive ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

thats a great time. well done. but cop on, your running times and improvements are savage.
    time and patience.

i think you could get some very good 10km times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Great going again KB. Plenty of time to get more running miles under your belt in training and then hit a few more races knocking sh1t loads of your PBs. Flying form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Dude - with the amount of training that's great - stop all this mental nonsense!!!

A break from races might be a good idea given the achilles history - too much, too soon and all that.

If you are thinking of a race soon though - theres the 5mile in the park oct 9th - ill be there for that one.

Anyway - congrats!

ULstudent wrote: »
    Dude - with the amount of training that's great - stop all this mental nonsense!!!

A break from races might be a good idea given the achilles history - too much, too soon and all that.

If you are thinking of a race soon though - theres the 5mile in the park oct 9th - ill be there for that one.

Anyway - congrats!

Cheers, ah yeah i think i was just off yesterday, see my post below.

Yeah i ll probably do that race alright as long as i ve nothing on, will take next weekend off racing and couple of weeks off after that race too.

What time would you be aiming for for it? We might be running together. Id be thinking 32 mins anyway with my PB being 32.40 or so.
    Macanri wrote: »
    Great going again KB. Plenty of time to get more running miles under your belt in training and then hit a few more races knocking sh1t loads of your PBs. Flying form.

Thanks Mac, yeah i need to be more patient for sure. You enjoying a bit of extra spare time?
    thats a great time. well done. but cop on, your running times and improvements are savage.
    time and patience.

i think you could get some very good 10km times.

Cheers MFA, you are right time and patience. You still foloowing that plan. how you finding it? Any races planned?
    Your second last post, you called yourself a tulip for being sensible. You are being a tulip with the last post :D I'm joking........no I'm half joking. Thats brilliant going Kenny. You raced the half last week don't forget. It is horrible in a race when your not in control and trying to hold it together but don't be too hard on yourself.

I like the last paragraph there. Very wise and positive ;)

Thanks misty, ah i was more being a tulip in that post for running fast that day but like you say at least i copped on rather than continuing on. I see you done a serious session your self yesterday.

Lads thanks for all the support and comments i appreciate it and its great to get feedback. As all have said above im only back training and am breaking PB's, progressing and running injury free - what more do i want?

Anyway when i sat down last night and thought about it i realised I was just exhausted and that was behind the mood yesterday. Basically since last Monday I ve been living in my girlfriends sisters house helping the GF look after a 1 year old. Im not use to this and it has me wrecked, sleeping in a strange bed and living out of a bag has been tough. Training has been less than ideal which in turn makes me feel worse and i ve been getting up far earlier than im use to. Im a creature of habit and a sleepy one at that.

So looking at it differently now a 21 second PB is more than i could have hoped for tired or not tired given im only back.

Anyway to all the people who train with kids - you's are my heros!

Back to proper training this week together with more sleep.:)

Monday : 5m recovery
    Tuesday: 4.35 miles incl 3 * 400m intervals
    Wednesday: Nothing
    Thursday : Nothing
    Friday: 5.3 miles
    Sat: 4miles
    Sunday: 6.5 miles incl. 5k race

Weekly total: 25.15 miles

Running YTD: 476.05 miles / 82 runs (5 races - 4 PB's)

:D good practice for ya kb.

but you should try looking after a 0-6 mth old too , just for the full picture. i know i havent slept more than 3 hours at a time in the last year. sometimes when i get to the start line all i want to do is sleep. i rem the streets of galway and looking enviously at all the well rested athletes and thinking, well fek ye, i've been up since 3am :o.

anyhow train mostly at about midnight now. ok nuff of the moaning and i know i'm not alone and would'nt change a thing.

yeah training going ok. pb 10km c 43 55 official, hope to take a decent chunk off it ( 55 secs? at least) on st stephens day athenry 10km.

• Advertisement

:D good practice for ya kb.

but you should try looking after a 0-6 mth old too , just for the full picture. i know i havent slept more than 3 hours at a time in the last year. sometimes when i get to the start line all i want to do is sleep. i rem the streets of galway and looking enviously at all the well rested athletes and thinking, well fek ye, i've been up since 3am :o. .

Good practice is right as i said to herself we ll never get a better opportunity to see what its like. In fairness he has been great but i got a taste of the bad nights with a half 2 wake up call last night. Needless to say im slumped over the keyboard in work today.
    anyhow train mostly at about midnight now. .

Eh i hope it doesnt come to that, you're putting me off kids
    yeah training going ok. pb 10km c 43 55 official, hope to take a decent chunk off it ( 55 secs? at least) on st stephens day athenry 10km.

Yeah at least that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

Good man Kenny glad you came around. A PB is a PB at the end of the day plus there will be other races. I know how you feel though but a good nights sleep usually clears my mind. You have come on so much man, maybe time for a little break, go out, drink, eat etc.... Then get back to it again, set some goals and enter a race or two over the winter.

Good man Kenny glad you came around. A PB is a PB at the end of the day plus there will be other races. I know how you feel though but a good nights sleep usually clears my mind. .

Thanks, so true about the sleep. Slept properly last night and feel invigorated.

You have come on so much man, maybe time for a little break, go out, drink, eat etc.... Then get back to it again, set some goals and enter a race or two over the winter.

Ha ha trust me i eat enough as it is for a small army, im not one for denying myself too much.

Monday 27th

Good sensible easy run after sundays efforts. 7k in 35 mins on the dot. Legs werent stiff at all from sunday anyway which was a good sign.

Running YTD: 480.40 miles / 83 runs (5 races - 4 PB's)

Tuesday 28th

8miles @ 8 min/m.

Very enjoyable easy run. every mile was pretty spot on 8 m/m. 60% on grass. Plenty of laps of my favourite loop in malahide castle

Running YTD: 488.40 miles / 84 runs (5 races - 4 PB's)

Wednesday 29th

3.1 miles @ 8.30 m/m

Recovery jog.

6miles with 3k tempo planned later - aim is to hit 4.15 p/km - may as well get it down on paper so i dont do anything nuts.

Running YTD: 491.50 miles / 85 runs (5 races - 4 PB's)

Thursday 30th

10k with 3.5 k tempo. (48mins total running)

Tempo km's were all between 4.15 and 4.20. Happy thats done. Extended warm up and down either side. 7 days running in row so will take tomorrow off before long run on saturday morning.

Running YTD: 497.70 miles / 86 runs (5 races - 4 PB's)

Good idea with taking tomorrow off after 7 days running. Im trying to follow a minimum of every second day to let my body recover since i know the injury has left my right leg stronger than my left.

I picked up some epson salts today and will throw it into my foot massage thingy over the weekend after i saw your recommendation on KCs log i think!

Good idea with taking tomorrow off after 7 days running. Im trying to follow a minimum of every second day to let my body recover since i know the injury has left my right leg stronger than my left.

Yeah kind of did the 7 days by accident but there was a lot of easy miles in there so not too bad. Just trying to build a base and put strength back in the legs.
    I picked up some epson salts today and will throw it into my foot massage thingy over the weekend after i saw your recommendation on KCs log i think!

Yeah that was the one. I try do it twice a week now hopefully it makes a difference, time will tell.

Saturday 2nd

Met a mate for a pint last night, turned into 5 and only ended up getting to bed at 2 so made it out a bit later than hoped .

Got a text from macanri so met him and we ended up doing 20.5k @ 4.54p/km (12.7m @ 7.53) average. Nice and handy all the way and we picked up the pace a bit towards the end.

Good run and it felt easy apart from being tired and slightly elevated HR after last night. Legs fine though.

Running YTD: 510.40 miles / 87 runs (5 races - 4 PB's)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Good to meet up for that run, cheers.
    When I enter the run on my log I am using the heading 'A Brownian Run', cause as I said if it was plotted on Garmin connect that's what it would be like. A great run though all the same. My legs were feeling it on that last 1.5km to the car. Thanks again man.

Sunday 3rd

10k recovery run in 53 mins. just a nice easy jog around enjoying the weather.

40miles for the week, think it could be my most ever and legs can feel it. All good tho. Will prob take tomorrow off

Running YTD: 516.60 miles / 88 runs (5 races - 4 PB's)

Monday 4th

Rest - legs in ribbons from last week.

Tuesday 5th

11k in 52.15 (4.45p/km av). This was 3k warm up, 6k tempo and 2k warm down.

Tempo splits were:

Happy with that, not easy but didnt kill me either. Once i got through the 3rd km i was fine, i was worried about finishing but thats just confidence as i havent done these properly in while.

Will run easy now up until the 5m race on sat.

Running YTD: 523.40 miles / 89 runs (5 races - 4 PB's)

Wednesday 6th

5miles easy. No pace as garmin died. Felt like i was going nicely so had to slow it down purposely to keep myself in check.

Really enjoying the last few weeks of training and keeping the feet grounded and not going mad with sessions.

Running YTD: 528.40 miles / 90 runs (5 races - 4 PB's)

Thursday 6th

This was one of them runs i ve tried to get rid of - in no mans land really (not fast enough to be a tempo and not slow enough to be aerobic/easy), but i let myself have this little indulgence as it was both fun and good for the confidence.

8k @ 4.40p/km but with 2* 4.30p/km and 1 * 4.20p/km.

The quicker km's felt great, it was nice to be going easy enough at that pace and definitely helps the confidence for tomorrow morning's race. Although I doubt my legs will be as fresh as they could be even with a rest today.

Running YTD: 533.40 miles / 91 runs (5 races - 4 PB's)

whats the race ? and what your plans/hopes for it.?

whats the race ? and what your plans/hopes for it.?
    Dublin simon 5m race. 5m pb stands at 32.42 from raheny 5 but that would be a much quicker course. First goal would be to break that which i think is achievable and second is to get as close to 32 as possible. I'd be confident of being right around 32 on a flatter course but i know the kyber and hills will cost me time regardless.

Plan is to go through 5k in about 19.50 and try hang on as best as i can to 4min km's but i know i ll fade a bit.

:) 32.15, which is a nice PB of 27 seconds, and am totally delighted with how it went. Splits below.

Start was a mess, but thankfully i just decided to start at the very front just behind the really fast guys. First km was quick given it was largely uphill. I just tried to tag onto some faster runners and let them carry me along for this first km.

I then settled down to my own pace and was running with 2 other lads, one of whom i figured out might be El_D after he got a few shouts. It became apparent that there wasnt too many runners going a similar pace and i knew i faced long stretches on my own running into the wind. I pushed on from person to person when i could but there was no real shelter and no one going my pace.

Km's 2 to 5 were nice and easy (easy course wise - i was panting), either flat or downhill with only one hill of any note. I spent these trying to buy time i.e. get as far under 4min p/km where i could.

I went through 5km in 19.26 (:) verry happy with that), which is only 7 seconds off my raheny time, which i now figure is due a beating. I was finding the wind tough at this stage as we faced back into it, and along came the hills too just to kick me in the teeth.

I kept the pace up well enough, but the last 1.4km or so was a real struggle. Going up the kybher i felt like stepping out - i didnt obviously but i was really suffering and worried about finishing. I slowed up a bit and once i got near the top i knew i was grand. I lost alot of time here (15seconds +) which i know when i get fitter i could take back.

Going up the kybher i knew i had a good chance of breaking 32 but i just didnt have the legs/energy to keep up the pace. Was glad to see the line to say the least. Maybe i went a bit too fast or maybe i havent got the stamina yet due to mileage but anywho the first 7k went great before that and i enjoyed it.

Splits:

- 4.23 (horrific)
    - 0.14 (.16 km)

Met Meno, Racoon Queen, and Chinguetti after too. I stupidly said no to a pint after as i drove - i regret that now, im gasping for one - school boy error. Nice to meet you all.

Sub 32 the next day.

I ve given up moaning about my legs on my log in last while, but i ve been feeling a tendon in my left calf (well between calf and achilles - my dodgy left leg again) since tuesdays tempo, amazingly its stiff walking but fine running, so im going to have a few days off just to get it right. It feels grand now but as i say i dont mind few days off here and there, its months off i want to avoid.

Finally got my beer, tastes so much nicer after a good race!:)

• Advertisement

Nice result Kenny

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement