Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam: Whats the point of it?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

did anyone notice Valve's newspost on DRM today?

Steamworks Makes DRM Obsolete

The title of the article doesn't seem appropriate to its content. Isn't DRM one of the Steam's features? Who are Valve trying to mislead by claiming to make DRM "obsolete"?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Steamworks Makes Other DRM Obsolete

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I hate steam so much! I just bought saints row 2 but it won't let me play it. It's trying to download an update and won't start because it says the servers are busy, why do I need to connect to a server to play the single player game? I've never come across a game that won't let you play until it's been patched.

I spent 30 minutes trying to search their forum but it was fruitless because their anitspam thing is almost completely illegible. So I signed up on the forum but I'm told I don't have permissions to post on any of the forums.

I'm still waiting to play HL2. I bought it when it came out and played it for a while on an old PC which wasn't up to the task. I've sent emails off to recover the old account about once every year since and have yet to get a response from them. I convinced Steam don't actually have a customer support department.

If I'd known saints row was a steam game I probably wouldn't have bought it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Hey ScumLord, the error message you are getting is pretty common unfortunately and it is very misleading. Did you read over this?

Also when contacting support are you doing so by creating an incident report ticket - link.

In relation to the forums, the anti-spam CAPTCHA was beefed up recently due to spam attacks, however this is due to be addressed soon. An admin will get around to activating your account shortly, it usually only takes a matter of three to four hours and at the very worst 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Thanks for the help but nothings working.

That list of programs that conflict with steam is almost funny, it basically every program. I'm having no problem logging into steam where I can see their shop. It's attempting to download the update but it's just going around in a loop. It did start the download the first time it tried (telling me I could play the game in 4 hours!) but then steam froze and I had to restart the PC to get rid of it.

Turned off Skype, anti virus and firewall, no luck. I'm on a wireless connection and have no choice in the matter. I have no problem running rockstar social club.

And whats the bet the shop won't take the game back because they have a policy of not accepting returns on PC games. Steam have managed to con me yet again.

I did create a new ticket sent them off pictures of the case with the serial number on it. Tried updating the ticket but there's only so many years of my life I can dedicate to trying to get a game to work and I do mean years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Steam servers are down right now. I keep getting kicked off TF2 because Im not signed in. Cant access achievements or anything.
    Got a message earlier saying servers are down for maintenance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

ScumLord wrote: »
    I did create a new ticket sent them off pictures of the case with the serial number on it. Tried updating the ticket but there's only so many years of my life I can dedicate to trying to get a game to work and I do mean years!

It can usually take between 2-4 working days for support to reply, if your ticket is showing up here then Valve will get to it as they deal with tickets in order of when they were received.
    Jumpy wrote: »
    Steam servers are down right now. I keep getting kicked off TF2 because Im not signed in. Cant access achievements or anything.
    Got a message earlier saying servers are down for maintenance.

Aye, the friends network was down earlier but the issue was fixed . . . although there are still some users reporting that they are still having issues.

Can you actually connect to the friends network now?

Advertisement