Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Roche 'Tour De Cure'

• 25-02-2009 9:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭

Another Sportive for the diary: Midleton, Co. Cork, Saturday May 9th.

Check out: http://www.stephenrochetourdecure.com/ for further details. The site will be launched at the end of Feb.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Sounds good, I could be on for this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Any idea where it goes folks i.e distance? Site is under construction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

They had a Midleton 200 around the same time last year which came into Waterford and over the vee for part of it from what I remember. This could be the same event.

Edit: found this from last year - would be a nice spin - couple of tasty climbs but no real ballbreakers
    Leaving Midleton the route will head north out of County Cork and into Waterford going through Tallow, the historic town of Lismore before climbing The Vee and descending into Tipp. at Clogheen. The route will then head east to Clonmel before the second major climb of the day to Rathgormac and eventually heading south to the Gold Coast and into Dungarvan. Sticking close to the sea (not using the N25) the route heads out towards Rinn on to Old Parish and into the seaside town of Ardmore. Around the bay at Youghal through the town and then using some quiet roads (again staying off the N25) back to Midleton. While there are a number of climbs they are mainly based in the first half of the route. A good day out as an appetiser to the Wicklow 200!

showry wrote: »
    They had a Midleton 200 around the same time last year which came into Waterford and over the vee for part of it from what I remember. This could be the same event.

Edit: found this from last year - would be a nice spin - couple of tasty climbs but no real ballbreakers

Sounds good.... I'll prob be on for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 specialized

Attaching the latest PR Release Guys on this ....

Midleton Cycling Club, are pleased to present the inaugural Stephen Roche ‘Tour de Cure’ Charity Cycle Sportif on Saturday, 9th May 2009 in Midleton Co- Cork. Stephen Roche will be in attendance at the event to ride with the participants and support the causes.

Proceeds from this great ride will go towards supporting critical Cancer Care & Research Programs and Diabetes Awareness efforts in Ireland. The courses on offer have been individually selected and will loop through the beautiful East Cork and Waterford Counties. Participants will have a choice of 3 circuits, the 50km White Route for Novice riders, the 100km Purple Route for Leisure riders and the more challenging 200km Yellow Route for the active bike riders out there who want a challenge.

This event is organized to be fun, yet challenging for riders of all levels. All routes lead to a great experience!

The entry fee is 30 euro per rider and this includes a great Event Tee-Shirt, Rider certification, Feed Zone Refueling and Post-Ride Festivities along with other items. In addition we will also be organizing an auction where we hope to raise extra money for the causes from some great items that have been donated. We will showcase these on the event website launching this weekend where bidding can start.

Riders will be required to raise additional sponsorship via our sponsorship cards which can be downloaded or posted out to the individuals. (we have set the figure at € 100 Minimum but do appreciate the times we are living in at present!)

The Tour de Cure signifies a 'Ride for Hope" supporting the Irish Cancer Society and Diabetes Federation of Ireland. This event has been kindly sponsored by the ‘Johnson & Johnson’ group of companies.

For more information, visit www.stephenrochetourdecure.com or contact Derek Whyte [087 1320503] or Aidan Crowley [086 6055523].

• Advertisement

€30 entry + €100 min sponsorship is a bit much in my opinion. That will be me out. Why not have just the entry fee and people who want to raise more inevitably will? This is how the Sean Kelly works. Indeed the ROK has no entry fee and no minimum sponsorship but they seemed happy enough with my €50 contribution and over 2,000 riders took part. Some raised in the multiple thousands.

To be honest I do lots of these things and can't be raising sponsorship for each one. A €130 minimum is going to severely curtail the field.

hey blorg, fair point on the minimum sponsorship.... website isnt up yet anyhow to publicise this so i know the committee is meeting again to iron out latest plans ..... all voluntary with best intentions etc etc ....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

blorg wrote: »
    To be honest I do lots of these things and can't be raising sponsorship for each one. A €130 minimum is going to severely curtail the field.

I think you've hit on a very good point here and its something I've been meaning to raise a few times on here. A lot of sportifs now have some sort of fund raising element built in. Raising a couple of hundred quid is fine if you're doing one a year. But if you are a regular at these events, it just starts getting prohibitive. There's no way I want to be hitting up my friends and colleagues every couple of weeks during the summer months. On the other hand, I'd have no problem ponying up smaller amounts from my own pocket if part of it is going to charity.

hey blorg, fair point on the minimum sponsorship.... website isnt up yet anyhow to publicise this so i know the committee is meeting again to iron out latest plans ..... all voluntary with best intentions etc etc ....
    Appreciate that! To be honest I think you will raise more money if you keep it to a basic entry fee as you will get more people and the long term prospects will be better. The ROK as I say attracted over 2,000 last year and they are looking for 3,000 this year. The Sean Kelly more than doubled its entry to something similar IIRC. The Martin Early was in its inaugural year in 2008 but I am certainly going back next year and will bring more with me I am sure.

All of these rides had a charity, were excellently run and would be an excellent model. The basic entry fee keeps it inclusive but people are free to raise more should they wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 WLPD

Re the Minimum Charity amount. We changed our entry for the Westernlakes Polka Dot back to a basic entry and then letting riders donate extra if the wanted for 09 as a number of riders had said the 50 euro with 30 going directly to charity was a bit stiff in 08.It effected our entries. Also Croi do ask riders to raise a minimum amount but are more than happy to take what ever you give if you sign up on the day. Every euro counts in the end

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Trek Midleton

Looks like a great event.

Living in the Midleton area. I need to get in contact the local club. Looks like they are doing some great work.

Did any one go and see the National's champs in 2008.???:D

The Midleton CC guys put a lot of work into that event. I expect this will be at the same level.

hey Trek,

contact Derek Whyte [087 1320503] or meet up with the guys at 9am on a sunday as they all go for a spin from AN ROTHAR bike shop up off the mill road by the GAA Stadium.:)

Thanks will check it out

Any update on the €30 entry + €100 min sponsorship.

Is Stephen Roche riding this event ??? How did you guys get him involved ???

When is the site going live ??? can't wait to see it.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Site seems to be up and running now, still alot of information missing like the route are not available as of yet. I see they have reduced the min amount from €100 to €50 sponsorship which is needed to enter along with the €30 entrance fee
    Riders will be required to raise additional sponsorship via our sponsorship cards which can be downloaded soon or posted out to the individuals. (we have set the figure at €50 but do appreciate the times we are living in at present and of course you can donate more!...)

I still feel they should have left it at the €30 and allowed for optional sponsorship cards for those that wanted to try and raise something extra. That's the way the Sean Kelly one is I think

I think the €50 sponsorship and €30 is fair. Its good that these guys are willing to listen. I know the Sean Kelly has a hugh budget and when you look at the cancer link I think people will raise well over the €50 sponsorship.

At the end of the day cancer impacts a lot of people.

Would be good to get the routes up.

Is there a postal address for entry???

Can't see a web sign up either.

Have spoke to a lot of people on this. Seems to be a lot of interest.

any news on the routes and sponsorship cards.

Hoping to do the 200km. Any info on this ???????:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Entry form - Voila here you go! No route info yet except it will be 'yellow'?!

Cheers

You riding it ???????

Cheers

You riding it ???????

Hopefully, good chance there'll be a few of my lot up from Tralee for it to do the 100/200

• Advertisement

Tried the 200 km route today with 3 buddies. The climb uP the "VEE" was great. (First time for me) There are some great views up there.

Wind pick up on the way back, so we took a bit of a hammering

The 9th of May should be good with a big group.

An article on todays Echo about it. Looks like it will be big !!!!!

What's the route Trek?
    Up the vee from the Lismore side? Where to after that?

Grange

Ardfinnan

Clonmel

Mountain road
    Bitch !!!!!

Dungarvan

Through Youghal

Killeagh

Back to Midleton

Grange

Ardfinnan

Clonmel

Mountain road
    Bitch !!!!!

Dungarvan

Through Youghal

Killeagh

Back to Midleton

Any chance you could smack it in mapmyrun - I've tried but (like the Dub fans) I keep getting lost.... Would just like to see any climbs

Funkyzeit

Will do. give me a day or two. Up the walls a work.

Are yee thinking about riding it ????

Talk soon

Funkyzeit

Will do. give me a day or two. Up the walls a work.

Are yee thinking about riding it ????

Talk soon

Cool no worries !! Yea will prob do it -trying to rope a few more aswell... need the mileage pre Wicklow !

hey guys, the website is UPDATED NOW with all details on everything really ... last thing is to fire up the Auction Page and the description of the routes with towns etc and stops ....

www.stephenrochetourdecure.com

What's the route Trek?
    Up the vee from the Lismore side? Where to after that?
    Nice way to do it, the road surface is very good the Tiperrary side for descending, shakes you to bejaysus on the Waterford side (I have only done it up from Tipp and down to Lismore.)

Cheers specialized.

me and 4 buddies signed up today for 200km.

Seems to to a good buzz around the Midleton area adout the event.

• Advertisement

hey trek, nice one ... how do we get this out to a wider audience now ... i am emailing all clubs and getting this on irishcycling.com as a paid advert when i get around to doing it..

anymore suggestions anyone to get this to a wider audience...

Radio - Ray Darcy'd be a good one as he's a cyclist (well triathlete) himself and might have an interest esp seeing as Roche is associated with the event.

Either that or the papers - the Examiner should be a pretty safe bet as it's a munster and more importantly Cork event, you know, like.

(say last bit in Eddie Hobbs voice)

thanks che, i will look into these and get it out to brendan mooney of the examiner. Corks REDFM have just signed up to be the radio station of the day...

Some Cool auction items up now on the www.stephenrochetourdecure.com website ...

Signed Jerseys of celtic football, munster rugby, cork hurling, kerry football teams and a mark cavendish green sprinters jersey from the tour of ireland. Some good items.

Have many people on here signed up for this?
    I saw on the website that the closing date is 5th May.
    I had been planning on just signing up on the day, weather permitting, but I might just sign up anyway and decide on the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

el tonto wrote: »
    I think you've hit on a very good point here and its something I've been meaning to raise a few times on here. A lot of sportifs now have some sort of fund raising element built in. Raising a couple of hundred quid is fine if you're doing one a year. But if you are a regular at these events, it just starts getting prohibitive. There's no way I want to be hitting up my friends and colleagues every couple of weeks during the summer months. On the other hand, I'd have no problem ponying up smaller amounts from my own pocket if part of it is going to charity.

Also if you have to travel long distances to get to the event (as I would do if I was doing this one) then you would need to budget for accomodation, petrol/train fare/bus fare, meals etc.. The costs all stack up at the end of the day.

I did the ROK fairly cheap last year thanks to a lift down and staying in a youth hostel but for the Sean Kelly tour I wasn't left with much change out of 200 euro.

• Advertisement

@penexpers- The cost is now €30 with no mandatory sponsorship which I think is very reasonable. Props to the organisers for taking the feedback on board.

Good luck with the event, hope you get a good turnout, weather and of course fundraising. I would do it myself but I am doing the Tour of Ireland next week.

Anyone here taking this on?

Going up (down?) with some of the crew from home but'll be keeping an eye out for boardsies on the road if there's any going to be around.

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Anyone here taking this on?

Going up (down?) with some of the crew from home but'll be keeping an eye out for boardsies on the road if there's any going to be around.

will be heading over?? with a few lads from the club, looking forward to it

will be heading over?? with a few lads from the club, looking forward to it

Same thing here, see you on the road maybe. Should be a good spin if the weather holds for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Same thing here, see you on the road maybe. Should be a good spin if the weather holds for it.

...if the weather holds... forecast not pretty. "Mostly cloudy tomorrow with rain affecting many areas at times and the rain will be persistent and heavy in places. Cool with top temperatures of 10 to 13 degrees."

I'm down to do the 200k. Anybody else doing the long circuit? I'll need to bring a suitcase to cover clothes for all conditions.

• Advertisement

jdt101 wrote: »
    ...if the weather holds... forecast not pretty. "Mostly cloudy tomorrow with rain affecting many areas at times and the rain will be persistent and heavy in places. Cool with top temperatures of 10 to 13 degrees."

I'm down to do the 200k. Anybody else doing the long circuit? I'll need to bring a suitcase to cover clothes for all conditions.

Yup, saw that too, I'm going to be optimistic about it though (and still bring my overshoes)

It was a good spin, though it could have done with better signposting and more marshalling tbh.

Went round in a small but effective group that included jdt101 and his lovely cervelo. The hardest part was probably the last 60km or so into a headwind.
    I'm not sure how many did the 200, for a while we seemed to be the only riders on the road. Finished off with a feed of fruit cake and a chat with the great man.

It was a good spin, though it could have done with better signposting and more marshalling tbh.

That'd be my take on it aswell, very bad signage and near negligable marshalling. Good garda assistance in places though. They held maybe 60 of us in a big buch for the return to Midleton at 16mph with 10km to go; some sketchy moments with nervous riders hard on brakes and the bunch was all over the road. Lucky there wasn't incident. It was good for its inaugural run though (apparently 500 or so riders) & I'll go again next yr.

We were lucky with the weather in fairness, all but the first ~40mins was dry(ish) - but that headwind for the last 1/3 of the route made some real work of it though. Had a group of four of us working very strong but found a lot of others unwilling to do their turn on the front so ended up riding off the front of the main group and working for ourselves instead...

Roche was great for giving his time to chat and do the photo thing too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

Thank you showery and your club mates for getting our group to the finish. We certainly made easy work of a tough headwind from Dungarven to Midleton. The numbers that did the 200k did seem to be small. Great day had by all, apart from a few signs missing. I took wrong turn in Lismore and had to turn back to complete 200k circuit not 100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭kcphoto

This was the first one of these type of events that I have done. (100k)
    Thoroughly enjoyed it, although I found the section from Youghal, back along the main road, tough going against the wind.
    I had driven the route a few weeks ago so I had a good idea where I was going but there was a few junctions that could have had more sign posts or clearer road markings.
    Overall though , I would certainly hope to do it again next year and thanks to the organisers and volunteers for the event.

apparently its in planning already guys, just spoke to some of the guys who ran it last year. They are just about to allocate the funds they raised out after letting organisations and hospitals contact them telling them what they would do the money instead of just handing it over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 TREK

Hi Lads,

I’m working with the Midleton cc guys on this year’s TDC. (As opposed to just cycling it last year)

They have taken the feedback from last on routes, signage and food.

They have decreased the 200km route to 160km and have added a family route of 15km. (With the aim of getting younger people cycling)

Routes will now run South east direction towards youghal making it safer for riders.

Online entry is now opened at €40. But they are giving a great quality jersey (Made by Spin 11) and goodly bag for each rider.

For all you racers out there will be a A2, A3, & A4 crit race on the Sunday. With Stephen Roche riding the “Race of Champions”

Great W/E of cycling for everyone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

What date is it on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 TREK

8th May 2010

More details on www.stephenrochetourdecure.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

i signed up on friday

my first ever sportif, ooh :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement