Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what 600???

• 25-02-2009 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

hi all, just a few questions, first ill give ye a bit of background. Im 24 with a provisonal licence ,waiting on my date for my test, currently driving a yamaha fzr250r and looking too upgrade and have 1 years no claims with quinn.
    i was thinkin about a cbr600f or a kawasiki zx636 which ill proberly restrict.

any ideas on the best bike for someone with my experience around 600cc, pros and cons???

and are there any other insurers apart from the big 3?? finding it hard to shop around????

thanks para1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Cbr600f is a good choice. How about a hornet 6?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

restricted is kinda a balls. Em 636 is a grand bike never rode a restricted one though. Gixxer all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Para1

Bryn wrote: »
    Cbr600f is a good choice. How about a hornet 6?
    Hornets a nice bike but id prefer the riding position of the cbr, drove a mate`s susuki bandit and didnt really like the position.
    seanybiker wrote: »
    restricted is kinda a balls. Em 636 is a grand bike never rode a restricted one though. Gixxer all the way.

i like the gixxer but a small bit pricey for me, was looking at a 02 for 4500 and cbr 02 for 3500, more my price range. Thats if i can get insured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

yeah they are pricey alright. Cbr is the way forward for yourself then bud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

CBR 600F is a cracking bike! You'll have to restrict it though... They hav some poke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

you can get the 636 in a factory restricted version which means cheap insurance.
    The sv 650 is available fr too but its a different sort of bike in the 600 category. A real bike like :)
    Had one before getting the 1000. Nice fr bike- you don't notice the restriction much, certainly much less than an inline 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Para1 wrote: »
    hi all, just a few questions, first ill give ye a bit of background. Im 24 with a provisonal licence ,waiting on my date for my test, currently driving a yamaha fzr250r and looking too upgrade and have 1 years no claims with quinn.
    i was thinkin about a cbr600f or a kawasiki zx636 which ill proberly restrict.

You'll have to restrict most bikes to be legal and more importantly to make sure that you have valid insurance if the worst should happen.

You'll also have to get the FZR restricted to be allowed to do your test or hire a school bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

03 or 04 foxeye fazer.

cracking bike but you will need to restrict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Daytona 675 = top drawer bike ......... :)
    Triumph-Daytona_675.jpg
    Celtic Triumph, M7 (Junct 10) Mondello exit.

nereid wrote: »
    you can get the 636 in a factory restricted version which means cheap insurance.
    The sv 650 is available fr too but its a different sort of bike in the 600 category. A real bike like :)
    Had one before getting the 1000. Nice fr bike- you don't notice the restriction much, certainly much less than an inline 4.

i rang quinn and said i was lookin into a factrory restricted 636 and they said they wouldnt even quote me until i was 25 restricted or not:mad:
    Del2005 wrote: »
    You'll have to restrict most bikes to be legal and more importantly to make sure that you have valid insurance if the worst should happen.

You'll also have to get the FZR restricted to be allowed to do your test or hire a school bike.

i already asked about that and the fella giving me lessons said i wouldnt have to get it restricted for the test, could you clarify i thought as long as it is under 250cc or 25kw its considered lerner legal???

Camelot wrote: »
    Daytona 675 = top drawer bike ......... :)
    Triumph-Daytona_675.jpg
    Celtic Triumph, M7 (Junct 10) Mondello exit.

lovely bike = lots of money:rolleyes:, lookin for something that if i do happen to drop it i wont start loosing my hair !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

how far are you from 25? if you can hold out till 25 with the 1 years ncb, Adelaide will quote ya- very cheap I'd say

(Aon, Carole Nash, Quinn, and Adelaide are only insurers at the mo still. eBike where a no show..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

i already asked about that and the fella giving me lessons said i wouldnt have to get it restricted for the test, could you clarify i thought as long as it is under 250cc or 25kw its considered lerner legal???
    It has to be below 25KW/33BHP. Bikes like the CBR250 and your fzr250r are well over the limit while bikes like the kawasaki ninja 250 are under the limit so having a bike under 250cc doesn't necessarily mean its learner legal. It completely depends on the individual model of the bike. Legally you should have it restricted but the testers aren't too strict on it and thats probably why the guy giving you lessons said it was alright.

Wossack wrote: »
    how far are you from 25? if you can hold out till 25 with the 1 years ncb, Adelaide will quote ya- very cheap I'd say

about 7 months but i dont know if i can handle another summer with the fzr, its as unreliable!!!!! :mad:
    It has to be below 25KW/33BHP. Bikes like the CBR250 and your fzr250r are well over the limit while bikes like the kawasaki ninja 250 are under the limit so having a bike under 250cc doesn't necessarily mean its learner legal. It completely depends on the individual model of the bike. Legally you should have it restricted but the testers aren't too strict on it and thats probably why the guy giving you lessons said it was alright.

does that mean i wouldnt be covered by my insurance :eek: just aswell the bike isnt worth clamining on:D is the 250 hornet under25kw/33bhp??

does that mean i wouldnt be covered by my insurance :eek: just aswell the bike isnt worth clamining on:D is the 250 hornet under25kw/33bhp??

The hornet 250 has the same engine as the cbr250rr. It is tuned differently though. And it put's out 40 - 45 bhp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

about 7 months but i dont know if i can handle another summer with the fzr, its as unreliable!!!!! :mad:

Yep if you crashed the insurance company might give you a lot of trouble if they noticed it wasn't restricted.

im just gonna buy a honda 50 !!!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭volker 991

bo..... i just got a cbr250rr and was damn sure it is legal to ride on a proficional licence. ups,wy did carol nash insure me then knowing its over the leagal limit.
    i was thinking its way to quick for only 33 bhp:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Brabazone

CN assume that the bike is restricted, If its not then and you have an accident you are not insured. They will check the bike following an accident to see if the restrictor is fitted even if you have the restrictor cert for the bike. Restrictor cert is really only for the cops if they think the bike is above the legal limit. Insurance company's will still pay out in the event of an accident even if the bike is unrestriced but they will bring you to the cleaners afterwards with a lawsuit to get every cent of compensation you got of them and then some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Ive had 3 cbr 600s, great bikes, this is my most recent for sale which i traded in for my 03 gixxer 1000, i can tell you right now that cbr is MINT, i spent a few bob on her and kept her 110% all the time, you should give him a call and have a look at it http://www.pitlane-motorcycles.com/motorcycle271.shtml

Actually i just copped he has dropped the price from 4500!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭volker 991

Restrictor cert is really only for the cops if they think the bike is above the legal limit.
    well looks like i will have to get one fitted ,any idee how much there are?
    I know i should not ask ,but god loves a tryer,so here it gose,can you desable the restricktor without the cops or insurance finding out?UPS.bold me!!!!!!!!:mad:
    just love the quick reaction from the bike...way to much:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Brabazone

Tom600 does them for 240 and his phone number is 0858453899.

You can remove them in a few Min's but as I said if you have an accident where the cops start asking questions or if there is a claim then you are in trouble.

If you did have an accident where you were the only party and there was no damage to anyone's property you could still be in trouble if the cops came on the scene. This is because the cops can confiscate the bike and have it examined by there PSV offer to determine the legality of the bike, basically it will be examined to determine if there is a restrictor fitted or not. In this case it wont matter if you have the cert or not as it will be in the eyes of the law illegal for you to ride it.

The only time the cert is of any real use to you is if you are stopped at a checkpoint and asked to produce it. However usually they will only be asked to do this if they suspect the bike is not restricted and you are on a restricted licence.

At the end of the day the choice is entirely yours but if I were you I'd put it in and leave it there because its just not worth the risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

Brabazone wrote: »
    Tom600 does them for 240 and his phone number is 0858453899.

You can remove them in a few Min's but as I said if you have an accident where the cops start asking questions or if there is a claim then you are in trouble.

If you did have an accident where you were the only party and there was no damage to anyone's property you could still be in trouble if the cops came on the scene. This is because the cops can confiscate the bike and have it examined by there PSV offer to determine the legality of the bike, basically it will be examined to determine if there is a restrictor fitted or not. In this case it wont matter if you have the cert or not as it will be in the eyes of the law illegal for you to ride it.

The only time the cert is of any real use to you is if you are stopped at a checkpoint and asked to produce it. However usually they will only be asked to do this if they suspect the bike is not restricted and you are on a restricted licence.

At the end of the day the choice is entirely yours but if I were you I'd put it in and leave it there because its just not worth the risk.

Ill be asking them to put my wrecked bike on a rolling road to prove it doesnt produce >33bhp..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Wossack wrote: »
    Ill be asking them to put my wrecked bike on a rolling road to prove it doesnt produce >33bhp..

As it would more then likely be a civil matter in the end they don't need to prove it to as high a level, and I think it could be up to you to prove that you where legal to stop the insurance company. You have signed a legal document and have you read every line of the small print?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

I have a 600cc Bandit. Great bike, class 6 insurance restricted (I think). They changed to 650 a couple of years back. Considered the Hornet but it was slightly more expensive to buy and insure

I went from a GN125 to Bandit 600. Big jump in size and power.

Thanks too everyone for their replys:D:D

was looking into a hornet 250 , well expensive though cash flow problems have arisen:( . anyone have experience with a hyosung comet Gt250??

Thanks too everyone for their replys:D:D

was looking into a hornet 250 , well expensive though cash flow problems have arisen:( . anyone have experience with a hyosung comet Gt250??

How much are you looking to spend? My friends housemate will be selling his '96 hornet 250 in the next while I think and it's in ogod condition!

Bryn wrote: »
    How much are you looking to spend? My friends housemate will be selling his '96 hornet 250 in the next while I think and it's in ogod condition!

as little as possible:D:D how much is he askin for it, is it in good nick??id be interested but i need something reliable and i dont wanna have to do any work on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

not had a bike in a while so a bit out of touch with the scene. just a quick query from some of the previous posts, have the guards copped on to the 33bhp thing and are they asking for restriction certs?

as little as possible:D:D how much is he askin for it, is it in good nick??id be interested but i need something reliable and i dont wanna have to do any work on it.

Well it definately doesn't need any work anyway! I will ask him what he wants for it next time I see him.....but i would say it would be about €2500ish

• Advertisement

Thanks a million Bryn, will you give me a PM when he`s ready to sell.?

Advertisement