Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Areas with City views?

Options
  • 25-02-2009 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭

Hello Galwegians

I'm currently mulling over a potential move to the city of the tribes and I'm looking for some local knowledge.

I'm looking for a house in an elevated location preferably with views of the city. As I'm not too famiiar with the topography of the area could some locals advise me what areas to be looking at.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Circular Road is OK or maybe Ballymoneen Road, Galway is fairly flat and the city view ain't that pretty so not many options. Would you not prefer to have sea views?:D

To be honest, you'll be hard pushed to find views of the city.. The skyline is nothing to look at anyways so go for views of the bay in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Thanks for the response I didn't realise it was mostly flat. Maybe somewhere out of town in the county would be better to get more elevation.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The highest points in the county would be the mountains of north Connemara.
    You should come over for a weekend and drive around, the city is quite flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gerkeo

As a previous poster said Galway is mostly on pretty flat land. Probably the 2 best spots are Circular road on the west side and Ballybrit Court on the east (behind Dunnes stores Briarhill, small road back towards city, top of hill, up near the reservoir).

The bay is an obvious choice for good views. Also up around moycullen, views of lough corrib makes it a great spot too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I was in a house in Sceilig Ard that had a nice city view. It was at the very top of the estate.

I lived in a house in St. Bridget's Place on Prospect Hill that overlooked the New Bridge and could see pretty much all of that area. It was on the top of that really steep hill just beside Argos/Lidl so had pretty much an uninterrupted view of it all.

everywhere mentioned here are really far apart.. where would you be working or what's your plan OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 fatleomessi

DSC00236.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

You don't get that much of a view of the city, but more than most places up here in Ballybrit/Briarhill.

Still, Galway hasn't got an amazing skyline (doesn't have much of a skyline at all, tbh) or anything - I don't think I'd base finding an apartment on a view of the city.

Kind of pretty at night with the lights, though. And when the sea levels rise, you can charge people to camp in your garden :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Even on the likes of Circular Road there's nothing much to look at/see during the day (apart from the Eircom tower over in Mervue and maybe the Cathedral). At night when all the street lights are on it's a good view from Circular Road.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Xiney wrote: »
    You don't get that much of a view of the city, but more than most places up here in Ballybrit/Briarhill.

Still, Galway hasn't got an amazing skyline (doesn't have much of a skyline at all, tbh) or anything.

You're obviously forgetting the Roches Stores Carpark, and the Mervue telecoms mast. :)

everywhere mentioned here are really far apart.. where would you be working or what's your plan OP?

I would be working in the Mervue area. I guess I'll have to take a drive around and take a look but you've given me some areas to start with anyway. Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Good views over the bay (prettier than the city) from the area behind the church in Ballybane. It's close to Mervue, too.

(Not sure if the neighbours will like you though ;) )

JustMary wrote: »
    Good views over the bay (prettier than the city) from the area behind the church in Ballybane. It's close to Mervue, too.

(Not sure if the neighbours will like you though ;) )

Why's that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Best view of the city I'v seen was from a penthouse in salthill, 7 storys up. That would probably set you back quit a bit though!

Advertisement