Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A passion for running and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

fair play kb. i'd say you'd be the first to admit that you still have'nt got a good decent run at training what with injuries/cycling/weddings etc to distract you. if you can get a good 4 or 5 months injury free i 'd say you would do even more damage to that pb.
    fantastic time keep it up.
    True, but alot of that has been my own fault, i ve been my own worst enemy in terms of picking up injuries. But i really feel i ve turned a corner and am feeling very positive.11 weeks good training in a row now and sub 90 for the half is looking good and sub 40 for the 10k should follow when i find the race to suit. After that hopefully a sub 3.20 marathon. I definitely feel i am more suited to longer distances.

Monday 22nd

4m @ 8.30 p/m recovery. my quads were stiff and sore all day so hopefully this will ease them out. Plan is to do a big session on thurs night if i can find the time.

Running YTD: 746.15 miles / 121 runs (7 races - 6 PB's)

Tempo

6.2m @ 6.47. At the start of this cycle of training about 8 weeks ago, i said to myself if i could do 6m at HMP (6.52), id be confident of making sub 90. Im fairly confident now.

Mad, i did the 10k in 42.13, only 4 seconds slower than the firhouse 10k race when i came back from injury 12 weeks ago and this felt alot easier (i thought id keel over halfway through that race, i wasnt even pushing in the last few km's tonight) - just goes to show what solid training does i guess!

Also it took 1min 11secs off my 10k training pb (was 43:24 - off which i ran 40.22 a few weeks later).

Only wish the half marathon was this weekend. It's not a given and im taking nothing for granted but i feel in flying form now.

Running YTD: 753.6 miles / 121 runs (7 races - 6 PB's)

Wednesday 24th

Rest - took the gf out for a meal and had a couple of pints. Very enjoyable

Thursday 25th

Fartlek

5.2m @ 7.30 p/m.

Bit of everything thrown in, some strides, 400m interval, steady couple of k's easy jog between.

This was a run for me - just a bit of fun not sticking to my usual rigid schedule.

Wont get to run till Monday or Tuesday now

Running YTD: 758.8 miles / 122 runs (7 races - 6 PB's)

Did nothing since thursday bar drink and eat as was away visiting my best mate in brighton. Blessed to get home in the end, delayed 4 hours but finally got home at half 2 last night. Not a fan of flying so i always drink plenty but with the delay i had about 11 pints of stella in me by the time i got on the plane. Not good!

Monday 29th

Took an extra days annual leave and slept off the hangover. After that got up and hit the beach (great for when there is ice about)

6.8m @ 8.05 p/m.

Actually felt surprisingly okay, thought id feel way way worse.

The big problem will be getting runs in midweek when the beach isnt really an option as its just too dark. Really pee'd off, needed a good week this week to make sure of the sub 90. The jingle bells will prob be cancelled too and this snow and ice seems like it will be an annual thing now so note to self pick races at more suitable times of the year. All going a bit pear shaped but what can you do

Running YTD: 765.6 miles / 123 runs (7 races - 6 PB's)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

You're in a similar boat to me. I was hoping to go sub 90 in Waterford, but this weather will make things tough. I haven't signed up, so might not bother at this stage.

One or 2 decent sessions this week (even on the treadmill) will get the confidence up. Best of luck - you've done the tempo miles, so sub 90 is still on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Kb, don't worry about the sub 90. You have the hard work and good training done - I know it's about maintenance of fitness now, but what can you do. Just be careful running on the beach (that is how I had the mild tear in the achilles last year - I did 5km on the beach one day and then did 10km on the beach a day or two later and that was that).

cwgatling wrote: »
    You're in a similar boat to me. I was hoping to go sub 90 in Waterford, but this weather will make things tough. I haven't signed up, so might not bother at this stage.

One or 2 decent sessions this week (even on the treadmill) will get the confidence up. Best of luck - you've done the tempo miles, so sub 90 is still on.
    Cheers! as you say it will make it tough. Dont have a threadie but going to see if i can get a one month gym membership nearby.

Failing that it may be an ungodly amount of laps around a small nearby field. I have given up yet but its going to be a test alright. Even finding the will to get out esp when the wind is baltic will be a challenge.

Macanri wrote: »
    Kb, don't worry about the sub 90. You have the hard work and good training done - I know it's about maintenance of fitness now, but what can you do. Just be careful running on the beach (that is how I had the mild tear in the achilles last year - I did 5km on the beach one day and then did 10km on the beach a day or two later and that was that).
    Thanks Mac, yeah that crossed my mind I use to run on the beach alot and its very demanding on the calves. Will have to watch that one.

All sorts of stuff running through my head - gym membership, laps of small grass field, have a go at butchering an old pair of runners.

All very annoying though after 3 months of training.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Kenny you are well set for sub 90, in my experience enforced rest periods can leave you fresh on the day. So long as you can keep doing a bit, if you got the gym membership that would do the trick me thinks, not ideal but making the best of a bad situation.

I have also learned that it isn't ideal setting a goal/training objective for this time of year as it puts you under pressure. I felt I had a long season and I wasn't enjoying having to drag it out. Since knocking Waterford on the end I feel free again and enjoying training again. Good luck KB and dont worry it will work out.

• Advertisement

Kenny you are well set for sub 90, in my experience enforced rest periods can leave you fresh on the day. So long as you can keep doing a bit, if you got the gym membership that would do the trick me thinks, not ideal but making the best of a bad situation.

I have also learned that it isn't ideal setting a goal/training objective for this time of year as it puts you under pressure. I felt I had a long season and I wasn't enjoying having to drag it out. Since knocking Waterford on the end I feel free again and enjoying training again. Good luck KB and dont worry it will work out.
    Thanks El_D for the words of encouragement. Would be happy doing a bit here and bit there if it wasnt for last weekend away, need one tempo to just re inforce the confidence.

Definitely lessons to be learned re planning races at this time of year as big goals. And also picking goals when bdays, weddings and stuff are coming up.

Good to hear you are enjoying training again, hopefully see you at some raheny races when this all clears up.

Tuesday 30th

5.1m @ 7.55 p/m. Frickin freezing out.

Running YTD: 770.7 miles / 124 runs (7 races - 6 PB's)

No run last night, no decent quality run in a week, no tune up race, more snow for a week so i ve resigned myself to waterford being game over.

Earlier in the week i was moody and annoyed about it all, but having called a halt to the pursuit im more relieved now. Feels great not to be fretting about the snow or ice now i've made the decision.

Didnt enjoy the last 2 runs, dont plan to spend 75e on a months gym membership to run on a threadmill, not going to risk splitting my head open on ice.

So its off season now, i ll keep ticking over and come back for the raheny 5 then find a half to break the 90mins. It's a big shame as i wanted to see how i'd go and have been training well but if there is one thing i ve learned its that running is about long term consistency - missing one race makes no odds. the training will stand to me.

I didn't expect to hear you say that!
    I hear you and I see where you're coming from, but, You have done great training the last few months, so I would advice running the HM anyway. It won't be as quick as you would have liked, but if you've paid the reg fee then why not give it a shot?
    Hope you don't mind me saying.

I agree with Mac KB, you would probably still do a great time even with rest this week and tune ups/race pace runs this week to build confidence.

Still I hear you about the relief too. I was literally doing nothing at all, hadn't signed up and since I was never going to PB decided to leave it. Now back enjoying training with no immediate goals, never going to set a training objective in the off season again.

Thanks lads. To be honest im glad i ve made the decision as not waking up every morning fretting about the snow and ice and how i ll fit a run in. I doubt it will be on anyway if the weather keeps this way and certainly wouldnt like to be driving down really.

Sunday 5th

Anyway havent run since tuesday so got out today. Hit Portmarnock beach for this. Lovely fresh morning for it.

5.2m @ 7.33 p/m.

Nice to get a good blow into the lungs after few days doing nothing.

Running YTD: 775.9 miles / 125 runs (7 races - 6 PB's)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

You've sub 90 in you no bother kennyb, if therace is on next weekend you should just headdown and get that monkey off your back. No doubt, the way you've been running lately the last few weeks of little running will stand you a good rest, you didn't need any of the training you missed to achieve sub 90, you had it months ago.
    At least wait until thursday or that to make your mind up, but you're running really well.

Cheers Dusty, ah to be fair if there is a big thaw and the roads are grand id prob go down and give it a lash anyway. Just feels nice not to care either way now - looking out the window and being pee'd off was doing me no good. i feel relaxed about it now and what will be will be. I'll do it sooner rather than later anyway. Thought i was capable of 88mins so if i do run 90 should still be feasible.

Thanks lads appreciate all the comments

Monday 6th

Took the yaktrax for their maiden spin - never felt like slipping at all which was good. comfortable but you wouldnt wanna be doing a long one in them. No wear from the bits were the ice was clear which is also good. Id say they ll come in handy now and again.

4.4m @ 8.52 p/m.

Prob the slowest i ve ever run on my own but thew in a few decent hill repeats to get the lungs and heart working. The bits on grass in proper snow were hardest - really pulls the calves and achilles. Wouldnt be doing that every day.

Running YTD: 780.1 miles / 126 runs (7 races - 6 PB's)

Sat 11th

Finally a run of note. Absolutely brilliant to be back on solid safe ground. Up and out early and back and all by 10 - set up for the day. Feel in better form already - serious withdrawal symptoms last week.

11.2m @ 7.51 p/m.

The run itself went better than i expected after a near 2 week break since my last 'real' run of any value. 8 m/m felt as easy as ever and like my run all day pace - if i go any slower i get bored. finished off with 3k tempo, which werent as bad as i feared, so all is good. will get steadily back into it this week.

Running YTD: 791.3 miles / 127 runs (7 races - 6 PB's)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Good to see some positives updates like that. A/R/T is going to be full of happy runners this week I think.

Good to see some positives updates like that. A/R/T is going to be full of happy runners this week I think.
    Thanks, yeah i think we should try to make the most of it - if you look at the weather forum we look to be in for more of the snow etc next weekend. Congrats on the excellent finishing position in the x-country today

A little early but am bored out of my mind waiting for work to finish, I woke at 5 this morning so was in work ridiculously early so plenty of time for a doss. Kind of appropriate as i’ve a small niggle in my foot after last Saturdays run, nothing major but will keep me off for a week more I guess and then its bang into xmas so not likely to add a huge amount of miles this year.

Good Points

- 7 races completed which is more than ever before, and 6 PB’s – so not a bad return. Particularly happy with the 18.54 for 5k recently and also hugely enjoyed running a 1.32 half off just 60 miles.
    - 200 miles more run than last year (33% more)
    - 1,150km more cycled than last year (150% more)
    - My first 3 club cycling races completed, finishing 7th in my second and nearly winning the 3rd only for a puncture.
    - Completing the Tour de Kilkenny which was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. Seriously hilly and I started way too fast. Lesson learned.
    - Excellent block of training lately and learning alot more about my body and what suits it.

Bad Points

- Not getting the chance to run the sub 90 for Waterford half which I was very confident of, in fact I was confident of running 88mins or lower. This was a real bummer after all the training I did.
    - Getting injured for the second successive summer and missing 3 months plus running, something I was very keen to avoid this year.
    - Not enough miles again as a result
    - Getting a niggly injury coming up to xmas, I really wanted to keep ticking over and not feel fat come Jan – ah well.

What I’ve Learned

- I blame getting injured for the summer on trying to make up time/ground after the heart scare, and much like last Saturday I seem to do too much too soon after a break. After each break i need to do a week or two’s easy running.
    - My plan for the last 3 months works for me – tempo included in a medium long run mid week and a long run at the weekend is perfect and well enough. Everything else easy.
    - Running is a long term game and I need to stay injury free and run alot more than I have the last 2 years
    - Cycling hurts

Where to Now:

Well I’ve no lofty plans and would just like to:

- Have as injury free year as I can running and just run more miles more regularly
    - Finally break 40mins for 10k, and get the sub 90 off my back. Both i know i’m easily capable of. However I wont be rushing into finding races in Jan or Feb. I’d much rather just get another 2 months plus training in injury free first.
    - Hop back on my bike in February (Santa is bringing new wheels so that will help)
    - Do more cycling races and sportif’s. Cycling is expensive and time consuming and that puts me off at times but is highly enjoyable.

Anyway that’s it for now. I ll prob change my mind completely after xmas as to what i want to achieve next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Great stuff, well done. Very similar goals to me. You got a marathon planned for next year?

Great year KB! Very solid running and biking. We will surely cross paths in 2011, I am hoping to do a good few of the Weds evening bike races next year. Enjoy the christmas now dude well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Yeah, you really took to the biking this year and then had a savage go at the running to finish off the year. Well done on the work and results. It was your log that finally pushed me to the road cycling after i got the tedonosis as well.

Great year KB! Very solid running and biking. We will surely cross paths in 2011, I am hoping to do a good few of the Weds evening bike races next year. Enjoy the christmas now dude well deserved.

Cheers, enjoy your xmas too and see you in 2011.
    ULstudent wrote: »
    Yeah, you really took to the biking this year and then had a savage go at the running to finish off the year. Well done on the work and results. It was your log that finally pushed me to the road cycling after i got the tedonosis as well.

Cheers, congrats on the modship!
    cwgatling wrote: »
    Great stuff, well done. Very similar goals to me. You got a marathon planned for next year?

Originally was thinking of Vienna but my bro is leaving Austria for the Uk after xmas and with the latest injury im now thinking Dublin if i can run consistently up to the summer.

Anyway Happy Christams everyone!

Sat 1st

5m @ 8.30p/m.

The road back to peak fitness began today.

After nearly 3 weeks off between a small foot injury, xmas and man flu its good to be back. I did a few miles a couple of days ago too but wasnt really well enough for it.

I ve made doing a triathlon in 2011 a new years resolution, so i have to stop putting off going for a few smiws.

Running YTD: 5 miles / 1 run

Good stuff man.

Can't remember if you have had swimming lessons before but if not then check out Portmarnock Sport & Leisure Centre they are currently enrolling for lessons in the next week or so. Well worth getting the lessons and staring off with the right technique.

• Advertisement

Macanri wrote: »
    Good stuff man.

Can't remember if you have had swimming lessons before but if not then check out Portmarnock Sport & Leisure Centre they are currently enrolling for lessons in the next week or so. Well worth getting the lessons and staring off with the right technique.
    Cheers - the things i agree to when im drunk! My Gf's bro in law does them all the time and was in my ear all over xmas so i have to give one a shot now.

Sound, i must drop down there tomorrow or the next day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement