Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A passion for running and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

7km last night, got absolutely soaked. going to head out on the bike tonight, shoes and pedals finally arrived. might try get a small run in sat morning before Slane as no hope of me doing anything sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

kennyb3 wrote: »
    7km last night, got absolutely soaked. going to head out on the bike tonight, shoes and pedals finally arrived. might try get a small run in sat morning before Slane as no hope of me doing anything sunday

is slane a 5k or 10k ? !

is slane a 5k or 10k ? !
    ha ha i reckon a good 3 mile walk each way me thinks, will be loaded down one way tho with plenty of cans!!

20th & 21st = rest days due to slane. done plenty of walking to and from the bus thats about it

22nd = 62km with some friends from the cycling forum. 25kmph average, with plenty of hills. really enjoyed it.

Wednesday 24th

Just 18 holes of golf, played well tho - 7 pars on an easy enough course

Thursday 25th

5k in around 23 and half minutes. Breathing was bad as i get a bit of asthma with my hayfever

Friday 26th

Achilles was sore so rested up

Saturday 27th

Was busy moving into a new apartment so didnt get a chance to do a thing

Sunday 28th

Took the bike from the family home to the new apartment, nice 27km at an average of nearly 30kmph. my previous fastest was about 28.5kmph, the new clipless pedals and shoes defo made a difference. a cyclist ahead of me also helped me push myself alot of the way.

went straight out for 5k run after i got off the bike. just took it gently.

Monday 29th

cycled a new route from malahide down into howth. nice big hill climb up howth hill, then back home. another 28km on the bike. average speed of 27kmph

• Advertisement

Tuesday 30th

18km on the bike @ 28kmph, took it handy enough, then a 5km run after with the gf. she is really improving fast unfortunately my achilles is not:(. still i ll stick to the bike with 3*5k a week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

You might need to rest that achilles fully if it's not healing. There's not much point in running on it hoping it will get better, you need a plan.

cfitz wrote: »
    You might need to rest that achilles fully if it's not healing. There's not much point in running on it hoping it will get better, you need a plan.

I know your right - unfortunately im the most impatient person ever!!. Its been getting better slowly but wont go away fully. I know the sensible thing would be 4 weeks no running and to do stretches and strenghtening exercises but i go mad if im not out running. but like i said your right and its time i bit the bullet and confronted the injury rather than trying to work around it. looks like i ll be spending alot of time on the bike, at least my cycling will improve.

7k in 32 and half minutes. last run for a while. didnt have time for a cycle, was glorious out last nite and wanted to see where my achilles was really at before i take a break so i ll know how much better it is in 2 to 3 weeks (hopefully)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

7k in 32 and half minutes. last run for a while. didnt have time for a cycle, was glorious out last nite and wanted to see where my achilles was really at before i take a break so i ll know how much better it is in 2 to 3 weeks (hopefully)
    dont know where you are but it was pissing out of the high heavens last night in north connacht.
    so you taking 2/3 weeks off for the achilles ,how will you manage that ? climbing the walls ?!

• Advertisement

Seres wrote: »
    dont know where you are but it was pissing out of the high heavens last night in north connacht.
    so you taking 2/3 weeks off for the achilles ,how will you manage that ? climbing the walls ?!
    In north county dublin, stayed grand and dry till half 4 in the morning - then was rudely awoken by thunder and the worst rain i ve ever seen. bit grumpy and tired in work today as a result. not sure how i ll manage it - just going to try cycle constantly. going to go down and join swords cc and i might even try get a few swims in not that i can really swim. id imagine i ll be climbing the walls for a run all the same esp on the nites where the weather is nice.

u taking 2/3 weeks off specifically because of achilles? tough going but the best thing to do.
    sort of injured myself (i cant even admit it) so taking one day off at atime sore knee. pain in teh but cos training was going good and i feel like all the fitness is going south.
    i tried cycling, and i have found a new respect for cylists and runners. did 10 hardish miles and was surprised to find i wasnt much faster that some of teh best 10 miler runners in ireland!!!!

yeah due to teh achiles, need to get it right. so it will be cycling most days. i enjoy it alot but not quite as much as running and its much more time consuming - a 3 hour cycle feels like an hour run in my head. like an hours cycle just about feels like a 23 min 5k run. ah well. hope the injury clears up for you - rest it proper, its what i dint do at the start - i tried to run through it and made it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

Sounds like a good idea Kennyb3. I had to take March off running because of an injury and it wasn´t easy. Make the most of it and focus on core strenght training and strenghtening that achilles and you´ll be back stronger than before. Oh, and go very slowly when you get back into it again, I think that´s key as well...

Ps. I know nothing about cycling but does it put strain on your achilles in any way?

Sounds like a good idea Kennyb3. I had to take March off running because of an injury and it wasn´t easy. Make the most of it and focus on core strenght training and strenghtening that achilles and you´ll be back stronger than before. Oh, and go very slowly when you get back into it again, I think that´s key as well...

Ps. I know nothing about cycling but does it put strain on your achilles in any way?

Thanks, am trying to improve every aspect of my regimes lately. eating healthier, using an abroller for the core, doing more stretches. will do my best to take it easy when i start again im no good at that tho.

achilles gets used on the bike but its not in anyway sore or stiff even after a 60k ride the way it is after a 5k run so going to cycle away until my body tells me otherwise

cycling : 43km @ 28.3kmph. so glad i did this, was shattered yesterday and sat down for an hour in front of a TdF preview, really didnt think id get up but glad i forced myself out the door.

rest today, and long cycle sat morning could be by far my longest yet.

Sat 4th

75km cycle @ 28kmph. up at half 7 , cycled the 25k from malahide to balrothery to meet a friend. we then joined the swords cc racers spin. first real proper group ride, really enjoyed it. got dropped at teh back of the airport as the pace really upped (45kmph +). stayed with it for a while but then the legs cracked. just made my own way home from there. was fairly happy but shattered after.

still despite saying i wouldnt run i did 5k straight off the bike to loosen the legs up. never thought id do 3 straight hours exercise on a sat morning

Sun 5th

Rest day

Cycling: 164k (89k previous week)

Running: 17k (10k previosu week)

A good week all in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

A good week all in all.
    seriously well up on last week , nearly double :eek:

Seres wrote: »
    seriously well up on last week , nearly double :eek:
    in fairness the previous week i moved into a new apartment and spent alot of time doing that (esp the sat and sunday). but still it was quite a good week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Sat 4th

75km cycle @ 28kmph. up at half 7 , cycled the 25k from malahide to balrothery to meet a friend. we then joined the swords cc racers spin. first real proper group ride, really enjoyed it. got dropped at teh back of the airport as the pace really upped (45kmph +). stayed with it for a while but then the legs cracked. just made my own way home from there. was fairly happy but shattered after.

still despite saying i wouldnt run i did 5k straight off the bike to loosen the legs up. never thought id do 3 straight hours exercise on a sat morning

Sun 5th

Rest day

Good stuff kennyb3, how much of a difference did you find riding in a group? For me it's 100 times more enjoyable than cycling on my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

A good week all in all.

Certainly was :) Good work on the cycling

showry wrote: »
    Good stuff kennyb3, how much of a difference did you find riding in a group? For me it's 100 times more enjoyable than cycling on my own.

way way way easier. i breezed down 25km @ say 26kmph to meet the group, but from there we were doing 29 - 33 most of the way, something i cant do alone (29kmph over 20km would be my max at this stage id guestimate). it just goes by so much quicker too and feels less like a chore.

will defo be going down again to meet them

last nite was a complete sufferfest, 48k of rain, cold ,more rain, hills, more hills and no power. the 75k was in my legs from sat and my average speed was low for first 15k (below 26kmph) so just decided to do some hills. went up the hollywood lakes hill over the other side, then turned around back up that side down. then turned around again and up the long hill again then up teh hill to the 5 roads and lashed down the other side.

did the last 15k at over 30kmph, lot of standing on the pedals involved.

by the time i got home i was soaked through, my soaks were brown and my feet were wet and freezing. moral of the story = i need wet gear. glad i forced myself to do it, hope nites like this stand to me.

summary 48k @ 27.5kmph

you really seem to get a kick out of the cycling. i reckon ypure a prime candidate for the triathlon. i mean your first 5km running was really top notch. did ya ever think of giving it a try?
    took advive a rested my knee even tho it was a killer. but all of a sudden (fingers crossed - injury has completely clearted up) i also bought a nother pair of kayano 15 and think rhis has a lot to do with it.

gald to hear the knee is clearing up!!

yeah really enjoying the cycling, esp with the cycling club. just really want to improve in that area now while im injured from running. one of the lads from the club wants me to race but not sure im ready.

the cycling is like running you just have to love endurance and be a gluten for punishment. i think all athletes are that way inclined anyway!

as for triathlon - i ll think about it some day (maybe next summer) but im a terrible swimmer, need to get my achilles right and improve the cycling even more. i think if the achilles clears up and my cycling improves over the winter i could do well in duathlons early next summer.

not sure i have the time to get some proper swimming in as well yet. i also need to drop a few kilos and eat right - if i did taht im convinced i can run close to 18mins for 5k. would also help me in the hills for the cycling.

7th July

Rest Day

8th July

Missed my wednesday bike session as the bike was in being serviced. also didnt get a run in as went to watch teh swords cc cycling championship race

9th July

6.5km steady run

Dont think i ll get in anything tonight but long cycle sat morning with swords cc and then plan a run snday morning followed by a relaxing swim and sauna. giving going out the weekend a miss to try improve the weight and fitness

10th July

Rst Day

11th July

Cycling: 53km @ 28.7kmph. had an absolute mare - cycled down to meet a friend before joing the swords spin. on the way to meet them we turned a corner and bang straight over some glass (totally unavoidable). about 10k into swords spin realised id a slow puncture. one of teh lads changed the tube to speed things up. then another 10k down the road - whack tube blows out. so after 10 mins inspecting wheel and changing tube, off we go again only for 2k down the road a blowout and i ended up in a ditch - bailed in so as to avoid taking other down.

after a lot of laughing and a picture of the hole i created in the ditch, i just told the lads to go on - there was no point putting another tube in as i clearly had a tyre problem. rang teh GF and got her to collect me from the middle of nowhere.

was really disappointed as was only me 2nd time out with them and felt bad for holding everybody up (altho not my fault). still on the brightside i got talking to most of teh lads and up to then i felt really strong and was doing plenty of turns on the front. think the lads were impresssed i could ride so well with the racing spin on only my second time down.

later went and got some new 23 (was using 25's before) schwalbe tyres fitted on the bike

12th July

cycling: 62km @ 29kmph. delighted with this cycle. Time Trialed my way to the girlfriends parents house (@ 30kmph for 26km which is by far my highest av speed to date).

Then went for an extended loop on the way home. chain came off twice and i crashed off the bike (grazed everywhere but nothing serious) due to the wet. bike just went from under me around a corner. i was definitely cursed this weekend!

discovered riding in the drops really helps you go quicker. the 29kmph average speed is about 1kmph higher than id normally do for this sort of distance.

anyway going to rest today. either train on tuesday or if i can get my forms in on time -do my first race wednesday night

nice 115km's for the weekend on the bike tho = happy but sore

cycling : 163k (164k previous week)

running: 6.5k (17k previous week)

good week all in all given i missed ny wendesday spin and am making an effort to cycle rather than run at the moment

also got a great surprise - stepped on the scales yesterday - 11st 4lbs, last time i was like 11st 10lbs, altho im usually around 11'7. only 4 more pounds to go now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ouch, sounds like you had a nasty spell there. Thankfully nothing too serious. What do tubes and tyres go for these days? Sounds like I'll have to invest in a pump and spare tube.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement