Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A passion for running and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Mon 18th April

16km @ some ridiculously slow pace

I'm getting cheesed off to say the least. so hard to be patient. I only went out to get the blood flowing to the back.

Cycling YTD: 1,306.9 km / 38 cycles
    Running YTD: 101.6 m / 21 runs

Thurs 21st April

28.1 km @ 25km/ph

Got my head around just going easy and using it as a base mile period. The physio gave me a good ear bashing tuesday - no big ring for the next few weeks, no hills and only every second day at most.

The QL muscle is improving, while the hip flexors are perfectly fine now.

Cycling YTD: 1,335 km / 39 cycles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

pain in darse not being able to go full on. is this all down to the accident in the race?
    ps think your a fan of epsom salts?. i never tried but body is in bits (sore/stiff but not injured tg) all over these days. do you use them and if so what are they like? any good? how much? where do you etc? etc
    thanks

pain in darse not being able to go full on. is this all down to the accident in the race?
    ps think your a fan of epsom salts?. i never tried but body is in bits (sore/stiff but not injured tg) all over these days. do you use them and if so what are they like? any good? how much? where do you etc? etc
    thanks
    Yeah all from the accident - soft tissue damage, torn QL and damaged hip flexors. Never even realised it was so bad as my leg was hurting so much and i assumed it was just a bang that would ease.

Yeah im a big fan of epsom salts, get them from the pharmacy - less than a tenner for a big tub. Stick 4 to 5 desert spoons worth in a bath. I felt they helped with my achilles and any DOMS i got.

Sat 23rd April

41 km @ 27.8km/ph

Again just kept it easy and spun. Moved from an hour to hour and half. Hopefully try 2 on Monday if there is no reaction.

Cycling YTD: 1,376 km / 40 cycles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Fair play to you KennyB, At least you're plugging away.Just don't over do it like last week - or the physio will be giving you another earful.

i have used the Epsom salts on KB£'s recomendations - I thought they were Ok, hard to know how much it does for you - but if the grannies swear by it then it must have some good.

By the way KennyB, I was trying to find the post that you wrote a few weeks back giving a low down on different types of tyres and the advanatges disadvantages of each. Do you know where you wrote that? Thanks.

Cheers Mac, its tough - seriously testing my patience- but at same time least i can do something to keep some degree of fitness and to keep me sane. I guess it will give me a nice long term base and see me peak properly. Given i ve only ever hammered myself over the summer maybe its no bad thing.

That post is a page back on here (post 1043).

Yea, its good that you can keep up the fitness by getting out anyway.

Next Question re the wheels:
    I am thinking of getting a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite Clinchers; and a set of Schwalbe Ultremo R1 Tyres. The tyres are 700x23c. Will these fit the wheels? - the site doesn't give a size for the wheels - this is probably a very silly question. :)
    Also, does the tube need a valve extension? (I don't think it does)

Yeah 23's will fit and will roll slightly faster than 25's, but are obviously slightly more dangerous in the wet/winter. I use 23's myself.

The ksyriums arent deep at all so no valve extension needed. If you were getting 44m or 50m deep clinchers you d need a valve extender or you could buy seperate long valve tubes.

Mon 25th April

26 km @ 27.8km/ph

Much the same as before.

Cycling YTD: 1,402 km / 41 cycles

• Advertisement

Quick question before I commit. Are these wheels too good/dear for my entry level Kellys AR3? They are going to cost 2/3rds of what the bike cost.

Macanri wrote: »
    Quick question before I commit. Are these wheels too good/dear for my entry level Kellys AR3? They are going to cost 2/3rds of what the bike cost.
    Not really sure what way to answer that in a way yes they are prob overkill for such a bike but on the other hand (and you can tell i like spending others money as well as my own):

- they will be transferrable to any new bike/frame you get

- they will improve both pleasure and performance. i.e not only will they be lighter and stiffer but you ll enjoy having them on the bike

- Its nice to able to stick on some race wheels and keep the others for training/getting wrecked in the winter

- Its good to spend money on new shiny toys.

I would say go for it. The only thing i would consider if you are worrying about cost is to consider going 2nd hand - i got mine for 250e they are a 2009 models (slightly heavier) but only had 600km on them (should last 15k km's so nothing on them really). Im not sure how easy it would be to get a set (i had an eye out for a while).

The alterntive would be to go down to the equipe's as opposed to elite's. Or I have a set of fulcrum 5's which were about 175e from merlin cycles. I find them great and just as stiff (but less aero). Again then you are getting into how much of an upgrade are they really from your original wheels. Im not sure how good your's are? Mine would flex like f'uck climbing and weighed about 2.2kg or more id guess (never weighed them). They were basically sh'ite and any upgrade was going to be a big improvement.

My 2c - buy the elites you wont regret it. Do consider secondhand though. You ll get them for 60-75% of cost even with only a few hundred km on them.

PS

Dont be over-analysising your spending on my log- you bloody well got me thinking - my whole bike including gear cost 500e 2 years ago - i reckon ive now spent about three times that in clothing and wheels. FOOK!! (or maybe i need a new bike to justify the spending:pac:)

Thanks again man. Didn't mean to get you thinking about your own finances :)
    Food for thought in the above post for me anyway. I will see if I can get them somewhere 2nd hand first.

@ Mac,

These look like good value if you cant go 2nd hand. Slightly heavier than the elites (shouldnt be as much a concern for tri im guessing) but still excellent.

Not sure how cheap the elites you are looking at are, but i found these.

I like these too. I like the sound of the fulcrum hub when you freewheel but hate getting tyres onto their rims.

Its fun spending other proples money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

kennyb3 wrote: »
    @ Mac,

I like these too. I like the sound of the fulcrum hub when you freewheel but hate getting tyres onto their rims.
    I have them. Their now fit for the bin but I'm going to get them again. The hub on the 2011 version is fairly quiet compared to my fulcrum mtb wheels.

nomadic wrote: »
    I have them. Their now fit for the bin but I'm going to get them again. The hub on the 2011 version is fairly quiet compared to my fulcrum mtb wheels.
    How is the body and bike? Will you be long in getting back in action man?

How is the body and bike? Will you be long in getting back in action man?
    The bike is ok apart from the wheels and bar tape I think. The helmet is in bits. Really lucky I was wearing it as I hit the back of my head fairly hard. My elbow was cut down to the joint so it could be a bit trickier than a surface cut. I'll know more tomorrow after the check up. I'm contemplating a one handed spin later but I'll definately be out over the next 2 days. I need to avoid putting pressure on my arm so the stitches don't burst but I hope I could get back to normal by the weekend.

nomadic wrote: »
    The bike is ok apart from the wheels and bar tape I think. The helmet is in bits. Really lucky I was wearing it as I hit the back of my head fairly hard. My elbow was cut down to the joint so it could be a bit trickier than a surface cut. I'll know more tomorrow after the check up. I'm contemplating a one handed spin later but I'll definately be out over the next 2 days. I need to avoid putting pressure on my arm so the stitches don't burst but I hope I could get back to normal by the weekend.
    Sounds like you were lucky it wasnt worse. I know there is the whole helmet debate thing but you ll never catch me without one thats for sure. At the very least it saved me some serious face road rash when i was taken down as the helmet is scrapped to bits.

Careful with the one armed cycling thing - wouldnt fancy it myself if someone walked out in front of me or some such hazard. you wouldnt wanna go down again. would you consider the turbo? sick at this time of year but needs must and all.

Sounds like you were lucky it wasnt worse. I know there is the whole helmet debate thing but you ll never catch me without one thats for sure. At the very least it saved me some serious face road rash when i was taken down as the helmet is scrapped to bits.

Careful with the one armed cycling thing - wouldnt fancy it myself if someone walked out in front of me or some such hazard. you wouldnt wanna go down again. would you consider the turbo? sick at this time of year but needs must and all.
    The turbo would probably be a better option alright.

Went to the physio last again last thurs, back had been pretty sore the prior 2 days. Had a good moan at her. Stold me to be more patient. Came out with a new back after her work.

Fri 29th Apr

Back felt great going out but s'hit by time i returned.

Think it was about 20km.

Was ready to stick my bike in the bin when i got back in frustration.

Mon 2nd May

42km @ 28km/ph

The first day the back felt properly right - thank f'uck. It was seriously windy out - going east was a nightmare.

No muscle soreness in the back but my ribs are still f'ucked - feels like one is poking into my back or something like having a really bad stitch. I really should have got them x rayed. the physio doesnt think they are broke just bruised but maybe there is a chip or something. Nothing they ll do in a hospital for it anyway. So i ll chat with her tomorrow about it and just plough on.

It doesnt affect the cycling too much bar feeling weird.

Hopefully now i can slowly build back up. Slowly being the key. I ve wrote off the next few weeks racing wise i ll just focus on secvond half of the season.

Cycling YTD: 1,464 km / 43 cycles

• Advertisement

Wed 4th May

41km @ 29km/ph

Out to Balheary - Ballyboughal - blakes cross - home.

Cycling YTD: 1,505 km / 44 cycles

Thurs 5th May

24km @ 29.4km/ph

Airport - coast road - portmarnock - home.

Cycling YTD: 1,529 km / 45 cycles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Looks like your on the way back KB, how is the back holding out?

Looks like your on the way back KB, how is the back holding out?
    Improving, still being cautious though, sticking to light gears and high cadence. Still know its there if you get me but no pain. Hopefully back racing in 3-4 weeks.

Good stuff with that run tronight, god knows where you find the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Good stuff with that run tronight, god knows where you find the time.
    Its a case of utilising every single minute you have out of the 18 hours you are awake. It means very little downtime to myself when you factor the kids/work commitments and that's without the training thrown in.

Sat 8th May

65km @ 29.8km/ph

Took an awesome route and this was a real tour of north county dublin (and meath), withs some roads id never been on before. At one stage had no clue where i was.

balheary-roganstown-ballyboughal-oldtown-clonalvy-naul-home via n1

Getting injured actually though me a lot about my cadence and pedalling style. Going so much better now. Surprised by that average speed given there was no big ring at all, plenty of rolling roads and shocking surfaces.

I think i know now what i should of been working on all winter. I get now why lads from the club stick to high cadence and low gears over the winter.

Cycling YTD: 1,594 km / 46 cycles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Great spin today. Nice to hear that you're on the mend back wise.

Funny thing about injuries; making you think about what you never usually would. Good at learning a few things from them.

Mon 9th May

42km @ 29km/ph

My back was at me a bit since i woke up sund morning, its just spasming more than anything. I got the OH to rub it when i got home and it improved significantly so its nothing major. Its just slow and steady going.

Got an extra sense of satisfaction just rolling around on the bike after what happened in the Giro today - tragic news. Makes ya think and appreciate what you have.

Cycling YTD: 1,636 km / 47 cycles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Only getting to catch up now on the logs KB, I must say fair play to ya for sticking at it and doing something while injured, otherwise the road to recovery would be a long long one, and not over doing it is the key. I know how frustrating it can be.

Last winter I stuck to high cadence stuff but not so much this winter just past, I wish I did as I feel I'm not as economical as I was, trying to correct that now. Hopefully see you soon at a club race dude.

• Advertisement

Hopefully see you soon at a club race dude.

Thanks dude, yeah hopefully sooner rather than later. Next weeks course is my fav but I think it will just come a bit too soon. Will see how next weekend goes anyway and see what the physio says the day before.

Fair play getting out of bed so early this morning to fit a spin in, i was on my second dream at that stage:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement