Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A passion for running and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Tuesday 22nd - PM - Cycling

19.5km @ 27.8km/ph

Commute home, got stuck at alot of lights getting out the main road then absolutely hammered it for 10 mins before easing off and spinning home.

Cycling YTD: 375.1 km / 11 cycles
    Running YTD: 101.6 m / 21 runs

Thursday 24th - AM - Cycling

18km @ 27.0km/ph

Nice and steady, my legs were still tired after tuesday which shows i need to get out on the bike more often.

Cycling YTD: 393.1 km / 12 cycles

Thursday 24th - PM - Cycling

Extended the commute home

29km @ 28.6km/ph

So much more dangerous coming home than going in in the morning, you defo have to have your withs about you. Legs getting better day by day, i generally find it takes about 900km before i start feeling strong again.

Cycling YTD: 422.1 km / 13 cycles

Sautrday 26th - Cycling

65km @ 27km/ph

Met up with dario28, and we went to skerries via lusk, on to balbriggan and up the 5 roads hill, ballyboughal and home again. First time up a proper hill this year and it was tough, my HR spiked massively.

Great to have some company, the km's ticked away and it was an absolutely fabulous morning - prob the best morning for cycling this year. Really enjoyed it and great to be home and all by 10 although getting up at half 6 on a day off is no mean feat.

Cycling YTD: 487.1 km / 14 cycles

Sunday 27th

Went out for a mountain bike with the girlfriend around malahide park and took in the trails. Was a good leg loosener. Looped around to portmarnock and home.

Monday 28th - AM

18.7km @ 27.5km/ph

A crisp lung opening morning but after the first 5 mins it was a highly enjoyable spin in.

Cycling YTD: 505.8 km / 15 cycles

• Advertisement

Monday 28th - PM

20.1 km @ 28.3 km/ph

Commute home.

Quick turnaround and back out the door for a quick jaunt. Twas cold and my back light is now dead so will have to get a new battery.

14.5km @ 30.3km/ph

53.3km for the day, good start to the week

Cycling YTD: 540.4 km / 16 cycles

Wednesday 28th - AM

18.7km @ 28.5 km/ph

Even colder than Monday but i was grand after the initial 5 minutes. The tights I have are snug but i need a warmer pair of gloves for the really cold mornings.

Still I love when its dry and bright like this morning and that crisp air on the lungs. Got caught in just about every set of lights though. Havent had a good commuter race in ages, hopefully going home.

Cycling YTD: 559.1 km / 17 cycles

Wednesday 28th - PM

20km @ 29 km/ph

Spun out of drumcondra then hammered it for a bit for some threshold work - covered 13km @ 31.4km/ph even with traffic, then just spun the rest of the way home.

Off out for dinner now, just as well im doing all this cycling as my diet the last 4-5days has been terrible, whereas the last few months its gradually been improving.

Cycling YTD: 579.1 km / 18 cycles

Took a night off as feel a cold coming on - so sat down and watched the ireland cricket match id taped - inspirational stuff, absolutely phenomenal!!ridiculous stuff from Kevin O Brien. I don't think there is many sports i wouldn't watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

You are shaping up nicely man for the road season. I can't wait to do my first club race, I must sign up for marshalling duties too now that I think of it.

I live right beside where I work so no point in commuting, you seem to be a nice distance from work, not too far and far enough to make taking the bike out worth while. Glad to hear the legs are coming around too.

• Advertisement

You are shaping up nicely man for the road season. I can't wait to do my first club race, I must sign up for marshalling duties too now that I think of it.

I live right beside where I work so no point in commuting, you seem to be a nice distance from work, not too far and far enough to make taking the bike out worth while. Glad to hear the legs are coming around too.
    Thanks dude, just signed up myself earlier this week for the marshalling. Im prob the only nut who chose to marshal on the flat Bog of the Ring circuit but that one just doesnt suit me.

Yeah its a perfect distance alright, helps get base miles in for spring. Will prob end up knocking a lot of it on the head mid summer so i do proper training and not overdoing it flying in.

Any plans for a spin this weekend? I should be out about half 8 to half 12 sunday (back for Man U v Liverpool) if you fancy it? just saw you are racing Sat. Best of luck dude

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Thanks dude, just signed up myself earlier this week for the marshalling. Im prob the only nut who chose to marshal on the flat Bog of the Ring circuit but that one just doesnt suit me.

Yeah its a perfect distance alright, helps get base miles in for spring. Will prob end up knocking a lot of it on the head mid summer so i do proper training and not overdoing it flying in.

Any plans for a spin this weekend? I should be out about half 8 to half 12 sunday (back for Man U v Liverpool) if you fancy it? just saw you are racing Sat. Best of luck dude

Thanks for flagging that for me-the flater the better for me so I will def be racing those ones.

I will be around next Saturday for a spin if you fancy it dude.

Thanks for flagging that for me-the flater the better for me so I will def be racing those ones.

I will be around next Saturday for a spin if you fancy it dude.
    Im actually away for the weekend the following weekend but we should be able to organise something the following weekend. I ll get in contact with you closer to the time

Sunday 6th March

90km @ 28.8 km/ph

A thoroughly enjoyable lengthy solo spin.

Route was malahide-donabate-lusk-skerries-balbriggan-naul-ballyboughal-airport- portmarnock-sutton-clontarf - malahide.

It was a grand morning for it, bit drizzly and cold but otherwise fine. The last 15km or so my thighs were screaming at me. Felt decent enough all the way through and fuelled it well.

Wore my new shoes for first time and absolutely love them, my other ones were prob a size too big so between the snugger feel and the carbon sole riding just felt that little bit nicer and easier.

My bike on the other hand is in bits, needs a thorough service, some serious creaks out of it for the last 10km or so - it was embarrassing really.

I finished off with a 10k TT as i just wanted to get home.

Cycling YTD: 669.1 km / 19 cycles

Tuesday 8th March - AM

19km @ 27.2 km/ph

Strangest cycle ever - my legs just wouldnt work for the first half of it or at least thats how it felt. They were still stiff after sunday due to no stretches or recovery spin, but they've never felt like that before. I was also half asleep and prob over layered top and bottom with the frost out. Im not really sure what it was. I was only taking it handy but they felt like sh*te. Around half way through they felt okay again which was weird.

A trip to dunnes for a 50c pair of magic gloves as an inner glove, saved 40e on an expensive pair of heavy lined gloves. The fingers were toasty. Got my first puncture of the year too, hopefully its last for a while

Cycling YTD: 687.1 km / 19 cycles

Tuesday 8th March - PM

19.3km @ 29.3 km/ph

The wind took me home i only had to spin gently most of the way which suited me fine. Must get out for a run tomorrow, as half thinking of doing the fingal duathlon sat week

Cycling YTD: 706.4 km / 21 cycles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Tuesday 8th March - PM

19.3km @ 29.3 km/ph

The wind took me home i only had to spin gently most of the way which suited me fine. Must get out for a run tomorrow, as half thinking of doing the fingal duathlon sat week

I might give that duathlon a crack , have ya got a link for it

dario28 wrote: »
    I might give that duathlon a crack , have ya got a link for it

Ya 'half' thinking of doing it for myself. Here you go Dario http://www.fingaltri.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=125&Itemid=90

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Looks like we could have a few doing that race then, some healthy competition.

Edit: If you guys fancy it we could do a 2/3 hour spin after?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Get practicing running up and down hills lads. It one ****er of a hill. I think running down it is harder than up it.

I think I'm going to do it aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Ah it's day after my mates 30th- never going to happen

Was thinkin of 80km spin this weekend if any of you are interested

Id be up fpr that if i end up doing it, have to see if my running legs are still working before i decide!

nomadic wrote: »
    Get practicing running up and down hills lads. It one ****er of a hill. I think running down it is harder than up it.

I think I'm going to do it aswell.
    I use to play for a soccer team that trained out at the community centre there, and if we were hammered we were made do repeats of that hill the following week almost till we puked. I f'in hate that hill

Wednesday 9th March

3.7m @ 8.20p/m

Just a gentle run around to get the legs use to running again

Running YTD: 105.3 m / 22 runs

That sounds great, I will make my mind up next week re this.

I knew this wouldnt be a great week at the outset and so its turning out - a series of important work meetings mean i ve had to miss my commute. I'd planned to get one in tomorrow but after bringing home all the gear i keep in work yesterday, i forgot it this morning as my head was elsewhere. Im away this weekend too.

The good news is i should finish my base work next week with decent cycles thurs, sat and sunday on top of whatever commuting i do. I hope to make it my biggest week on the bike to date.

After that it will be back to the old stomping ground and continuous repeats of howth, the 5 roads hill and the like. I ll try start some 2min, 5min and 10min interval work too.

Friday 11th

51.5km @ 29.5 km/ph

Delighted i went out and took on the rain, wind (it wasnt too windy actually) and dark, a great session for mental strength. I really dont think you can beat the roads - a good set of tights and lights and bobs your uncle. Really wanted to get this in with not having cycled since tuesday and being away all weekend.

Cycled up to the parents and collected some new tyres i had delivered there (CSS and their bloody wednes deals - i ll be ruined :D)

Averaged about 28.5km/ph on way out and 32km/ph back.

Interestingly i wore my old shoes and the difference between them and the new ones is unreal. i never realised how lose they were actually - they totally ruin my upstroke, and the sole is far too flexible.

I ll keep training with my shi't wheels and shoes as i ll keep the placebo effect for when i stick on the ksyrium's and good shoes.

Cycling YTD: 757.5 km / 22 cycles

Are the krysuims any good? How much and where did you get them as i seen a new pair on offer for €199 today which seemed reasonable.

Are the krysuims any good? How much and where did you get them as i seen a new pair on offer for €199 today which seemed reasonable.
    199? seems very cheap, i think they are 500+ on crc, for the elite's anyway. i bought a second hand of elites with about 600km on them for 250e incl a cassette. I ve yet to use them but i know from others they are very stiff, much lighter than my bog standard giant wheels, and have aero spokes. i cant wait to try them esp climbing up howth were my wheels flex like f'uck

• Advertisement

Local bike shop had them on sale although i must check the exact model and compare them to CRC and wiggle prices.

Edit: It actually looks like they are the 2011 elites looking at the photos.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement