Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A passion for running and cycling

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Im looking at upgrading to a new bike in the next few weeks. Browsing online looking at full carbons - i'd want to get that idea out of my head swiftly unless im robbing money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Im looking at upgrading to a new bike in the next few weeks. Browsing online looking at full carbons - i'd want to get that idea out of my head swiftly unless im robbing money!
    Any idea what you ll upgrade to. I browse new bikes at least once a week. I'd love to buy a new race machine come the end of march when the weather picks up and use the old one as a winter hack. Funds of course are the biggest issue and i ve alot of stuff coming up. i ll have to get clearanace from herself first

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

I too was mad to get a nice race machine, picked this one out last Aug, been paying it off in installments since, hoping to have it by end of March :)

http://www.komcyclery.com.au/308-437-thickbox/giant-tcr-composite-1.jpg

I too was mad to get a nice race machine, picked this one out last Aug, been paying it off in installments since, hoping to have it by end of March :)

http://www.komcyclery.com.au/308-437-thickbox/giant-tcr-composite-1.jpg
    Gorgeous bike. good luck with keeping it clean, i wouldnt be bringing that out on a wet day. Who did you buy from?

Sun 6th - cycling

25km @ 26.9km/ph.

Took my bike from malahide to skerries. Windier than yesterday and half way through i got soaked through - the joys of the irish climate.

Cycling YTD: 210.4 km / 6 cycles
    Running YTD: 73.7 m / 15 run

• Advertisement

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Gorgeous bike. good luck with keeping it clean, i wouldnt be bringing that out on a wet day. Who did you buy from?

Brought it out yesterday and it lashed for every minute of the 3.5 hours! I always wipe my bike down with baby wipes after every ride. Got it in Tulsk Co. Rocommon, a small bike shop there.

Mon 7th - running

4.7m @ 8.10p/m

Cycling YTD: 210.4 km / 6 cycles
    Running YTD: 78.4 m / 16 run

Wed 9th - cycling

21.4km @ 24.8km/ph

Night time cylce around skerries, up the hill at ardgillan over to balbriggan and back again. Didnt get as much as i wanted in as half way through i got a blow out from hitting a pothole thanks to car leaving me no room to avoid it. tried bunny hopping it but it was too late. Thankfully there was a street lamp so changing the tube was alot easier than in total darkness.

Wet night and nearly came down a couple of times, esp descending on 23's off the hill.

Hope to start commuting a bit next week.

Cycling YTD: 231.8 km / 7 cycles

Sat 12th - cycling

78.9km @ 28.0km/ph

Got up early with the OH who was going to work and headed out. It was a bit frosty and cold at first but grand. Was half asleep for the first half hour.I was trying to figure out what was wrong with my legs or was there a problem with my speedo as i was going slow - then i woke up and copped id been slowly climbing a gradual incline into the wind. After that i stop pushing it and just settled into it saving the legs

Did Skerries - Lusk - Malahide - Sutton - Clontarf - Malahide - Lusk - Skerries.

Highlight was definitely the sun rising over the estuary around malahide. That and no punctures or much wind!

Pleasnatly surprised by the average speed, more so because i wasnt pushing as i was just trying to keep it steady really and not blow the legs.

Loads of cyclists out and a great bright sunny morning for it. Time for some shopping now followed by the rugby!

Cycling YTD: 310.7 km / 8 cycles

Sun 13th - running

Just went out and gave it a good smack.

5m @ 6.57 p/m

Running YTD: 83.4 m / 17 run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Mon14th - running

3.7m @ some unknown super slow pace. Doms from the cycle and run the previous 2 days (more the run).

Running YTD: 87.1 m / 18 runs

Hi KB, just wondering are you getting out on the club spins these days? If so what are they doing? From what I remember last year they would be doing hills by now. Will you be doing any A4 races this year or just concentrate on the club league.

Hi KB, just wondering are you getting out on the club spins these days? If so what are they doing? From what I remember last year they would be doing hills by now. Will you be doing any A4 races this year or just concentrate on the club league.
    Hi El_D, havent been out with the club yet as sat was the first time i ve felt like i ve had any sort of cycling legs. I cant this weekend but may start getting out with them the following weekend.

Plan is defo to do some A4 races, but i ll wait till mid summer. Its a long aul season and im in no rush (and no shape) for march/april. I havent been getting out as much as i want mideweek and havent done any hill work but im back to my own apartment next week which means commuting is easier and howth is an option during the week.

I ll just keep building a base till mid march then crank up the hill repeats and intervals and start into the club league in the 3rd or 4th race. Im sure ill see you at a few and some of the A4 races.

Hi El_D, havent been out with the club yet as sat was the first time i ve felt like i ve had any sort of cycling legs. I cant this weekend but may start getting out with them the following weekend.

Plan is defo to do some A4 races, but i ll wait till mid summer. Its a long aul season and im in no rush (and no shape) for march/april. I havent been getting out as much as i want mideweek and havent done any hill work but im back to my own apartment next week which means commuting is easier and howth is an option during the week.

I ll just keep building a base till mid march then crank up the hill repeats and intervals and start into the club league in the 3rd or 4th race. Im sure ill see you at a few and some of the A4 races.

Was thinking about it yesterday and I think I will just do the club league this year and see how I like it. I have enough races and expense as is :rolleyes: I am pretty much the same as yourself except I have got out for my long spins the last 4 weeks. I wasn't going to start hill work until April (Build 1 phase) but going to bring it forward now 1 month to March (Base 3 phase)

Sorry, I just noticed your question on my log-thought I had answered it, will do today-need to update anyway!

Was thinking about it yesterday and I think I will just do the club league this year and see how I like it. I have enough races and expense as is :rolleyes: I am pretty much the same as yourself except I have got out for my long spins the last 4 weeks. I wasn't going to start hill work until April (Build 1 phase) but going to bring it forward now 1 month to March (Base 3 phase)

Sorry, I just noticed your question on my log-thought I had answered it, will do today-need to update anyway!
    By all accounts A4 races are fairly boring, no one is strong enough to get away and i ve no sprint what so ever. So id imagine i ll do a few out of interest and get bored fairly sharpish. They should be useful to bring myself along (esp bike handling skills and tactics) and hopefully that will help with the club league which i think will be far more exciting.

I hear ya on costs - i ve spent so much on gear over last few months winterising my bike and gear and now its spring a gilet and knee warmers arrived yesterday. The full competition licence is fairly steep at €120 plus there is club membership and the league fees. I owe a few quid for club gear too. Shold have never got interested in all this cycling lark. If it keeps going this way i ll be walking around wearing a bin liner but cycling a flash carbon bike

Just to answer you question on the bike KB. It is most def stiffer and lighter. I found it easier going up hills, now I'm not fit yet so I couldn't realy go hard but it felt twitchy, like it wanted to go fast. It also seemed very responsive. Worth the money? Too early to say. What are you looking at?

Good to hear. I'd say a good bike makes a huge difference. My one is literally in bits after the winter -needs a good service. What i want changes everyday depending on budget. I can see myself getting the canyon CF 8.0 in white but that will prob change. I cant afford it right now but i ll wait see.

Wed 16th - cycling

26.9km @ 26km/ph

Took in a couple of climbs - ardgillen and a climb out the back of balbriggan towards balscadden. My back break was rubbing on the first one which was a pain. My back wheel is slightly buckled from last wednesdays pothole incident i could feel it when rolling during last saturdays long spin. The legs are slowly coming back.

Was dry for most of it which makes a huge difference safety wise in the dark.

Hope to get out sunday afternoon for another long one.

Cycling YTD: 337.6 km / 9 cycles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Wed 16th - cycling

26.9km @ 26km/ph

Took in a couple of climbs - ardgillen and a climb out the back of balbriggan towards balscadden. My back break was rubbing on the first one which was a pain. My back wheel is slightly buckled from last wednesdays pothole incident i could feel it when rolling during last saturdays long spin. The legs are slowly coming back.

Was dry for most of it which makes a huge difference safety wise in the dark.

Hope to get out sunday afternoon for another long one.

Hey,

Just read your training and looks like were training for the same things ,

my list for this year is

- few duathlons
    - few adventure races like WAR and ROAR
    -Wicklow 200
    -maybe an A4 race or two to see what its all about

Last year furthest spin was 100kms

Im just down road from ya in Portmarnock so gimme a shout if ya wanna get some long spins going, I find anything over an hour just gets boring on your own

For long rides I'd be looking to go early Sat or Sun mornings and get them out of the way , got a 2 week yr old baby so need to train around her - I think there are some lads who go from Swords early doors on weekends could join them

• Advertisement

Hi Dario,

I'd normally go out myself with swords on a sat morning, but havent lately as only getting back into it. You should defo come down if you havent been already.

I wont be out this sat and will be mid afternoon sunday but i ll bear you in mind next time i head out if its not with the club. I ll also be starting to head for howth next week a night a week until it gets bright and then every second night at least once the evenings are bright if you fancy it?

Hi Dario,

I'd normally go out myself with swords on a sat morning, but havent lately as only getting back into it. You should defo come down if you havent been already.

I wont be out this sat and will be mid afternoon sunday but i ll bear you in mind next time i head out if its not with the club. I ll also be starting to head for howth next week a night a week until it gets bright and then every second night at least once the evenings are bright if you fancy it?

Yeah cool keep me posted on any spins

Haven't been out with swords people yet so would be good to head over with someone who knows where to meet etc

dario28 wrote: »
    Yeah cool keep me posted on any spins

Haven't been out with swords people yet so would be good to head over with someone who knows where to meet etc
    Cool will PM you.

Re swords - meet at blakes cross on sat morning, just hang the right towards lusk and there will be people hanging around into the left (the freight company yard). anyone is welcome to turn up, departs half 8 and if your starting just hang out the back and explain that you are new. You ll get the hang of it fairly quickly. Evrybody is generally very nice.

Thurs 17th - running

4.5m @ 7.58p/m. Juts an easy run to turn the legs over

Running YTD: 91.6 m / 19 runs

The title refers to days to the first club league race. I need to put it up there for motivation.

Figured i'd have a bad weekend and i did - missed my long cycle - just didnt have time. Was out friday evening for a birthday, up sat morning and on a course from 9 to 5 in the carlton hotel then out for my own birthday with the girlfriend.

Sunday was a case of moving back to our apartment and it seemed to take forever so a long bike was not an option. All day Sat on the course i was admiring how nice it was out and passed the lads from the club on the way to the course - hard to take. Obviously sunday would be a shocker and so it turned out. So i settled on a run rather than being blown off howth. The run was even tough against the wind so it was a good decision.

Anyway im back in Malahide so no excuses now - I can commute and howth is back on my doorstep, so its really time to HTFU get up early and commute and start getting the miles in.

Anyway

5m @ 8.05p/m.

Running YTD: 96.6 m / 20 runs

Mon 21st - running

5m @ 8.04 p/m.

Twas my b'day so got out to run off the cake. Got a new pair of cycling shoes - specialized pro road off the GF - savage looking, cant wait to try them. Also the bike mount and cadence sensor for my forerunner 305 arrived.

Tuesday 22nd - AM - Cycling

18km @ 27.8km/ph

Back commuting and a great morning for it too, if every morning was like that it would be great

Cycling YTD: 355.6 km / 9 cycles
    Running YTD: 101.6 m / 21 runs

Mon 21st - running

5m @ 8.04 p/m.

Twas my b'day so got out to run off the cake. Got a new pair of cycling shoes - specialized pro road off the GF - savage looking, cant wait to try them. Also the bike mount and cadence sensor for my forerunner 305 arrived.

Tuesday 22nd - AM - Cycling

18km @ 27.8km/ph

Back commuting and a great morning for it too, if every morning was like that it would be great

Cycling YTD: 355.6 km / 9 cycles
    Running YTD: 101.6 m / 21 runs

Happy b-day

Also ordered new shoes hopefully here by the weekend - I broke euro rules and didn't order White though !

Are ya interested in a quick 60kms sat/sun morning

dario28 wrote: »
    Happy b-day

Also ordered new shoes hopefully here by the weekend - I broke euro rules and didn't order White though !

Are ya interested in a quick 60kms sat/sun morning
    Thanks Dario!Yep possibly Saturday! I ve to go into the city at some stage but im waiting to hear back what time, i ll make contact once i know. What time had you in mind? Would half 7 be a bit early?

Thanks Dario!Yep possibly Saturday! I ve to go into the city at some stage but im waiting to hear back what time, i ll make contact once i know. What time had you in mind? Would half 7 be a bit early?

I had early in mind as well - cool let me know closer to weekend

• Advertisement

I had early in mind as well that's quite early mind you-but cool let me know closer to weekend

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement