Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Fitness in Cork

Options
  • 25-02-2009 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭

I thought it was best to create a thread for chatting about running and walking and so on in Cork before we derail the Cork beers thread with non beer talk :) out of respect for the OP.

So umm yes...running I don't do enough of it. Anyone interested in coming out running with me starting from next week? I find that when you are meeting someone to go running you can't really chicken out, unlike when you are going solo. The phrase "ah sure I'll do it tomorrow" comes to mind.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

I'll just copy & paste my response from the othr thread so :)

I usually run Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday.

I stretch before hand, think PE old school stretches, I started walking up towards Cork Con, down the Boremanor road and back up around, no longer than 20 mins to start with (early days) quickly built up to jogging/running for about 40mins to an hour each of those nights then.

Now, I do my stretches then I run up too the Silverkey, down the Well Road, length of Douglas road and back up by Bel Air then back home. When I'm in the door I jave the dumbells, doing 4 sets on each arm. 15 each time. Then I do 2 sets of squats with them and a few more stretches, perhaps a few crunches.

I don't too too much, once I find a good gym I'm sure I'll start doing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Vinta81 wrote: »
    I'll just copy & paste my response from the othr thread so :)

I usually run Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday.

I stretch before hand, think PE old school stretches, I started walking up towards Cork Con, down the Boremanor road and back up around, no longer than 20 mins to start with (early days) quickly built up to jogging/running for about 40mins to an hour each of those nights then.

Now, I do my stretches then I run up too the Silverkey, down the Well Road, length of Douglas road and back up by Bel Air then back home. When I'm in the door I jave the dumbells, doing 4 sets on each arm. 15 each time. Then I do 2 sets of squats with them and a few more stretches, perhaps a few crunches.

I don't too too much, once I find a good gym I'm sure I'll start doing more.

Thanks, I'm conscious of going off-topic on someone else's thread.
    Do you always run/walk alone?

I really must start doing something next week...If I could do something 3 nights to start with that would be good :) last thing I did was jogged / ran from my house to Cork Con and back. I was fecked afterwards!! I have heard of people running for 10 mins, then walking for 5, then repeating this 4 times to make up an hour. Sound like a good idea to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

That is a good way to start running. To get you into it at least.

When I start running after a long period of inactivity, I just do fifteen minute slow jogs twice or three times a week. Depending on how unfit/fit you are. And slowly build that up.

And stretching is the most important thing in the world ever.

Yes, I've been a bit crap with all my off topicness today haven't I?

Always alone, like I said earlier my friends think it's either too cold, boring or too far (lazy sods).

Stopping and starting is good actually, I did read something about it, keeps your heart racing or something, then again I could be talking absolute codswallop lol.

3 nights sounds good to me! You don't want to over due it but you also want a pattern there so you're not just doing it for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Oh the days when I was fit. I always did find running a bit boring though.

• Advertisement

That is a good way to start running. To get you into it at least.

When I start running after a long period of inactivity, I just do fifteen minute slow jogs twice or three times a week. Depending on how unfit/fit you are. And slowly build that up.

And stretching is the most important thing in the world ever.

Thanks for that :) I think I'll aim for 1 hour on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday of next week. Would like to say Wednesday also but we will see :D
    Yes, I've been a bit crap with all my off topicness today haven't I?

Always alone, like I said earlier my friends think it's either too cold, boring or too far (lazy sods).

Stopping and starting is good actually, I did read something about it, keeps your heart racing or something, then again I could be talking absolute codswallop lol.

3 nights sounds good to me! You don't want to over due it but you also want a pattern there so you're not just doing it for the sake of it.

Well I'd happily go running with you (or anyone else that is reading this), on the understanding that I'm unfit :( and would take a while to get into a routine. Running is boring alone imo :(
    Your grand about going off topic I do it all the time :(
    Kersmash wrote: »
    Oh the days when I was fit. I always did find running a bit boring though.

It is when ya have to do it alone. Even with just an ipod it is running. Still though I would prefer running outdoors than to a gym.

I wouldn't mind teh company could start with walking or jogging.

I think it depends on the person, sometimes I love running with my music blaring. I'm making my new playlist now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

I find the eye candy is enough to get me into the gym..and keep me there also.

kingtut wrote: »
    It is when ya have to do it alone. Even with just an ipod it is running. Still though I would prefer running outdoors than to a gym.

Same with me. Went to the gym once or twice and never really got into it. Just not my thing.

Running can be the most boring thing in the world if you let it be (which I did)
    But if you're aiming for something and achieving it's extremely rewarding.

This guy knows where it's at:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055401829

I wouldn't mind teh company could start with walking or jogging.

I think it depends on the person, sometimes I love running with my music blaring. I'm making my new playlist now :)

So maybe sometime next week would be good for you? I do not want you having to slow down or change your routine because of me....
    Ye I think even if the people are not talking to each other for whatever reason it is always better than going it alone. What music do you usually run to? Do you make the music last as long as your run time if that makes sense?

Oh and I play for two tag rugby teams during the summer so would be good to be fit before I start training for that rather than only becoming fit once the season ends:(
    I find the eye candy is enough to get me into the gym..and keep me there also.

lol :D I guess that is one way of looking at it.

• Advertisement

So maybe sometime next week would be good for you? I do not want you having to slow down or change your routine because of me....
    Ye I think even if the people are not talking to each other for whatever reason it is always better than going it alone. What music do you usually run to? Do you make the music last as long as your run time if that makes sense?

lol :D I guess that is one way of looking at it.

Sure. we can try sort it off, I might do a beer night first if that's cool? just so i know you won't run me into an alley and kill me :D

I have a long, long playlist. Right now I've got some 80s music (you spin me right round, shook me all night long etc..) Eminem (angry dude but it makes you go fast), Britney (workout staple), Justin, Jackson 5, Kings of Leon, Guns n Roses, Oasis (whats the story), Kanye, Beyonce, Lady GAGA and the like.

Sure. we can try sort it off, I might do a beer night first if that's cool? just so i know you won't run me into an alley and kill me :D

I have a long, long playlist. Right now I've got some 80s music (you spin me right round, shook me all night long etc..) Eminem (angry dude but it makes you go fast), Britney (workout staple), Justin, Jackson 5, Kings of Leon, Guns n Roses, Oasis (whats the story), Kanye, Beyonce, Lady GAGA and the like.

Note to self - she found out about the alley, switch to Plan B - hit in head with pool cue
    Ye that's grand gives me time to get some running practice in :D. Well we will be playing pool and having beer tomorrow if you are around. 5 confirmed so far. Details are in the Cork Social Outings thread.

I'm liking your play list!

I'll see! I don't think we had plans to go out this week, so i might pop by although I'm a bit of a pillock with pool now, used to be good now not so much, so as long as we're not putting money on it lol.

My playlist is random and eclectic but it does the job.

I don't think we had plans to go out this week, so i might pop by although I'm a bit of a pillock with pool now, used to be good now not so much, so as long as we're not putting money on it lol.

My playlist is random and eclectic but it does the job.

we ?? Is that you and your split personality :D

Well we will have the final of our tournament on tomorrow which people played €2 to enter. So if you come you will just have to pay for the games you play. I was kicked out in the first round so tomorrow I am just playing for fun.

Well if ya don't make tomorrow there will always be something else. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

static stretching before you run is asking for trouble. You can start running straight from a standstill but best to ease into it, even better is a dynamic warmup. Static stretching after running is still debated. It's pretty clear it does nothing to enhance performance, might even hinder it, but there is some evidence that it helps prevent injury in some people.

Run-walk programmes are ideal for new runners who feel their fitness is limiting them. A great beginner programme is the couch to 5 km
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    http://www.c25k.com/

Another great motivator is to enter a race. An ideal one for Cork folk would be to run the Cork marathon as a relay in June. There are 4 sections of varying length so bound to be one to suit everyone.

we ?? Is that you and your split personality :D

Well we will have the final of our tournament on tomorrow which people played €2 to enter. So if you come you will just have to pay for the games you play. I was kicked out in the first round so tomorrow I am just playing for fun.

Well if ya don't make tomorrow there will always be something else. :)

Aw you figured me out! I'm Schizophrenic and so am I!

I'll try, I'm working till 6 I think, what time are ye heading there?

Another great motivator is to enter a race. An ideal one for Cork folk would be to run the Cork marathon as a relay in June. There are 4 sections of varying length so bound to be one to suit everyone.

I love this idea!! Thanks for the suggestion.
    Aw you figured me out! I'm Schizophrenic and so am I!

I'll try, I'm working till 6 I think, what time are ye heading there?

lol

ye it will be a push for me after work also. The people playing in the tournament should be there around 7pm but anytime after that is fine. I'll pm you my number so if you are going to make it you can let me know and I'll meet you at the door.

Have you any more info on that? It looks pretty interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Have you any more info on that? It looks pretty interesting.
    google is your friend
    http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/

Can anyone recommend to me any decent gyms in the city that are pay as you go as well as subscription?

I want to find a gym that I can walk to from my house (which is a 10/15 min walk from Patrick St). I'd rather not have to drive somewhere as I feel that this defeats the purpose of exercising.

I went running last night for the first time in a while, didn't do as well as I hoped...well I did rubbish to be honest! I think combining running with the gym would help, these things are always easier when there are people around. My muscles are a bit sore after yesterday so no running today, just a 1hour steady walk.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Can anyone recommend to me any decent gyms in the city that are pay as you go as well as subscription?

I want to find a gym that I can walk to from my house (which is a 10/15 min walk from Patrick St). I'd rather not have to drive somewhere as I feel that this defeats the purpose of exercising.

I went running last night for the first time in a while, didn't do as well as I hoped...well I did rubbish to be honest! I think combining running with the gym would help, these things are always easier when there are people around. My muscles are a bit sore after yesterday so no running today, just a 1hour steady walk.

Thanks!

The Gym out by CIT, can't remember the name, is Pay as you go. If you have a bike then cycle there. If not then walk at a brisk pace. Also the Lockerroom could be, but that's more of a Weights place AFAIK.

When you went running how did you do it? Did you run until you couldn't run anymore and then just stop, or did you walk for a bit, then start running again?

I did the Run-walk-run-repeat as necessary when I started back and it has helped lots!!!!

Are you spending at least 15 minutes warming up? and Warming down? Do so, or you WILL Suffer Shin splints and muscle fatigue.

Just keep hammering at it and don't quit for anything!!!! Keep a log here, where people know you, that will give you all the motivation you need.

Keep at it mate!!!

The Gym out by CIT, can't remember the name, is Pay as you go. If you have a bike then cycle there. If not then walk at a brisk pace. Also the Lockerroom could be, but that's more of a Weights place AFAIK.

When you went running how did you do it? Did you run until you couldn't run anymore and then just stop, or did you walk for a bit, then start running again?

I did the Run-walk-run-repeat as necessary when I started back and it has helped lots!!!!

Are you spending at least 15 minutes warming up? and Warming down? Do so, or you WILL Suffer Shin splints and muscle fatigue.

Just keep hammering at it and don't quit for anything!!!! Keep a log here, where people know you, that will give you all the motivation you need.

Keep at it mate!!!

Thanks.
    My plan was to do 10min run, 5 min walk, 10 min run etc up to an hour (so 4 of each)...gave up after the 2nd 10 min run... (so I never stopped completely just walked)

Then I did intermitent running / walking on my way back home.
    I stretched before hand but not afterwards.....do you think it is sensible walking tonight instead of running?

Maybe not in your area, but Fitnessworx in Donnybrook is pay as you go also.

http://www.fitnessworx.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Thanks.
    My plan was to do 10min run, 5 min walk, 10 min run etc up to an hour (so 4 of each)...gave up after the 2nd 10 min run... (so I never stopped completely just walked)

Then I did intermitent running / walking on my way back home.
    I stretched before hand but not afterwards.....do you think it is sensible walking tonight instead of running?

If you are actually in pain then yes walk, but still stretch for 15 mins(minimum time, I spend 20 mins usually!!!), from top to toe..

With regards to what you did last night. Don't give up EVER. Just keep hammering away at it. It won't kill you and can only make you fitter.

How's your general Diet? Do you smoke? If you smoke, then use this time to switch addictions. Start running instead of smoking.

Also, everytime you get a chance throughout the day, drop and do 10 push-ups. or 10 situps.

All this will build you up faster!!!

I would post the link to my logs so you could see it can work, but it is on a Private board on a different website so it would not be possible for you to access!!!

Advertisement