Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A passion for running and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Sat was a rest day, footy match on sunday so no running. ended up battered and bruised so just did a 5km recovery jog last nite, didnt even bother bringing a watch.

will do 5km before football training tonight and some decent running on wednesday and friday this week. diet has been good thanks to lent!!

Absolutely gutted, strained my groin pretty bad at football tonight, perhaps even a small tear! its very sore anyway. have done this before and reckon i ll miss a week at least (maybe two).

its not the worst thing ever but bit down now. will try do some core work and weights and eat well in the meantime to make sure the comeback is as smooth as possible. going to miss running!!:mad:

wanted to keep progressing, this will knock me back a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

bad luck kennyb..but better injured now rather than later in the year when you are nearer your marathon goal.stay focused and youl come back more determined than ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

tough luck. hard to do but dont come back too early. thats the trouble with soccer etc alot of twisting / turning and not all in your control. i rem when i was playing last year particularr;y near teh narathon date and afraid every tackle could put the kibosh on the race.

yeah i think i ve learned one thing from this - i ll need to give up football for 3 weeks prior to the marathon. no way im putting in all the training, raising the money etc and then ending up injured!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

kennyb3 wrote: »
    yeah i think i ve learned one thing from this - i ll need to give up football for 3 weeks prior to the marathon. no way im putting in all the training, raising the money etc and then ending up injured!!
    If at all possible i'd prob try to give it a few extra week then 3. 3 week would be about your taper period , If possible try to avoid playing games around the time of you long runs as your body will be going through a hard enough time. I made that mistake years ago and paid for it during a marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Tough luck. I played 5 a side a lot up til a few years ago but when I started doing marathons consistently I found that the footy and the running didn't mix, so the football took a backseat :o

Leg was feeling slightly better saturday, and i was getting tired of waiting around. did 4 miles in 31.30. really enjoyed it altho i felt the not having run since tuesday. hopefully get some good running done this week.

looking forward to the summer when football is finished and i can really up the training. like SJ says they dont really mix

3.5km last nite with the other half, trying to get her more into running. very enjoyable. hopefully 10+ tonight

i like your plan.
    did 6 miles myself the last day and averaged at 7:23 a mile which was way better than i expected. so happy days.
    have u any races planned?

• Advertisement

yeah i noticed you ve been flying lately, you breezed past me on the 1000 mile challenge due to the fact your really putting in the mileage and im not (injury and football commitments). thats some good running, how tough do you find it?fair play

where do you train by the way and whats your aims?

no races as yet, again mainly due to football. only have about 6 matches left so once the season is over i ll sign up for races on saturdays or sundays

mostly on rural roads. 3-4 mile loop. no traffic (maybe 1 car per loop in rush hour!) its fairly flat (although my legs and lungs beg to differ) and the biggest prob is the midges esp in summer.
    main aim is to braek 4 hours for marathon but really i wouldnt be truly happy until i braek 3:50 or 3:45. on the 10km front i would like to break 45 mins. (ultimately 43 mins or a 10km in ave under 7 mins miles) )
    streets of galway in august i would love to break 35 mins.
    where do u train. goals?

Im quite blessed in that i have a few training loops available to me. my standard one is around the town of balbriggan and its exactly 5km from my house and around and back in to the entrance of my housing estate, so i can choose to do it once, twice or so on. this course is perfect for when its windy as its quite sheltered altho the last 600m is an uphill which is difficult to accelerate on. (this frustrates me and tends to hurt me at the end - i like to finish a run off hard)

i also like to run over to skerries and back (approx 13km) and there is also another 6.5km route out toward balscadden that i like but is not for a windy day, esp as there is a long and steep hill about 1.5km in.

there are also plenty of other directions i can run in and can extend the last 2 above i just havent got the chance as yet. was well pissed off last week getting injured just as the bright evenings and sun started. really looking forward to a sunny sat or sunday soon with no football and just going out on the road for an hour or two and seeing a bit of the countryside.

my goals would be to break 20mins for 5km which im not too far away from. i also want to go sub 43mins for 10km and sub 90mins for a half. more long term i want to break 3:45 for the DCM but i think if i train right (and consistently) i can get closer to 3:30.

just 3.5km last nite due to a mixture of my groin being bit stiff and the shocking weather. this is really pissing me off i need to be doing proper miles.

8.4 miles @ 7:21 pace. really enjoyed this run it was a glorious evening out, tho realised water is prob a good idea now with the hotter temps. managed to eat a few flys along the way too - mmm lovely!!

went through 5km in 22:40 and through 10km in 45:15 which goes to show my pb of just under 45 mins will be annilhilated soon enough. pretty sure i can run close to 44 mins and even getting toward high 43s.

plan is 5km tomorrow before training, run with OH on fri morning followed by swim and sauna. few relaxing kms sat, match sunday, long run early monday. writing it all down so i cant dive out of it!!

hopefully i can stick to it!!

great pace there kennyb. dont know about you but i find it much easier to clock a fast time in a race rather tahn training. last weeks 6 mile race was a case in point. muct be from running with other people that bring you along but theres no way in hell i could do 7:20 odd for 6 miles in training (at the moment anyhow). actually i must try ttomorrow and just see how far off teh mark i am.
    i reckon with your pace you should go under 44 soon. u prob need some 10km races to set the bar !

great pace there kennyb. dont know about you but i find it much easier to clock a fast time in a race rather tahn training. last weeks 6 mile race was a case in point. muct be from running with other people that bring you along but theres no way in hell i could do 7:20 odd for 6 miles in training (at the moment anyhow). actually i must try ttomorrow and just see how far off teh mark i am.
    i reckon with your pace you should go under 44 soon. u prob need some 10km races to set the bar !
    thanks, yeah i cant wait to run a race once the football season allows. im very competitive so i think that will help too. let me know how you get on 2moro if you try it.

have you signed up for DCM or any races yet?

just an easy 5km tonight didnt even bother with the watch, was just a warm up before football.

had been thinking last nite after running the 8.4 miles that in some cases im falling in between with some of my runs (ie hard not hard enough and easy long runs not easy enuf). after reading racing flats advice and that great thread i ve decided a few things:

1. im going to slow down my longer runs to closer to 5mins per km and try run them a bit longer, 11 miles, 13miles, 15 miles etc. will build up gradually
    2. i need to up my mileage if i can
    3. i will only run one 5km or 10km a week at a very strong pace
    4. im going to start trying to keep a weekly milage summary to help me analyse this later and keep a better track (monday to sunday)

if anyone else has more advice id love to hear it. im learning everyday about this whole thing so i may alter my thoughts/training shorthly. i just think im doing too many runs at 85pc to 95pc effort and as a result not getting the proper long ones in

thanks for listening

seems like a plan.
    will prob not enter till august dcm.
    half thinking of longford as part of teh overall training either half or full?
    did 7 miles this morning before work but hadnt the will nor the ability to go for a flat out pace. in the end i decided to go at 'hard conversational' pace (ie would have been able to grunt the odd half sentence - but wouldnt have been able to give you a blow by blow account of liverpools inadeqacies as a football team)
    happy enough to have it over for the day. def will do a 10 miler hopefully over the weekend. theres a decent 10mile (sonny ? memorial) race in clare on sun but not sure if i'll be there.
    for teh record 7 miles at 8:13 pace

• Advertisement

9.1 miles today, 3.1 slow miles with the other half and then 6 quick enough miles in approx 43 mins.

Basically i havent updated this log as im out injured for the next few weeks. Tore my right hamstring playing football last sunday. went to the physio tuesday nite and thankfully it not a bad one, just slightly worse than a grade 1. As those of you know who read my log from the start i had serious trouble with my left hamstring in the past ( some bad grade 3 tears).

im due to see the physio again on monday and wont be doing a thing until then. hoping he will let me do some light jogging and stretches by middle of next week. i ll be taking things very slowly when i come back as i dont want this to be a persistent problem like the left one ended up being.

seriously considering binning the rest of the football season and not going back until after DCM. think i get more enjoyment out of running these days anyway and im sick of getting injuries from footballk whereas i ve had none from running!! also it im keen to run some races soon

been going out of my head watching tv (mainly champions league) and not being able to do any exercise!!

anyway i ll update this again when i get out for my first jog back

they just dont mix. ive played 5 aside last tues and am sore all over but every challenge is a potential long lay off with injury so i'll prob bin myself before its too late. too many hackers in 5 aside (and i include myself) take it easy i see ur thinking of doing something re charity and dcm so good luck with that.
    ps nows my chance to get further ahead in the 1000 mile challenge ! famous last words........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Bummer on the injury kennyb3 luckly its not too serious - hopefully you be back soon enough.

well after 10 days off and two physio sessions, i went out for a very light 5km jog with the OH last nite. great to pull on a pair of shorts and t shirt again. really enjoyed the run. was tempted to take today off as a precautionary rest/recupperation day but if its nice weather this evening i might do another slow 5km or so.

good to be back. thinking of doing the 10km in the phoenix park sunday week altho will see how the leg is, dont want to rush things

6.5km in 31 mins, good bit slower than normal, but just took it as i felt it.

really glad to be back running and injury free. day off tomorrow and away sat and sun so not sure how much running i ll do. a break will do me no harm anyway.

going to step it up next week and start this marathon training proper.Come on!!!:)

I guess one of the main rerasons I started keeping this log was to track my progress and monitor what im doing right and wrong (and hopefully have others do the same). So while out injured I had a look back at my weekly mileage and it is as follows:

w/e 06/03/09 - 36 miles
    w/e 13/03/09 - 11 miles
    w/e 20/03/09 - 9.3 miles
    w/e 27/03/09 - 23.5 miles
    w/e 03/04/09 - 6.2 miles
    w/e 10/04/09 - 29.6 miles

I basically have no excuses for the weeks of 11 and 9.3 miles, the 6.2 miles week i was injured which is fair enough.

Over the 6 week i ve averaged just over 19 miles which isnt good enough basically, im capable of doing at least 30.

Football has got in the way also and im going to have a think this weekend about not going back.

I want to do the DCM 2009 and want to do it well. im near sub 20 for 5km (20:21), done a 1hr 39min half (both in training) off feck all mileage so it really would be a shame if i didnt give this a decent go.

will do some thinking over the weekend and try to follow more structured training in future rather than doing what i want when i want.

I know im babbling on but i think its come to the time when i have to say am i going to this right or not at all!!

now is the time alright. its almost 6 months to the day to DCM09. a nice round number. and a good time to get more organised. ok have one final weekend off.;)

now is the time alright. its almost 6 months to the day to DCM09. a nice round number. and a good time to get more organised. ok have one final weekend off.;)
    so you can get further ahead on that 1000 mile challenge? i will have to rack up some miles on the threadmill in the hotel!! i would love to go for a run today but have to go for few pints after work with one of the lads leaving

• Advertisement

5km on the dreadmill while away at the weekend. i really really dont like them, much prefer running outside and going somewhere. plus its less humid and sweaty.

10km planned for 2nite. proper training starts this week

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement