Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ultravox back together...

• 25-02-2009 4:18pm

...or at least the Midge Ure version is, sans Jonny Foxx.

Think they playing in Dublin in a few months.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Would rather see Visage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

this made me cry when I was 8:(

Nolanger wrote: »
    Would rather see Visage.

Is Steve Strange lucid these days? Last time I saw him he was on Never Mind the Buzzcocks and he seemed a bit shook. Read bits of his autobiography and he certainly had a few demons.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

this made me cry when I was 8:(

lol, me too. I used to be scared sh*tless that there would be a nuclear war after seeing that video :D To this day I can still feel that childhood fear when I hear it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Slightly OT but what was the deal with those stereos during the 80's that played Vinyl vertically?

Where they any use? Did anybody ever own one?

There's one shown in the video, it's on the blank screen before you play the clip and it's taken from around the 2:15 mark. And what's the deal with what still is used when uploading a youtube clip?

So many questions!!!

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Slightly OT but what was the deal with those stereos during the 80's that played Vinyl vertically?

Vaguely remember them, but never owned one.

I guess they were like the keytars, only ever really spotted on the telly in the 80s...

geoff-keytar-lg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Well kinda......but not really! ;)

The difference with the vertical vinyl players was that generally a record player needs gravity to weigh down the needle on the record, and these amazing contraptions seemed to render gravity unnecessary!! :D

BaZmO* wrote: »
    these amazing contraptions seemed to render gravity unnecessary!! :D

Gravity, like so much Mother Nature has to offer, has been conquered...

fisher_pen.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

...or at least the Midge Ure version is, sans Jonny Foxx.

Think they playing in Dublin in a few months.
    Now that is intresting news :). I saw them play St Francis Xavier hall Dublin, back in the early eighties and would you know it, stupid sound system failed on one large speaker .

Be good if it's the original line up '' Midge ,Chris Cross, Billy Curie ,Warren Cann but probably not .

latchyco wrote: »
    Be good if it's the original line up '' Midge ,Chris Cross, Billy Curie ,Warren Cann but probably not .

I like to be the bearer of good news...it is that line up.

http://www.ultravox.org.uk/cgi-bin/dada/mail.cgi/archive/evnews/20081106200935

I thought the original line up included Foxx, and Ure replaced him?

• Advertisement

I like to be the bearer of good news...it is that line up.

http://www.ultravox.org.uk/cgi-bin/dada/mail.cgi/archive/evnews/20081106200935

I thought the original line up included Foxx, and Ure replaced him?
    Oh man that's great .I had only recently finished reading Mide ures athobiography to and it brought back some memories.I will defo go check them out again on UK tour .
    :)

Foxx was in the original line up and was replaced by Ure with other 3 replacing other original memebrs too .The band then changed their whole musical style , going for the more heavier/ elctronic /grunge/synth style .

They wore cool clothes to :)

latchyco wrote: »
    I had only recently finished reading Mide ures athobiography

Didn't know he had one, saw him in the INEC last year but obviously he mostly played his solo stuff, but did throw in Vienna, Dancing WTIME, Fade to Grey etc.

Didn't know he had one, saw him in the INEC last year but obviously he mostly played his solo stuff, but did throw in Vienna, Dancing WTIME, Fade to Grey etc.
    He released his autobiography 'If I was '' about 3,4 years ago.http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/1852271442/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=266239&s=books

Surprised I had not seen the mention of the tour dates earlier although had heard Midge was doing his low key solo tour .I will try get to the Manchester concert on April 14th .I know their was a little anomisity between the band members before they broke up ,specially Warren who was sacked .I think they were more appricated after they disbanded and a very underated 80s band . Look forward ( hopefully) to seeing them again .

Advertisement