Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Around the World...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Sunday 24th May

Okay yesterday was my first race as a grown-up - was unbelievably nervous at the start, kept trying to just talk myself through the race, reminding myself of my plan etc etc and it more or less worked. My thoughts of the race are that it was well-organised, a beautiful day for a run, nice course - fairly flat and I almost made my time.

My only gripes are that Adamstown the place is constantly billed as an example of getting planning right in Ireland, with transport links, pedestrain friendly etc....so I got the train out from dublin but not a single sign near the train station telling ya where to go and also a water station would have been a god-send around the 5km mark especially seen as they were giving out bottles of water at the end anyway at the same time as giving out the goodie bags which also had lucazade sport in them - so they had the water, if I'm making sense.

So my actual race.....

as I said at the beginning I was very nervous, lined up in the joggers section, trying to keep back but just before we started the whole field squished up a bit so when we actually took off I was passed by what felt like a million people BUT very proud of myself, I stuck to my planned pace and avoided the temptation to go too fast....kept up the pace around the 6min/km until around 5km mark where i slowed slightly I think. Along the way, from about 3km I started to pass a few people that had passed me at the start so was well chuffed with that.

After about 5km, tiredness started to kick in a little and i slowed a wee bit but not too much, was going fine, still well on for under 50mins (I know I know, not a hugely ambitious time but tis a start) until about 6.5km when I started to feel nausous...and kinda lost my rythem. Luckily managed to pull myself together for the wee incline around the 7km mark, and even passed someone out at the end of it....started to feel good again, although tired obviously but knew I had enough to sprint at the end, just wasn't sure for how long so I held off until about 100metres/120metres when I just let go and ran as fast as i could. In hind sight possibly should have speeded up in two stages cause think i pulled something in my leg switching so quickly - am kinda hobbling today. Also could have kept that up for bit longer so should have started it earlier because my offical time was 50.04. Now I know its only 5seconds slower than my aim of anything under 50 but that was the time that was on the big clock when I finished the race, and I always thought that for chip timed races, there was a map or trigger or something at the start line that started your chip because obviously not being up the front of the race I didn't start at the 00.00 that the clock started at.

But all that said, very happy that I didn't set out too fast at the beginning because I do that in training and have been concentrating on not doing it. And more importantly I enjoyed it, and am happy enough with my time, especially given the heat which was somewhat warmer than what I had trained in - I am like a fecking tomato today...mental note, always always always wear sunscreen!!! :D Now I just need to find another race to sign up for!!

Yesterday 8.5km (including wee warm up)
    Last Week 22.59km
    To Date (since 16th Feb) 86.9km

Decided to take yesterday as a rest day as was still feeling the effects of Sunday. Happy report that today the stiffness is almost gone. Today had pilates this morning, run might be nice later but being realistice there is a family dinner this evening so chances are I won't get out.....

Definately plan to go out tomorrow morning though - just do 4 or 5 km. On another note doctor said my blood pressure is high so going to start paying more attention to what i eat as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Congratulations on the race! Don't worry at all about the time, what you should take out of this one is the experience and the confidence that should enable you to go out and compete in lots more races! Impressive report from a first timer - I couldn't remember half as much as you after my first race ;)

thanks xebec, yeah am trying to find a race now for when I am in Melbourne for the summer - only prob is that it is their winter and they don't seem to have any road races on....or at least none i can find on a basic google search - hehehe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭jlang

We can do winter races so I'm sure they can too. I was in Melb in June (long before I considered running) and while it wasn't shorts'n'sunglasses weather, it wasn't too cold. Melbourne's a big city and Aussies are big into their sport so I'm sure they have races once you can find them.

http://www.coolrunning.com.au/calendar/vic.php?TargetCal=VIC&Months=12
    http://home.vicnet.net.au/~roadrun/calendar.html

• Advertisement

thanks for those links jlang, just looking at them briefly there seems to be one or two that could fit in with my time table - will have a proper look later - thanks again :)

And yeah, have been in Melbourne before doesn't get too cold, but boy oh boy can it rain there!! Being Irish and well used to rain might give me an advantage over the home crowd - haha!! :D

Thursday 28th May

Was a lazy ass yesterday and did nothing so went for run this morning....4km but went and started too fast so had a moment of 'Ahhh my lungs are going to break' so slowed the pace down again....average pace was 6.11/km but not constant. Tomorrow think I will concentrate on steady pace as I want to go to the gym as well....

Today
    4.1km
    This Week 4.1km
    To Date (since 16th Feb) 91.0km

Friday 29th May

Didn't get out for run this morning because I had a driving test - failed! :(

Anywho, went to the gym at lunch time. Am staying with my mum for a few weeks at the moment so went here in Waterford and hadn't been to that particular gym in years so didn't know where things were or whatever....seems better than it was in the past though, so might go again...anywho back to running...did a wee warm-up on the stepper, some weights for strength and then a quick 2miles on the treadmill, not sure of my pace (maths not my strong point) but I did the 2miles (or 3.22km) in about 13mins, give or take.

Felt good and could have kept going but my mum was out of the pool and waiting for a lift home...and anyway treadmills are boring....no idea how anyone spends any length of time on them!!!

Today
    3.22km
    This Week 7.32km
    To Date (since 16th Feb) 94.22km

Saturday 30th May

New plan suggested 30mins of cross training but wasn't really sure what to do cause i had noone to go hiking with, and given the failure of driving test friday, couldn't drive to anywhere on my own - so I sat in sun for 30mins instead :D

Sunday 31st May

Note to self: there is a reason that the spanish traditionally take a siesta and its not cause they are lazy. Not realising how warm it was today I headed off for a run (aim 5km*) at 1pm - doh!! Was grand (but warm) for first 3.5k or there abouts, then started to get very thirsty and really feel the heat (might look into little water belt thingy cause if I just carry a bottle of water, I drop it frequently). Continued on and the niggle from last week in my right leg came back...figured I'd just keep going but it got worse until I had to give up and just fecking walk remainder of the way home :(

* due to an inability to judge distances beyond the rudimentary basics of 'near' and 'far' I ended up on a loop that was approximately 7km from start to finish

Anyway below are the new totals for the running bit - avg pace was 6.39/km

Today
    5.71km
    This Week 13.03km
    To Date (since 16th Feb) 99.93km

Had to go back to Belgium for my last exam on tuesday so the early half of the week a bit of a write off running wise but finished my last exam (possibly ever!!) so quite happy! Now just some papers and thesis to write - :eek:

Thursday June 4th

My birthday... :D Just headed out for a 2miler this morning and did a pilates session to work on core strength. Have a last figured out autolap on the garmin so below are totals updated and km splits....funky toy :)

Km 1: 6min 15
    Km 2: 6min 31
    Km 3: 5min 24
    467.5m: 2min 47 (avg pace 5.58/km)

Overall avg pace 6.03/km

I didn't intentionally speed up on third km - in fact was trying to be pretty constant so not really sure what happened! Might try and put some structure to my runs in next few weeks....and have a session where I do fartlek or intervals or something to work on speed.

Today 3.47km
    This Week 3.47km
    To Date (since 16th Feb) 103.40km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

i loved reading this,,so funny and honest,,well done ,,oh and happy birthday:)

Saturday 6th June

Passed my driving test yesterday so no longer tied to the whole having a qualified driver with me....so took the car to the beach for a run this morning....was fab, tide on the way out, sun shinning - bit of a wind unfortunately but sure you can't have everything. Splits are below and avg pace. Was doing well, until the 5th km which I guess was in part because I was tired but a lot of it was the very very strong wind blowing straight in my face. Pushed it for the last .7km against the wind to see if I could manage it at the quicker pace against the wind...I did but was pooped so couldn't have kept it up for much longer.

Km 1: 6min 06
    Km 2: 5min 56
    Km 3: 6min 02
    Km 4: 6min 02
    Km 5: 6min 38
    788.5m: 4min 45 (avg pace 6.01/km)

Overall avg pace 6.08/km

Today 5.79km
    This Week 9.26km
    To Date (since 16th Feb) 109.19km

Wednesday 10th June

Weekend was bit mental with packing and saying goodbye to people and stuff so wednesday did the following: Set out to do 4km, unfortunatly my internal route planner once again failed to grasp any distance beyond near and far so the loop actually only ended up being 3.5km....still what's 500m between friends! The actual run itself was great, really enjoyed it. After gettign a text message from my friend to say she'd be over soon I decided to do a tempo run so that I would be back to meet her. First tempo run I've done, other than Adamstown....avg pace of 5min 47 perkm is quick enough for me and actually quicker than I did in Adamstown although not sure I could have kept it up for another 4.5km. Think from now on each week I will ahve one fast run. This was my last run in Dublin for some time.....just arrived in melbourne - was quite nervous about leaving. Keep telling myself that this is normal and healthy but doesn't stop the jitters!!

Km 1: 5min 40
    Km 2: 6min 00
    Km 3: 5min 44
    500m: 2min 47 (avg pace 5.38)

Overall avg pace 5.47/km

Today 3.5km
    This Week 3.5km
    To Date (since 16th Feb) 112.69km

Sunday 14th June - Melbourne

Fairly uneventful 6km along the Yarra river....aim was to keep it slow enough but steady as it was my long run for the week....legs felt a bit heavy and after 1km was clear that my energy levels were down a bit. Avg pace of 6.38 which is ok, splits below....feel like utter crap now though. When I got back to where I am staying i had a shower, got changed etc, sipped on some water and went got breakfast...managed about 3 spoons of breakfast before having to give up..went for a number 2sey thinking would make me feel better - no! Was at reception confirming my booking for the next week or so when I had to make a mad dash to the bathroom where I got sick everywhere!!! So if anyone is reading this - is this normal? I mean is it just that I'm a bit jet lagged etc and should have given my body another day or two to recover? Or should I be concerned and the rejection of food!!!

Km 1: 6min 53
    Km 2: 6min 43 (this one was just under 1km avg pace 7.23)
    Km 3: 6min 30
    KM 4: 6min 21
    Km 5: 6min 36
    Km 6: 6min 18
    397m: 2min 29 (avg pace 6.18)

Today 6.31km
    This Week 9.81km
    To Date (since 16th Feb) 119.00km

Sunday 21st June

The last week has been mental, settling into the department, adjusting to being in the depths of winter again, the time difference and getting over the long flight....think I was dehydrated last week and in hindsight really shouldn't have run a mere 24hours after landing when I wasn't feeling perfect.

Ended up having to get those disgusting rehydration solution thingys and everything - was about wednesday before I was feeling perfect again. Major change of plans with research, no longer will be spending three months in Indonesia, which means I'll be able to train pretty much all the time between now and end of october so am going to sign up for the DCM....eck!!! Very nervous about it but have an 18week training schedule which starts tomorrow, have a 10k in a month, have the time, do enjoy running and have no crazy aspirations to do it sub-3 or anything, at the moment would be happy with a 4hr 30 but might review that when I am further into the training.

So tomorrow - runners going back on the feet :)

Monday 22nd June

Eased back into it today with a 4km run along the banks of the Yarra - was nice and without killing myself my pace seems to be picking up...in the past to run splits below would have killed me but now it feels easy (although I know they are still not fast by the standard of many people on here). Had an overall average pace of 5mins 52/km

Km 1: 6min 00
    Km 2: 5min 44
    Km 3: 5min 32
    KM 4: 6min 11
    369m: 2min 08 (avg pace 5:48)

Today 4.37km
    This Week 4.37km
    To Date (since 16th Feb) 123.37km

Tuesday 23nd June

A nice run this morning along the banks of the Yarra. Set out to do quicker then yesterday and succeeded although final splits are bit slower than first ones so not sure how far I could run at this pace. Avg pace overall was 5:40

Km 1: 5min 25
    Km 2: 5min 26
    Km 3: 6min 00
    KM 4: 5min 39
    675m: 3min 59 (avg pace 5:55)

Today 4.67km
    This Week 9.04km
    To Date (since 16th Feb) 128.04km

Wednesday 24th June

Gym session this morning, first time at the gym in uni here - have to say its pretty impressive - but then the gym in UCD sucks so maybe my expectations are low! Did some core-work and resistance stuff for legs and arms followed by 3.5km on the treadmill at 6min/km constant pace

Today 3.5km
    This Week 12.54km
    To Date (since 16th Feb) 131.54km

Thursday 25th June

Today is a rest day, few drinks last night made getting up this morning very difficult.....but will be glad to go for long(ish) run in the morning. Writing a thesis is just a ball of stress and chaos and running I think will keep me at least semi sane so 7.5km run planned for the morning before a full day of meetings and other boring stuff!

Saturday 27th June

went for a run with one of my collegues this (that) morning, along the beach front - was nice to run with someone and I went a bit faster and a bit further than i would have on my own which was also good...avg pace over the 8km was 6.07 but it wasn't very even as we started a bit fast. I blame M but then again I could have said, we're going to fast, lets slow down and try a pace we can maintain....but wasn't dead at the end either.

Km 1: 5min 51
    Km 2: 5min 56
    Km 3: 5min 50
    Km 4: 6min 13
    Km 5: 6min 03
    Km 6: 6min 18
    Km 7: 6min 18
    Km 8: 6min 25

Today 8km
    This Week 17.04km
    To Date (since 16th Feb) 136.04km

• Advertisement

Monday 6th July

My best friend got married last week so I had to fly back to europe - to cyprus to be exact. Had great intentions of doing a little bit of training while there, but the runners never left the ruck-sack and I've probably drunk enough to do me for the rest of the year!! Would like to think that the time spent in the water messing about was good cross-training but it probably wasn't, although my muscles do hurt. After two very long flights (c 24hours each in total) in the space of a week I am going to play it by ear early this week - no point in killing myself, but do want to get in a longish run at the weekend....

Tuesday 14th July

Well I pretty much haven't run for two weeks between long flights, jet lag, weddings, energy draining tiredness and once again what felt like dehydration following the flight to oz...(funny cause the other direction - not a bother!).

However no more excuses, I need to focus on my thesis and I need something healthy to stop me going insane while doing so....so have signed up for dublin city marathon (eck!!), have joined the gym in college and this morning got a programme done up to target mainly core and arms but also legs and gluts. Have also bought a book on sports nutrition (the nerd in me) and am determined to lose the 2 kilos I seem to have found since I left Ireland a month ago, and sure maybe another 2 with them but they are optional.

Following the new gym workout I did a mini run on the treadmill....started at 6.1km an hour, felt it was very easy, then realised that was because what I had intended was 10km per hour or 6min/km not the other way round (doh!!)...so after .5km switched up to 10km/hr and did another 3.17km steady pace, although the effort changed cause I had the treadmill on random so the incline varied from 0 - 3.6....no idea of splits as maths skills not the mae west, as can be seen from above!

Today 3.67km
    This Week 3.67km
    To Date (since 16th Feb) 139.71km

Might post this in the main forum for some advice but for now will leave it here...programme is more or less the following:

Monday: Strength work in the gym (AM) - maybe cross-training with the climbing club if I have the time (PM)

Tuesday: Relatively short run (highest it gets up to is 8km towards the end of the programme) - should I make this a speed(ier) session?? (AM or PM - ideally AM)

Wednesday: Not a long run but the longest of the short runs getting as high as 16km four weeks out from the marathon.

Thursday: Strength work in the gym (AM) AND a run pretty similar to the tuesday distances but will be run easy due to gym work. Need to figure out if I can do this directly after the gym or if I should make one an AM workout and the other a PM one.

Friday: Rest Day

Saturday: Long run - just realised that the longest run in the schedule is a 32km run which seems a little short given that the marathon is 42km (give or take)....maybe I should re-adjust this so I am at least getting up to 38km...Also maybe a pilates class on saturdays.

Sunday: Cross-train - here is a problem though because I don't have a bike here and I can't swim although I am considering getting lessons but I reckon they won't be available on sundays....given that monday is not running but gym might switch sat and sun plans....or plan it by ear and see how my weekends pan out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

spaceylou wrote: »
    Saturday: Long run - just realised that the longest run in the schedule is a 32km run which seems a little short given that the marathon is 42km (give or take)....maybe I should re-adjust this so I am at least getting up to 38km...Also maybe a pilates class on saturdays.

32km is about 20 miles, which is fairly normal for novice marathon training programs to include as their longest run.

thanks RK, was thinking about that afterwards but I think psychologically I need to do maybe a 35km run for my longest - just so that I am not running that last 10k for the first time....I keep hearing people joke that a marathon is like a 10k with a 20mile warm up so I dont want to have only ever done the "warm-up" if that makes sense.....:rolleyes:

Thursday 16th July

Following gym session on tuesday it was difficult to move yesterday. All the muscles in my body were screaming at me for being so cruel to them so I didn't run, hell I could barely walk!! Also had a physio session because my back has been a little bit tight and I with my history of dodgy back I wanted to be proactive and get it sorted before it got worse....so the only bit of me that wasn't screaming in the morning (ie my back) was screaming by the afternoon - physio was using her elbow on my poor back!! It hurt at the time, and it feels tender today but it does feel looser and I know in a few days it will be better.....just wish I could fast forward to that part!! haha.

Anywho, given that my back is actually worse than I had thought, and in a different section to my usual problamatic part I was instructed to take it easy this week, I can run but slow (more of a jog) and I am absolutely, without a doubt to return to pilates. So this means no race on sunday :( but seen as that wasn't a target race or anything, more something to keep training intersting I can live with that. Still bit disappointed though as the last race I did was the 8k in adamstown and I would have liked another similar length to see how I am progressing (or not).

Still being sensible, DCM09 is my current target and it is better to have these set backs now rather than in september or october. So did a run this morning more to get my body moving than anything else. First km was horrid but after that it got much easier, kept the pace really slow though just to be sure but set out to do 4 and did 5 and could have kept going except I had to get back to apartment so fairly happy even though the times are shocking slow avg pace of just 6:32min/km. And will buy a yoga mat this afternoon so can start doing pilates at home.

Also think that I made post-gym pain much worse by not stretching properly. By the time i finished I was bursting to go to the loo so the stretchs practically got forgotten - have learned my lesson, won't be happening again!

Today 5.04km
    This Week 8.71km
    To Date (since 16th Feb) 144.75km

Sunday 19 July

Nice run with some friends this morning. Started at the Yarra near the city and ran through three different parks to get us back out to St Kilda - is nice running with people and because my back is a bit dodgy and one of the lads hasn't been running so much lately we decided to stay slow....love that there are so many parks in Melbourne. Did 10k in 1:06:38 avg pace of 6:39/km - splits below

Km 1: 6:21
    Km 2: 6:18
    Km 3: 5:36
    Km 4: 6:44
    Km 5: 7:03
    Km 6: 6:16
    Km 7: 6:39
    Km 8: 8:14
    Km 9: 6:16
    Km 10: 7:01

(Note: Km 5 and 8 were a bit off as there was some navigational issues.....Km 10 was just tired)

Today 10.02km
    This Week 18.72km
    To Date (since 16th Feb) 154.77km

Monday 20th July

Enforced rest day today...was supposed to go to the gym to work on core but back still bit spasmy so had physio session instead and she is advising against gym work for another week :(. Did have some acupuncture as well, which was a first for me, apparently aids speedy recovery and means that my back is less likely to feel like I went 10 rounds with mike tyson because the work is focused on the exact spots that need it, more than all the surrounding tissue also - which if true gets a yippee from me!! Will report tomorrow, after my run :)

Today 0km
    This Week 0km
    To Date (since 16th Feb) 154.77km

Tuesday 21st July

Did you know that due to the low nutritional value of euceleptus koala's spend up to 20hours a day sleeping and resting (not high - this is a myth) - that is pretty much similar to my motivation levels when the alarm went off this morning....took me almost an hour to talk myself out of bed, decided to still go for run and just go to library an hour later than origional plan....aim was 3.5km but ended up doing 4.5 - enjoyed it but was alternating between 1. grr....hate mornings, hate running, legs tired, going too slow, am going to be passed by a snail any moment to 2. oh the sea looks lovely, oh there is a crazy person swimming in the sea, oh look at the pretty boats, its nice to be up early so on and so forth! Legs did feel heavy, guess sunday's long run (longest ever for me) is still in them. And yet even though I felt I was going crazy slow I did an avg of 6:06min/km which is not too bad.

On a brighter note, the acupuncture does seem to have made a difference to how my back feels post physio - i.e. do not feel like I was beaten up like I normally do!

Splits are bit messy cause had to cross a few roads and pause the thingy.

660m: 4:04 (avg pace 6:09)
    Km 2: 5:53
    Km 3: 6:19
    Km 4: 5:58
    277.9m: 1.39 (avg pace 5:59)
    589.1m: 3:42 (avg pace 6:18)

Today 4.53km
    This Week 4.53km
    To Date (since 16th Feb) 159.30km

• Advertisement

Wednesday 22nd July

This morning was the 'medium run' of the week - somewhat encouraging to think that this distance was my 'long' run a few weeks ago :D Highly uneventful run, lots of people out and about which was nice and find running beside the sea really relaxing. Legs are feeling little heavy but still strong if that makes sense...guess I've uped the millage (kilometrage) in the last few weeks so body needs to get used to it.

Ran 8.42km this morning in 52:56 avg pace 6:17. Trying not to think about pace too much and just stay comfortable and increase the distance to build endurance but feel I am getting slower, and its not like I was fast to begin with! Might throw some fartlek or something into one of my short runs just to make it more fun.

Also even though I don't want to get hung up on pace I need to concentrate on starting slower and building up. Am reading Anita Beans book about sports nutrition and how your body gets energy so scientifically it makes sense to start slow so my heart and lungs and speed up enough to switch to aerobic energy production....at the moment i start bit fast and end up slowing down in the middle before speeding up again towards the end, generally spurred on by thoughts of breakfast and coffee.

Km 1: 5:48
    Km 2: 5:59
    Km 3: 6:10
    Km 4: 6:25
    Km 5: 6:34
    Km 6: 6:40
    Km 7: 6:30
    Km 8: 6:10
    421m: 2:36 (avg pace 6:11/km)

Today 8.42km
    This Week 12.95km
    To Date (since 16th Feb) 167.72km