Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cafe owners in Letterkenny living in la-la land

Options
  • 25-02-2009 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭

I just have to mention the issue of prices charged in 2 LK cafes.
    Now I don't want to go on and on about ripoff Ireland but over the past 4 days, I've been shocked at the prices that these places think they can get away with.

Cafe Blend -
    €2.20 for a 500ml Coke (take-away) :eek::eek:
    €1.50 for 2 slices of toast.:confused:

The Swing Room
    Carrot Cake portion (about half the size of a Cadburys Dairy Milk bar) 60c (take-away) or €2.20 (sit-in) :eek::eek:

What recession :confused:

The sooner these places lose their custom and cop-on that lower prices will mean BIGGER profits, the better.

I can see the likes of the above named, Bagel Bar, StrEat, et al, folding by the end of the year but Macs, Subway & The Quiet Moment staying alive.
    Now I'm not saying that this is a good thing as I think LK needs a bit of variety but the prices charged for a basic coffee (and they ARE basic filter coffees, and if not, then simply taste like it) and a piece of cake/sweet/whatever are up at the €7 mark, and this is simply taking the P...

Anyone agree ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's only a matter of time before they either close or realize that they have to do a "Mr Chippy".

Either that or enough people will be on the dole so as not to afford these. I think though that Cafe Blend will have a particular problem as they have limited seating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭googlehead

i like these threads, i would like to see more threads like this exposing people who rip others off, it's was great when the country was flush, but now when people are broke, these people continue to take the piss, good on mr. chippy and i hope they make aload of money. 2.20 for a coke that is thieving if you ask me. people should be made aware of these establishments.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

I love cafes but sometimes, the prices put me off going into them, so I have to resort to curry chips from the 4Lites.

Dunno if any of you are aware of the soup and sandwhich deal at Voodoo. You can get any made to order sandwhich (big massive thick sliced bread) with soup is €7. Fills you up and it's gorgeous... (if you are getting onions, ask for them to be cut finely and not into big chunks hehe)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭weiss

probably rent is a big factor, and maybe mr.chippy own their premises.

i could never understand why a person leasing property wouldn't be happy getting atleast 100 or 200 a week instead of nothing at all, which is the situation for some of the shop units lying empty at the moment.

Dunno if any of you are aware of the soup and sandwhich deal at Voodoo. You can get any made to order sandwhich (big massive thick sliced bread) with soup is €7. Fills you up and it's gorgeous... (if you are getting onions, ask for them to be cut finely and not into big chunks hehe)

That's not cheap by any means. Perhaps it costs €3 for the thickening of the bread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

That's not cheap by any means. Perhaps it costs €3 for the thickening of the bread?

Tis cheap as **** when you take into account it costs €4.95 for just the soup there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Then the soups to dear in the first place. I would think something like €5 would be more like a normal price for that never mind special offer. I think some of the shops and cafes are doing better than €7.

Tis cheap as **** when you take into account it costs €4.95 for just the soup there.

Now you're digging a deeper hole. You can get a full dinner in the QC for €7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Donegal Town is costly also; we sell in Town at weekends, and invested in a small camping stove.. E12.99 from LIDL including two cartridges, which last for about 40 brews.

The Market Cafe is E3 for a coffee.

Mary's now have a machine for takeway coffee for E1.60

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Moneytree chinese on main street, 8 euro for starter and main course at lunchtime. Lovely

Macs Mace up high road, 4 euro for a freshly filled bap of your choice.

Brewery on the square, BLT or Cajun Chicken Baguette with chips for 7 euro, dinner for 9 I think. You get a little loyalty card here too though and get a free meal every 8 dinners, if you eat there a lot you get it every 5/6 dinners :P

In the evening time I would advise a trip out to the Silver Tassie, I was out there last night 3 course meal for 25 euro, absolutely lovely. They also do carvery lunch, recommend it also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

Farls wrote: »
    I would advise a trip out to the Silver Tassie, I was out there last night 3 course meal for 25 euro, absolutely lovely. They also do carvery lunch, recommend it also.
    I agree, been there many times and always had great food, its undergoing major renevations atm though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

You can get soup and a roll for €1 up in gormleys , dont know what its like get the papers and snack on a saturday before football starts. As for the Mr. chippie thing have you ate in it, i think its pure grease, still be tasting it the morning after cos your mouth has a thick layer of grease on it. has anyone ate in Cod's kitchen yet? we paid 24 euro for 2 meals nearly dropped, and the food is all precooked and sitting under lights untill sold!

You can get soup and a roll for €1 up in gormleys , dont know what its like get the papers and snack on a saturday before football starts. As for the Mr. chippie thing have you ate in it, i think its pure grease, still be tasting it the morning after cos your mouth has a thick layer of grease on it. has anyone ate in Cod's kitchen yet? we paid 24 euro for 2 meals nearly dropped, and the food is all precooked and sitting under lights untill sold!

Got the Cod and chips half price special last week along with a few other bits and pieces in it...absolutely lovely and cheap as chips at 9 euro, pardon the pun! It was busy when we were in so stuff was being cooked as we waited.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Farls wrote: »
    Got the Cod and chips half price special ........ 9 euro,

So normal price for Cod & Chips (fried in lard) was €18 ?? Out of a greasy chipper ?

Lunacy !

Pique wrote: »
    So normal price for Cod & Chips (fried in lard) was €18 ?? Out of a greasy chipper ?

Lunacy !

Naaa, like I said above I got a few other bits and pieces too! half price I think was 4.95 euro. There is easily two portions in this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭motherfunker

Cod's Kitchen is a complete rip off, €9 for a cod & chips, who are they kidding. I got one and it was as bland as anything. One of the best places about now is "Taste", food is good enough, basic but very reasonibly priced. I cant wait to see some of these cafe's close, teach them a lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Cod's Kitchen is a complete rip off, €9 for a cod & chips, who are they kidding.

It was 4.95, quoted above.

I have only heard good things about cods kitchen, i did eat there once, but had a few beverages consumed so i could have been eating anything.:D
    One of the best places about now is "Taste", food is good enough, basic but very reasonibly priced. I cant wait to see some of these cafe's close, teach them a lesson.

Were is Taste, the missus got food delivered from there while at a friends house on the weekend, she said it was lovely (Italian food) and very cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 NatDonegal

Pique wrote: »
    I just have to mention the issue of prices charged in 2 LK cafes.
    Now I don't want to go on and on about ripoff Ireland but over the past 4 days, I've been shocked at the prices that these places think they can get away with.

Cafe Blend -
    €2.20 for a 500ml Coke (take-away) :eek::eek:
    €1.50 for 2 slices of toast.:confused:

Yes i totally agree... but i think Mac's Mace is fairly reasonable. Also Doherty's on the main street do fresh deli sandwiches and a piece of fruit for €2.50 (it's not a cafe.. but cheap sandwich!).

Cafe blend however seem to be attracting a niche... the wealthier middle-aged women love the small portions, pricey menu, and the artwork... not for me though, i was starved 20 mins later they gave me no where near a decent portion!!

Senna wrote: »
    It was 4.95, quoted above.

I think I know what I paid for my food, €4.95 is probably the half price special that they had to introduce, I would say because nobody was willing to pay the ridiculous prices they have printed on their menu, which I paid!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Cam down mate, wasn't questioning what you paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

What is this 'Do a mister Chippy'? What did they do?

Also, what ever happened to that Mister Chippy Gold place? They had lovely food the first couple of times I went there, but seemed to go downhill pretty quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Thumpette wrote: »
    What is this 'Do a mister Chippy'? What did they do?
    They cut all the prices on the menu by 50%.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭manta356

If they had done that on high road,it would probably still be open

Is that not still open? I know they changed the name but I thought it was still 'Mr Chippy'?

See this new cafe opening up now too below the donegal press on the high road...wonder how long it will stick it out!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Saw that the other day..Catch 99 I think its called

I dont usually bother with fast food places or cafe's, on nights out Mr Chippie's is handy though it must be said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 blck'n'blu

to whom it may concern (Pique),
    I was at "The Swing Room" yesterday only because of what you posted here and to my delight i found out that the carrott cake is alot larger than "half a cadbury's choc bar" and also that its €2.20 sit-in and €1.95 take-out,oh and also that its homemade and worth everybite.
    Please people lets try and get correct information before posting something on the net.

Restuarant at the golf club do take away now with free delivery and a reasonably cheap menu. I got two dinners (2 chicken curries + rice + portion of onion rings) for 15 euro with free delivery last week from them. Don't have a number on me though.

I put a post up here a few hours ago, just wondering where it has gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I removed it as it contained certain points that I dont want to see mentioned here as they could put boards.ie in a tricky position.

If you are not happy with this for any reason then please PM me or open a thread in the help Desk.

Now back on topic please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

blcknblu wrote: »
    to whom it may concern (Pique),
    I was at "The Swing Room" yesterday only because of what you posted here and to my delight i found out that the carrott cake is alot larger than "half a cadbury's choc bar" and also that its €2.20 sit-in and €1.95 take-out,oh and also that its homemade and worth everybite.
    Please people lets try and get correct information before posting something on the net.

Well things have seemingly changed in 2 months then, because the information I posted WAS correct at the time of posting. Oh, btw...if it was homemade when I bought it, then I'm from the moon.

As this is your first and only post, would you like to clarify if you have any connection to The Swing Room ? Any vested interests perchance ? I find it hard to believe that someone would visit an establishment because of what I said in my OP....ah well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement