Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour building

Options
  • 25-02-2009 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

Not sure if anyone can help here of if there is anything i can do, but here goes.
    Bought a house in the last 12 months and recently my neighbour started building a new extension. The PP was all done before i bought but they hadn't started for a while.
    Thing is, the new extension is 4 foot over the joining wall but also blocks out light into my kitchen (terraced house). So my small back yard is now like a cement hole.
    Just seeing if there is anything where a property can't block out so much light into an adjoining property or is it a case of "should have checked the plans sooner?"
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Unfortunately its a case of 'should've checked the plans sooner'.

Have a look at the planners decisions as there may be a planning condition that they have to provide planting to the side of their building, if not you could always approach them and ask if they'd mind if you put up a trellis and some climbing plants.

If you objected prior to planning being granted you may have got something, but at this stage, with the wall built you have no comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 apm0003

4 feet above the joining wall sounds pretty high. Have checked the actual plans submitted to the council for this extension ? People sometimes don't stick to the plans they got planning permission for !
    If this is what the planners permitted then there is nothing you can do at this stage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Spaco wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone can help here of if there is anything i can do, but here goes.
    Bought a house in the last 12 months and recently my neighbour started building a new extension. The PP was all done before i bought but they hadn't started for a while.
    Thing is, the new extension is 4 foot over the joining wall but also blocks out light into my kitchen (terraced house). So my small back yard is now like a cement hole.
    Just seeing if there is anything where a property can't block out so much light into an adjoining property or is it a case of "should have checked the plans sooner?"
    Thanks

If its built in accordance to the planning permission I dont think there is anything you do

Advertisement