Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A passion for running and cycling

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

If it's any consolation I lost 15-20 seconds on the last mile, and like you felt like stopping while running up the Khyber. Still you hammered your PB on a tough course in less that ideal conditions so you can have no complaints. Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

If it's any consolation I lost 15-20 seconds on the last mile, and like you felt like stopping while running up the Khyber. Still you hammered your PB on a tough course in less that ideal conditions so you can have no complaints. Well done
    Cheers man, as you say seems others found it tough too which in a way is a relief. The kybher is some hill at that stage of a race, when you are trying to go up it fast (which is the key), like it was grand at half marathon pace a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Finally got my beer, tastes so much nicer after a good race!:)

Me too :) well done today buddy

Me too :) well done today buddy
    Cheers you too, now drink up your medicine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Cheers man, as you say seems others found it tough too which in a way is a relief. The kybher is some hill at that stage of a race, when you are trying to go up it fast (which is the key), like it was grand at half marathon pace a few weeks ago.

Was talking to the winner afterwards and he found it tough as well. He was saying he was trying to get the lead car to shield him from the wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Well done. Kennyb, another great run, you're racking up those pbs. Great to see you running so well.

Whats the next race?

Thanks dude, really enjoying racing. Re next race i'm not sure yet but id imagine it will be something in a month or so, think its time to get a bit more training done now. I need to get some long runs in and all these races are meaning alot of missed ones and easy days after.

Monday 11th

Said id take a few days off but couldnt resist a run tonight. Needed it to get the beer out of my system form saturday night, plus i ate a mountain of food over the weekend.

5 miles @ 8 m/m. Legs were heavy but no niggle so thats good. Still take it handy this week, might try get a massage too to help.

Running YTD: 544.40 miles / 93 runs (6 races - 5 PB's)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

Hey Kenny,

Gonna be out in the Castle this Saturday if you're interested around 11ish?. Only doing 10 miles at 8:40ish pace.

Alan

foleyalan wrote: »
    Hey Kenny,

Gonna be out in the Castle this Saturday if you're interested around 11ish?. Only doing 10 miles at 8:40ish pace.

Alan
    Hi Alan, i ve to switch my run longer run to sunday this week as have plans on sat, if you fancy a spin then let me know.

cheers

Brian

• Advertisement

Thursday 14th

Took Tuesday and Wednesday off as had a cold (like half the country it seems), but felt much better when i woke this morning. Between work and the legs it was a timely break.

Tonight was 9.6m @ 7.41m/m.

Felt unbelievably fresh and in good form. Just goes to show what a break and rest does.

Running YTD: 554.0 miles / 94 runs (6 races - 5 PB's)

Friday 15th

2.9 miles recovery with OH

Saturday 16th

Rest (Steak and beer - yum yum)

Sunday 17th

Didnt make it out of bed for my run this morning due to a few beers too many last night - i'm such a lightweight these days.

Got out this evening tho: 15miles @ 8.06m/m

Really enjoyed it, started out around 8.30 per mil and picked it up from half way. Drank plenty too as was worried about dehydration. Good to get a long one in.

Running YTD: 571.9 miles / 96 runs (6 races - 5 PB's)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Sorry Kenny, I might have missed it...or forgot, but whats the next goal race? well done on the 15m. Great to be bagging runs like that.

Sorry Kenny, I might have missed it...or forgot, but whats the next goal race? well done on the 15m. Great to be bagging runs like that.
    Cheers! id be thinking 10k mid november if possible as i wanna get that sub 40 if i can. Then thinking of waterford half and with a bit of luck on the the legs front possibly a spring marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Cheers! id be thinking 10k mid november if possible as i wanna get that sub 40 if i can. Then thinking of waterford half and with a bit of luck on the the legs front possibly a spring marathon.

Have you a 10k in mind kennyb3? I'd like to get the sub40 monkey off my back too and that might be a good time before the winter training for the bike takes over from the running

showry wrote: »
    Have you a 10k in mind kennyb3? I'd like to get the sub40 monkey off my back too and that might be a good time before the winter training for the bike takes over from the running
    I dont really showry, i know there are a couple in November but they are small races and not sure of courses etc. Also i ve a busy November between weddings and a few other things so i ll just have to wait see closer to the time. You ll break 40 at a stroll anyway, it will be much closer for me.

Monday 18th

Rest - quads sore should have done a recovery run but didnt.

Tuesday 19th

5miles @ 8.10m/m. nice easy one. cool out.

Running YTD: 576.9 miles / 97 runs (6 races - 5 PB's)

Wednesday 20th

Tempo Night!

1.85miles w/u

4miles @ 6.50m/m.

1mile warm down

Very pleased with that - every mile was pretty much bang on the button and for once the pace was even rather than up and down. Felt easier than i tought it would be, it was still a tough workout but not a struggle. Had one of them good nights.

Running YTD: 583.75 miles / 98 runs (6 races - 5 PB's)

Thursday 21st

Rest.

Friday 22nd

5m @ 7.45. Good easy aerobic run before 12m in the morning.

Running YTD: 588.75 miles / 99 runs (6 races - 5 PB's)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Alright kennyb, just wondering if your following any particular training schedule as it's identical to mine and I made mine up, only difference is I had a 2 min break between my tempo of 2x2 mile and I'm currently alot slower.

• Advertisement

Woddle wrote: »
    Alright kennyb, just wondering if your following any particular training schedule as it's identical to mine and I made mine up, only difference is I had a 2 min break between my tempo of 2x2 mile and I'm currently alot slower.
    Hi Woodle, no not following a plan nor do i ever think i will again. I ve basically made a decision to run one tempo and one long run a week (2 hard days) and everything else easy. It's all my legs handle, i ll prob introduce intervals on grass some time but i want to try get 6 months injury free first.

Im just totally going by feel and what my legs tell me. I think it's still possible to improve hugely that way and without killing myself - its all about the long term for me no rather than forcing it.

Came up with this last night to add some spice to the long run.

Plan

3.1 miles in 26mins
    3.1 miles in 25 mins
    3.1 miles in 24 mins
    3.1 miles in 23 mins

Actual

3.1 miles in 25.52 (@ 8.19 p/m)
    3.1miles in 24.43 (@ 7.57 p/m)
    3.1miles in 23.36 (@ 7.35 p/m)
    3.1 miles in 22.21 (@ 7.11 p/m)

Overall 12.4m @ 7.47.

Delighted with that, breaks up the boredom of regular long runs so might do it once a month. Wouldnt want to do it more often as it definitely take a good bit more out of the body than a 15miler or so easy.

Absolutely gorgeous out, malahide castle was a picture. hopefully it will be like that on Monday morning for everybody doing DCM.

Running YTD: 601.15 miles / 100 runs (6 races - 5 PB's)

Sunday 24th

Rest

Monday 25th

11miles @ 8.23p/m.

Good to get a second decent run in over the weekend. Needed it after all the junk i ve ate and drank. Gorgeous day for it, ran along the estuary in malahide which was amazing in the sun.

Legs were tired so took it nice and easy, stiff afterwards but happy.

All i could think about on the run was wishing i was doing the DCM - next year definitely

Running YTD: 612.15 miles / 101 runs (6 races - 5 PB's)

Tuesday 26th

2.8miles @ 8.51. Just used this to drop back a dvd, hardly worth putting on the shorts for. Would of extended it but felt like i was coming down with a cold.

Wednesday

Tempo night!!

1.85miles w/u, 5 miles @ 6.52 p/m, 1mile warmdown.

Happy with that. Added one mile to last week and only 2secs per mile slower.

Felt tougher than last week tho, as my legs were tired after 2 decent runs over the weekend and it was much windier along the coast this evening. TBH i should have slowed down a bit going into the wind as i was prob pushing slightly too hard for a tempo.

Hard to imagine running 13+ miles of these for a sub 1.30 half i ll be targeting altho i know from experience im the type of person who has a big gap between training times and race times. Plenty more training left to do too.

Still, really puts into perspective what sub 3 is all about, running slightly quicker than this for over 26 miles! wow is all i can say!

Anyway a good 34 mins at LT tonight.

Running YTD: 622.75 miles / 103 runs (6 races - 5 PB's)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Good job and I like that 4x5km idea. Something different.

What was the DVD :D?

Good job and I like that 4x5km idea. Something different.

ha, im not falling for that one 4* 3.1miles you mean!
    What was the DVD :D?

Perrier's bounty - wasn't a fan although herself enjoyed it. I should of bought the thing it was that overdue!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Thanks dude. You are flying and still worried about your sub 90. You are right, it will be tough holding that pace for 13.1 miles. Thanks because as i was reading your post it was as if I awoke from a 6 week slumber......I don't want to be last of the boardies attempting to do a sub90 in Waterford!!

I too like the variation on the long run.

Thanks dude. You are flying and still worried about your sub 90. You are right, it will be tough holding that pace for 13.1 miles. Thanks because as i was reading your post it was as if I awoke from a 6 week slumber......I don't want to be last of the boardies attempting to do a sub90 in Waterford!!

I too like the variation on the long run.
    Ah i always worry.

On one hand im confident i can manage it with a few more weeks training the way things are going. I ve 200+ miles done since the last half which was a 1.32.46 and off little training and i ll get plenty more miles in between now and then.

But on the other hand i have a wedding, my sis's 21st and a trip to a friend in england all over weekends in November so that could feck things up a lot with drink and missing long runs, altho i ll do my best to get them in. Sub 1.30 is also 9 secs a km quicker every km (for 21+ of them) than last time which scares me.

All in all though i cant wait to give it a lash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Ah i always worry.

On one hand im confident i can manage it with a few more weeks training the way things are going. I ve 200+ miles done since the last half which was a 1.32.46 and off little training and i ll get plenty more miles in between now and then.

But on the other hand i have a wedding, my sis's 21st and a trip to a friend in england all over weekends in November so that could feck things up a lot with drink and missing long runs, altho i ll do my best to get them in. Sub 1.30 is also 9 secs a km quicker every km (for 21+ of them) than last time which scares me.

All in all though i cant wait to give it a lash.

You'll break 1'30 i reckon, possibly even 1'29, you're training (and ability level) are almost identical to when i did 1'28'30 last year. Big fan of progression runs myself, especially the longer ones. Do you do strides after runs for interests sake? Intervals on grass is definitely the way to go. I'd imagine the par 3 golf course outside lap out your way would be ideal. Have they put up any more fences to stop us good folk hopping over and playing for free??

• Advertisement

You'll break 1'30 i reckon, possibly even 1'29, you're training (and ability level) are almost identical to when i did 1'28'30 last year.

Cheers Brian, as you say i should and i think i will if im honest, think i just need to have confidence and go at the required pace from the start.
    Big fan of progression runs myself, especially the longer ones. Do you do strides after runs for interests sake? Intervals on grass is definitely the way to go.I'd imagine the par 3 golf course outside lap out your way would be ideal.

Yeah loved that progression run somthing i want to do once a month now. Don't do strides, i know i really should though.

Intervals are something i'd love to be doing but i ll have to leave them till after xamas for 2 reasons, firstly i just want to get 3 months plus injury free repeating the long run and tempo every week for weeks on end and get a steady mileage given my injury history. Secondly the park is closed now in the evening and there isn't really anywhere suitable to do them on grass and i ll definitely only ever do them on grass. In saying that if i felt i really needed them right now im sure id find a well lit spot.
    Have they put up any more fences to stop us good folk hopping over and playing for free??

Thankfully not:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement