Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Around the World...

Options
  • 25-02-2009 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭

So I've started this running lark and I am quite liking it so far....so as an incentive to keep it up I'm starting a log - think of the shame if I slip off the first page or two!! :eek:

I'm also fairly new to running and haven't been in a race since about first year in school which was a horrid cross country affair that I do not want to repeat!! So any (constructive) advice is welcome :)

I am female, 27years about 165cm and I'm guessing my weight is about 65kg. That is what it was a month ago and my clothes aren't feeling any looser or tighter. And before anyone recommends I eat fish or meat to make sure I'm getting enough protein and/or iron - I'm a veggie and I do watch my diet to make sure I get enough of these things - I promise!

So the running stuff - well essentially my goal is to run the Dublin City Marathon in October, but before then I'm hoping to fit in some other races so that I can get used to the whole race atmosphere and also make training a bit more intersting cause Oct is a hell of a long time away!!!

But I'm starting from a pretty low base (imo anyway) so the last few weeks have been about just getting used to running, picking a distance and running it, taking walking breaks if really needed and then running again and gradually increasing the distance until for the past maybe 10 days I've not needed any walking breaks and today I ran 6km, no stopping!! Okay not very far but I was chuffed with myself and at the time I felt I could have kept going for another bit.

So the plan moving forward is to have one long run a week (wednesdays), a medium run at the weekends, and three shorter sessions as well. At the moment my main focus is increasing the distance I can do but I want to incorporate a bit of speed work from maybe April - to keep it intersting. I also will be doing pilates fairly often to work on core strength and prevent a relapse of a previous back injury, and hopefully will be hitting the climbing wall at least once a week for some fun :)

Oh and the title of the thread is because between now and October I'll be living in Belgium, Australia and Ireland as part of my studies and will be travelling to a few other places for field work and stuff and the runners are coming with me......

*apoligies for the length of post - future ones will be shorter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Good luck spaceylou (great name). Lucky you to have the opportunity for multi country running :) Same advice as to Kennyb3.. build up progressively and you'll do fine. Try persuade a friend to take up the running lark too so you'll have a running colleague from time to time. Its a big help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Thursday 26th Feb

Today the plan ordered a rest day and to be honest my body was happy to comply....was fecking shattered this morning and had to actually come home from a lecture to get another 2hours sleep before a seminar this afternoon....I know I know anyone who has a job and is reading this is going - bloody students!!! :rolleyes:

Did manage about 45mins of pilates and stretching to ease out the kinks from yesterdays run though which was good. Calves feel really really really tight lately, is this normal or do I just need to be sure and really make sure to stretch them at every possible oppertunity?

Now I must depart to my desk and write an essay for the morning :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Best of luck with the log, just be careful with the tight calves, stretch them as much as possible as this can lead to a bout of shin splints, happened me last year and the reason for it was I was overdoing it. Look forward to reading another log ;)

Friday 27th Feb

Long night of essay writing meant I was shattered this morning so didn't run as planned - spent an extra hour in bed and settled for some pilates and stretching instead.

This afternoon however I got back to the plan and ran 4.85km in just under 30mins. Bizarrely found it harder than the 6km on Wednesday - body feels bit out of kilter or something! Need to sort out my eating and sleeping patterns me thinks....

Weekend 28th Feb/1st Mar

One word sums up this weekend - disaster!!

College work completed - nada!
    Running - nada!!

However today was such a sunny day that I did decide to go for a walk/hike (when does a walk turn into a hike? :confused:) in the woods that I have discovered are near my flat. Spring was definately in the air. I think the route I took was about 5km of lots of up and down, mixed terrain but as I said I was walking not running so it only half counts. Might try and run there during the week but avoid the vertical hill that had me using my hands for balance....

Tomorrow is meant to be a rest day and tuesday a short run but think i will switch them given my inactivity over the weekend and my busy day in college on tuesday.

• Advertisement

Monday 2nd March

45mins Pilates and stretching - no running - decided to stick to plan and take a rest day.

Tuesday 3rd March

Today was good and bad....but think I learnt some lessons. Slept late this morning so didn't get run in before class but a last minute chance in schedule meant that I had a little bit of time (half hour) to spare this afternoon so did 3.2km - felt great - could have done another 3.2km except for time constraints, twas after this however it went down hill. Friend popped round for dinner before we went climbing...so less than an hour after running was eating dinner and my stomach is clearly not a fan of the concept!!!! Then we hit the climbing wall and my legs kinda went - eh helloooooo, were we not doing stuff already like an hour and a half ago!!! And now the back of my left ankle hurts (fingers crossed it will be better in the morning) So lessons learned......

1. - Need to get more sleep!!! (so can run in morning)
    2. - I love the buzz from running and it does wake me up so must try remember this when I need to get out bed to fit a run in.
    3. - Running and food don't mix for me.....and definately not food sandwiched in between a run (even a little one) and climbing.....

So tomorrow i think 6km is on the aganda - must double check :p

Wednesday 4th March

Conference all day today in college so by the time I got home and procrastinated for a bit it was dark so decided to go to the sports centre instead of outdoors for my run, also due to my ankle still being a bit niggley I thought that maybe the cross-trainer might be a good idea - less impact and all that......think I almost 2miles but I not good with visualising miles and not sure what it is in km (will have to find a converter thingy)....would have done more but couldn't get the machine to let me do any more than 15mins at a time and the place was packed so didn't want to be hogging the machine either...no class tomorrow so no excuses - will go for proper run.....and then I home to Ireland tomorrow evening - woohoo :):D:)

Thur 5th March

Ah life is good. Long weekend for me started this morning with some pilates, stretching and then went for a run, for the first time with no music....plan was to do 6.5 but the weather was so nice and I found a new path I can add on to route to avoid having to do laps of the same area too much and without the head phones in I could hear all the ducks down at the lake and hear horses and goats as well...this town is actually starting to grow on me! So all in all I did just over 7.5km including some icky hills which are pretty much unavoidable round here....took me 50mins but I'm not worried about speed at the moment...just want to get up to being able to run 10k without keeling over....figure speed will come with time as i get stronger.

Not sure how much I'll do over the weekend, I am back in Ireland and between seeing the romantic interest in this little saga of mine ;), catching up the college gang, seeing the folks and popping into the library I probably won't have a lot of time to spare!! :D

Today : 7.7km
    This week: 13.7km

Late(ish) Tues 10th March

I am back in the land of chocolate and beer after the weekend at home. Didn't get any running done but did get biomechanic analysis (I am a pronater, a heel striker and in need of arch support), got new runners (assics something or other), paid a visit to my lovely physio who went over some extra stretches with me and gave me a clean bill of health......so tomorrow plan is to break in the new runners with a 4 or 5 km run and try out the new stretches :)

But now its bed time - why oh why are flights always at crazy o'clock in the morning......

Friday 13th March

so run never happened on wednesday or thursday.....was feeling all sorry for myself - yada yada yada :o

Today however went for little run....meant to be just 3km as haven't run in a week and also was the first run for the new runners but I got lost so had to add another km to get myself home - was fine although my calves are like fecking elastic bands (or something else very tight, couldn't quite think of metaphor) but hopefully the new stretches that physio gave me will make a difference. Tomorrow most likely going to do hike rather than run but sure tis all exercise :p

Today 4km
    This Week 4km
    To Date (since 16th Feb) 46.2km

• Advertisement

Saturday 14th March

No run but....did some Pilates and stretching and a small hike in the woods near me....was fun but unfortunately the two trails marked out are both only 3km long so even if you combine them you only end up with about 5km (they over lap for a wee bit hence not 6km) and I find it a bit boring to do laps of the place so going to have to find some other places near me.....i feel a trip to the map shop coming on :D

Sunday 15th March

Nice evening for running, aiming for 6km, started out well, although possibly a little fast but no matter what route I take from my house i have steepish down hill for the first km or so and gravity has a habit of taking over - nearly takes less energy to just let go than to try and pace myself going down hill on steep hills....was going okay, lots of ups and down, and keeping pace steadyish until I added a new hill at 4km (ish) - it wasn't even very long but it distroyed me! Had to stop to catch my breath :(....so the last km was not the prettiest and I took a minor detour and got slighly disorientated so when I realised I was actually beside my house I just went in rather then run around the block to make up the extra half km. According to garmin avg pace was 6.19/km which is slower than normal for me but I'm blaming that fecking hill - I will conqour it!!! :p

Today 5.5km
    This Week 9.5km
    To Date (since 16th Feb) 51.7km

Monday 16th March

yesterday was rest day which was grand for me.....college is fecking mental at the moment so had project meetings, and lots of other boring stuff to do.

Tuesday 17th March

Not a typical St Patricks Day at all - wanta be at home :(.....class from 8.30am - 4.30pm, got talked into giving a pint of blood at lunch time (instead of drinking a pint of guiness) and then this evening was climbing - running plan was supposed to be easy 5km and while I was in the mood for it after climbing, my stomach was growling at me and I was starting to get the headache I get when my body is complaining about the lack of food so decided to be sensible and eat dinner - now 45mins later glad I did cause I am pooped and I definately am getting up in the morning for the 6.5km on the plan.....possible the first 18th March (of my adult life) with no hangover!!

Today 0km
    This Week 0km
    To Date (since 16th Feb) 51.7km

Wednesday 18th March

Do not want to dwell on it - feel pooped!! Slept for 14hours, still feel wrecked, went for my 'long run' of the week - aim was 6.5km managed only 1.13km at slower pace than normal before just had to stop...might have managed a bit longer if my head was in right place but it wasn't.....tomorrow another day I guess

Today 1.13km
    This Week 1.13km
    To Date (since 16th Feb) 52.83km

Thursday 19th March

After yesterday's dismal effort I decided to give it another try today....not sure what has happened to my fitness but struggled with what two weeks ago I could manage not easily but certainly without stopping.....wonder is it because I've started leaving the music at home? :rolleyes: Anyway completed (mostly running with two walking breaks of maybe 100 - 200 metres) 5.7km.

The 'plan' calls for a fartlekk session tomorrow but to be honest I think at this stage I need to work more on just running, going nice and slow and steady until I can make it to maybe 10km without dieing....then I'll start worrying about speed. That said if I feel good in the morning maybe I'll try to do a mini fartlekk thingy in the middle of run.

Today 5.7km
    This Week 6.83km
    To Date (since 16th Feb) 58.53km

Thursday 2nd April

Well I've done sweet f**k all the last few weeks, :( mainly because of a bad cold and cough which made breathing painful without even attempting to run anywhere.....however am almost better :)

Not sure how much I will get done over the next three weeks as I will be away for three weeks....France, Ireland, Bosnia - some of it work some of it fun but the runners are coming with me so I hope to get out for a few runs along the way so that I don't loose all the gains I made before I got KOed by a fecking cold.

Am signing up for the Adamstown 8km at the end of May so I now have a short-term goal....fingers crossed I manage it :)

Ahh sunshine is good!! Having spent a few days resting my brian and not going near a college book, ignoring college related emails and refusing to think about exams, papers, presentations or thesis. I feel much much better. Didn't do much running really but ALOT of walking :). Below is a mini log for what little running I did do:

Mon 6th April Biarritz

30min slow run (with some walking breaks) after only 2 weeks felt as though I am back where I started :( Not sure how far I ran but reckon was only about 2km. Need for walking breaks was annoying especially when they were mostly brought on by bouts of coughing, even though I thought my cough was gone! More disturbing was that I was hacking up lumpts of green gunk!! :confused:

New Training Plan....

I signed up for the Adamstown 8km on May 24th before I went on holidays so put together a wee training plan while I was away to bring me up to the race. As I am somewhat new to this, advice is appricated.......(if anyone out there is listening).

My aim is to finish the race in less than 50mins without keeling over so if my calculations are correct that involves average pace of about 6mins 10secs/km.

What I've tried to incorporate into my plan is a weekly long(er) run, a medium run, a short run, a speed session and a hilly session to help with endurance plus lots of hills where I live so I might as well use them.

I'm not sure how to get a table to come on this thing...... :confused: so sorry if this is hard to read....

Mondays - Rest
    Tuesdays - Short run: 2k easy; 3k easy; 4k race pace; 5k race pace; 4k race pace; 3k easy
    Wednesday - Long run: 4km easy; 6km easy; 8km easy; 10km easy; 8km easy; 5km
    Thursday - Rest
    Friday - Speed: 3k fartlek; pyramid 1; pyramid 2; pyramid 3; pyramid 2 (1 is the easiest one, 3 is hardest one); rest
    Saturday - Med: 2.5k easy; 4k easy; 5.5k easy; 6.5k easy; 4k easy; 2k easy
    Sunday - Hilly: 200m x 4; 200m x 6; 400m x 4; 400m x 6; 400m x 4; RACE

Friday 10th April

back in blaa land - woohoo!! :D

Went for a run this morning, did 3.19km in 18mins. No cough and only stops were for traffic. Avg Pace was 5.41/km which is a kinda fast - no way could sustain it for another 10mins and also wasn't consistent - need to focus on having a steady pace rather than crazy fluctuations. In fact to be honest, I just need to concentrate more full stop, stopped bringing music with me so I wouldn't get distracted but sure I'm distracted by everything...haha!!

Plan for rest of week is to maybe run tomorrow if I feel like it, and definitely run sunday. Both days keep it below 5km and try and keep the pace somewhat steady rather than slow fast slow fast slow fast.....etc And then next week I start the plan for Adamstown.

Today 3.19km
    This Week 3.19km
    To Date (since 16th Feb) 61.72km

Tuesday 14th April

technically the second day of new plan but seen as monday's are rest days feels like the first day.

So did an easy 2.1km at lunch time in just under 13mins (12.59). Avg pace was 6min 7sec/km

Cross training this evening on the climbing wall and Tomorrow's plan is 4km

Today 2.1km
    This Week 2.1km
    To Date (since 16th Feb) 63.63km

Wednesday 15th April

this was the longer run of my week but I kinda messed it up a wee bit. Only have tiny shorts home with me for running and twas a nasty day out so I decided to go the gym and do some weights as well.....that was all good and then I was to finish with 4km on the treadmill.....except I couldn't figure out how fast to make the treadmill go so I started off waaaaayyyyy to slow and the speeded it up....but still felt like I wasn't going fast enough even though I think I was running faster than I would outside but I guess without wind and bumps etc its easier to run on the treadmill - IF IT WEREN'T SO FECKING BORING....

In the end I managed 3.5km of utter boredom - my legs could have easily completed the last .5km but I knew I was running late to meet friends and I was bored silly so I cheated and stopped! :( I know - shocking attitude!!!

Today 3.5km
    This Week 5.6km
    To Date (since 16th Feb) 67.13km

Thursday 16th April

Today is offically a rest day - tomorrow calls for 3km fartlekk which I hope to get done either in the morning or during lunch :)

• Advertisement

My last week

more planes, more trains, more buses....meetings, briefings, security checks, wonderful people, horrific stories from a former war zone and I think i fell in love with the country (Bosnia) but alas no running!

Tomorrow I begin again......

Trying to balance anything normal in life with finals is impossible!! If anyone knows how to manage I am all ears!! So I've given up on having a 'plan' and the new unplan is between now and handing in my last paper run when I can for as long (or little) as I can....so far that has meant that in the past week all i have managed is one early morning run last wednesday...

Wednesday 6 May

6.30am run - love that spring is here...was in a hurry though because I had to catch the train at 8am for a conference thingy in brussels but did one small loop that I do, was 2.6km, and I did it in 15min 24 sec - avg pace of 5.53km/min which is probably too fast really if I was going to be running for much further but I'm not sure how to go slower, I already feel like I am shuffling round the place.

Today (that day) 2.62km
    This Week
    To Date (since 16th Feb) 64.34k

Hopefully tomorrow I wil drag my lazy ass out of bed in time for a run....

Monday 18th May

The un-plan continues....went for a run this morning decided to aim to run for about half an hour, and try and go slow because I have a bad habit of going out waaaayyy too fast which is fine if I'm trying to squeeze in a quick 3km or something but if I want to be able to build on the distance I can run I need to be able to run for longer timewise...and for the first time ever I managed to keep the pace slow(ish)...did 4.82km in just over 31mins with an average pace of 6.28/km.

Adamstown is less than a week away and my training kinda has not happened so I am trying to decide to even do the race or not - half of me is just do it, take my time and cross the line to get the whole first race of adult life over and done with....other half is - haha!! You gonna collapse if you try and run in a race!! After this morning the first half is winning but it remains a close contest. :rolleyes:

Today 4.82km
    This Week 4.82km
    To Date (since 16th Feb) 69.13km

Tuesday 19th May

Went out for 20mins this morning....want to go for a long run tomorrow so didnt want to over do it but also didn't want to do nothing....so ran 3.27km in just over 20mins - average pace 6.27/km - think i prefer morning running to evening running even if it does mean getting up early!

Today 3.27km
    This Week 8.09km
    To Date (since 16th Feb) 72.4km

Wednesday 20th May

The un-plan continues......and I'm liking it! This morning I went out for my last longish run before Adamstown however I am not sure exactly how far I ran or how long I ran for due to a glitch with the garmin (human error I'm afraid :rolleyes:).

Think I was out about 45mins and I definately did 6km but really more but will only add the 6km to my totals etc.

Today 6km
    This Week 14.09km
    To Date (since 16th Feb) 78.4km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Irisheyes753

Hey there...

I'm after been in knots laughing at your blog, which is such an honest account of your running... It reminds me so much of myself (and the way I constantly tried to cheat myself when I started!!). I've only heard about the Adamstown run today and unfortunately I'll be away for it and the Women's Mini Marathon.

Ive recently started a training programme for the Dublin City Marathon - currently at Week 3. Maximum I've run so far was 5 miles last night... Although I did cheat a bit and did it on the treadmile in the gym... I just can't face going back out onto the roads just yet as I haven't done any road training since August last year....

I've got a rest day today and a 2 miler on the programme tomorrow - so might take to the roads for that!

I think I'll adapt your way of recording your training with the : TODAY; THIS WEEK; TO DATE (since...) method.... I think it'll be encouraging to see it up on the screen of how much I've achieved so far

Hey Irisheyes,

thanks for that...have to admit the little tally I do at the end I copied from someone elses log but like you say its nice to see the totals get bigger over time, even if it is very slowly in my case. Going to miss the women's mini marathon myself - have an exam in Belgium the next day so have to fly that day - in one way bummer but in another way that race is so annoying because the field is sooooo crowded - did it last year walking with two friends and even then because we would walk at a nice swift pace we found we were being held up by the crowd all the time, so couldn't imagine trying to run in it unless you had proven times and could get into the elite runners section!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Irisheyes753

Last year was the first time I had ever taken part in the WMM. I had never run before I started to train for it. A friend is a personal trainer/fitness instructor in the army and he kindly designed a 7 week programme which would take me from 0 - 10km in seven weeks. Jesus, the first day was the hardest day ever!! I had to run for 3 mins, walk for 1 min x 3 times... I thought my lungs were going to explode with the burning pain :mad: but I persevered with it and managed to complete the course in 58 mins, which I was estatic about. Then I enrolled for the Addidas Race Series in the Phoenix Park - I only managed to do the 5 miler (in 46 mins) and then busted my knee and pulled out of the 10 mile and Half Marathon...... which then lead to a period of 6 months of pure laziness!!!!

I'm so nervous about the big one in October but I'm thinking about doing a Chi-running workshop with Catherina McKiernan during the summer to help me prepare.

Apart from Adamstown, r u training for anything in particular?

well the origional plan was to attempt the DCM but it is looking highly unlikely that I will be back in Ireland for it, so am thinking I might aim for a spring one next year. Or even a half-marathon. I have no great desire to become one of these crazies running several marathons a year, think I would prefer the middle distances but I would like to complete at least one marathon in my lifetime - you know, tick it off the list and all that!! :D

Or if I were fitter, i've been reading some of the logs of the gang doing the IMRA runs and it sounds like soooo much fun so maybe in a year that will be something I can consider.

On a more short-term focus, after Adamstown I will be in Melbourne for 6 weeks from mid-June so trying to find a race down there and after that I have field work in indonesia so not really sure what will happen....

• Advertisement

No running today - instead some pilates and stretches this morning - calves are veeerrrrrry tight, so might try stretch them out again later.

Not sure if its the running or that I am suddenly driving lots (test in 8 days) - it is my left leg is particularly tight whcih is the one for the clutch so maybe its a combination of the two....I dunno!!! Will watch it though.

Advertisement