Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A passion for running and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Rest Day. Ate like a pig too, achilles still sore thsi morning altho much better. hopefully another days rest today and it will be alot better. Adamstown in the balance big time

Spent half the night with my leg in a bucket of iced water - nasty!! achilles feels a bit better today. might try a very gentle jog on grass tonight just to test the water

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

I would guess that a sore achilles might not respond well to uneven or bumpy ground. So if you're going to run on grass, maybe look for somewhere really well maintained like a good football pitch or a golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Take it handy and ease yourself back in.
    My knee was grumbling a little after 10k last night, the longest since my injury a few weeks back.
    Best to take things gently to start and work yourself up - a couple of visits to the physio to show me the correct way to build the strength helped me no end.

5km easy run, achilles still niggling, was able to run but i know this did it no real good. i could keep running day after day but i ll only be making it worse. prob take the weekend off. only good point is that its not stiff or sore this morning so no damage done yesterday.

• Advertisement

Did the sensible thing and knocked adamstown on the head. going to rest until tomorrow nite and then try a jog. if the achilles is still annoying me then i ll go to the physio and try find out what exactly is the problem.

bought myself a bike over the weekend - my first road bike - so going to take a spin on that 2nite and i figure it will be great for cross training and getting me through nites where i cant train due to running injuries. cant wait to get out on it after going to the RAS in skerries yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

good stuff. rem to have illuminous reflector jacket/top. its dangerous out there.

This log now prob needs to renamed to include cycling. Took the new racer out for its first spin, took a while to get use to the skinny wheels, esp as it was wet out, started off very slow.

In the end i did 17km in 40 mins and have to say i loved it, the racer is so fast you can do 25kmph pretty easily. got up to 46kmph on a small down hill.

need to get padded shorts though and get use to the different more hunched over position, neck was quite stiff after.

back to running tomorrow, hopefully my achilles will be okay!!

In great form now, did a 20km cycle in 46 mins, average speed 26.1kmph and max of 45.8kmph. (hour break in middle with 10 either side - over and back to the gf).

then got home straight into shorts and running gear (even tried my new boards singlet out) and out the door. nice 5.5km in 25.52. and most importantly my achilles felt fine so will be back running again now. going to precautionary ice it and hope it is grand in the morning. took the run grand and slow to start off with first k m was even 5.07. the bike ride before was intended to make me do this as im a demon for running too fast in training.

good to be back!!

one thing i must say is tho that my diet is atrocious - too much choc, crisps, eating out etc. im really going to have to work on this im just totally sabotaging myself!! also id been really good with not much drinking lately but was was out this weekend fri and sat and heres what i drank:

friday - 5 miller, 1 guiness (pints)
    Sat - 2miller pints, about 6 bottles of miller, 2 vodka and oj, 2 apple sours, and a big glass of vodka and coke.

needless to say i had a hangover sunday. also had a fry and chinese over the weekend.

pretty disgusting amount of drink!! anyway going to work it off this week!!

lol. thats some training you're doing in the pub ! i like the idea of the chinese - to wash down the pints no doubt !
    u asked me about my next race and was meant to be june in clare 10km but last eve decided to do loughrea 5k race but couldnt make it in the end. so i did 5km on my own measured by garmin and was hoping to get under 21.45. i was totally over the moon to get 20.40 !! so happy days. thats something like 6:39 / mile which i literally cant believe.:)

tonight i might have a kb night (pints/choc/ crisps/indian etc) what with the reds about to clinch another european title !!:D

• Advertisement

lol. thats some training you're doing in the pub ! i like the idea of the chinese - to wash down the pints no doubt !
    u asked me about my next race and was meant to be june in clare 10km but last eve decided to do loughrea 5k race but couldnt make it in the end. so i did 5km on my own measured by garmin and was hoping to get under 21.45. i was totally over the moon to get 20.40 !! so happy days. thats something like 6:39 / mile which i literally cant believe.:)

tonight i might have a kb night (pints/choc/ crisps/indian etc) what with the reds about to clinch another european title !!:D

thats great running, its purely down to the fact that you are putting in consistent miles, your flying up that 1000 mile challenge. you get back what you put in!!

unfortunately my achilles was stiff and sore when i woke this morning not bad but niggling so its a trip to the physio and prob another week off running for me.

im now a pure cyclist for a while!! going to do a spin every night i can!

off to the pub myself with my man u friends and will be proudly wearing my barca jersey. not bothered who wins tho once its a good game!

30km cycle in 1hr 7mins, had the day off after a session for the champions league final, worked off the pints, some day for it!!

Friday 29th

34k cycle in 1hr 14mins

Saturday 30th

22k cycle in 52mins

Sunday 31st

Rest

Monday 1st

68k cycle in 2hrs 29mins

Total first weeks cycling = 188km.

hopefully get back running in another week or so

3rd june

23km cycle @ 28.3kmph

4th June

27km cycle @ 27.8kmph

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Hi kennyb3,
    sounds like you're enjoying the bike.
    I took up cycling during a layoff from running with an injury last year and got totally hooked. Beware though, it's a very expensive addiction, there's always something better to get. Are you cycling mostly on your own or with a group?

showry wrote: »
    Hi kennyb3,
    sounds like you're enjoying the bike.
    I took up cycling during a layoff from running with an injury last year and got totally hooked. Beware though, it's a very expensive addiction, there's always something better to get. Are you cycling mostly on your own or with a group?
    hi showry,

like you i took it up recently due to an achilles injury, which im determined to give as much rest and get right pre dublin marathon training. i echo your thoughts on it being expensive - there is so much equipment, its already cost me a fortune, but im enjoying it and the bike itself is an investment.

currently just out on my own as dont really know anybody from my area into it and not ready to join a club yet. in next few weeks i might head down to swords cc and do some of the more leisurely rides but need to get a few more long weekend rides in first.

you part of a club yourself?

I'm with Dungarvan CC.
    I was going out on my own on a mountain bike and a friend of mine sold me a road bike and persuaded me to go on a couple of club spins.
    It was totally different riding in a group - loads of advice and could go a lot further. It'd be well worth giving it a go.

I'm with Dungarvan CC.
    I was going out on my own on a mountain bike and a friend of mine sold me a road bike and persuaded me to go on a couple of club spins.
    It was totally different riding in a group - loads of advice and could go a lot further. It'd be well worth giving it a go.
    cant get over how much faster the road bikes are. pardon my noseyness but what bike you on currently?

i defo think i ll go down the club route, like you say about advice i imagine it will be invaluable. kind of like on here. i use to just go out and run. then started using the advice and smashed 20mins for my 1st ever 5k race.

in a similar situation cycling, i just get the miles in but dont know what to be doing exactly

I had a Giant TCR3 that I'd bought off my friend. But then the bug bit and I upgraded to a Dolan Hercules earlier in the year (the day after Ballycotton to be exact). It's all carbon with an Ultegra groupset. It's probably far too good for me but who cares.

I had a Giant TCR3 that I'd bought off my friend. But then the bug bit and I upgraded to a Dolan Hercules earlier in the year (the day after Ballycotton to be exact). It's all carbon with an Ultegra groupset. It's probably far too good for me but who cares.
    thats some bike, very nice!! ha ha no wonder you think its an expensive sport/addiction!

• Advertisement

5km jog, wonder how the achilles will be tomorrow.......

Monday 8th

5km run, again quite relaxed in around 30mins. trying to build up very gently. achilles was fine on monday morning which i was delighted about. not perfect tho on tueday morning after the second run.

Tuesday 9th

Enforced rest day due to looking at apartments in malahide with the GF.

plan now is to just do 5km at a slow speed 2 to 3 times a week during the week and cycle the other days. maybe try an 8 to 10km run on grass at the weekend again slow and do my achilles strenghtening exercises. going to try be very patient (i ve no patience usually) and build up very slowly. its painful tho, i want to be running hard and racing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

I know your pain! Stay patient and sensible. All the best with it.

Wednesday 10th

Another 5k last nite - half on grass half off. nice and comfortable/slow in just over 29mins. achilles isnt sore today but i know the injury is there.

Friday to Monday were rest days. was camping down in athlone. lot of watersports, drinking and not much sleeping

Tuesday 16th - 42km cycle in 1hr 40mins. lovely new route out to the naul, then duleek, then drogheada. had a nice cornetto in drogheada and then spun home. really enjoyed it.

looking at apartments tonight so prob wont run until tomorrow

hows achilles

hows achilles
    so/so, like its okay to be doing 5 to 10km at slow pace but i know once i up the speed and distance it will come back. its there and i know it. thinking my DCM might be off the cards. just going to do another 2 weeks on teh bike and minimal running then its time to give it a test and it will be decision time.

PS your training is going great, fair play on the miles your putting in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Are you using toe clips or proper clip in shoes kennyb3?

I'm new to cycling myself and have been using the toe clips but find them pretty uncomfortable on longer cycles.

rigal wrote: »
    Are you using toe clips or proper clip in shoes kennyb3?

I'm new to cycling myself and have been using the toe clips but find them pretty uncomfortable on longer cycles.
    what do you find uncomfortable exactly? just out of interest. i use toe clips too and find them fine altho i have them quite loose. my look pedals and shimano shoes are due to arrive any day now so looking forward to changing over. clipless meant to be better for generating power on the up stroke, plus hard soled cycling shoes transfer all the power throught the pedals, unlike the regular trainers i wear now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

The front of my right foot gets sore and then goes quite numb. It could be more to do with how I have my feet positioned (right leg is stronger) and the fact that I'm wearing chunky running shoes. It's worse on climbs when I'm putting more pressure down.

Would be interested to hear how you get on with the clip-ins. I'm not confident enough on the bike to give them a go yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement