Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qual Pex with Central Heating Radiators

Options
  • 25-02-2009 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Anyone know if I can I use Qual Pex pipe with Central Heating Radiators instead of 15mm copper pipe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Gerry1995 wrote: »
    Anyone know if I can I use Qual Pex pipe with Central Heating Radiators instead of 15mm copper pipe.

In general Qualpex can be used anywhere except for the first 1mtr from the boiler - double check that meassurement though IANAP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Qualpex is great for this, especially under concrete floors as you can have continuous pipe runs without joints! However you might want to consider using copper tails for each radiator- looks better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Qualpex is fine for heating systems as long as you use the barrier version. The standard pipe is gas permeable and will allow the oxygen content of the water to increase over time. This causes accelerated corrosion of the steel components in the heating system - your radiators.

Personally I would avoid the use of push-fit joints, as I have seen too many of them fail, if you use compression fittings with inserts you will be fine. I agree with the suggestion to use copper rad tails, they look better and stand up to the inevitable knocks better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Just in relation to durability I've had a floor fitter nick a plastic rad tail in my house which caused a bit of damage so copper is defo the way to go.

Advertisement