Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A passion for running and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

cfitz wrote: »
    Well done, that's a good start for you. What does your training programme look like these days?
    Its not actually great which i is why there is defo room for improvement. But i have been more consistent and have had two good weeks of 25miles, with some very solid times for 8 mile and 10 mile runs. Given im relatively new to this and my ultimate goal is the marathon, i ve just been trying to get miles into the legs and not miss too many runs. thanks for your advice on friday bout giving it all and the kick up the back side i needed a few weeks ago

Woddle wrote: »
    Well done Kennyb, there now seems to be alot of us around that 5k standard, so there will be a nice bit of in house competition going on, I already had my eye on Krusty,Robinph,Christeb and jlang,figs and now yourself :D
    We should def all try do the same race and spur ourselves on to pbs
    Congrats and thanks for the report
    Yeah be great if we could all get together. I seen a few boards singlets about at the race but was too nervous before hand to chat to anyone and had to rush off afterwards.

did i see you mention you were doing a 5k next weekend. what one is that and what day is it on? i cant run sat (will be in no fit state after fri nite) but would love if there was a race on, on the sunday. if not im going to do the 8k adamstown race.

Jlang: Thanks. Where you in the green vest or a black t-shirt by any chance? we did seem to go lickidy split from the off, i went off too fast myself and nearly paid for it in the last km. i really felt like stopping, thank god for spectators!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭jlang

Generally race in a navy shirt with a printed-on pattern that looks like yellow paint spilt down the back :)

jlang wrote: »
    Generally race in a navy shirt with a printed-on pattern that looks like yellow paint spilt down the back :)
    At that stage there was little oxygen going to my brain and black and navy were all the same. I think i remember you alright. must say hi the next time. i was in the black holland shorts with the illumnious orange trim (very distinctive)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

good stuff kb. i knew ya had it in ya. and i'm sure you'd agree your training was a bit interupted with hols/injury etc so brilliant time.
    pick ur races carefully.
    would be interesting to see how you get on now with a 1okm.!
    did an 8km race myself at weekend and shot out too fast also. race always seems much harder when you've used up 3/4 of the tank by half way ! anyways well done again.

good stuff kb. i knew ya had it in ya. and i'm sure you'd agree your training was a bit interupted with hols/injury etc so brilliant time.
    pick ur races carefully.
    would be interesting to see how you get on now with a 1okm.!
    did an 8km race myself at weekend and shot out too fast also. race always seems much harder when you've used up 3/4 of the tank by half way ! anyways well done again.
    thanks. just signed up for adamstown 8k race in two weeks. guaranteed a pb anyway!! little step up in distance and gives me nice training week this week and early next week then wind down. racing next weekend would prob be too soon.

yeah the training was a bit haphazard and interrupted but in last 2weeks i ve corrected that and this will give me an incentive to keep it going.

will prob do a 10k next after that.

and at least you recognise you went oiut too fast and can put it right the next time. hope you still enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Yeah be great if we could all get together. I seen a few boards singlets about at the race but was too nervous before hand to chat to anyone and had to rush off afterwards.

did i see you mention you were doing a 5k next weekend. what one is that and what day is it on? i cant run sat (will be in no fit state after fri nite) but would love if there was a race on, on the sunday. if not im going to do the 8k adamstown race.

Its on Saturday but if your looking to race again and you want a fast course, why not enter the sportsworld 5 miler, very quick course and it's on this Sunday.

Woddle wrote: »
    Its on Saturday but if your looking to race again and you want a fast course, why not enter the sportsworld 5 miler, very quick course and it's on this Sunday.
    Thanks. Think im going to wait now until the 8k adamstown race the following week and get a lsr in next sunday or monday if possible. another weeks training wont do me any harm.

Monday 4th - rest
    Tues 5th - 10 miles
    Wedn 6th - rest
    Thurs 7th - 3.1 miles
    Fri 8th - 3.1miles
    Sat 9th - 3.1 miles (Race)
    Sunday 10th - rest

Weekly mileage = 19.3 miles

Prob try get out for 10k tonight at a leisurly 50mins or so.

Oh and thankfull i now have one of the big 8 done. Think it will be a while before i get the second, which will prob be the 30min 5 mile. In fact i ll be happy with about 34 to 35 mins for next weeks race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Its not actually great which i is why there is defo room for improvement. But i have been more consistent and have had two good weeks of 25miles, with some very solid times for 8 mile and 10 mile runs. Given im relatively new to this and my ultimate goal is the marathon, i ve just been trying to get miles into the legs and not miss too many runs. thanks for your advice on friday bout giving it all and the kick up the back side i needed a few weeks ago

Are you hoping to run a marathon this year? It's probably time to start getting some consistency into your training. You could try something like this for the next few weeks to get you into a good pattern:

Mon: 4 miles
    Tue: 10 min easy, 15 min hard, 10 min easy
    Wed: 3 miles
    Thu: 5 miles
    Fri: REST
    Sat: 4 miles
    Sun: 8 miles

cfitz wrote: »
    Are you hoping to run a marathon this year? It's probably time to start getting some consistency into your training. You could try something like this for the next few weeks to get you into a good pattern:

Mon: 4 miles
    Tue: 10 min easy, 15 min hard, 10 min easy
    Wed: 3 miles
    Thu: 5 miles
    Fri: REST
    Sat: 4 miles
    Sun: 8 miles
    yeah aiming to DCM in Oct. starting hal higdon intermediary I program in a few weeks under teh guidance of Peckham.

Have been bit more consistent lately. Think for me i have to be realistic and 5 days is more likely to 6. have been doing about 25 miles for last 3 weeks (slightly lower last week due to bank holiday on monday). but am looking to up it so your schedule looks about reasonable. prob just have to leave out the 4miles on a sat and swap around fri and wednesday. but could add a few more miles on elsewhere.

thanks for the advice and keep it coming where you see fit

stupid bloody cold :mad: prob the 45mins i spent in the cold waiting on a taxi on sat nite. no running until wednesday now :(

Slight cold on monday so took no chances. good to be back running and tried to make back up a few miles as i need to get them into my legs after missing 3 days post race. planned on doing 15 miles but the rain really lashed down toward the end and i was tired enough anyway so just cut it short a little (oh and to watch the footy too).

Did this run in 1.42:40 which was slower than my previous half in training (1hr 39mins). However the last one was alot more effort (want to see more what i was capable of at the time - was a full training pace).

This run was all about starting off bit slower (as was planning 15miles) and making it more of an medium to long easy run. As you can see from the splits below i started off extra slow and sped it up a bit as i went on, was still an easy enough run though

Heres the splits:

4:53, 4:53, 4:56, 4:53, 4:58 (24:33)

5:02, 4:56, 4:54, 4:53, 4:45 (24:32) (49:05)

4:48, 5:00, 4:45, 4:59, 4:50 (24:22)

4:44, 4:49, 4:48, 4:51, 4:52 (24:02) (48:24)

4:42, 0:29 (5:11)

102 mins 40 secs

prob either rest or do 3 miles recovery tomorrow depending on how i feel, weather and time constraints etc

plan is to do another decent run sunday. Then train hard early next week and throw in a quick 5k mid week then wind down to adamstown

Summary: 13.1 miles @ 7.49 pace

so just cut it short a little (oh and to watch the footy too).

good to know u support a winning red team;)

good to know u support a winning red team;)
    ha ha i actually dont. for my sins i support newcastle. enjoy watching utd play and watching games as a neutral is often more fun, altho i wasnt overly neutral last nite - given i was hoping wigan would win so man u would have to field a full team against hull on the last day of the season (to help newcastles relagation fight)

how is the training going? when is your 10k? what time would you predict?

training going good. 10k some time in june and hope to get under 45mins. previous pb 49.30.
    did 8km race last week. went out a bit mad 3.55 at 1st km. altho was knackered throughout race and it felt hard i was surprised /happy with my time of 35 min dead which is a pb for me. :)
    on the newcastle front, well ........... what can i say...........ya know things are'nt going too well when you're depending on Hull beating the world / premier/european champions !:P

With a 35min 8km time you ll have absolutely no problem going sub 45mins, like when you think about it you ll only have to add on 2*5min kms to get that, and i think you d be disappointed if you couldnt do that easily. 2 x 4.45's and you ll have a 44:30.

The 35min time is excellent by the way, congrats. Thats what i ll be hoping for in admastown.

Doing a bit of looking around and reading and found this link today:

http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/weighteffect.php?metres=10000&hr=&min=45&sec=0&weight=160&weightunits=lbs&Submit=Calculate

its very interesting, im currently about 160 lbs (11stone 6lbs) and reckon i can do 10km in 45mins in training (faster im sure when i race).

This shows that if i can lose 4lbs that i could potentially take about 56 to 58 seconds off my 10k time. Thats huge!!

Also suggests my 5km time lastweek could of been 25seconds faster.

I really shouldnt eat so much chocolate and crisps.

5 miles in 35.40 (i.e @ 7.10 pace)

pretty standard stuff , just squeezed it in nicely before more heavy rain came down. Think about 35mins is right for 8k race next week.

out on the lash for then night now (aka carb loading) - so hangover to look forward to tomorrow:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭deco1610

I don't know if anyone else posted this article, because I skipped straight from page 3 to page 10, but this was written by the webmaster of LetsRun.com, which is a running site I go back to daily!!
    It's all about remaining consistant during your long runs... it's also more aimed at the american collegic runner...
    and it's quite long too!

http://www.letsrun.com/2006/collegesuck.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

5 miles in 35.40 (i.e @ 7.10 pace)

pretty standard stuff , just squeezed it in nicely before more heavy rain came down. Think about 35mins is right for 8k race next week.

Are you being a bit conservative ? If I were running that pace for 5 miles in training I would be hoping to go a lot quicker in a race situation.

Was that run all out or did you have something left in the tank. If not, I would suggest running slightly easier in training and saving the 100% effort runs for race situations. Nothing to be gained from leaving your best form on the roads of a training run !

it was a hard fast run to get it in between showers, but your right i prob am being bit conservative. i would prob be looking for 34:30, which would be over a min than that training run, but we ll see. also see my points below, i know this is a bad habit. should i be doing the 5 miles in about 37 mins or more toward 40?

deco1610 wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone else posted this article, because I skipped straight from page 3 to page 10, but this was written by the webmaster of LetsRun.com, which is a running site I go back to daily!!
    It's all about remaining consistant during your long runs... it's also more aimed at the american collegic runner...
    and it's quite long too!

http://www.letsrun.com/2006/collegesuck.php

By the way i totally take your point i know i run too hard too often but there are prob a few reasons for this:

1. time constraints re trying to get the miles in
    2. im relatively new to this and kind of trying to see what i can achieve (even in training) over a variety of distances. i know in the near future i ll slow my runs down i have a bit lately

but i appreciate the advice i know this is my worst habit

3.1 miles @ in 35mins with the GF yesterday. done mainly on graas. have a sore left achilles so going to move a couple of runs to grass this week and see if it helps

Last weeks mileage = 21.1 miles (only)

how you fixed for adamstown ?

how you fixed for adamstown ?
    achilles is playing up so not sure if i ll run it now to be honest. going to take a couple of days rest after tonights run. its not easing out as id hoped and is prob getting worse to be honest

just did a nice 5k with the gf. wanted to take it easy and see how my sore achilles was, its been stiff since the morning before the le cheile race and is progressively getting worse. have had a few easy enough days now and tried to test it tonight by doing a quick lap of the field mid run but its just not right. going to take 2 days full rest and then try run thursday and decide on adamstown after then. peed off!!:mad:

thats tough. you're not getting a good run at this whole training mullarkey thing.

• Advertisement

thats tough. you're not getting a good run at this whole training mullarkey thing.

i know it just seems to be two or three weeks then bang something.before it was football tho that was getting in the way. not sure whats caused this but once its not a constant problem whats a few days in the greater scheme of things.

prob get a gait analysis done and get some new runners and move some sessions to grass and hope for the best

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement