Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A passion for running and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Ouch, sounds like you had a nasty spell there. Thankfully nothing too serious. What do tubes and tyres go for these days? Sounds like I'll have to invest in a pump and spare tube.
    i got th e 2 tyres and tubes put on for €40. then paid another €5 for a spare tube. yeah it was a nasty weekend - hasnt put me off tho. feel like im flying now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

is cycling in the rain faster cos of wet road/less friction or what?

is cycling in the rain faster cos of wet road/less friction or what?
    your asking the wrong person to be honest. i wouldnt think so tho - your legs are colder, puddles you have to go through slow you down, you cant take corners as quick. i know in the TdF TT they were saying it would cost the last few riders out approx 5 mins over the 15.5k stage if it had rained. thankfully it didnt.

kennyb3 wrote: »

discovered riding in the drops really helps you go quicker. the 29kmph average speed is about 1kmph higher than id normally do for this sort of distance.

thats what i thought , but probably stupidly, i thought you were talking about rain there :confused:

thats what i thought , but probably stupidly, i thought you were talking about rain there :confused:
    no dropped handle bars, more aero and more power through the legs.

• Advertisement

pardon my ignorance.:pac:

lol now i see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Acoustic

alright brian well done on the cycling , hows the bike after the service ??

some good mileage there

Acoustic wrote: »
    alright brian well done on the cycling , hows the bike after the service ??

some good mileage there

thanks the bike is grand. happy with how things are going and really enjoying it. might try meet you one of the days next week if you want. you usually do tues and thurs dont you? i let you know anyway.

13th July

Rest day - wrecked after 2 decent days in a row

14th July

should of went out but didnt decided on a nice relaxing night

15th July

58k @ 28.7kmph. out of malahide, down to balrothery, up the five roads hill (forgot how long it was - it hurt), into the naul, around the 3 sisters, into oldtown, most of teh way to st.margarets then cut back into rivervalley, through swords and home again. good spin, plenty of hills which took the average speed down. hadnt done a good long hill in a while. going to try do hill repeats once every 2 weeks at least.

16th July

5k run in about 27mins with GF. she is flying has gone from only been able to run 2.5k to easily doing 8k. she started running 5k at about 33mins and is down to 27 in about 2 and half months.

plan to test my achilles tonight with a bit faster run (if time permits)

• Advertisement

c'mon bk, shes putting you to shame.

c'mon bk, shes putting you to shame.
    ha ha thanks. trust me im dying to get back proper but im taking the sensible approach and focusing hard on my cycling and allowing the tendon to heal.

17th July

Rest day

18th July

Club spin. 59k @ 31.7kmph. delighted with this. the pace was very up and down and not very consistent. only my 3rd time out and first time i ve completed. first time i made the mistake of cycling 25k down and when the sprint started at teh back of teh airport i had 60k in my legs and i couldnt keep up the pace. last week i had tyre problems. but this week everything went great.

felt comfortable enough when one of the lads (who is a beast of a cyclist) went to the front and started the sprint in the usual place for bout 2 to 3k. we were doing about 50kmph on the flat - reached a max of 57.7 which i was amazed at. got a wheel near the front and held on.

felt grand all the way round. one of the lads was saying that i ve made huge improvements even in the last few weeks - so was delighted by that.

have decided to give the 45k race in the club league a go on wednesday nite.

19th July

rest day. quite hungover. first time i ve drank much in a while.

cycling: 117k (163k previous week)

running: 5k (6.5k previous week)

not my greatest week. i skipped doing anything mon or tues when i shouldnt have. i didnt do anything friday cause i wanted to be in the best shape for sats spin.

this week will be all over the place - preseason footy training tonight, club cycling race wednesday and away friday to sunday.

20th July

2 and half hours of gut wrenching preseason football training. ridiculous amount of running - absolutely shattered after.

21st July

rest day, ridiculously stiff and can barely lift a leg.

on a really positive note my achilles feels grand this morning no reaction at all. shows i can at least train on grass now. but that leads to its own problems - running, cycling and football - i cant do them all fully and properly at once. dont think i ll stick with the football the times are too regimented and i tend to get injured. want to do the rest of the cycling races and improve as much as possible. think i ll take the running as it comes and give my achilles more of a rest my just doing a bit here and there and build up slowly and might concentrate on it more in the winter when its easier to do than cycling. think if i really start going at it proper i ll do more on grass, more easy paced runs. i had a tendancy to run hard everyday and do all my miles on the road. i know know between that and having the wrong footwear i was bound to get injured. still im glad it happened asd it lead me to cycling and im now glad that i have both to work on for a) variety and b) for if i get injured in either. i go mad when im doing nothing.

lessons have been learnt the hard way as usual

okay so last week ended up being a disaster. missed my cycling race wednesday night as the gf was in car crash, nothing serious and she is okay. then misssed thursday due to work. friday to sunday i was down on the shannon on a cruiser.

weekly summary = just 2 and half hours football training (f'in hell-bloody shocking)

Monday 27th

5.5k run in 25.30. im no longer running fit! i use to ease 5k out of the way in 22 and half mins. was panting like mad and had a semi stitch doing 23 and bit mins. big wake up call. am lighter and generally fitter tahn ever before so just need to get a few runs in now and i reckon i ll be sorted.

Tuesday 28th - AM

20k cycle into work. have to cycle home and plan is then straight into shorts and t - shirt and out for steady 10k on grass

down the shannon an a cruiser ? anywhere near portumna or banagher or where ?

down the shannon an a cruiser ? anywhere near portumna or banagher or where ?
    ah mainly around the river boyle at knockvicar, then down into carrick on shannon and few other places further down river i can for the life of me remember. nice relaxing weekend

Tuesday 29th - PM

21k cycle home. wind on the back on way home, but very wet. flew home a good few kmph quicker than the way in.

Wednesday 30th

Swords cycling club league. 5*10k laps. my first ever cycling race and a bit of a disaster. scored a DNF. kind of half expected this as 50k was too far for my first race, but there arent many left so i ve no choice.

went off in group 2, should have gone in group 1, but one of the lads i train with on the sat morning spin put me in group 2. i ve only been down to 3 of these spins and completed one (dropped first day late on, bike problems second day) so i think he thinks more of me tahn i do myself.

anyway i basically blew my legs out by about 14km trying to go a pace (about 37kmph average) thats too fast for me. also had a sore back which didnt help. so came out the back of the group at 14k, kept going till 20k but decided between the back and the fact i would have to spend too long on my own to just call it a day. was totally deflated. if it had been a 30k race i would of finished it but i just didnt have the heart to do 30 extra alone and risk being lapped. plenty of mistakes

- i did too much early thinking id be able to handle that group
    - stupidly wore a rain coat, dont care how wet it is not wearing one again racing
    - i hadnt done much training in the last week and had drank and ate while away the previous week.

was very disappointed i didnt at least last longer, but with not enough training you cant go faster than your legs can take. i ve only 850km under my belt and at this stage im the ultimate novice how i thought id be okay in group 2 i dont know, by thinking that im insulting others who put years of training in it. anyway i was shown up.

all i can say is that its made me more determined to work harder, get real comfortable on the club spins, stretch my longer spins out and train faster and harder. i will use that feeling of embarrassement to drive me on. by next summer i plan to be comfortable in the middle of group two.

anyway 20k@ 34kmph

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Don't undersell yourself, or get too down-spirited about the race. These things happen and are the building blocks for stronger harder training. Next time this race comes around you'll have something to prove, and will be very comfortable in the same category.

• Advertisement

Thursday 30th

cycling: 50k @ 29.5kmph. planned to do approx 90 but got a puncture, then the new tube i put in got a nick so had to repair it and put back on again. cut into my time so just cut it short with a spin just as far as the family home to pick up a new cycling jersey.

Rest today, club spin in the morning, rest sunday, possible spin monday (hopefully), then im off on holidays for 10 days around central europe.

well back from holidays. did nothing much while away apart from pull a ruck sack around, a bit of rowing, and a bit of light biking around lake bled.

took a very leisurely 25k cycle yesterday down to howth and back. proper training starts back tuesday

cycling : total of 90k. okay so firstly let me say im an idiot, more than 2 weeks off the bike and i try do my most amount in a day.

-38k in and back from work @ 28kph
    -26k flying down to the family home @ 30.7kmph
    -26k back in a crawl (about 24/25kmph).

I basically semi bonked in the last 10k. drank on the bike, and ate a carb bar and a slice of bread with some chicken after work. but didnt have a big enough lunch. i really didnt tink id make it home. when i came in i was like a ghost, totally white and eyes sunken. i could barely speak and my gf was really worried. could only manage 3 spoons of coco pops and half a cup of tea, thought i was going to get sick. after about 15mins life and colour came back into me. really really stupid -wont be doing that again. build up slowly and dont attempt something like taht after weeks on holidays!!

75mins of a pre season (un)friendly match. have only trained once due to interrailing and was thrown in. went off injured when some p*rick went over the top of the ball and destroyed my shin. lucky i ve nothing more serious then a 4 inch cut in my leg.

Thursday 20th - Sunday 23rd

Rest due to a dead leg

Monday 24th

1 1/2 hrs football training

Tuesday 25th

40k cycle in and back from work. slow in as always, flew home

Wednesday 26th

Rest

tomorrow i ll be starting back running with a jog around malahide park.cant wait. grass only from now on

Thursday 27th

Wahoo - 7k around malahide park and my achilles feels fine this morning. going to get back into running more fully now. was very surprised that despite plenty of cycling and some football how unfit i was. did it in about 34mins which isnt exactly belting it for me. hard to believe i ran under 20mins for 5k only a few months ago. hopefully i ll get back to where i was.

friday 28th

Rest

saturday 29th

7k in 34mins

Sunday 30th

sick

Monday 31st

Sick

Tuesday 1st

8k in 38mins, including 2 quick k's thrown into the middle of this steady run

no problem with the achilles so on the road back

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great news! Take it nice and handy, and back off if you feel any twinges.
    My brother badly damadged his achilles and following a couple of operations, spent 3 or 4 months on crutches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Good to hear you're back. Take it handy!

• Advertisement

Excited!!dont want to get too excited. 15km last nite and not even a hint of a sore achilles today. did the first 10k alone at as close to 5:00 per km as possible, and the last 5k with the gf at as close to 5:30per km as possible.

was very strict with my pace and every km was very close to target. realised i got injured by racing myself and running hard every day before. i.e like doing 2*10milers in 2days at near 7mins per mile pace. idiotic!!

actually did all the above on the road to test the achilles. planning another decent length run on sat morning - again will be strict with pace, going to do 50% on grass tho. rest day today too to help ensure no injuries. actually dont feel a bit stiff or sore tho which is good

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement