Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A passion for running and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

3.1 miles @ 12.27 miles/pm pace with OH, followed by 6 miles @ 7:18 pace.

nice but very very wet run.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Hi Kenny,
    I presume its the Dublin marathon you are doing is it? Best of luck with the training, I think you mentioned you are starting proper training soon.
    this forum and your log etc. will be a massive help to you throughout the training I can promise you!

MarieC wrote: »
    Hi Kenny,
    I presume its the Dublin marathon you are doing is it? Best of luck with the training, I think you mentioned you are starting proper training soon.
    this forum and your log etc. will be a massive help to you throughout the training I can promise you!
    Thanks Marie,

Yeah its the DCM. Have been doing haphazard training mainly due to the football season but its just about over so going to be a lot more structured and focused now. im now part of peckhams pacers so that should help!

Brian

Posted this on the main forum also but just adding it here also

After coming back from a 9 mile run last nite I again have a blister on my right foot, one toe in from my small toe (ie my 4th toe).

This has been a repeated problem and its the only place i ever blister. I think the fact that im bow legged affects this as i land on the outside part of my foot. It feels like im blistering because im landing on this toe and this toe is rubbing off the one next to it.

the toe is not really round anymore - i.e the skin is in a kind of v or angeled shape where the blister occurs.

basically im just looking for advice on the following

1. Anybody got any ideas on how to stop this happening? i have cushioned nike socks which i like, no matter what socks i wear it seems to occur.

2. Is there any type of toe guard or such thing to protect this toe?

3. is it best to burst blisters once you get them or leave them?

4. I planned a 13 mile run tonight but the toe is very raw and sore (i burst the blister already). Any advice on how best to get out the door? cooton wool and a plaster?

any other general advice on the subject would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Compeed is your friend. Apply after bursting the offender with a sterilized needle.

They do the job for me anyway and seem to stay on even in the sweatiest conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

yea compeed could do it.
    are ur runners too narrow? i know i went on size up and helped with blisters altho these were on underside of feet.
    have ya tried any of the new anti blister socks 1000mile socks etc?

sore thing tho. meanwhile...................i'lll be zooming up past the 300miles soon,,,,zzzzzzzzooommmmmmmmmmmm.

10.4 miles @ 8.02 pace. really enjoyed this run but it was tough enough. took a few new turns and routes. 2 very long hills in the early stages were very tough, i know where to do my hill training later on anyway!!

would love to have done a couple of more miles and done it a bit slower, but got home late and ran out of time and light. still happy to have done 19.5 miles in the last 2 days after being out injured.

thanks to the lads above re the blister advice. really feared i wouldnt be able to run but a compeed and a plaster over it worked enough for it to be comfortable.

rest day tomorrow and back running thursday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭thirstywork

good mileage last couple of days there.its tough working and trying to fit it all in.
    enjoy the rest day.are you going to do the race series in the park?

yeah i have to say my legs feel the mileage today, so glad to have a day off. i stupdly only signed up for the marathon and not the race series but i ll prob end up doing the races anyway. I guess at least this way i have a bit more flexibility re choosing. I might do the longford half instead of the race series half.

what are your own race plans? i see your training is going super and most importantly glad to see the body holding up. after having bad hamstring problems i know how important that is.

went out for a sneaky 2 and half miles before dinner. was planning on a rest day but had a stressful day so just wanted to go out.

feeling tired from lack of sleep recently so going to rest tonight instead of sat. will run 6 on friday and 10 on sat.

that will be 38 for the week. going to keep it steady at around 35 to 40 for the next few weeks - well thats the plan anyways

• Advertisement

5km in 21:30 on friday. nothing since.

total mileage last week = 24.9 miles

how are the blisters? any official 10km race planned for time? im aiming for clare 10km end of june. hoping to knock a few mins off my 49.30 pb. all goin well.

Blisters are grand - have cleared up. been taping my toe for my runs since altho none have been long ones.

going to look into a race in 2 to 3 weeks time (my mentor mr. peckham has advised me to start racing), finally quit footy so have the spare time. just need to do couple weeks training and get my diet sorted. you should take a good few minutes off that PB of yours given the mileage you ve been putting in lately! fair play to you

actually signed up for the Le Chéile AC 5k, Leixlip on the spur of the moment this morning. anything around under 22.30 will do for my first race. oh the pressure!!

10windy miles in 1.14:55 ( @7:29 pace). this felt quite comfortable. started off nice and steady and would it up a bit for last 2 miles.should prob be doing this at about 8min pace but as usual time constraints get in the way.

.5mile cool down also

prob do 6 or 7 tomorrow nite, 3 thurs , rest friday and first race (5km) sat morning.

Gave the run on wednesday night a miss due to a combination of barca v chelski, great match, and tight lower calves. not sure why exactly they were like this but possibly doing a little sprint for 200m to the door of my house the night before after a 10mile run didnt help.

anyway did the 5km in 22.30 last nite and had more to give, so pretty sure 22mins for saturadays race is realistic. would be hoping for closer to 21:40 really but it is my first race so dont want to be over ambitious. Want to make sure i enjoy it and finish strong not wrench the guts out of myself for the first one.

going to just do a nice relaxing 5km in ardgillan park with the Gf tonight, weather permitting, just to loosen out the legs.

nervous and excited bout sat morning. really hope its not too windy - i hate the wind!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

kennyb3 wrote: »
    anyway did the 5km in 22.30 last nite and had more to give, so pretty sure 22mins for saturadays race is realistic. would be hoping for closer to 21:40 really but it is my first race so dont want to be over ambitious. Want to make sure i enjoy it and finish strong not wrench the guts out of myself for the first one.

Race to your limits. Not pushing yourself to the last is a potential bad habit. Anyway, who enjoys not giving their best?

good luck in race. is it chip timed?

cfitz wrote: »
    Race to your limits. Not pushing yourself to the last is a potential bad habit. Anyway, who enjoys not giving their best?
    thanks, advice taken. ill post up my result sat and a race report. hopefully will be all positive!!

good luck in race. is it chip timed?
    no not chipped timed. discussions re the race on le cheile thread. its aai certified tho and results should be on the website so looking forward to seeing if i can get at least mid pack

• Advertisement

kennyb3 wrote: »
    thanks, advice taken. ill post up my result sat and a race report. hopefully will be all positive!!

I expect it will be. Have a good one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Just read your time on the other thread, fantastic stuff, well done, great to know you can up the pace in a race like that. Look forward to the details....

Well where do i start with this one, still dont think i ve calmed down since after the race. This was my first ever race and i was so nervous and didnt know what to expect. Firstly id like to say thanks to Le Cheile AC for a lovely race, especially as they somehow managed to get the rain to stop just before the run started!! With it being my first race im no expert but this seemed well organised and very friendly.

Also want to say thanks to peckham (as my mentor) as he was the one who encouraged me to finally bite the bullet and sign up for a race. My god im glad i did!! cant wait for the next one already

Race Summary

Did a time of 19.40, although that not official yet but it was called out as i crossed the finish line. All i can say is its amazing what ADRENALIN can do, this was such an adrenalin rush. i ve run a 21:21 and a 20:54 in training so this smashed by training pb by 1 min 26seconds and abolutely annihilated by predicted time of 21:30 to 22 mins.

the km splits were:

3:49, 4:00, 3:59, 4:02, 3:50

The course to me seemed quite fast, i know there was discussion about this on the race thread but to me km 1.5 to 3.7 was flat or steady down hill, there was about 800m uphill after that, but overall you were going downhill to me for much longer and picking up time. i would highly recommend this course for a pb attempt. altho given people thought it was a little hilly in place and the wind affected the times negatively im very encouraged that i can go faster again. The 400m grass track at the end is obviously also slower but its a really nice touch as those who came to show support, such as my GF, could see us run for a bit and finish the race.

Pre Race

I drove down the M50 in a deluge and was wondering why i was such an idiot for dragging myself out of bed to run around in a circle to get drownded. Have to say when i arrived i was a complete nervous wreck, going to the bathroom every 5 mins and not having a clue what to expect. Thankfully the weather cleared up just before the race. Did a nice warm up and got into line already to go.

The Race Itself

Probably positioned myself a little too high up at the start, but just didnt wanna risk getting stuck behind people and i like to run hard from the start and hold on for such a short race.

The 1st km is a bit of a blur. I went bit too fast really, i just got caught up in the excitement. The first hill seemed like nothing - i barely remember it, only when i was driving home did i realise it was quite stiff. i actually spent the time running up it thinking fair play to he 2 lads at the top who were cheering on people. After half a km i checked the time on my forerunner - i remeber it saying something like 1:43 and i just thought holy **** im going way to fast and im going to pay for this later.

So i tried to steady myself and try find my correct position in the race. i stepped off the gas and just focused on running my own pace and race. The 1st km went by at 3:49 - i was still scared!! i usually run about 4:10 to 4:15 at best in training - in fact i had always found it really difficult to do under a 4min km unless it was my last one and i was giving it absoultely everything.

so for next few 2km i checked my watch at the half km mark, generally going through it too fast and then just easing back a bit thinking i might pay for this later and not to be stupid. kept teling myself 'you ve 3 more km to run dont be going nuts'. still i knew i was fairly flying.

having people in front of you and behind of you really helps. i kept a few people ahead within the same distance and just kept trying to hang on to them. actually that reminds me at the 2km mark this girl just breezed past me like i wasnt there. it was a bit of a shock the way she went past but i knew i had my own race to run. i never let her get out of my sights tho which really helped.

anyway i got to 3km and knew i was on to break my old training pb so i just kept going, trying not to think bout sub 20. i got to the bottom of the hill and there were few ahead i wanted to catch. the last km of my training route is a nice steady hill and i really feel this helped. i motored up the hill and went past a few people who were suffering and panting like mad. A good steady pace up them really helps. i was starting to hurt at this stage too. km 4 road marker came up and i spotted lidl and i knew i was nearly there and on for a sub 20.

i was determined not to miss out and decided to push on a bit. entering into the complex really helped and people cheering was great. i saw my gf and pushed on some more. about 300m out (too far) i upped the gears, i was in serious pain now and dying for the line. my spurt came to an end a good 100m short of the line and i coulnt wait for that line to come, i like collapsing at this stage. i actually wrongly stopped 10m in front of the line and had to get going again.

19:40 was called out, i stopped the forerunner few more seconds after at 19:47!! What a first race. loved it, cant believe i ran that much fater than training. like i said adrenalin is something else. for every km to be just bout at or under 4min per km pace, im truly amazed!! i havent stopped thinking bout the race since the minute i finished it. I loved every second of it!

I cant wait to race again!! I still havent come down of the ceiling, it might be a few days. honestly thought it would take me at least 6months to go sub 20. first of my big goals down!! hopefully this wasnt just a super fast course and a one off

roll on adamstown in 2 weeks, im hooked..........

Final Result: 19:40, 41st out of 151. not too bad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Congrats on your sub-20, and good luck with the next one! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done Kenny, congrats on a fantastic time! Onwards and upwards!

Well done, that's a good start for you. What does your training programme look like these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭jlang

Well done and if you can go so well in your first race and enjoy yourself you'll definitely have some fun race days to come. Much better pacing than me (I had a stupidly fast first km) and I reckon you must have passed me at or near the start of the final track loop when I had nothing left in the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Nice one Brian congrats :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Well done Kennyb, there now seems to be alot of us around that 5k standard, so there will be a nice bit of in house competition going on, I already had my eye on Krusty,Robinph,Christeb and jlang,figs and now yourself :D
    We should def all try do the same race and spur ourselves on to pbs
    Congrats and thanks for the report

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Well done on your first race Kennyb3 and good to see you've been bitten by the race bug also now...thats what'll keep you running through the winter

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement