Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Charger

Options
  • 25-02-2009 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a Toshiba laptop in Dec 2007. Last June/July I had the charger replaced under warranty as it stopped charging the laptop. It looked in perfect condition and I'm a bit anal about looking after cables and wires so it wasn't stretched, pulled or broken.

Now I have the same issue again. The place I bought it from put my directly onto Toshiba, Toshiba sent me back to them. The place I bought the laptop from are trying to sell me a charger fot €90 + VAT.

Would I be peeing against the wind trying to challenge this one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

K-Jet wrote: »
    I bought a Toshiba laptop in Dec 2007. Last June/July I had the charger replaced under warranty as it stopped charging the laptop. It looked in perfect condition and I'm a bit anal about looking after cables and wires so it wasn't stretched, pulled or broken.

Now I have the same issue again. The place I bought it from put my directly onto Toshiba, Toshiba sent me back to them. The place I bought the laptop from are trying to sell me a charger fot €90 + VAT.

reasonably a charger for a laptop should last more that 18 months so you should return to the store and let them know that it was not reasonably durable so you should be entitled to replacement or repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Maplin are selling a 150W Laptop Power supply (Code-L53BR) for 60.99 Euro. Adjustable output voltage DC 15 - 16 - 18 - 19 - 20 - 22 - 24V
    Has 9 power tips - Should fit a toshiba.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Wouldn't the guarantee on the Jun/Jul replacement charger still be in force? Any guarantee info on the paperwork that came with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You bought something in December 07. The one year warranty would last until December 08. The warranty is from date of purchase, not date of repair. Manufacture can, at their own discretion, extend the warranty if they wish.

Best site I've found is http://www.mdsbattery.co.uk
    The place I bought the laptop from are trying to sell me a charger fot €90 + VAT.
    PC World, or a 6 letter name beginning with C?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

the_syco wrote: »
    You bought something in December 07. The one year warranty would last until December 08. The warranty is from date of purchase, not date of repair. Manufacture can, at their own discretion, extend the warranty if they wish.

Nonsense the warranty on the new charger is from when its recieved by the customer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Wouldn't the guarantee on the Jun/Jul replacement charger still be in force? Any guarantee info on the paperwork that came with it?

They said the guarantee on the new part was only for 90 days
    the_syco wrote: »

Neither. Small Independent Toshiba dealer in Dublin 12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

Neither. Small Independent Toshiba dealer in Dublin 12

I'd be inclined to lodge a claim in the small claims court u'll probably get a new charger then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

this is the normal guarantee offered for replacement parts and it usually covers the period up to the end of the original warranty or 90 days whichever is longest.

but you do have rights! http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/FAQs/Faulty-goods/ this outlines your rights with faulty goods and a charger should last a reasonable time ans all repairs should be permenant

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Nonsense the warranty on the new charger is from when its recieved by the customer
    If it was bought, it would have the full years warranty. If it was a replacement, it would still have the orignal years warranty on it.

Advertisement