Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Roche 'Tour De Cure'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 TREK

Cool. What did you sign up for............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

Can anyone involved with the event give some details of the 160 km route? I'm signed up anyway but just curious...

These are not yet confirm but this should give you an idea

160KM
    Out the N25 to beyond Youghal and left to Clashmore. Keep north on that road and cross the N72 (Cappaquin to Dungarvan road) and keep north until near Ballymacarbry (Dungarvan to Clonmel Rd). Through Ballymacabry to the outskirts of Clonmel. Turn Left and head for Ardfinan, Clogheen and The Vee to Lismore and back Midleton.

100KM

Out the N25 to beyond Youghal left at youghal brigde up Glendine through Knockanore and onto Lismore, Tallow back to Midleton.

The confirm routes should be up on the site soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

TREK wrote: »
    Cool. What did you sign up for............

the 100km route, its my first one, so i didnt want to go over my head too much

i do plan on doing a few though, really looking forward to it

last time i went to Cork i got food poisining, so it'll be nice to be back down there

oh the days of sir henrys are long gone :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

TREK wrote: »
    160KM
    Out the N25 to beyond Youghal and left to Clashmore. Keep north on that road and cross the N72 (Cappaquin to Dungarvan road) and keep north until near Ballymacarbry (Dungarvan to Clonmel Rd). Through Ballymacabry to the outskirts of Clonmel. Turn Left and head for Ardfinan, Clogheen and The Vee to Lismore and back Midleton.

I've mapped out what that would look like. I didn't know the location of the start/finish in Midleton so I just went for a spot in the town centre.

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/midleton/849126571083835358

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

im signied up for the 100,am looking forword to it i must say,my first sportif also:)..

Route maps for 100km & 160km up on TDC face book page.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=271123992859

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Have signed up for the 100. Will be my first foray into this whole sportif malarkay as well. Looking forward to it, should be good preparation for the WW200, will find out what it's like riding in a bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Bobbins

Hi all,

Can anyone give me any idea how challenging the 100km route is (for a novice who is not the fittest and new to road bikes)? Did the Sean Kelly (100km on a hybrid) last year but haven't really had the opportunity to get out much (at all!!) this year. Any advice would be appreciated!

Bobbins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Bobbins wrote: »
    Hi all,

Can anyone give me any idea how challenging the 100km route is (for a novice who is not the fittest and new to road bikes)? Did the Sean Kelly (100km on a hybrid) last year but haven't really had the opportunity to get out much (at all!!) this year. Any advice would be appreciated!

Bobbins.

It looks a bit easier than the Kelly 100, very flat as far as Youghal, a few slight drags between Clashmore and Cappoquin but nothing like the pull out of Ballymac on the Kelly although there's a bit of a climb between Tallow and Dungourney.

http://www.stephenrochetourdecure.com/routes2010.php

I signed up for the 160 last night, had an email from the organisers saying that there were 690 entries so far with a maximum of 1000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Bobbins wrote: »
    Hi all,

Bobbins.
    Hi
    How did u find doing it on a hybrid were you able to keep up to a bunch or did u have to go it alone have bought a hybrid and want to a sportif but am afraid i will not be able to keep up hate to have to cycle it on my own averaging around the 24 km per hour but am only doing about 40km now.
    Mike

showry wrote: »
    It looks a bit easier than the Kelly 100, very flat as far as Youghal, a few slight drags between Clashmore and Cappoquin but nothing like the pull out of Ballymac on the Kelly although there's a bit of a climb between Tallow and Dungourney.

http://www.stephenrochetourdecure.com/routes2010.php

I signed up for the 160 last night, had an email from the organisers saying that there were 690 entries so far with a maximum of 1000.

Thanks for the reply! Was beginning to panic as saw on the site info that there is a grade 1 climb...no idea what that is...so was imagining the worst! If it's not as bad as the Kelly, then I stand some chance. Thanks again and good luck with the 160...maybe next year for me...:eek:

mike12 wrote: »
    Hi
    How did u find doing it on a hybrid were you able to keep up to a bunch or did u have to go it alone have bought a hybrid and want to a sportif but am afraid i will not be able to keep up hate to have to cycle it on my own averaging around the 24 km per hour but am only doing about 40km now.
    Mike

TBH I found the Kelly tough but manageable but I had done a bit of cycling during the year so had more miles under the belt (or pedals!) at that time last year. There was a few people on hybrids...my OH included. You'd always find someone to cycle with and I would think 24hm/hr is fairly respectable. The conditions were brutal and we definitely didn't win any land speed records but it was an achievement and the first time we had done anything like it..I'm only cycling since last year. I'd say go for...if I can do it anyone can :p Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

So are many planning to do this? Closing date is coming up soon......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

the 27-4 . think il do it .will do the 3 peaks sunday .i would not mind a weekend away , but the girlfriend might :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Folks,

Did anyone do last years one. Is it worth the long trek from Dublin. I was thinking of signing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

I am going to register for this.

Does anyone know if there is a Size Chart for the Jerseys. Spin 11 is the manufacturer if that helps. Ill plug for a large if i cant get data, on the assumption they are small fitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

My club kit is Spin 11 and it is "race fit." Slightly tighter than other jerseys but appropriate for racing which is what I do in it. I take the same size in it as all my other jerseys. If you wanted loose maybe go 1 size up.

Nothing like the Sean Kelly small, now they were small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I'm signed up and rarin' to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭imola94

Lads, anyone know when they send out the jerseys? Or do you collect them on the day? Got the sponsorship cards alright but was expecting the jersey any day.

• Advertisement

ive had to pull out :(

ive to install new flooring into the trinity college cafe during that weekend, and quite frankly, work is so slow i cant refuse the money :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

Signed up. means I'll have to get up early that morning!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

ive had to pull out :(

ive to install new flooring into the trinity college cafe during that weekend, and quite frankly, work is so slow i cant refuse the money :(:(

Hi Chris,

I would be interested in doing it. Would you liek to donate the reg number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

imola94 wrote: »
    was expecting the jersey any day.

I reckon the jersey will be put out on the day tbh, it would cost a fortune on postage.

@signal: sure an early morning in May is something to look forward to! That given you might wake me when your leaving west so I can roll over for a second sleep:P

billyhead wrote: »
    Hi Chris,

I would be interested in doing it. Would you liek to donate the reg number

ive not got a number, but you're more than welcome to use my name if you want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Just signed up for the 160, hope to have a good day on the bike.

done the same .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭murf85

Have ye all received yer race number for the Tour De Cure?

Signed up nearly two weeks ago for the 160km and still havnt received anything...starting to worry a bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

No have received nothing yet, nothing to panic about either I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

Just to let people know that the road surface on the descent off The Vee into Lismore is grim.
    I do it regularly enough on my training bike on softish 28mm tyres and its tolerable. My friend was with me yesterday on a stiff bike with hard 23mms and he didn't enjoy it one little bit.Had to stop in Lismore to get some feeling back in his hands.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Doing the 100, only have the sponsorship card so far. Wouldn't worry too much.

I see there will be entry into a draw for the Unovelo bike which Stephen will be riding on the day for anyone who collects 150 euro plus for charity. A good incentive there.

Is it an image of beauty or not though? I like it and will be getting the 150 together pronto.

Also, if anyone knows - where does it start from? Are there shower facilities after it? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

damoz wrote: »
    I see there will be entry into a draw for the Unovelo bike which Stephen will be riding on the day for anyone who collects 150 euro plus for charity. A good incentive there.

Is it an image of beauty or not though? I like it and will be getting the 150 together pronto.

Also, if anyone knows - where does it start from? Are there shower facilities after it? Thanks

Registration is in Midelton GAA club

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Registration is in Midelton GAA club

Does anyone know what time registration is on the morning or indeed what time does it all start at?

imola94 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what time registration is on the morning or indeed what time does it all start at?

Registration is 8am for the 100 and 160 km - start at 8:30 am

(50 is @ 10:30, 15 @ 12:30)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Damn it, havent signed up yet. Is there registration on the day?

Good man thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Jumpy wrote: »
    Damn it, havent signed up yet. Is there registration on the day?

There's registration on the day, the cost is €50 and a limited number of jerseys available on the day.

the last time i was in cork ,is a story for another forum , any land marks near the gaa grounds .

longitude and latitude of it would be better for the garmin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Gunth

If you have already registered online is it okay to arrive at 8am for the safety briefing? I am assuming that the 7am registration is for those who have not signed up online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I really wanted to do this. A friend who lives down in Cork is doing it but he is cycling around with work mates and I don't think I made the cut.

Have fun everyone who is taking part!

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I really wanted to do this. A friend who lives down in Cork is doing it but he is cycling around with work mates and I don't think I made the cut.

Have fun everyone who is taking part!

You can cycle with us if you want. We are only doing the 100 and may not be up to the standards of grinny Italia man though.

Jumpy wrote: »
    You can cycle with us if you want. We are only doing the 100 and may not be up to the standards of grinny Italia man though.

Ha! I would like to but it's more the cost of staying over.I was hoping to stay with my friend but there is always next year. I would drive down and back on the morning of it if Cork weren't so far. How long is Cork to Dublin now with the motorway? It may be possible....

3 hours 5 mins according to AA

That's not bad. I'll have to sleep on it though.

• Advertisement

you will do it fairly quick at that hour of a sat morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

2ish hours from red cow to dunkettle roundabout (without breaking limits :) ) and about 20 mins or less to Midleton. Give it 2 1/2 from red cow to Midleton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

Anyone on here who is doing the 100 or the 160 on Saturday,and is cycling on their own,but would like some company,then feel free to join Sportive Waterford CC en route. We have 5 or 6 riders in both distances and will be easily recognisable in our blue and white gear. We will hopefully cover the 160 at about 27 or 28 kph average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Does anyone know anything about the crit on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

I thought registration was 7am to 8am and the briefing is at 8 am. That means I get an extra hour in bed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement