Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Kilkenny City with no phone line

Options
  • 25-02-2009 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

Anyone got some good experiences with broadband in Kilkenny City (Comer Rd.) that doesn't require Broadband? I'll be needed for laptops (downloading, browsing etc.) and to connect a Playstation 3 to for online gaming.

At the moment I have a 3G dongle which is pretty poor and can loose signal in 1/2 the house. Wouldn't like to spend more than €30pm either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

If you are passing by a newsagents soon you should pick up a copy of PC Live. It's about three or four euro. There is a page at the back which lists all the broadband providers in Ireland, what service they provide etc. It would be a starting point for you.

Vodafone, o2 and 3G broadband are really only suitable for surfing and email. Reliabilty and consistency with those are minimal also.
    Jesper wrote: »
    Anyone got some good experiences with broadband in Kilkenny City (Comer Rd.) that doesn't require Broadband?

I presume you mean without the phone line? If it's the expense you're worried about, some companies offer free line rental. You wouldn't even need to connect a phone. Some companies offer true wireless broadband with decent contention ratios/speeds/pings.

I've only ever used Eircom personally and would recommend them... unless you are a downloader. Friends and family have used various packages and companies and it's a mixed bag.

You should also refer to the broadband forum too, who offer invaluable advice and experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Chorus broadband works without a phoneline and is available in the comer road side of town

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

this website might help..........http://www.getbroadband.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, UPC (aka Chorus/NTL) should be available to you via cable. Digiweb's wireless Metro service has coverage in your area too as far as I can recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aidankk

i have digiweb metro and it is much faster than standard dsl with less contention...

Cant go wrong with it.., and you can add a phone for no cost as well..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 hillerbees

aidankk wrote: »
    i have digiweb metro and it is much faster than standard dsl with less contention...

Cant go wrong with it.., and you can add a phone for no cost as well..

What speeds are you getting with Metro?...do you get line drops when the weather is particularly bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aidankk

hillerbees wrote: »
    What speeds are you getting with Metro?...do you get line drops when the weather is particularly bad?

i get full 8 meg all the time, there is not the contention problems that there is with dsl.. Very few problems with service..

Advertisement