Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A passion for running and cycling

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Local bike shop had them on sale although i must check the exact model and compare them to CRC and wiggle prices.

Edit: It actually looks like they are the 2011 elites looking at the photos.
    Defo check it out so. if they are 199 i ll go up and clean them out myself and sell them onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Friday 11th

51.5km @ 29.5 km/ph

Delighted i went out and took on the rain, wind (it wasnt too windy actually) and dark, a great session for mental strength. I really dont think you can beat the roads - a good set of tights and lights and bobs your uncle. Really wanted to get this in with not having cycled since tuesday and being away all weekend.

Cycled up to the parents and collected some new tyres i had delivered there (CSS and their bloody wednes deals - i ll be ruined :D)

Averaged about 28.5km/ph on way out and 32km/ph back.

Interestingly i wore my old shoes and the difference between them and the new ones is unreal. i never realised how lose they were actually - they totally ruin my upstroke, and the sole is far too flexible.

I ll keep training with my shi't wheels and shoes as i ll keep the placebo effect for when i stick on the ksyrium's and good shoes.

Cycling YTD: 757.5 km / 22 cycles
    Running YTD: 101.6 m / 21 runs

Fair play KB for getting out last evening. As you said good mental strength training. I headed out for an 18k run and it was horrible but was determined to get it done. Actually this time last year I was actively working on mental toughness by doing mountain runs and stuff, I must do a couple before the season starts.

Fair play KB for getting out last evening. As you said good mental strength training. I headed out for an 18k run and it was horrible but was determined to get it done. Actually this time last year I was actively working on mental toughness by doing mountain runs and stuff, I must do a couple before the season starts.
    Thanks El_D yeah read that on your log, fair play to you as well as it was properly horrible out. Some run to go on only being back hope you took it easy and the legs are alright today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Just catching up.

Good to see things are going well for you. We must meet up for a cycle or two after I get a few weeks base in. Or a run.

Have you knocked the swimming on the head?

Hope the Fingal Duathlon goes/went well for you.

Macanri wrote: »
    Just catching up.

Good to see things are going well for you. We must meet up for a cycle or two after I get a few weeks base in. Or a run.

Have you knocked the swimming on the head?

Hope the Fingal Duathlon goes/went well for you.
    Hi Mac, been away so only getting back to you. Yeah id be on for a run or a cycle anytime, just give me a shout.

Been lazy about the swimming - always putting it off. But to be fair at the moment i just want to focus on the swords league races so cycling is taking favour.

Doubt i ll do the duathlon now, just havent run enough lately and prob do a long bike instead.

• Advertisement

B'astards is all i can say. Took about 20mins per rim to get new tyres set up! I'd heard they were notoriously bad but feck me that was a pain. fingers hanging off me now. Only got a lap of the block in as a result. They are only 5's but they roll up nice, make a cool sound and the new ultremo R tyres seem excellent. Cant wait for a long spin thursday now. Bike serviced too so all good

Winter rims into the shed now for smashing up next year.

Thats my bike spending done for some time (in case the OH is reading). Just waiting on a new saddle to arrive:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

B'astards is all i can say. Took about 20mins per rim to get new tyres set up! I'd heard they were notoriously bad but feck me that was a pain. fingers hanging off me now. Only got a lap of the block in as a result. They are only 5's but they roll up nice, make a cool sound and the new ultremo R tyres seem excellent. Cant wait for a long spin thursday now. Bike serviced too so all good

Thats my bike spending done for some time (in case the OH is reading). Just waiting on a new saddle to arrive:)

Did ya not use tyre levers ?

Saturday spin ???

dario28 wrote: »
    Did ya not use tyre levers ?

Saturday spin ???
    used the levers after a while, i usually avoid them so as not to risk pinching but needed them tonight. will get back to you re sat closer to the time, might offer to marshal the fingal duathlon as i know they are short a few marshals.

Thurs 16th

Very enjoyable spin up and over howth. Enjoyed the new rims and tyres - no flex in the rims when climbing unlike my old ones.

Unfortunately i ve some serious work to do is as my time was pure s'hite up the hill - less than my first time up it last year but well over a minute more than my best last year. I just spun easy home as the plan is to get 2hours in tomorrow morning.

26km @ 28.5 km/ph

Cycling YTD: 783.5 km / 23 cycles

Thurs 17th

Got approx 1.5hrs of good quality in. I knew there was a strong enough wind against me last night over howth but i was really surprised to spin up it 50 seconds quicker this morning on tired legs. Goes to show how much of a difference the wind makes on that hill. Feel alot happier now.

Pushed hard for the first hour then took it handy enough. Should have got up earlier as all the looney drivers were out.

Got a puncture too which was a pain as it really broke the cycle up.

43.5km @ 29.6 km/ph

Cycling YTD: 827 km / 24 cycles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

fair play kb you're training away nicely on the bike. dont forget you're a deffo 10km sub 40 man that has yet to go sub 40 :-)

ps the above made me laugh. reminds me of that 'only fools and horses' episode when trigger? was talking about his sweeping brush. he said he had it for 20 years..................mind you, he then said it had 7 new heads and 4 new handles in that time :p.

keep it up.

Cheers man. Love my only fools and horses - and thats one of the best lines from it, absolutely quality. i ll hit the sub 40 in october.

Sat 19th

Up early and spun out and hooked up with the club. Was very interested to see where i was fitness wise and how i felt. Very happy now as i felt really great all the - took 3 strong turns on the front, including one tough one over the 3 sisters.

Then exactly as id hoped the pace cranked up big time on the good flat roads around the airport - this is the main reason i went down as i need to get the race surges into the legs now. We averaged about 45km/ph over about 5km doing up and overs and id no problem coming through and do my turn.:) Actually i had a couple of shouts at me for going through too hard - over eagerness!

Got a bit of advice on this at a later set of lights, which is the other advantage of going out with the club. Few of the lads were saying i was going very well for someone who hadnt been down this year so all them km's on my own are paid off.

Definitely still need some more hill work though so there ll be plenty of spins over howth before i start racing. I think i ll mix up going out with the club and on my own. Alot of freewheeling with the group but great for the things outlined above. Good for strength and endurance going on my own and its clearly showing.

I left the lads at swords and did another 45mins myself to take it up to the 100km.

100.1km @ 29.6 km/ph

Cycling YTD: 927.1 km / 25 cycles

Sun 20th

35.4km @ 29.0 km/ph

A nice spin down around howth and along the sea front at clontarf. Tough climbing howth on tired legs after yesterday and was very surprised to see a quicker time than the other day (9.30) even though i only really tried to spin up. should do my first sub 9 fairly soon on fresh legs.

Might rest tomorrow, legs are tired.

Cycling YTD: 962.5 km / 26 cycles
    Running YTD: 101.6 m / 21 run
    s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

Nice work yesterday KB on hitting the ton. I would love to get out myself with the club soon just to see where I am and if I could stay with the group when the pace is picked up. Starting hill work myself next Saturday, I will post details of that in my log next week.

Mon 21st

25.7km @ 30.1 km/ph

First proper TT effort up howth and broke the sub 9 (did 8.58) i couldnt get last summer:) Not bad after 135km the last two days.

Felt like rolling over into the ditch at the top. An enjoyable spin all round apart from the pain. Very dark but surprisingly warm.

205km since last wednesday, which is the reason im flying. Will do 2-3 easy commutes between now and the weekend to recover the legs and get the benefit of the work done.

Cycling YTD: 988.2 km / 27 cycles

Tues 22nd - AM

19km @ 27.7 km/ph

Handy commute. Gorgeous morning, a joy to be cycling into work rather than stuck in the car. Legs are wrecked.

Cycling YTD: 1,007.2 km / 28 cycles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Good going KB i hope to be heading down Howth direction in the next while on one of my Long Spins to "tackle the hill"

Good going KB i hope to be heading down Howth direction in the next while on one of my Long Spins to "tackle the hill"
    Ah its a grand hill there is a few parts where it flattens out, if you want a test go down to the village and up the hill at the golf shop and then take a right at the church. feew hundred metres up the road it ramps up to 16% for a bit. That will get the HR up!

Tues 22nd - PM

20km @ 31.4 km/ph

Spin home, put the hammer down for 5k in the middle before hitting the traffic around malahide.

Cycling YTD: 1,027.2 km / 29 cycles
    Running YTD: 101.6 m / 21 run
    s

• Advertisement

Thurs 24th - AM

19km @ 31.1 km/ph

Another sunny happy morning. Traffic was s'hit driving home yesterday and i really regretted not cycling in.

Cycling YTD: 1,046.2 km / 30 cycles

Thurs 24th - PM

33.8km @ 29.8km/ph

Extended the commute home and took in a lap of howth. Had good fun cycling today - loads of little things

1) A bin lorry pulled in but remarkably only blocked up the bus lane and left the cycling lane free. I thanked the lads
    2) Had a good chat with a couple of other sound cyclists while waiting on the train gates at sutton cross
    3) I handed a guy his ass in a commuter race. He was very annoying - kept catching me at lights and trying to overtake me as they went green only for me to accelerate past him again.
    4) Went up howth in 9.30 with my ruck sack on the back and into a good head wind
    5) Got to see the sun set cycling home

Cant wait to crack out the shorts and short sleeve tops. Loving cycling.

Its been a good last 8 days - 323km in total.

Im tempted by the race on saturday in lucan but plenty in the club have advised me to stay clear of A4 races early in the year as its silly season and full of crashes. Hmm what to do.. Also not sure if i'd be ready, i remeber rocking up to a league race two years ago when i first started cycling and getting dropped fairly swiftly at 36km/ph (admittedly id only done 500km at the time and was as green as grass).

Im miles ahead of that now but i know from the few league races i did last year 38-40km/ph is a total different ball game to 30 - 32km/ph even if it is on your own. Hard to call, might be better waiting for the league races first

Cycling YTD: 1,080 km / 31 cycles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

perfect weather these days for it.

perfect weather these days for it.
    Yep, although another 10 degrees warmer would be nice so i could top up the tan lines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Im tempted by the race on saturday in lucan but plenty in the club have advised me to stay clear of A4 races early in the year as its silly season and full of crashes. Hmm what to do.. Also not sure if i'd be ready, i remeber rocking up to a league race two years ago when i first started cycling and getting dropped fairly swiftly at 36km/ph (admittedly id only done 500km at the time and was as green as grass).

Im miles ahead of that now but i know from the few league races i did last year 38-40km/ph is a total different ball game to 30 - 32km/ph even if it is on your own. Hard to call, might be better waiting for the league races first

I don't think there's been that many crashes this year in A4. You'd be unlucky to get caught by one. I wouldn't let that put you off racing tomorrow. Go for it.

nomadic wrote: »
    I don't think there's been that many crashes this year in A4. You'd be unlucky to get caught by one. I wouldn't let that put you off racing tomorrow. Go for it.
    Cheers dude, decided im going to give it a belt and see what happens. Not sure a flat course will suit but prob best for my 1st one. Will try hang on for as long as possible to the group and no doubt it will bring me on.

I know from the 3 league races i did last year, each one seen a massive leap forward.

Cheers dude, decided im going to give it a belt and see what happens. Not sure a flat course will suit but prob best for my 1st one. Will try hang on for as long as possible to the group and no doubt it will bring me on.

I know from the 3 league races i did last year, each one seen a massive leap forward.

Nice one.

I was trying to convince El D to give it a go. I'm not sure if he is though.

nomadic wrote: »
    Nice one.

I was trying to convince El D to give it a go. I'm not sure if he is though.
    Thanks man, i ve been following your log, your horsing your way around A3. You're obviously strong as an ox with the mountain biking background.

How are you set for Gorey?

Thanks man, i ve been following your log, your horsing your way around A3. You're obviously strong as an ox with the mountain biking background.

How are you set for Gorey?

Cheers,
    A big couple of weeks coming up in training for Gorey. I have no idea how the race will go but the training has gone as well as can be expected and I'm really looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Hey kb, where do the lads meet at 8.30 on the Saturday. At the garage at blakes cross?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement