Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone speak easy with bill pay sim

• 25-02-2009 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to buy an iPhone on the speak easy package and put my bill pay sim into it or will I have to jail break it? I'm stuck in a contract and am not eligible for an upgrade (2 years waiting and have been told I don't spend enough so unlikely to see an upgrade at all).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

20goto10 wrote: »
    Is it possible to buy an iPhone on the speak easy package and put my bill pay sim into it or will I have to jail break it? I'm stuck in a contract and am not eligible for an upgrade (2 years waiting and have been told I don't spend enough so unlikely to see an upgrade at all).

If it is an O2 sim then no problem.

Jailbreak anyway, besides the fact that most good things are only jailbreak, do it because they tell you not to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Great thanks. Does anyone know what they charge for 3G if you're not on an iPhone tariff? Will 3G even be possible? I just have a standard phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

3G is really just the speed of your connection. Same price as GPRS would be. 3G speeds will be possible once your device supports it and there is 3G coverage in the area. It's not tariff dependant.

Data is charged 1c per KB if you're on billpay and don't have a data addon. You can get a couple of addons. I suggest 250MB for €7.50 / month or 1GB for €15 / month (those prices are gone up by a couple of cent due to recent VAT changes I think) and see how it goes from there.

Have a look here for data addons: http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Explore+Services/Price+plans/Pay+monthly/Data+pricing/ and here for data pricing without addons http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Explore+Services/Price+plans/Pay+monthly/Other+call+charges

Ah ok thanks. I should be set to go so :-)

Ah ok thanks. I should be set to go so :-)
    Just make sure you buy a data addon or you'll be back here in a week complaining about your €400 bill from O2 :)

• Advertisement

Random wrote: »
    Just make sure you buy a data addon or you'll be back here in a week complaining about your €400 bill from O2 :)
    Will do. I'll start with the 250mb and keep an eye on my usage. Do you know is there any other wifi enabled phones out there? Any that give the iPhone a run for its money?

I hate the iPhone. I think it's an over-priced, over-hypred piece of machine. But that's my opinion.

I think you're far better off with something like the Nokia n95 8gig. It's the one I use. It's got wifi, 5meg camera, high speed internet, GPS, music player, web browser, massive range of third party apps, etc.

Why do you want the iPhone? What features are you looking from in your new phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Any that give the iPhone a run for its money?

In terms of features, there are plenty.

As Random says, it all depends on what you want a phone to do.

As an iPhone owner, I want music, internet and decent games (check out Warfare Incorporated :)). And I am not for a minute blinded by it's many shortcomings, but they key is what you want to do with a phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Why do you want the iPhone? What features are you looking from in your new phone?
    Ah the amount of times people cant give an answer to this :D

Not saying the OP cant but the amount of people know who want an iphone but dont know why shows the power of hype :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Stream

If it is an O2 sim then no problem.

i didnt realise this. if I buy a iphone on O2 speakeasy, I can then throw away the O2 sim card and get an O2 clear sim with a data add on? and i don't have to unlock the phone?

didn't realise that unlocking the phone was only needed for non O2 networks.

• Advertisement

Ah the amount of times people cant give an answer to this :D

Not saying the OP cant but the amount of people know who want an iphone but dont know why shows the power of hype :)

This is true :(
    Stream wrote: »
    if I buy a iphone on O2 speakeasy, I can then throw away the O2 sim card and get an O2 clear sim with a data add on?

Yes
    and i don't have to unlock the phone?

correct

This is true :(

Yes

correct

If I bought an iphone in the north, would I be locked to O2 UK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

If I bought an iphone in the north, would I be locked to O2 UK?

Yes. You would have to unlock it before you could put your O2 Ireland sim in it. Which in itself isn't a major deal.

Remember, they are completely different companies.

Yes. You would have to unlock it before you could put your O2 Ireland sim in it. Which in itself isn't a major deal.

Remember, they are completely different companies.

thanks. I only ask because I'm likely to be moving to UK in a few months time so don't want to be locked to any specific O2 network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

thanks. I only ask because I'm likely to be moving to UK in a few months time so don't want to be locked to any specific O2 network.

There are no jobs there either, dont bother.

To be honest there is some niggling doubt. I have an iPod touch, so I'm aware of most of the features already. I want music, video, decent web browsing, camera (I know the iPhone one is not very good) and most importantly wifi and free VOIP. GPS is not that important to me but location based apps do look pretty useful. I'm also able to get free applications for it :)

I'm open to persuasion though :)

There are no jobs there either, dont bother.

hence i'm only likely to go....:)

To be honest there is some niggling doubt. I have an iPod touch, so I'm aware of most of the features already. I want music, video, decent web browsing, camera (I know the iPhone one is not very good) and most importantly wifi and free VOIP. GPS is not that important to me but location based apps do look pretty useful. I'm also able to get free applications for it :)

I'm open to persuasion though :)
    I like the Nokia 8gig then :)

Advertisement