Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A passion for running and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Sat 5th

Got up early and went out and did 10k around malahide park in about 48 mins

Sunday 6th

5k with the gf in the pishing rain.

got a nice 30k in thius week and achilles is grand. it really is great to be back running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Good to see you're back in action. What's the plan for Autumn/Winter? Cycling, running or a bit of both?

rigal wrote: »
    Good to see you're back in action. What's the plan for Autumn/Winter? Cycling, running or a bit of both?
    A bit of both but hopefully if i stay injury free more running than cycling. start back into the cycling more heavily in the spring. the problem I find with cycling is 1. its more time consuming 2. as a result of that its hard not to get soaked, with running you can get it in between showers but you ve no hope with 2/3 hrs on the bike.

i dont have the base mileage done for a marathon but i ve paid for DCM and am going to try the half with a view to doing a get around job for the full, just for the experience and to say i ve done one. depends on a lot tho particularly my achilles

15k in 1hr 13mins (@7.53 p/mile). ran round the coast in malahide down into portmarnock and back. did that twice. nice run, found it harder than i should of but guess im only getting back into it.

Did nothing on 9th, 10th or 11th - not good!

Out on saturday morning and did 60k on the bike in just over 2hrs (average 29kmph). was surprised at the average speed as i dont seem to have lost much bike fitness.

• Advertisement

5k in 21:50. first speed run for a while and my god was i out of breath and sweaty afterwards. thankfully no reaction in the achilles after

62k @ 30.1kmph, my fastest cycle yet. did the first half uo to the parents house @ 27.5kmph, took it easy and was against the breeze

did a tt back and cant believe i came back at 32.7kmph!! delighted to say the least. i absolutely hammered myself. bit of a wind behind me but even still this was well fast for me. previously averaging 30kmph for even 10k was painful and a cycle of this lenght would be at 28kmph. feel i ve come on an awful lot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

kennyb3 wrote: »
    62k @ 30.1kmph, my fastest cycle yet. did the first half uo to the parents house @ 27.5kmph, took it easy and was against the breeze

did a tt back and cant believe i came back at 32.7kmph!! delighted to say the least. i absolutely hammered myself. bit of a wind behind me but even still this was well fast for me. previously averaging 30kmph for even 10k was painful and a cycle of this lenght would be at 28kmph. feel i ve come on an awful lot

it's a great feeling when you're hammering it and making good progress, good stuff

well probably slightly faster than pmp if im honest. done in 1 hr 44mins. found the last few k tough due to my lack of mileage. im not sure i ll be ready for DCM but knowing myself i ll prob give it a go. i predict a slow and painful death after about mile 22 tho. have to do a lsr some stage real soon!!

woke up this morning and not even a hint of a niggle in my achilles. actually perfect again now. delighted. hopefully now i can get consistent and injury free training done over a decent period of time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Great to hear that kennyb lots of races still to come before the end of the year so lots of time still for quality training and now that your back have you any interest in the novice xc on Oct 11th, 6k?

yeah very interested but dont wanna jinx myself just yet. have the half next sat so if i get through that uninjured i ll sign up for that race and maybe one more pre marathon.

best of luck in berlin by the way. i dont envy you, i dont know how people run marathons. my legs hurt like hell after half of one last nite. i have to say i really admire anyone who has the guts and heart to finish a marathon.

cant wait to find out what the atmosphere is like myself in a months time (injury permitting), tho im very undertrained at teh moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Your dead right kenny one step at a time.
    Regarding marathons, I just keep telling myself theres none next year so just make the best of it. :D

i think this will be my one and only (well maybe a 2nd at some stage with proper training) but i think the shorter stuff suits me better. will prob focus on 5k's and 10k's early next year

Thurs 17th

Rest

Friday 18th

8k recovery run with the gf. still felt bit stiff, shoudl have done a recovery run the previous day

Saturday 19th

10k in 47:19.

Sunday 20th

rest

weekly summary

running 27.5miles

cycling 38.5miles

good to get a half decent week in injury free but need to up it now significantly

or at least thats what i think i learnt last night. Im always banging on about pace and how much a small amount can make but finally last night i listened to myself and it all clicked.

I ve been having serious doubts about whether i can get through 26.2miles, this was compounded by a very tough 13.1miles last week and made worse by the first 3 miles of last nights run.

I set off for 10 miles at a decent pace, well too fast actually. I went off at 4:45 per km and could feel my legs hurting after 5 of these k's. All sorts of stuff was going through my head - the miles last week were taking there toll cause i ve done no real base training following injury, i ve got slow - why was 4:45 hard, im going home and im not running a marathon EVER!, i enjoy the faster stuff and built for that and so on. couldnt help but think after my 13.1 miles last week how the fcuk do people to 20mile lsr's?

well guess what, once upon a time my hopeful marathon time would have been 3:20, but that was long ago before injury, now it would have to be 3:45 and perhaps thats optimistic (or maybe/hopefully not). anyway i had dug out my advanced marathoning book by P&D on sunday after hiding it after i got injured and had noted 3:45 equates to 5:20 per km and the book talks about doing lsr's at 20% more and quickening to 10% more.

so after 5k's of feeling crappy, plus one more, i decide to slow down and see what running at 5:10p/km or 5:20 felt like. just get the miles in i told myself. so i said id do 6 of these 'slow k's' and pick it up for the last 4.

Well holy fcuk, i couldnt get over the difference. i actually couldnt run 5:20's it was just too slow, the slowest i seemed to be able to go was 5:07. i basically glided through these k's enjoying myself and for k's 12 and 15 i decided to throw in a couple of 4:30's to see if i could speed up again.

I have to say the difference was unreal, i was barely breathing, my legs werent pounding off the pavement, my sore legs actually felt better not worse as it went on - was like a recovery run. finished up in 1'19 came home and the gf was surprised how fresh i looked and i honestly felt i could of gone on way longer, i know doing it is another thing but compared to how dead i felt after 10 of teh 13 last week this was amazing.

So basically im really looking forward to my attempt of a long run sat 13.1 in the park plus 3 miles after (16). going to do 18 the following sat and 20 the follwoing one. for the first time i believe i can do this. now i have to put in the training to do it.

Realised i ve been trianing way too hard, i.e doing 13 miles last week at 20 secounds under marathon pace. i ve been flogging myself and feeling screwed after every hard session. perhaps this is what caused teh achilles problem in teh first place. today i feel fine, legs are fresh, im not tired - happy days.

The only thing i will say is that all these runs at 4:30 to 4:50 have really made 5:10 p/km very easy, never mind 5:20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

fair play kennyb. keepit up.
    my own dub mara is out youngfamily committm,emnts etc.
    so i'll prob take a back seat here for a couple of years.
    i'll be keeping an eye out here tho till you go SUB 40 10k which i know you could do with a decent training plan.
    best of luck.

fair play kennyb. keepit up.
    my own dub mara is out youngfamily committmemnts etc.
    so i'll prob take a back seat here for a couple of years.
    i'll be keeping an eye out here tho till you go SUB 40 10k which i know you could do with a decent training plan.
    best of luck.

did i see you ran longford?

i would say more uninterrupted training than decent plan. the marathon training has really given me structure tho and shown me that you have to fit it in and just get the miles done. sub 40 by april next year i think if i stay injury free (oh and lose the extra chocolate bars im carrying).

what are your plans now, even tho the marathon is out, focus on shorter stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

i gae it a good two years. now just occasional leisure run at wekends but i'll be back sometime proper. didnt fulfill all my goals but was happy to do galway 5 mile in 34:20 ish duringb the summer. also improved my 10k from 52 to 44.
    anyhow, keep it up and dont overtrain ie pull back on the intensity on a lot of sessions.

• Advertisement

done in 27 mins, prob a little fast for a recovery run but still felt nice and gentle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

or at least thats what i think i learnt last night. Im always banging on about pace and how much a small amount can make but finally last night i listened to myself and it all clicked.

Awesome.... I wish I had the speed but thats not the goal at the moment. Keep up the slow runs and you'll be fine. Training at around 5:10 should see you flying home no problems.

Next week I'll do a slow 10 mile run with you..I assure you you can go slower than 5:10 :)

thanks scott, doing the half in the park on sat so wednesday would prob be best if that suits you, or else i can meet you on the following sat as part of my planned 18 miler? sure let me know sooner the time

5 miles @ 7.08 pace (35:30). little bit of a time trial. If i had kept going for the 10k id have broken my previous training pb, altho thats from about may. yet to do a 10k race but i think bang on 44mins or maybe just under will be possible.

1miles warm down. didnt do a warm up. this is something im going to add from now on, as want to start preparing right, taking my running more srious and help avoid injuries.

plan is to do one 3 mile run easy tonight or tomorrow and weights and core the other day, then the half in the park. Think i could get close to 1.36 if i pushed it but going to run it steady and aim for 1:42 - 1:45 then tack on 3 extra miles after.

Thursday 24th

Rest day, was hoping to do 3miles.

Friday 25th

Got up at half 6 and got the 3 miles in at just over 8mins a mile. nice and gentle.

Looking forward to tomorrow now (cant believe its only my second race). guaranteed a pb anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Thursday 24th

Rest day, was hoping to do 3miles.

Friday 25th

Got up at half 6 and got the 3 miles in at just over 8mins a mile. nice and gentle.

Looking forward to tomorrow now (cant believe its only my second race). guaranteed a pb anyway!

Good luck tomorrow Kenny...enjoy it.

Thanks sosa, mainly doing it for race experience and easier to do a longer run with people. controlling myself and being disciplined will be key tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Thanks sosa, mainly doing it for race experience and easier to do a longer run with people. controlling myself and being disciplined will be key tho.

I did the KK half last sunday at MP,you just have to tell yourself that this is not the big day,only a stepping stone.
    When people are going past you and you may be itching to up the pace a bit,just think of that...after a few miles you will be nicely tipping away at your pace and it wont really matter after that as you will be in a rhythm and it will be enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of luck Kenny. I'll be spectating tomorrow, probably around the 1 & 6 mile mark. Do you have a Boards singlet?

• Advertisement

Thanks krusty, i do indeed and you ll spot me by my holland shorts (balck with an orange trim). give us a shout if you see me. i wont be killing myself anyway

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement