Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A passion for running and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

By the way did you wax or shave? Was it painful?? Can I get a feel??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

By the way did you wax or shave? Was it painful?? Can I get a feel??
    You can definitely get a feel but i cant promise i wont get aroused;)

Seriously though i used veet (which must get its name from the fact it smells like feet), and then shaved after to get the bits i missed. I ve to finish it off proper yet when the road rash clears fully. It feels very weird at present when wearing trousers etc but im sure i ll get use to it.

Its just practical for both massage and if i come down again its not half as messy with all the hairs in the weeping wounds and much less chance of infection.

No way would i wax - way too painful - yes i am a wuss.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    You can definitely get a feel but i cant promise i wont get aroused;)

Seriously though i used veet (which must get its name from the fact it smells like feet), and then shaved after to get the bits i missed. I ve to finish it off proper yet when the road rash clears fully. It feels very weird at present when wearing trousers etc but im sure i ll get use to it.

Its just practical for both massage and if i come down again its not half as messy with all the hairs in the weeping wounds and much less chance of infection.

No way would i wax - way too painful - yes i am a wuss.

LOL :D

What does herself think of it?

LOL :D

What does herself think of it?
    Ah she is use to me, she understands - at the start of the year when i got only got back on the bike i said to her 'I really need to get my a'ss used to riding everyday as its sore' - anyone else would run a mile thankfully she understands and laughed

I just keep freaking her out about it - last night i was asking when she last shaved her legs and that she needs to keep up if she wants to have the smoothest legs in the house.

I also had a bath to help my back but wound her up saying 'shaved legs and relaxing baths when will you get worried?' About now was her resonse!

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭dare2be

Kenny

Not knowing the previous state of your legs, did you shave up to a certain point or go the whole hog, keeping an eye out for the danglers?? :D

Think my Mrs would pack my bags should i start to shave/wax so i'll just leave it until my 1st crash/fall and make a decision after that.

In saying that, it would make for a cleaner bathroom floor post showering. I'm never done hoovering after showers. Small case of OCD

• Advertisement

The whole hog dude, although im a bit patchy due to a) road rash and b) missed bits due to the restrictive/sore back and not getting backs of hamstrings properly.

Defo get the veet on if you're quite hairy like me, i had to do very little shaving to be honest.

I already feel more like a cyclist and look forward to some nice tan lines to match thos on the arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭dare2be

The whole hog dude, although im a bit patchy due to a) road rash and b) missed bits due to the restrictive/sore back and not getting backs of hamstrings properly.

Defo get the veet on if you're quite hairy like me, i had to do very little shaving to be honest.

I already feel more like a cyclist and look forward to some nice tan lines to match thos on the arms.

What's this veet? Womans shave cream or wax gear i presume.

Jaysus, i don't know. Altough you may as well look the part eh??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

Think its time this log is moved to AH.

dare2be wrote: »
    What's this veet? Womans shave cream or wax gear i presume.

Jaysus, i don't know. Altough you may as well look the part eh??
    It was previously immac - you smear it on the legs, leave for 5-10 mins and then the leg hair just comes off easily when you glide over with the gentle brush/scrapper provided. Got rid of 90% of it for me. Smells like feet though - no joke. wish id had a nose peg or a cold.

Think its time this log is moved to AH.
    Yep no going back now! credibility shot to pieces.

Although im sure most are just jealous of my smooth glamorous legs:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I cannot bring myself to shaving the legs, i have to draw the line somewhere otherwise the other half will think i have gone completely nuts:p

I cannot bring myself to shaving the legs, i have to draw the line somewhere otherwise the other half will think i have gone completely nuts:p
    Unless your racing and likely to take a spill at some stage there is no need (unless you need to for swimming?) but once you start racing you know what you have to do ... embrace it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Make sure you moisturise before applying your fake tan and put some masking around the line of cycling shorts for the real Euro look.
    bicycle-tan-lines.jpg

Ha ha BB67, that was another one of the things i was on at her about - we were in boots getting stuff for mothers day and i slipped in a ' I better pick up some fake tan for my white legs' such a look i got.

I had the farmers tan arms last year so will have to add the legs to it this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

but once you start racing you know what you have to do ... embrace it!
    I think I'm going to be slow to embrace the leg shaving. Although I did say a couple of years ago that I'd never be seen dead in Lycra so no doubt its only a matter of weeks away.

nomadic wrote: »
    I think I'm going to be slow to embrace the leg shaving. Although I did say a couple of years ago that I'd never be seen dead in Lycra so no doubt its only a matter of weeks away.
    Yep only a matter of time dude! like you say i use to think runners were weirdos and cycling was for fat middle aged men but there you go.

Anyway shaving makes you go faster havent you learnt that yet?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Ah the Veet....MrsC uses that as the mustache remover.

I tried it on my gorilla back before but it made no impression

catweazle wrote: »
    Ah the Veet....MrsC uses that as the mustache remover.

I tried it on my gorilla back before but it made no impression
    I ve gorilla like legs so it must be straw thats growing out of you back

Sunday - 10th April

Physio said on thursday i could try for an hour on sunday provided i stuck to her rules. Was very tender friday after her work but eased significantly yesterday.

Was a good boy and kept it in the small ring light spinning and no hills or out of the saddle.

Just hit the back roads and enjoyed the sunshine, turning the legs over gently. Was great to be back on the bike. Felt a few tweaks so i know it will be a week before im back to pushing myself. Unfortunately will miss the club opening race on wednesday - a hill TT id plan to make a decent impression in - but what can you do.

An hour easy tomorrow then some torture tuesday and a couple of easy days to recover.

29.8km @ 26.4 km/ph

Cycling YTD: 1,161.1 km / 33 cycles
    Running YTD: 101.6 m / 21 runs

Monday 11th April

More of the same tonight, although a bit more effort and a lot more wind. Back into the tights as it was cool. Kept the disclipline well and did some serious spinning. Back felt a bit better too. Cant wait to be able to power along and do some climbs.

Really like the michelin pro 3 tyres - i ve a serious tyre fettish and after i wore the sidewalls on the schwalbe r1's down to the wire sliding along the road in the crash i said id give something else a go. Will save them for racing though and put something more robust on when i get the destroyed rear fulcrum wheel off the guy who looks after my bike when needed.

24km @ 27.8 km/ph

Cycling YTD: 1,185.1 km / 34 cycles

• Advertisement

Monday 11th April

More of the same tonight, although a bit more effort and a lot more wind. Back into the tights as it was cool. Kept the disclipline well and did some serious spinning. Back felt a bit better too. Cant wait to be able to power along and do some climbs.

Really like the michelin pro 3 tyres - i ve a serious tyre fettish and after i wore the sidewalls on the schwalbe r1's down to the wire sliding along the road in the crash i said id give something else a go. Will save them for racing though and put something more robust on when i get the destroyed rear fulcrum wheel off the guy who looks after my bike when needed.

24km @ 27.8 km/ph

Cycling YTD: 1,185.1 km / 34 cycles

Great to see you back in the saddle dude, I hope to see you on the 27th April at my first league race. You are right just to ease back in, I hope it all works out.

Last week there was a lot of talk on the cycling forum re tyres, do they make much of a difference in your opinion? I will be using the michelin dynamic sport tyres that came with my bike, just checked CRC and they are cheap enough at 13 euro, are these any good? What would you rec and what price are you willing to spend on a good race tyre?

I have the winter spin/training tyre sorted-Continental Ultra Gatorskin tyres

Great to see you back in the saddle dude, I hope to see you on the 27th April at my first league race. You are right just to ease back in, I hope it all works out.

Last week there was a lot of talk on the cycling forum re tyres, do they make much of a difference in your opinion? I will be using the michelin dynamic sport tyres that came with my bike, just checked CRC and they are cheap enough at 13 euro, are these any good? What would you rec and what price are you willing to spend on a good race tyre?

I have the winter spin/training tyre sorted-Continental Ultra Gatorskin tyres
    Thanks dude. Progress is very gradual and i ve no clue when i ll be properly right and able to put my back into it so to speak but at least i can do something to keep me sane.

Tyres

To me they are one of the biggest improvement per euro you can make on a bike. A good quality tyre will improve your speed, give a nicer ride and give you more confidence cornerning and handling in the wet.

The three main tyres id look at if i was you would be conti GP4000s's (make sure its the S version), schwalbe R1's and michelin pro race 3. You ll find all sort of arguements across teh internet for and against these so its personal preference.

Id rate them schwalbe 1st, michelin 2nd and conti's 3rd.

The schwalbe being the nicest rolling to me, i like the look of them, they are lightest and have good puncture resistance (better than the pro 3's). They arent meant to be the most durable. I didnt get to test that though as mine got wrecked.

The pro 3's felt a bit spungy my 1st ride but you need to roll them in and they felt better last night. They were recommended to me as a racing only tyre, as they arent meant to be super puncture resistant. I have them in a neat red and black colour which goes with my wheels and bar tape so thats prob why i like them.

The conti's seem to be the tyre of choice over on the cycling forum. They are super puncture resistant and durable. Good for both commuting and racing. However I myself and a few others have had sidewall issues. On two seperate tyres the tube came poking out through the side of the tyres even though the brakes werent rubbing the sidewall or anything like that. After paying near 30e a tyre and only getting maybe a thousand km out of each, i gave up and switched to the schwalbes.

All 3 were miles above the kenda tyres that came with my bike (sh'ite rolling resistance and puncture every time i went out) and the schwalbe blizzard sports (just rolled sh'ite).

I would definitely shop around as there are huge prices differences between sites. 2 tyres will be 70e in places but any of the above 3 you should be able to get 2 for 50 if you shop around. The german sites like bike24, jedi sports, bike palast are generally good.

And you wont lose out as you can keep the tyres you're replacing as spares or as a replacement training tyre.

Bet your sorry you asked!

Thanks dude. Progress is very gradual and i ve no clue when i ll be properly right and able to put my back into it so to speak but at least i can do something to keep me sane.

Tyres

To me they are one of the biggest improvement per euro you can make on a bike. A good quality tyre will improve your speed, give a nicer ride and give you more confidence cornerning and handling in the wet.

The three main tyres id look at if i was you would be conti GP4000s's (make sure its the S version), schwalbe R1's and michelin pro race 3. You ll find all sort of arguements across teh internet for and against these so its personal preference.

Id rate them schwalbe 1st, michelin 2nd and conti's 3rd.

The schwalbe being the nicest rolling to me, i like the look of them, they are lightest and have good puncture resistance (better than the pro 3's). They arent meant to be the most durable. I didnt get to test that though as mine got wrecked.

The pro 3's felt a bit spungy my 1st ride but you need to roll them in and they felt better last night. They were recommended to me as a racing only tyre, as they arent meant to be super puncture resistant. I have them in a neat red and black colour which goes with my wheels and bar tape so thats prob why i like them.

The conti's seem to be the tyre of choice over on the cycling forum. They are super puncture resistant and durable. Good for both commuting and racing. However I myself and a few others have had sidewall issues. On two seperate tyres the tube came poking out through the side of the tyres even though the brakes werent rubbing the sidewall or anything like that. After paying near 30e a tyre and only getting maybe a thousand km out of each, i gave up and switched to the schwalbes.

All 3 were miles above the kenda tyres that came with my bike (sh'ite rolling resistance and puncture every time i went out) and the schwalbe blizzard sports (just rolled sh'ite).

I would definitely shop around as there are huge prices differences between sites. 2 tyres will be 70e in places but any of the above 3 you should be able to get 2 for 50 if you shop around. The german sites like bike24, jedi sports, bike palast are generally good.

And you wont lose out as you can keep the tyres you're replacing as spares or as a replacement training tyre.

Bet your sorry you asked!

Not at all man thats excellent, a great summary. My one stop shop ;)

you're geting into the bike big time.
    did you always have an interest or did you race before or is it something you just took up in the last couple years? how/why did you get into it?
    i don't do it myself but i have a few friends who , when they did get into it they became obsessive about not just the training but all the gear/equipment that goes with it. your post on 'tyres' reminds me of them - a tyre is not just a tyre.
    There must be something to it :)

fair play to ya anyhoo.

you're geting into the bike big time.
    did you always have an interest or did you race before or is it something you just took up in the last couple years? how/why did you get into it?
    i don't do it myself but i have a few friends who , when they did get into it they became obsessive about not just the training but all the gear/equipment that goes with it. your post on 'tyres' reminds me of them - a tyre is not just a tyre.
    There must be something to it :)

fair play to ya anyhoo.
    I was always on my bike when i was a kid whizzing around the estate doing laps and later during summers use to spend hours going various places with my mates on the mountain bike to keep fit in the soccer off season. I ve also followed the tour de france since i can remember. I never contemplated tarining or racing though. I was always obsessed with football and then got into the running.

From there I got injured, found myself on the cycling forum, bought a bike. thankfully one of the lads from the club suggested i go for a spin with him and a mate. I did quite well on the hills, and he seemed instantly impressed and suggested i come down to the club and it went from there.

It was all a bit foreign at first and (wheel) names like aksium and ksyrium had me bloody confused. But plenty of reading and now i feel comfortable and like to help out others when i can.

Im an accountant and useless with my hands in terms of DIY so it took me a while to get to grips with all the bits of the bike but slowly getting there and now enjoy (at times) looking after it.

As i ve said to my financee, i think men love it not just for the fitness and competitiveness but also the buying and collecting. Its like when you were a young lad and you collected pogs, monsters or warhammer or whatever else it was. they researching, buying and using of teh various things is part of teh fun.

yeah agree. be it biking or running or whatever, its like being a kid in a sweetshop when you for example see a bike/running etc shop or mags or whatever. we might be sad but we're happy ;)

Wednesday 13th April

Physio last night - and back has massively improved, she said it was like a new back compared to before. Didnt hurt much either. Just have to go back once more next tuesday.

So i ve to build up slowly and keep going with the heat/ice treatment.

Took a spin out and back tonight to watch the swords hill TT. Still spun a good bit but back feels way better. Just have to try not do anything stupid too soon.

48km @ 29 km/ph

Cycling YTD: 1,233.1 km / 35 cycles

Delighted to hear that your back is feeling better man. By the way you maybe interested, Base2Race have 'deal of the week' deals-this week Micth Pro 3 tyres €55 for a pair.

Thurs 14th April

Not my at my brightest today - should have taken a rest, shouldnt have went over howth.

I could feel my back a bit on the way home. Dont think its too bad but shows its going to be a bit slower than i hope and i need to get thoughts of racing next wednesday out of me head.

Rest day tomorrow now.

26.5km @ 28.5 km/ph

Cycling YTD: 1,259.6 km / 36 cycles

• Advertisement

Sun 17th April

Just an easy tester

31.3km @ 24 km/ph

Cycling YTD: 1,290.9 km / 37 cycles
    Running YTD: 101.6 m / 21 run
    s