Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A passion for running and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Hey kb, where do the lads meet at 8.30 on the Saturday. At the garage at blakes cross?
    Only logged on now sorry jb, just at the turn toward lusk there at blakes cross. There is a freight company depot where they pull in. Im sure you ll spot them anyway if you dont get this in time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

I hope you avoided the crash. One lad in my club came down but only suffered a little cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Only logged on now sorry jb, just at the turn toward lusk there at blakes cross. There is a freight company depot where they pull in. Im sure you ll spot them anyway if you dont get this in time

No worries i spotted them as i passed by just caught them before they headed off. Good group of lads and they know their stuff!!

How did you get on at Lucan today?

nomadic wrote: »
    I hope you avoided the crash. One lad in my club came down but only suffered a little cut.
    Man i think we cursed me. Someone road straight into the back of me (about 750m to go) and i came down taking a heap with me - have a nice tyre mark over the back and all. Skinned to bits now and sore but nothing broken apart from a wheel. Figured the front would be safer after seeing some of the lunatic riding going on - obviously not. Was in about 10th and feeling good at the time.

Will post a proper report when i get more time

Hurt but hooked!! Cant sleep with the road rash on the leg and back so may as well right this now.

Got there early yesterday, bumped into a lad i'd done some club league races with last year and chatted to him which calmed the nerves. We did a warm up together which was a 13km cycle out and back to find the finish line (for him obviously). He's a strong cyclist (got 7th yesterday and had a decent go a a break on 2nd lap) and we were tipping along warming up and i already felt i was holding him back. This didnt bode well.

Anyway we came back chatted to some other swords lads - all doing the A3 - and the races went off. My primary concern was not to get too far back but i did find myself 2/3rds of the way back but with plenty behind.

To be honest the race itself was miles easier than expected. Beforehand i would of taken getting around a lap but by the second lap i was getting up towards the front of the bunch. Im still not sure if the first few miles were neutralised or not - i was constantly on my toes for the pace surge but it never came. There was a bit of a sprint out of the first roundabout so maybe that was it.

I kept an eye on Ryaner the other swords lad and didnt let him get out of sight. The pace was really up and down. Sprinting out of corners only for everyone to jam on. Found it very weird riding 3 or 4 or even 5 abreast, id be use to the 2 clean lines of the swords league. I kept myself in and to the left and out of trouble.

First lap was uneventful and i was just taking it all in. Only had to push once to keep with the wheel in front and that was up the very small hill 2/3rds of way round but was nowhere near the limit.

Second lap was lots of attacks and chasing for the sake of chasing before slowing down. Ryaner tried a break but it didnt stick. A4 is incredibly negative. I moved up as much as i could now as a few gaps appeared and few people got tired and i feared a split if the pace went up. The riding got steadily crazier with lads constantly fanned out across the road both sides of it. I think one or two nearly clipped a pulled in car at one stage. One guy came up and tried to go between me and another guy when there wasnt any gap at all.

Over the mini lump the 2nd time and the adrenalin was flowing - my body wishes it wasnt now - so i moved up where i could. I was going well and despite telling myself id just roll in and be glad to finish, i just couldnt help myself in seeing what my legs were like.I was in about 20th going to the final left hander, sprinted out of it and got up into the top 10 with about 750 to go. Then bang - someone junted me from behind down i go at 50km/ph and all i remember is the crashing sound, the bunch riding right over me and trying to curl up like a jockey after a fall so there'd be less pain.

Couldn't move my elbow initially so feared that was broke but the ambulance lady got it moving. After that it was just a case of inspecting the damage - shredded shorts, gloves, jersey, legs, elbow and back. The left shin is the worst as its skinned from top to bottom - wish i'd shaved now - as shaving around and over it yesterday was one of the least pleasant experiences i ve had.

Left leg is bandaged completely now thanks to the GF and her mother - both are nurses. The back has a tire mark and burn where someone road over me and is prob the most painful part as having problems standing up and sitting down. Nothing broken though so no real damage done - could have been a lot worse. Prob be off for a week or two and bike needs a serious looking at, all bar the frame is in bits - 2 bent wheels, shifters wrecked and god knows what else. Fair play to Ryaner who came back and collected the bike and myself and dropped me back to the club house.

The ambulance crew were also great in looking after my knee and elbow. Most of the other lads seemed okay although one broke a finger and there were a few wheels smashed.

Crashing was unfortunate but i loved the racing and the pace involved. I defo wanna jump back on the horse asap. Delighted with how i went and i think when i go back i ll be steering clear of the flatter races and hope the bunch breaks up a bit more as there were too many in it. I dont know how many got dropped but i cant imagine it was that many. 40km isnt enough esp on a flat course and everyone was way too fresh (and mad) in the last 5km or so.

38.3km @ 38.7km/ph (Until i went down).

Disappointed i ll miss balbriggan now next weekend as it's my home town and i know the roads well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Sorry to hear that Kennyb but on the plus side you were going well. Hope you mend quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Ahh ****e, Sorry to hear that Kenny. All the crash talk must have jinxed you alright :o. Good to hear you enjoyed it thought, I hope the wounds heal fast and you're back out soon.

nomadic wrote: »
    Ahh ****e, Sorry to hear that Kenny. All the crash talk must have jinxed you alright :o. Good to hear you enjoyed it thought, I hope the wounds heal fast and you're back out soon.
    Cheers dude i ll be back alright. may as well get the first crash out of the way too.

Tidy up the stats as might be a while before i do anything again

Cycling YTD: 1,131.3 km / 32 cycles
    Running YTD: 101.6 m / 21 runs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Sorry about the crash but great stuff up to it. Don't let it affect your confidence, it happens to every cyclist. You'll be back in no time, could have been a hell of a lot worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

I was enjoying your report KB...until the last 750m! What a shame, by the sounds of it you are ok and by all means it could have been worse. Had I came along I'd bet every penny that I have that I'd have ended up in that pile up and what then for my new ride (never mind me:D) Anyway glad you are ok, shame as you were winding up nicely for a good finish, well done.

Shame you can't do Ballbriggan, I will make my road debut there on Sunday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

hows that sweeping brush now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

OUCH! Luck you came out with 'only' minor injuries! I fell sprinting last summer and skinned my quad from knee to hip so I can only imagine what it feels like to have that on your shin, back and wherever else :eek: Nice report and shame you were clipped so close to the line. I've never done one of those races and will definitely give one a go but not until I have the IM done. A mate of mine was doing Ras Luimni at the weekend and he saw a guy smash straight into a wall. It seems the racing is not for the feint hearted. Thanks for the report kb3 and hope you heal quickly!

Cheers lads, feeling bit better and managed a decent sleep last night. The road rash will take a while to heal but lucky to have my own nurse to make sure it doesnt get infected. The back is the big concern as having problems sitting down, standing up and with stairs. It seems muscular so hopefully it will ease out and im not off much longer than a week or so, as dont wanna lose too much fitness.

The bike is in for repair too so its all systems go for trying to get back on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Oh man, that sounds sore. I don't think I'ld have the balls for one of those bike races. I'ld say I'ld be over on the other side of the road or something like that.

It will heal up quicker than most others, seen as you have your ow nurse looking after the dressings.

You didn't say how many pints you had last night to help you sleep :)

Ha ha mac i was laughing at your comment earlier, i had a couple of bottles of heineken to help with the sleep and was out for the count. But my leg was grand last night and all day today.

However tonight its a different matter - the shin and knee bandages were changed earlier and i can honestly say i ve rarely felt such pain having the gauze removed and anti septic put on, i genuinely felt sick to my stomach with the pain. It's obviously healing as its so sensitive.

I went to bed at 11 and despite taking difene and anadin plus i havent slept a wink with the pain. So im up now knocking back red wine in the hope i might get some sleep tonight.

Hopefully it will improve tomorrow and hopefully never have to deal with this again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Ha ha mac i was laughing at your comment earlier, i had a couple of bottles of heineken to help with the sleep and was out for the count. But my leg was grand last night and all day today.

However tonight its a different matter - the shin and knee bandages were changed earlier and i can honestly say i ve rarely felt such pain having the gauze removed and anti septic put on, i genuinely felt sick to my stomach with the pain. It's obviously healing as its so sensitive.

I went to bed at 11 and despite taking difene and anadin plus i havent slept a wink with the pain. So im up now knocking back red wine in the hope i might get some sleep tonight.

Hopefully it will improve tomorrow and hopefully never have to deal with this again.

Did you go to a doctor? Tramadol is a super painkiller that will help you sleep aswell, doc prescribed it to me for pig flu back in January.

Did you go to a doctor? Tramadol is a super painkiller that will help you sleep aswell, doc prescribed it to me for pig flu back in January.
    No i hadnt, and most pain relief i had was difene. My doctor is a guy off the cyling forum so he PM'ed me, so going to go to him now if i need painkillers next time its being changed. Its settled down now and is grand. The hangover and lack of sleep is not so good!

Page 5 - god the logs are alot busier than before.

I visited the doc on tuesday, got some painkillers (tylex) and more difene and have been changing the bandages daily. Sleep has been great and the pain has been minimal.

The shin part is almost heeled but my knee is still a few days off yet. The leg was dramatically improved when i woke yesterday and i ve full bend of the knee now.

However the back is a big concern - i thought it just got a bang and was stiff but further inspection friday night made me realise the muscle is very sore and bending over hurts. I did plenty of icing, deep freeze, heat patches, rubs and baths over the weekend. Its still not much better so booking a physio for tonight/tomorrow night.

Hopefully be back on the bike by the end of the week if i can sort out the back but maybe thats optimistic.

The leg hair went over the weekend as i realised properly this week why cyclists shave their legs. Im like a bald chicken now and feel a bit naked. Should make for good tanning though.

Im half thinking of closing down this log and moving over to the cycling section as i dont see myself running anytime soon and im not sure this is the place for this log right now. I ll wait see though and think about it some more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Could have been so much worse. Sorry to hear that kenny, hopefully you are back sooner than later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Im half thinking of closing down this log and moving over to the cycling section as i dont see myself running anytime soon and im not sure this is the place for this log right now. I ll wait see though and think about it some more.

I don't know about that kennyb, showry said something very similar last year and he hasn't resurfaced on either forum since :eek:

hope you heal up soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Don't go over to the dark side you may never come back:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

you can run but you cant hide

Could have been so much worse. Sorry to hear that kenny, hopefully you are back sooner than later.
    Cheers, good to see you back too man. sounds like you enjoyed the time off and the wedding went to plan. Recently got engaged myself so getting married in 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Ah nice one Kenny, congrats.
    I wouldn't say the wedding went exactly to plan although it was brilliant. The best man forgot the rings :eek: (which was hillarious). Good luck with the wedding too.

Ah nice one Kenny, congrats.
    I wouldn't say the wedding went exactly to plan although it was brilliant. The best man forgot the rings :eek: (which was hillarious). Good luck with the wedding too.
    Ha ha classic, you couldnt make it up - i thought that only happened in the movies. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

First off congrats dude! I'll put it in the diary ;)

Man I really hope the back turns out ok, mind it. I'm sure it will settle down and serious patience is needed, don't rush back and stay off tri-bars too ;) Maybe you should shave your back too!

PS Don't go!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I had woeful problems with my back until I started swimming ;)

I would recommend a Chiropractor over a physio, I got streched on a rack in two different physios over 6 months but it was going to a chiropractor who finally sorted it

catweazle wrote: »
    I had woeful problems with my back until I started swimming ;)

Ha ha i seen what you did there man
    catweazle wrote: »
    I would recommend a Chiropractor over a physio, I got streched on a rack in two different physios over 6 months but it was going to a chiropractor who finally sorted it

Went for the physio as i feels its soft tissue damage but if it doesnt work out i ll try the chiro

• Advertisement

First off congrats dude! I'll put it in the diary ;)

Man I really hope the back turns out ok, mind it. I'm sure it will settle down and serious patience is needed, don't rush back and stay off tri-bars too ;) Maybe you should shave your back too!

PS Don't go!
    Thanks man, patience is a virtue i just dont have much of but i ll do my best.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement