Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A passion for running and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Thursday 28th

4 miles easy (about 8.20 p/m i think). Legs were tired from the previous nights tempo. It was bloody windy, was so glad i had the tempo done the night before and was trying to do it last night.

Probably take tonight off and plan is for 15m in the morning, first 10 handy then pick it up for last 5m.

Running YTD: 626.75 miles / 104 runs (6 races - 5 PB's)

Saturday 30th

16.5 miles @ 7.54p/m

11.5miles @ about 8.20p/m, then 5m @ 7.15 p/m

Longest run yet, and good quality, so happy out.

Prob slighlty fast but that was mainly due to the fast finish and as im only doing 2 sessions week - this and a tempo - im happy to make this a bit of a test.

Running YTD: 643.25 miles / 105 runs (6 races - 5 PB's)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

good run kb. and 5 at 7:15 you're building up your strength nicely.

out of interest waht would you call your aerobic pace? /run length?

good run kb. and 5 at 7:15 you're building up your strength nicely.

out of interest waht would you call your aerobic pace? /run length?
    Cheers, i guess it depends what you are talking about exactly. Lots around here do what they call aerobic runs between LT and easy (so 7.40p/m) for me. But really all runs are areobic as i do nothing above VO2 max. In fact i dont really do VO2 sessions at the moment either, i use races for these. Not sure if that is helpful to you.

I only really do LT runs and easy runs now.

Sunday 31st

I took a proper lazy day. Watched Nolan and Carroll rip apart Sunderland which put me in great form. Then watched the liverpool and 2 NFL matches with a mate. My diet was shocking tho over the weekend with 2 chineses and a whole load of crap such as a big bag of doritos yesterday. I need to sort this out.

Monday 1st

This was the strangest run i ve ever done. First few km i felt like crap, bloated, and had a stitch in my back doing 8.30 p/m. Not good! I was in a pisser and cursing myself and my diet. I basically decided i was going to do the tempo part i'd planned and make myself suffer. TBH i didnt expect to get very far with it.

But when i cranked up the pace the stitch went and i felt better.

So did 7.1m @ 7.35 p/m average

Include was 2 * 8mins. First 8 mins @ 6.40p/m and 2nd 8 mins @ 6.21p/m.

The last 8 mins is the fastest i ve run in training for a long time but was comfortably hard rather than all out. Legs feel fine after too.

So instead of been pissed off im pleasantly surprised with how this went.

Running YTD: 650.35 miles / 106 runs (6 races - 5 PB's)

• Advertisement

Tuesday 2nd

Recovery

4m @ 8.20p/m

Left my house and it was drizzling, within 5 minutes i was caught in a monsoon. I gave up trying to avoid the puddles after a mile and just splashed my way around. Some serious flooding within about 15mins of it starting. Amazingly there were 4 other such nutters on my route which was comforting as im not completely odd. The hot shower after was great.

Running YTD: 654.35 miles / 107 runs (6 races - 5 PB's)

Wednesday 3rd

Rest Day, wanted to run just couldn't find the time.

Thursday 4th

Tempo Night!

Planned 6m tempo, only did 4.4m. Not too disappointed, i would of just been flogging myself continuing on trying to plough into that wind, and my stomach wasnt right at all. Just save myself for another night.

4.4m @ 6.48 average.First 2miles too fast with wind behind but was cantering, next 2m were grand but i was trying hard keeping the pace up. I was actually happy with the fight i was putting up and keeping the pace up. Then my stomach was getting worse so i just head home.

6m in total with warm up and down.

Running YTD: 660.35 miles / 108 runs (6 races - 5 PB's)

Sunday 7th

Hadnt run since thursday with a wedding on friday.

10m @ 7.32 P/M

Started out steady and picked it up for last 3m. Last 3m @ 6.45p/m. They really gave me confidence after the other night as they felt easy so it was defo the wind the other night that was killing the breathing.

Fell better having run the drink and food out of me.

Running YTD: 670.35 miles / 109 runs (6 races - 5 PB's)

nice run. prob asked you before but whats your next couple of target races? or have you anthing deffo planned.

nice run. prob asked you before but whats your next couple of target races? or have you anthing deffo planned.

Aware 5k and then waterford half the week after. Not sure i ll fit anything into November as im busy pretty much every weekend. You just focusing on athenry or any plans before that?

• Advertisement

Monday 8th

Woke up 2 niggly achilles, s'hit day in work, out running switched off and not thinking - get drownded by car going through puddle, the heavens open, the power goes in malahide - cant see and running through puddles trying not to trip. Finish the run - cold house, no hot water, no hot food. Cold, tired and hungry.

Should have stayed in bed yesterday.

Anyway 8.1 m @ 8.22p/m.

Slapped on arnica and tiger balm on the calves and achilles after the run and both are fine now. Bit too fast sunday after 2 days rest. Thankfully all okay now. Will skip wednesdays tempo as a precaution.

Running YTD: 678.45 miles / 110 runs (6 races - 5 PB's)

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Monday 8th

Woke up 2 niggly achilles, s'hit day in work, out running switched off and not thinking - get drownded by car going through puddle, the heavens open, the power goes in malahide - cant see and running through puddles trying not to trip. Finish the run - cold house, no hot water, no hot food. Cold, tired and hungry.

Should have stayed in bed yesterday.

and how are you feeling today Victor (meldrew) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Do you have a foam roller at home kenny? I have made a habit of quickly rolling the calves before and after my run after stretching. Also, in one of the gyms i work in there's a vibro plate machine where i turn the hertz right up and use it to massage the calves for a few min - does the job. I noticed when i first got back that my right calf was tightening becuase when i was cycling when injured - my right leg became dominant over the left injured one so when i started running again i have noticed a tighter right calf. Been taking extra care in stretching it and foam rolling it and jump on the vibro plate to massage it now and again. Alls good. Hopefully it will clear up. Maybe do some cross training in place of runs this week - you've done some serious sessions lately - maybe use it as a stepback week?

really progressing anyway - good times.

and how are you feeling today Victor (meldrew) ?

Moany!:D

ULstudent wrote: »
    Do you have a foam roller at home kenny? I have made a habit of quickly rolling the calves before and after my run after stretching. Also, in one of the gyms i work in there's a vibro plate machine where i turn the hertz right up and use it to massage the calves for a few min - does the job. I noticed when i first got back that my right calf was tightening becuase when i was cycling when injured - my right leg became dominant over the left injured one so when i started running again i have noticed a tighter right calf. Been taking extra care in stretching it and foam rolling it and jump on the vibro plate to massage it now and again. Alls good.

Yeah i got one about a month ago when i got that calf niggle. got rid of it and i find it great i have to say. I'd say all my achilles problems were stemming from the calf so i really take care of both calfs with rubs, gels and foam roller.

Must do it later, as i forgot to bring it and epsom salts when i was vacating the house last night.

Never tried a vibro plate but must do some day. I ve often thought about getting a self massage stick though. Money being the problem.

ULstudent wrote: »
    Hopefully it will clear up. Maybe do some cross training in place of runs this week - you've done some serious sessions lately - maybe use it as a stepback week?

really progressing anyway - good times.

Cheers, i ve really come to know my own body and thankfully all is good this morning. Previously i would of just ran through any pain and done the fast sessions regardless and causing proper damage. I find if i just give it a few days now it makes all the difference.

I ll just run easy all week and i wont have time for running today or friday anyway so it will get a good rest before sundays long run.

Hope you are enjoying your break!

Tuesday 9th

Recovery

Nipped out for a short while. Hard to run so slow when its so cold out. The coast is great in the summer but a pain in the ass in the winter. Got absolutely lashed out of it with the wind as my normal route has very little cover.

Cant wait for the cold crisp nights with little wind (although hopefully no snow this year)

3.1 m @ 8.31p/m.

Running YTD: 681.55 miles / 111 runs (6 races - 5 PB's)

Wednesday 10th

2 * 3.1 miles with 6mins in between

First 3.1m in 21.33 (6.56 p/m)

Second 3.1m in 21.20 (6.52 p/m)

Finally got the nice calm cold conditions i like. This was great for the confidence as it went as well as i hoped. Still hard to imagine doing 13.1m in a row of these but races are so different. Sure i did 40.22 for 10k off a 43.45 training TT (or something close).

Total of 8m in 58.18 (7.13p/m) with warm up and easy bit.

Running YTD: 689.55 miles / 112 runs (6 races - 5 PB's)

Thursday 11th

Not often i dont really want to go for a run but tonight was one of them. Started off planning 5m but it was only ever going to be a recovery after yesterday anyway.

Only 3m in the end in just over 25mins. TBH if im planning a recovery as opposed to an easy run in future i ll just do 25-35 mins like this. Not sure 5m at over 40mins is really a recovery even if it is an easy pace when only doing 40m a week as opposed to 50 or 60 a week.

Just a thought for the future.

Running YTD: 692.45 miles / 113 runs (6 races - 5 PB's)

Friday & Sat (12th & 13th)

Rested both days. achilles has been a bit niggly without affecting my running. It was also my sisters 21st so didnt have time for run friday and was hungover sat so between both i decided now was the time to take a mini break

Sunday 14th

Got out late for this after being up late watching the Pacman do his thing. What a legend!

So headed out tonight into great conditions - i absolutely love when its cold and crisp and the cold air burns your lungs and not a hint of wind.

11m @ 7.37 p/m - last 5m @ 7.07 p/m.

Had one of them dream runs - when i picked up the pace it was easy and i only didnt go quicker as wanted to mind the leg - which thankfully seems better. Can really feel the value of the weekly tempo's when running at just over 7m/pm feels comfy. Really feel more confident after that.

To be honest all week i ve been thinking of knocking waterford on the head for a number of reasons. One being that i ll have been out on the lash 3 weekends of 4 in November with a wedding, 21st and weekend away to see a mate (still to come) - so dont feel im really giving it full attention. I do feel in the best shape i ve ever been all the same but this month has just been a battle to hold onto that fitness. A couple of weeks ago i would of been confident of sub 90 now im not really sure.

The other reason was the little niggle - didnt want to be forcing myself to do tempo's and long runs if it means getting injured properly. So i was going to back off training and just run easy for a week. But thankfully the niggle seems like it was only a niggle now. I ve said it before but the most important thing for me is being able to run consistently for 6 months and not be missing a month or two with a proper injury.

Anyway after tonight i ll keep plowing away with the wednesday tempo and long runs at the weekends and monitor the injury with a view to still doing waterford. I ll do the jingle bells 5k the weekend before anyway.

I need a good week of training this week and next weekend (my one sober weekend in the month).

Running YTD: 703.45 miles / 114 runs (6 races - 5 PB's)

Monday 15th

Bloody hate this time of year, work is mental with tax and company filing deadlines. Roll on tomorrow evening when the worst of it is over. Got home late and eventually made it out at nearly 10

Another brilliant night for it, just me and the stars and the lights on howth head to admire. 4m @ 8.20 p/m including my first ever set of strides. 6 * 100m.

Defo need to do those on easy days not on recovery one - legs dont feel fully recovered today at all. Decided it was a case of now or never with these after reading Tergats post yesterday. Will have to move them to grass next time too.

Running YTD: 707.45 miles / 115 runs (6 races - 5 PB's)

• Advertisement

Tuesday 16th

5m @ 8.10 p/m

Got absolutely blown out of it for first 2m till i made it to cover in portmarnock, then was grand and when i turned around i flew the last two miles with the wind behind. I tried to not go mad but the wind was nearly lifting my legs for me.

Grand easy run anyway to recover some more. Plan a tempo for tomorrow but will depend on weather, literally no point trying to do it if its like that tonight.

Running YTD: 712.45 miles / 116 runs (6 races - 5 PB's)

Wednesday 17th

1m warm up, 7 * 1m @ LT with 2mins in between, small warm down

The 7 miles were :

6.40, 6.50, 6.47, 6.52, 6.43, 6.48, 6.46

Total of 10.7m covered.

Used a sheltered enough spot between the golf club in portmarnock and the village and did the miles up and back along this to avoid most of the wind and try make it consistent. The incline up to the golf club was a test each time right at the end of the even number reps.

F'upped now but delighted with that.:)

Running YTD: 723.15 miles / 117 runs (6 races - 5 PB's)

Thursday 18th

Took a rest day. Enjoyed cooking a nice meal and relaxing.

Used the stick on the legs, did some stretches and weights.

Felt the previous night in my legs for sure.

Friday 19th

4m @ 8.20 p/m with some strides at the end.

Loosened the legs out for tomorrow's 5k. Would prefer to do the 10k race in the park as i reckon id give breaking 40 a good lash, but have a dentist appointment early.

Hopefully get close to 19mins tomorrow

Running YTD: 727.15 miles / 118 runs (6 races - 5 PB's)

18.54 and a 25 second pb, which managed 3rd. Super course and great conditions. Flat as a pancake and only a little wind

Big thanks to woddle and TheRoadRunner for orgainising everything.

Forget strides, forget drills - the new way to warm up for a pb? A game of 5 a side 40 mins before the race!! Managed to twist my ankle too but it was grand once i warmed up.

My biggest thanks needs to go to Brianderunner who pretty much paced me around. The race started and he shot off ahead of everyone and i followed. After 300m i caught up and we ran together, lucky me for as i tried to go the wrong way, like the idiot i am. We had a chat on and off and we decided to let aero2k go as it would be suicide chasing him as he went by.

After 800m he edged ahead and after that i just used him as a dangling carrot to chase after. I just didnt have it in me to get on terms and reciprocate the drafting. He always looked far more comfortable.

The first 3km were paced well : 3.45, 3.48, 3.49

The 4th we both started slowing, so i decided to speed up and overtake him. Afterwards he said he thought i might be going for it, but sure my spurt last all of 300m or so, i was just trying to drag us back to sub 19 pace for that km. 4th km was 3.53.

Brian passed me again and got a good 10m gap and after that it was just a case of not letting it extend. Felt like crap and just wanted it all to end. Got to 200m to go sprinted and thankfully it was. 3.41 for the last km.

Died for the next 5 mins.Delighted though. Did a warm down with Shels then back to the sports hall.

Big feed of sandwiches, wraps and biscuits. I ate more than my share its fair to say. Chatted with some of the lads and had a bit of a laugh.

Delighted with that before waterford half. As i said a great day out, nice to meet a load of new people, hope they make it an annual thing.

Now for some Heineken:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

terrific stuff Kenny well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Great going there -flying it since ya got back - non stop

Sunday 21st

10m @ 7.42 p/m

Legs a bit stiff beforehand and more stiff now. prob well too fast in fairness the day after a race.

Did it back in balbriggan, and took in a beast of a hill going out to gormastown.

Legs started to feel jaded so left it at 10, have done enough for the week - 40miles with 7*1 m cruise intervals wednes, a 5k pb yesterday and now a quick enough 10miler.

Cant wait for waterford, hopefully wont sabotage myself too much next weekend when im away

Running YTD: 742.15 miles / 120 runs (7 races - 6 PB's)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Great to get out for a 10miler after the race - well done.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Great to get out for a 10miler after the race - well done.
    Thanks BB, its actually the first time i ve done it with my legs being like glass, however the base of miles i ve built up now really seems to be standing to me. Legs are tired after but no niggles.

• Advertisement

fair play kb. i'd say you'd be the first to admit that you still have'nt got a good decent run at training what with injuries/cycling/weddings etc to distract you. if you can get a good 4 or 5 months injury free i 'd say you would do even more damage to that pb.
    fantastic time keep it up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement